Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i'm suprised, but knowing dixons they dont know jack about macs so they are probably surprised at it not selling well so discounted it as not many apple faithfull shop at dixons....

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
If you also use "DISCOUNT25" as your coupon, you get a further £25.00 off bringing the cost of a 20" Apple Cinema Display to £372.97! Bargin :)

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
nesbitt_a said:
If you also use "DISCOUNT25" as your coupon, you get a further £25.00 off bringing the cost of a 20" Apple Cinema Display to £372.97! Bargin :)

Arrrgh!! I've just ordered a 24" Dell display and now I'm wondering whether I should have gone with the Apple 20 inch. Oh decisions, decisions. :-s

Steve

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
KyleC said:
dang, tried to buy, says due to high demand i cannot order

is their another site discussing this?

Well I've just placed an order and it appears to have gone through.

I've not had an email to confirm yet but the display is showing as "in-stock" so fingers crossed.

As soon as I get confirmation I have to cancel the Dell order. :-s

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
nesbitt_a said:

And thanks for that tip by the way!

The coupon code was accepted. :)

Steve

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
They'll honour it - the .97 ending means they've shifted it over to clearance stock to get rid of it. Worth a go if you're looking for one.

Applespider

macrumors G4
I'd have thought if it was a mistake, they'd have taken it off by now. Mistakes don't usually last an hour the next morning... and you'd think they'd have sales monitoring software to spot anomalies like lots of sudden orders on a product.

The bad news is that even if you get an order confirmation email, it's probably carefully worded to say that they've got your order but not yet accepted your offer to purchase so that they can cancel it if necessary. Not until you get that 'payment taken/shipped' email can you relax.

Good luck to all who have ordered!

Bakey

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2003
O Donny Boy
nesbitt_a said:

Big, big thanks fellas; I've just ordered one!! Gaining me a grand saving of £132.28 as I would have bought one from the Education store at £505.25.

For those of you out there not wishing to risk the Education route [I am a legit student by the way] the savings to be had through purchasing from Dixons is as nice £176.03!!

Big thanks once again... now I need to come up with a suitable excuse for the Mrs. as to why yet another huge box has been delivered by the courier!!

On a side question, for the moment I'd like to run this fella from my Windows box [awaiting the 'possible' mini announcements at Paris before purchasing Mac desktop replacement] -- could anybody recommend a "cheap" AGP card that would power it? I don't know one ATI from the other as I've always been a Matrox boy...

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Wow! I am getting a mac mini, and it was gonna be a ****** 17" LCD.. But now I can have an ACD!

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
now i feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but my dad decided he wants a 23: acd....

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
Applespider said:
I'd have thought if it was a mistake, they'd have taken it off by now. Mistakes don't usually last an hour the next morning... and you'd think they'd have sales monitoring software to spot anomalies like lots of sudden orders on a product.

One thing that makes me wonder about this offer is that the Apple display doesn't seem to show up when browsing the Apple area or the monitor area.

The only way I've spotted the display is by doing a keyword search so maybe they've just not sold any for a long time? Possible I suppose.

However, Dixons rarely "give" things away in my experience. They did have an excellent deal on the G5 Dual 2.5 awhile ago though. Think it was £999 but was out of stock. :-(

Steve

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Dammit i missed out on that one as i hesitated before clicking the add to basket button. :( :( :(

Do i really need one?...... no

Do i want one though?...... yes, especially at that price!

oh b*gger. actually i'd really love the 23 inch model as in the apple store recently i thought the 20 inch looked a bit small - but that one costs as much as my powerbook did, which is a little extortionate for just a display i think.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
dietcokevanilla said:
oh b*gger. actually i'd really love the 23 inch model as in the apple store recently i thought the 20 inch looked a bit small - but that one costs as much as my powerbook did, which is a little extortionate for just a display i think.

Hmm... it's out of stock now. Interesting. :-s

Hope I get a dispatch email before I go bananas.

I wanted the 23 inch too and considered buying it but the Dell was too much cheaper to justify it. Even if I did want something that matches the powerbook and powermac.

However, I honestly can't see me *needing* a 24 inch screen. I sit right next to the monitor and the extra width of a 20 inch should be fine... I hope!

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I called several Dixons stores in London earlier this morning and most of them said that they never carried the Apple displays in-store anyway, you'd have to get it online or at PC World (part of the same group). They also said it is a discontinued line hence the price, and checked the warehouse and said it's totally out of stock. I called PC World in Fulham and they have 6 available but they are the usual price. Currys online has a couple of quid off the usual price but is also saying out of stock - they are part of the Dixons group too.

Oh well, i tried. Congratulations to all those who managed to get one. If anyone has bought one just because of the deal and doesn't really need it then please PM me ;)

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
dietcokevanilla said:
Oh well, i tried. Congratulations to all those who managed to get one. If anyone has bought one just because of the deal and doesn't really need it then please PM me ;)

Well, I've had two emails confirming the order now but they don't give definite confirmation until the third and final despatch email. Grrr. :)

Steve

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
how is it that they're selling this thing for what 1/2 price?
it seems odd to me.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
jessica. said:
how is it that they're selling this thing for what 1/2 price?
it seems odd to me.

Because it is clearance stock. I rang around earlier and apparently they are discontinuing this line - not at Apple obviously - but the Dixons group are no longer selling it. not quite 1/2 price but about £150 off (£175 off with that voucher code)

am still so gutted i missed out :(

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Its out fo stock now so there must have been some huge demand, not surprised at that price.....
Even though dixons is probably the last place i would go to buy anything mac people seem to have found out about the offer pretty quick,

SHadoW

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
shadowmoses said:
Its out fo stock now so there must have been some huge demand, not surprised at that price.....
Even though dixons is probably the last place i would go to buy anything mac people seem to have found out about the offer pretty quick,

SHadoW

Yeah I'm not a fan of Dixons but I'll make an exception at this price. :)

Although I'll still not believe it until the screen arrives on my doorstep!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.