PDA

View Full Version : Anyone has successfully ported their iOS game to Android?

greirdo
Sep 24, 2012, 11:56 PM
Hi guys, I am developer in Singapore and I am developing an iOS game (almost finished), and I want to have it on* both iOS and Android as I launch it.*

I’ve been coding on Xcode ever since the first app I developed and in my opinion Xcode is the best IDE. :D I really don’t want to switch the environment and recode everything in Java/C++ or HTML5.

Last week I found this post from Cocos2d StellaSDK: port your cocos2d-iphone games to Android (http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org/archives/2013) . It’s about a tool called Stella SDK. It took me several hours to get my iOS game running on their Android simulator. After removing some parts, it actually compiled into an apk, but crash at some point on my galaxy device.

Just wondering anyone has experience on stella sdk (http://www.yeecco.com/stella)? Or other similar tools? I think it’s relatively new and there’s not too much information online. I hope there’s someone here to share their experience with me. It seems quite impressive to me at this stage, this can be something I was looking for.

ps. my game is a casual game building on Cocos2d, written in pure Objective C.

cheers...:)

shaein
Sep 25, 2012, 01:22 AM
hey greirdo, i am exactly like you, a big fan of xcode.
i have tried Corona SDK, which is good for 2d game development, i actually used it for a short while. but i found learning lua cost me a lot of time, although it's not that difficult and i am not too comfortable of the subscription.
anyway, i think this is interesting, i will definitely have a look at it and see whether i can bring up some discussions with you. is the tool free though?

greirdo
Sep 25, 2012, 01:36 AM
hey greirdo, i am exactly like you, a big fan of xcode.
i have tried Corona SDK, which is good for 2d game development, i actually used it for a short while. but i found learning lua cost me a lot of time, although it's not that difficult and i am not too comfortable of the subscription.
anyway, i think this is interesting, i will definitely have a look at it and see whether i can bring up some discussions with you. is the tool free though?

yes, it is for free, there is a version for samsung. but basically works for all android devices.

ArtOfWarfare
Sep 25, 2012, 12:46 PM
My thoughts on porting: Don't.

It's either worth the effort of writing the app and doing it right or it's not worth doing at all.

Your resources will be reusable. A lot of your C code will be reusable. You'll need to rewrite your Obj-C code to be Java. So learn Java and learn Eclipse and write your app as a native Android app, if that seems worth doing. If it doesn't seem worth doing, then don't do it.

If you try taking shortcuts, the quality of your app will suffer, your customers will dislike you, and you'll have a tarnished record.

If your aim is to make money directly from the app, then Android is definitely a poor choice of platform. My understanding is that iOS has far more paying customers than Android. (Plus Android is hell to develop for.)

greirdo
Sep 26, 2012, 05:01 AM
My thoughts on porting: Don't.

It's either worth the effort of writing the app and doing it right or it's not worth doing at all.

Your resources will be reusable. A lot of your C code will be reusable. You'll need to rewrite your Obj-C code to be Java. So learn Java and learn Eclipse and write your app as a native Android app, if that seems worth doing. If it doesn't seem worth doing, then don't do it.

If you try taking shortcuts, the quality of your app will suffer, your customers will dislike you, and you'll have a tarnished record.

If your aim is to make money directly from the app, then Android is definitely a poor choice of platform. My understanding is that iOS has far more paying customers than Android. (Plus Android is hell to develop for.)

That's true. However, my App is a free app, just wannna see if more users will download from Android, and hopefully some can click on IAP.

truehybridx
Jun 6, 2013, 04:18 PM
On top of that you might give Cocos2d-X a try. It lets you use C++ for most of the code and only need Obj-C and Java on their respective platforms to load it

Thats what im starting off with after i get most of my assets made up