PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Help Seriously Needed Any Advice Appreciated

Natsylicious
Aug 23, 2005, 09:14 AM
I Have a 15GB Touch Screen Ipod and have had it for just over a year, i received it as a birthday present and know it was bought from America and seeing as i live in the UK I cant take it back to where it was bought from.

In the last week it has been freezing constantly and gettin stuck and when i tried to plug it in the computer to reset it or try and download some new software to it it kept crashing the computer!

I dont really know what to do, has anyone got any ideas what could be wrong with it or how i can fix it? If not does anyone know anything that i can do at all? Pleassseee Help

Natalie

doucy2
Aug 23, 2005, 09:17 AM
touch screen ipod
never knew they existed

Applespider
Aug 23, 2005, 09:19 AM
There hasn't been a touch screen iPod. Is it the one with the 4 buttons just below the screen and then the touch wheel just below that? I think that model (3G) was the last one that came in 15GB

The other thing we need to know is whether you're using it on a Mac or on a PC - the advice may vary as to why it might be crashing. One thing that can sometimes prove useful either way is running it down completely so that it won't turn on before recharging and restoring it.

The other option, if you're anywhere near London, Bluewater or Birmingham, is to take it into the Apple Stores there, make an appointment with a Genius and see what they say (and no, you don't have to have bought it there although they can only replace/repair them there if it's still under warranty)

Chundles
Aug 23, 2005, 09:21 AM
I Have a 15GB Touch Screen Ipod and have had it for just over a year, i received it as a birthday present and know it was bought from America and seeing as i live in the UK I cant take it back to where it was bought from.

In the last week it has been freezing constantly and gettin stuck and when i tried to plug it in the computer to reset it or try and download some new software to it it kept crashing the computer!

I dont really know what to do, has anyone got any ideas what could be wrong with it or how i can fix it? If not does anyone know anything that i can do at all? Pleassseee Help

Natalie

OK, make sure you have the iPod fully charged by plugging it into the wall. Follow the reset procedure (keep it plugged into the wall, put it on hold, take it off hold and hold down the menu and play buttons for about 6 to 10 seconds until the screen goes blank and the Apple logo pops up. Let it do it's thing until it looks ready to go then unplug it from the wall and plug it into the computer, if you have all your music on your computer and could stand to do a full restore do it via the iPod software updater.

Hope this helps.

Natsylicious
Aug 23, 2005, 09:27 AM
Sorry, thats what i meant by touch screen, the 4 buttons that below the screen that are touch sensitive.

I am doing it on a normal pc as well, thank you for all your help

Applespider
Aug 23, 2005, 09:34 AM
I am doing it on a normal pc as well, thank you for all your help

To most of us here, a normal pc is a Mac ;) I'll guess that you mean you're using Windows XP (any idea if it's got SP2 installed - there can be a few problems with that).

Try the resetting while plugged in initially and let us know how it goes. If it's still crashing the PC, it might be at the Windows iTunes side rather than the iPod side. So it might also be worth visiting the Apple discussion boards (under support and using iPod under Windows) or iLounge.com (previously ipodlounge.com) where there are probably a few people who are more used to troubleshooting Windows.

XNine
Aug 23, 2005, 09:50 AM
OK, make sure you have the iPod fully charged by plugging it into the wall. Follow the reset procedure (keep it plugged into the wall, put it on hold, take it off hold and hold down the menu and play buttons for about 6 to 10 seconds until the screen goes blank and the Apple logo pops up. Let it do it's thing until it looks ready to go then unplug it from the wall and plug it into the computer, if you have all your music on your computer and could stand to do a full restore do it via the iPod software updater.

Hope this helps.

Hey, this was my advice! :D

The above directions are honestly the bestway to see if your iPod is screwed. Of course, it doesn't help that you're running Winblows. I had, the other night, a lady trying to set an iPod up on her IBM Thinkpad and the isntaller kept crashing. Go figure.