PDA

View Full Version : Day 1 on the Galaxy S3 - wow, um... so behind

mzjin
Sep 25, 2012, 07:57 AM
Let's see where to start...

Positives? Big screen. 4G LTE free tethering apps. Way better Google Voice integration. 4G talk + data at the same time (comes in handy when you're waiting on for customer support or something).

Everything else? Some bad, some REALLY bad:

1) Display has awful color shifts - there is simply no "perfect" viewing angle. The center is warmer than the top and bottom. The display is also incapable of displaying a white background, the best it gets is a vague light yellow.

2) Responsiveness. Still a year behind the 4S, probably 2 years behind the 5. Jelly bean can't come soon enough.

3) Stability. Play Store crashed multiple times. Flipboard is unresponsive on launch. Even Gmail has crashed a few times already.

4) Autobrightness is a joke - needed to pay for a $2.99 app for a function that should have been perfected on the phone.

5) Audio quality - Hiss hiss hiss on quiet songs. Wow, you don't notice these quality issues you give up on these things until you're not using an iPHone anymore.

I won't get into app disparity, build quality or anything, but by itself, the GS3 is just so far behind software and hardware wise, it's really sad. Being returned, and back to considering another iPHone 5.

Vegastouch
Sep 25, 2012, 08:43 AM
Think id take It back and get another since i cant agree with any of that

nestafaria
Sep 25, 2012, 08:51 AM
I agree with brightness issues and the overall screen is mediocre, besides being larger its a step down from iphone 4. I didn't have any other issues with the phone.

The iGentleman
Sep 25, 2012, 08:51 AM

Positives? Big screen. 4G LTE free tethering apps. Way better Google Voice integration. 4G talk + data at the same time (comes in handy when you're waiting on for customer support or something).

1) Display has awful color shifts - there is simply no "perfect" viewing angle. The center is warmer than the top and bottom. The display is also incapable of displaying a white background, the best it gets is a vague light yellow.

2) Responsiveness. Still a year behind the 4S, probably 2 years behind the 5. Jelly bean can't come soon enough.

3) Stability. Play Store crashed multiple times. Flipboard is unresponsive on launch. Even Gmail has crashed a few times already.

4) Autobrightness is a joke - needed to pay for a $2.99 app for a function that should have been perfected on the phone.

5) Audio quality - Hiss hiss hiss on quiet songs. Wow, you don't notice these quality issues you give up on these things until you're not using an iPHone anymore.

I won't get into app disparity, build quality or anything, but by itself, the GS3 is just so far behind software and hardware wise, it's really sad. Being returned, and back to considering another iPHone 5.

lol, that's what I think of the iPhone 5...a new phone that doesn't even match what's already available on the market. It's still a year behind...

daveathall
Sep 25, 2012, 09:03 AM

Take it back, it's broken. Non of the above is in line with my experiences with the phone.

b24pgg
Sep 25, 2012, 09:05 AM
Play store crashed multiple times? Something is wrong. That has never happened to me in 3 years of using an Android phone

zbarvian
Sep 25, 2012, 09:58 AM
Android is just less stable and less tuned for specific hardware. Then you throw another layer of manufacturer/carrier skin and apps on top, and you're bound to have much buggy, unresponsive software. Android being generic is also why it is less polished than iOS, it needs to run on a wide range of devices and specs.

Personally I think it's one of the most glaring flaws in Android, and one that they really can't remedy without stepping on their "open" principle. Being "open" isn't all that advantageous to being "closed," in my opinion.

cynics
Sep 25, 2012, 10:53 AM
You're doomed. With iOS 6 I have problems with the App Store crashing and auto brightness. Plus a crap ton of other things, maps, FB notifications not making sounds, worse battery life, some apps less stable (tapatalk mostly), some apps lag (messaging and facebook are most noticable), etc....

Look on ebay for a 4S running 5.1.1 is my only suggestion. Or wait and hope iOS 6.x is better.

Good luck

Mrg02d
Sep 25, 2012, 11:08 AM
I was about to say, those are all the complaints I have with the ip5!

See what I did there? Give it a rest...GS3 is an outstanding phone. Why else would so many here have left iOS for it? DUH?

Sincci
Sep 25, 2012, 12:15 PM

I would assume that this applies only to the US versions of S3 since they are using a different sound chip than the international version is using.

LSUtigers03
Sep 25, 2012, 12:26 PM
I would assume that this applies only to the US versions of S3 since they are using a different sound chip than the international version is using.

Doesn't apply to mine.

OP if you would have had similar issues with an iPhone would you think it's because the phone sucks or would you think that it's a defective device?

Gatecrasher1875
Sep 25, 2012, 12:26 PM

you either got a duff phone or are trolling, I got my S3 on Saturday and had none of these problems.

Both the S3 and iPhone 5 are top of the range phones with different personalities (its like choosing between Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers or Ronaldo and Messi), Can we not just leave it at that?

Rocky244
Sep 25, 2012, 12:31 PM
you either got a duff phone or are trolling, I got my S3 on Saturday and had none of these problems.

Both the S3 and iPhone 5 are top of the range phones with different personalities (its like choosing between Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers or Ronaldo and Messi), Can we not just leave it at that?

Except Ronaldo is obviously far superior to Messi... ;)

dmelgar
Sep 25, 2012, 12:35 PM
I was about to say, those are all the complaints I have with the ip5!

See what I did there? Give it a rest...GS3 is an outstanding phone. Why else would so many here have left iOS for it? DUH?

No way. The iPhone 5 display is the best available. Claiming otherwise is not credible.

Mrg02d
Sep 25, 2012, 12:42 PM
No way. The iPhone 5 display is the best available. Claiming otherwise is not credible.

Credible? :rolleyes:

thejadedmonkey
Sep 25, 2012, 12:47 PM

Could you define best? Blackest blacks? fastest response time? brightest colors?

nestafaria
Sep 25, 2012, 12:59 PM
http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

Dontazemebro
Sep 25, 2012, 01:14 PM

The HTC One X would have been a much better comparison than the GS3

OSMac
Sep 25, 2012, 01:18 PM
It's just too bad Apple does not offer a larger iPhone
or at least have similar font adjustments like the S3.

Too often, too small fonts mean side to side scrolling on 4S or 5.
After using a larger Android screen I could not go back to that.

I agree on one point,
I'd take the iPhone's LCD tech over OLED anytime.

The S3 is smooth enough to enjoy using,
no it's not 4S/5 iOS perfect,
but its no longer a deal breaker like in past Android offerings.

Apple should have went true 720p with 4 and 5" device,
then Samsung and the others might as well shut down.

As it is now I see many taking an s3 over the 5, given the lack of google maps, scruffs, and small screen.

nickchallis92
Sep 25, 2012, 01:59 PM
If you're going to make up rubbish about the Galaxy S3 then at least make it sound realistic.

1)the Play store has never crashed, ever

2)the audio on the S3 is exceptional

matttye
Sep 25, 2012, 02:12 PM

1) Disagree. Display is great. You seem to be nitpicking or have a faulty display.

2) Agree (kinda). I have an S3 with Jelly Bean and an iPhone 5. Jelly Bean is a massive improvement in terms of smoothness but the iPhone 5 is on another level. It just responds instantly to everything. No thinking time necessary, you touch and it responds immediately. There is a slight delay with Android that you don't really notice until you use an iPhone.

3) Don't have any of those problems. Apps only crash occasionally.

4) No problem with auto brightness (again on Jelly Bean). It jumps suddenly sometimes, but seems okay for the most part.

5) Again, no problems here. Not sure what you're talking about!

LSUtigers03
Sep 25, 2012, 02:57 PM
2) Agree (kinda). I have an S3 with Jelly Bean and an iPhone 5. Jelly Bean is a massive improvement in terms of smoothness but the iPhone 5 is on another level. It just responds instantly to everything. No thinking time necessary, you touch and it responds immediately. There is a slight delay with Android that you don't really notice until you use an iPhone.

Do you have the iPhone on a different line or do you use an adapter?

matttye
Sep 25, 2012, 03:06 PM
Do you have the iPhone on a different line or do you use an adapter?

Different line. I have a nano-SIM to micro-SIM adapter but its my micro-SIM that has the phone number I want to keep, so I'm going to pay off that contract so I can switch the number to my nano.

G51989
Sep 25, 2012, 03:08 PM

You should look at HTC's flagship phone.

Or look at the 920's screen, on paper its better than both.

mackinmike
Sep 25, 2012, 03:22 PM

are you sure u didn't buy a china knock off? my friend from HK came back with some knockoffs and physically, they look the same if you're not familiar with the phone. performance-wise, the knockoff begins to show it's true colors against a real s3.

charlieegan3
Sep 25, 2012, 03:36 PM
This just sounds like you got a bad device, this happens on iPhone too.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 25, 2012, 06:05 PM

This statement alone tells me your just trolling.

More trolling.

Playstore never crashed on me. Flipboard is one of the most responsive apps. I know cause I press launch it often by mistake when I confuse it's icon with FreeiD YouTube player. It always loads up lighting fast and ready to be flipped right away.

Yes, Autobrightness on the GS3 does suck. But I keep my brightness at full most of the time anyways. the battery still lasts me a day.

Let me guess, you pirated low bitrate music. ;)

Music quality is good on the GS3.

Have fun with your 5.

blackhand1001
Sep 25, 2012, 06:09 PM

Sorry but as far as LCD displays go, the one x, and atrix HD have better screens than the iPhone 5.

Wrathwitch
Sep 25, 2012, 06:35 PM

Take it back, it's broken. Non of the above is in line with my experiences with the phone.

Doesn't apply to mine.

OP if you would have had similar issues with an iPhone would you think it's because the phone sucks or would you think that it's a defective device?

1) Disagree. Display is great. You seem to be nitpicking or have a faulty display.

3) Don't have any of those problems. Apps only crash occasionally.

4) No problem with auto brightness (again on Jelly Bean). It jumps suddenly sometimes, but seems okay for the most part.

5) Again, no problems here. Not sure what you're talking about!

This just sounds like you got a bad device, this happens on iPhone too.

Do these posts not give you the hint that instead of being really dissatisfied with the phone and waxing on how terrible it is, that perhaps, just perhaps you got a defective phone?

Jesus, if you had these problems with the iPHone, you would be rushing to the Apple Store instead of complaining about it on a forum. Try the same thing with the S3

:rolleyes:

mzjin
Sep 25, 2012, 06:54 PM
Do these posts not give you the hint that instead of being really dissatisfied with the phone and waxing on how terrible it is, that perhaps, just perhaps you got a defective phone?

Jesus, if you had these problems with the iPHone, you would be rushing to the Apple Store instead of complaining about it on a forum. Try the same thing with the S3

After comparing mine with the store display models, mine is not at all defective.

1) If you can't see the brightness shift and viewing angle inferiority of the S3, you are blind. As a bat. Sorry, we can't all have great vision.

2) Smoothness... wow you guys really are trolling. Ice Cream sandwhich is like 3GS level. Flipboard is like lag patrol. iPhone 4 is way faster than this thing, forget 4S. The 5 feels like a Quad Core laptop with an SSD in comparison, and is on a completely different level altogether.

3) The Audio has a base level HISS. This has nothing to do with GS3's audio quality, just noise filtering. If you plug headphones into an iPhone you get NO backgground hiss. GS3? Background HISS.

Listen to Classical music like I do? YEs, you can hear it in the quiet movements.

Evoken
Sep 25, 2012, 06:59 PM
Auto brightness can easily be turned off in the notifications. There is a slider for the brightness there and a checkbox for auto brightness. If you don't have it, perform a software update then it should come up.

mzjin
Sep 25, 2012, 07:08 PM
Auto brightness can easily be turned off in the notifications. There is a slider for the brightness there and a checkbox for auto brightness. If you don't have it, perform a software update then it should come up.

The point is that Autobrightness... should WORK. It should not be at lowest brightness in almost all circumstances. It should max out your brightness when you're in the sun. It should only be at the lowest brightness level when you're in pitch black darkness.

I had to use LUX to get Autobrightness working like an iPhone does. $2.99 App that Google's developers couldn't get right.

Mrg02d
Sep 25, 2012, 08:31 PM
What I find funny is iDevice people deciding that tiny flaws in an android device make it "trash" but go out of their way to defend an iDevice. They also GROSSLY over exaggerate problems with android. You yuppies forget many of us also have iDevice to compare to so we KNOW WHAT THE HELL we are talking about!

I've always had an android phone and have had my iPad 3 since day one. I'm familiar with iOS as well as android. The garbage you apple people post is appalling.

Jagardn
Sep 25, 2012, 08:38 PM
If you're going to make up rubbish about the Galaxy S3 then at least make it sound realistic.

1)the Play store has never crashed, ever

2)the audio on the S3 is exceptional

Yup, I guess that means because I am having none of the problems being reported on the forums with my iPhone, no one else's problems exist.

WRXHokie
Sep 25, 2012, 09:10 PM
What I find funny is iDevice people deciding that tiny flaws in an android device make it "trash" but go out of their way to defend an iDevice. They also GROSSLY over exaggerate problems with android. You yuppies forget many of us also have iDevice to compare to so we KNOW WHAT THE HELL we are talking about!

I've always had an android phone and have had my iPad 3 since day one. I'm familiar with iOS as well as android. The garbage you apple people post is appalling.

Almost 100% of the people on this forum came from an iDevice and switched to an android. So yes, this guy is trolling. And trolling hard. Anyone that says the iPhone 4 and the 3GS are similar in speed really is trolling hard. I just came from a 4, and the difference is measured in light years. The things he picked out to criticize are the ones that would get the biggest response from the board. I hope the admins do what right here and ban this dude.

Southernboyj
Sep 25, 2012, 09:35 PM
After comparing mine with the store display models, mine is not at all defective.

1) If you can't see the brightness shift and viewing angle inferiority of the S3, you are blind. As a bat. Sorry, we can't all have great vision.

2) Smoothness... wow you guys really are trolling. Ice Cream sandwhich is like 3GS level. Flipboard is like lag patrol. iPhone 4 is way faster than this thing, forget 4S. The 5 feels like a Quad Core laptop with an SSD in comparison, and is on a completely different level altogether.

3) The Audio has a base level HISS. This has nothing to do with GS3's audio quality, just noise filtering. If you plug headphones into an iPhone you get NO backgground hiss. GS3? Background HISS.

Listen to Classical music like I do? YEs, you can hear it in the quiet movements.

Return your Beats by Dre and get some real headphones. I love the Galaxy S3 for music, it's equalizer is far superior to Apple's. Not saying the iPhone 5 is bad. I love it, just Galaxy S3 music player > iPhone music player.

Not to mention I can adjust the equalizer in the app. Instead of having to go Home -> Settins -> iPod -> EQ.

Dunbar
Sep 25, 2012, 11:15 PM
If you want to see a device with some REAL screen issues I'll show you my iPad 3. It has some serious flashlighting on one side that is very noticeable when scrolling. You want to see something impressive, load up a dark HD video on your S3 and be amazed at the black levels.

Dontazemebro
Sep 25, 2012, 11:34 PM
Thing is he does make some valid points and this is coming from a long time android user since its inception.

1 . There is a hiss. It's ever so subtle but if you play a song that has breaks in between without any instruments, you can hear it.

2. The SG3 screen is garbage under sunlight. You literally have to put it at its brightest setting just so it's visible. compare a one X at 50% brightness under sunlight with a GS3 and you'll see exactly what I mean.

3. The only real choppiness in Android is in the browser and I really wouldn't call it choppiness. It's more like a jerk. Don't scroll, but flick the screen a little ways and you'll notice how it kinda jerks while moving. Thing is, this is just how android works.

Now slamming an entire OS/phone based on minor flaws is trollish but his claims are not altogether baseless.

dkersten
Sep 25, 2012, 11:44 PM
Except Ronaldo is obviously far superior to Messi... ;)

You kid of course

tshrimp
Sep 26, 2012, 12:32 PM

I would return it. It should not be this way, and you may have a defective unit. Good luck.

Dunbar
Sep 26, 2012, 02:34 PM
3. The only real choppiness in Android is in the browser and I really wouldn't call it choppiness. It's more like a jerk. Don't scroll, but flick the screen a little ways and you'll notice how it kinda jerks while moving. Thing is, this is just how android works.

Have never noticed that on the stock browser on S3. Chrome has choppy scrolling on Android and iOS.

cwwilson
Sep 26, 2012, 03:01 PM

Yeah i'm not believing any of that. But good luck with your iPhone.

djarpit
Sep 26, 2012, 03:15 PM

1. Love my display. just increase brightness and youll be good
2. Jelly Bean is your answer here. and it not samsung its the touch wiz that slows it down. Jelly Bean is fast as hell
3. never happened to me
4. you dont have to. there is a builtin auto brightness in jelly bean and even ICS
5. No problem here I use headphones/bluetooth and no issues whatsoever

zbarvian
Sep 26, 2012, 03:40 PM
I think people in here need to just come to terms with the shortcomings of the GS3.

oBMTo
Sep 26, 2012, 03:48 PM
Where's Day 2 of "I don't really have an S3, but let's make a troll thread"?

b24pgg
Sep 26, 2012, 03:50 PM
A great analogy for OPs post is a comparison of a sedan to a Ferrari, and then complaining that the Ferrari is worse because it has less space in the backseat.

jazzkids
Sep 26, 2012, 04:59 PM

Agreed, take it back. I switched over from an iPhone and I love it! I'm happy to not be tied down to Apple's ecosystem. Since I use maps often, I would be seriously bummed with the new map problem in the IP5

BoxerGT2.5
Sep 26, 2012, 05:56 PM
Android is just less stable and less tuned for specific hardware. Then you throw another layer of manufacturer/carrier skin and apps on top, and you're bound to have much buggy, unresponsive software. Android being generic is also why it is less polished than iOS, it needs to run on a wide range of devices and specs.

Personally I think it's one of the most glaring flaws in Android, and one that they really can't remedy without stepping on their "open" principle. Being "open" isn't all that advantageous to being "closed," in my opinion.

How about a closed system with a joke of a maps app and no way for the user to select what he or she would like to use as a default? Right about now open sounds pretty good.

zbarvian
Sep 26, 2012, 06:02 PM
How about a closed system with a joke of a maps app and no way for the user to select what he or she would like to use as a default? Right about now open sounds pretty good.

There's no right answer here, to each his own.

BoxerGT2.5
Sep 26, 2012, 06:08 PM
There's no right answer here, to each his own.

Don't get me wrong, I love the phone (iPhone 5). But I don't trust it. I travel a lot and maps is something I use very often. Having it integrated with my device makes my life easier. When I click on an address from an email or contact, I want to know the info I get is accurate. Copy and pasting addresses to a 3rd party app is not my idea of fun.

zbarvian
Sep 26, 2012, 06:19 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love the phone (iPhone 5). But I don't trust it. I travel a lot and maps is something I use very often. Having it integrated with my device makes my life easier. When I click on an address from an email or contact, I want to know the info I get is accurate. Copy and pasting addresses to a 3rd party app is not my idea of fun.

I get it, Apple Maps are certainly lackluster. For me, they aren't a deal breaker.

Wrathwitch
Sep 26, 2012, 07:56 PM

Let me be blunt as I believe I am PMSing and usually express myself more eloquently than this:

You come into a forum dedicated to devices other than iPhone, tell us that the model you chose (which coincidentally is a model that lots of us in here use and like quite well, is complete garbage, even though I linked about 6 other references from people who were kind enough to reply to you, and you have the colossal nerve to insult our perceptions. I may not have "perfect" vision, but I have enough eyes to see and although it is not an "apple retina" ipS screen, it is beautiful in it's own right and there are millions of others who AGREE with me/us.

If you are such a fan of the iPhone, GO BACK TO IT and stop whining at us for OUR preferences.

I don't listen to classical music on it, but I am using it to learn Russian and I can tell you, clarity is perfect. NO HISSING. Either your headphones are garbage or the phone is, and if that's the case, instead of bitching about it, take it in and state your issues, get a replacement, see if the same problem exists and if it does, go back to iPhone.

Tarzanman
Sep 27, 2012, 08:17 AM
Ignoring your other points (which many would take issue with), this one point let me know that you were completely full of it.

Do yourself a favor and google 'Wolfson DAC'. Samsung has been using better audio components than the iPhone in their Galaxy phones for a few YEARS now.

Either get a better set of headphones or get a clue, because its pretty clear that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Nuff said.

Sincci
Sep 27, 2012, 11:53 AM
Ignoring your other points (which many would take issue with), this one point let me know that you were completely full of it.

Do yourself a favor and google 'Wolfson DAC'. Samsung has been using better audio components than the iPhone in their Galaxy phones for a few YEARS now.

Either get a better set of headphones or get a clue, because its pretty clear that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Nuff said.

The US versions don't have wolfson dac, so that might be the reason why he's device is having these issues.

Tones2
Sep 27, 2012, 12:18 PM

Nuff said.

Yes I agree. I have a $500 pair of Shure 535's and the audio in my S3 is VASTLY SUPERIOR to my iPhone 4S. The OP needs a new set of ears (and probably eyes).

Macist
Sep 27, 2012, 12:31 PM
The last Android version I used day in day out was 2.3 on an HTC Desire and have only played with an SIII.

I do reckon there's a lot of 'grass is greener' hubris when it comes to Android. Reminds me of 'desktop Linux' advocates. I still much prefer how iOS works overall.

mzjin
Sep 27, 2012, 01:58 PM
Love the responses, keep 'em coming. :rolleyes:

Here's more!

- Yes, it hisses. Is this a US Verizon version issue? Who knows, I don't have an International version to compare to.

- The screen is nearly UNUSABLE outside in the sun. The brightness is about 1/2 as bright at 100% as my 4S.

- App responsiveness is horrendous. Tap tap tap, nothing happens. Understandably, Jelly Bean should help with this. Ice Cream Sandwhich is just sooo bad.

Flipboard, for example, doesn't work half of the time when you are trying to click on the bottom two tiles. Flip animation framerates are about 15FPS - feels like I'm using a phone that's several years old.

daveathall
Sep 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
I'm a bit puzzled.

You said this;

You downgraded your screen into a crappy Super AMOLED.

You downgraded your speed and responsiveness.

You downgraded build quality and camera quality.

You downgraded to crappier Android Apps.

You downgraded Samsung level of support.

But otherwise, congrats.

In response to this;

SOOOOO happy i went with the Galaxy S3.
The Iphone 5 is a verry, verry verry verry small upgrade from the 4s.

On the 24th of September.

But you then posted this thread on the 25th of September. I have to ask, why

Your words;

Why would anyone buy a phone after knowing about all it's shortcomings the day before?

amps
Sep 27, 2012, 02:10 PM
I don't have any of those issues. Try running cm 10 and see how you like it.

mzjin
Sep 27, 2012, 02:23 PM
I'm a bit puzzled.

You said this;

In response to this;

Your words;

Why would anyone buy a phone after knowing about all it's shortcomings the day before?

Because I expounded on my experiences one day later?

daveathall
Sep 27, 2012, 02:24 PM
Because I expounded on my experiences one day later?

Course you did.:rolleyes:

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 27, 2012, 02:45 PM
Love the responses, keep 'em coming. :rolleyes:

Here's more!

- Yes, it hisses. Is this a US Verizon version issue? Who knows, I don't have an International version to compare to.

- The screen is nearly UNUSABLE outside in the sun. The brightness is about 1/2 as bright at 100% as my 4S.

- App responsiveness is horrendous. Tap tap tap, nothing happens. Understandably, Jelly Bean should help with this. Ice Cream Sandwhich is just sooo bad.

Flipboard, for example, doesn't work half of the time when you are trying to click on the bottom two tiles. Flip animation framerates are about 15FPS - feels like I'm using a phone that's several years old.

Yea your trolling .... I have none of these problems.

Zman5225
Sep 27, 2012, 03:13 PM
Flipboard works perfectly on my S3. Can you uninstall your app and reinstall?

lavrishevo
Sep 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
If you think the S3 if fast now try rooting and installing a custom rom. I have running CyanogenMod 10 Jelly Bean on AT&T and it is amazing. Zero lag or delay on anything. The only time you wait is for the network to get data to the phone.

Zman5225
Sep 27, 2012, 03:49 PM
If you think the S3 if fast now try rooting and installing a custom rom. I have running CyanogenMod 10 Jelly Bean on AT&T and it is amazing. Zero lag or delay on anything. The only time you wait is for the network to get data to the phone.

I'd like to get into this. Is there a dummy's guide that I can follow or should I google for cyanogenmod?

Mrg02d
Sep 27, 2012, 03:57 PM
I'd like to get into this. Is there a dummy's guide that I can follow or should I google for cyanogenmod?

Start by reading stickies over at xda forum. You could have cm10 running in under an hour with very little effort.

oBMTo
Sep 27, 2012, 04:01 PM
I'm a bit puzzled.

You said this;

In response to this;

Your words;

Because he has never touched an S3 and is trolling.

lavrishevo
Sep 27, 2012, 04:07 PM

I can make it guide. It's much more of pain then jailbreaking. Who is your provider?

Beau10
Sep 27, 2012, 04:12 PM
Wow, this is really heated.

I just returned my iPhone 5 for an unlocked GNex so I can run TMobile's $30/mo unlimited 4G (well, until 5 gigs) prepaid plan... tether undetected, latest updates, price was nice, etc. The plan with Verizon was for 4 gigs shared was $110/mo (so all taxes and fees about $125). Basically my dog came down with cancer in his paw, $4-6k estimated treatment, felt guilty about having such an expensive cell phone plan, etc, so being able to save $1k per year is attractive.

So far I'm fairly impressed. Using Groove IP for VOIP its quality is... okay, but reliable so far. Good enough. I find the OS to be rather powerful but rough around the edges in places - but definitely fast and smooth, it's more like slightly odd inconsistencies. The Android version of some apps don't seem to have the polish of their iPhone counterparts, but I imagine they will gain parity in time.

My main quibble is the web browsing experience... the lack of inertial scrolling/rubberbanding, the tap to zoom, etc, makes things feel off. But then the notifications/widgets system is so powerful, and you have things like Swiftkey - it's pretty nice. The size of the phone is a bit much and would probably find something in the 4.3" range to be the sweet spot.

Zman5225
Sep 27, 2012, 04:15 PM
I can make it guide. It's much more of pain then jailbreaking. Who is your provider?

Att.

----------

Start by reading stickies over at xda forum. You could have cm10 running in under an hour with very little effort.

Xda forums sweet thanks. I hadn't heard of them yet. I'll head over now!

lavrishevo
Sep 27, 2012, 04:19 PM
Att.

----------

Xda forums sweet thanks. I hadn't heard of them yet. I'll head over now!

There are a couple things that I had to work around that were not stated in the guides. This, I believe, is because the guides are a bit old with info related to pre OTA updates.

JoeBlow74
Sep 27, 2012, 05:35 PM

This is why I went with Apple. I got burnt one time by Android, never again. That whole 4G Android thing is a joke. Good luck. I had the HTC EVO 4G on Sprint and my phone never was on 4G. I mean it was there, but I could never use it. God forbid if HTC ever fixed the bugs in their OS. Never again. Never, never, never again will I purchase an Andoid phone.

lavrishevo
Sep 27, 2012, 05:42 PM
This is why I went with Apple. I got burnt one time by Android, never again. That whole 4G Android thing is a joke. Good luck. I had the HTC EVO 4G on Sprint and my phone never was on 4G. I mean it was there, but I could never use it. God forbid if HTC ever fixed the bugs in their OS. Never again. Never, never, never again will I purchase an Andoid phone.

You are on Sprint!? :eek: That's where you went wrong... :D

mzjin
Sep 27, 2012, 05:44 PM

Already returned to Best Buy - $690 back. Interested in seeing what December brings with the new Lumias and Nexuses with Android 5

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 27, 2012, 11:14 PM
This may not be the right place but ill give it a try. I am using the official twitter account for Android and not receiving push notifications of my mentions. I tried doing what the twitter help Page says but no luck. Anyone? I it would be appreciated.

Edit: oh yea battery life...

Stropaganda
Sep 28, 2012, 12:05 AM
My main quibble is the web browsing experience... the lack of inertial scrolling/rubberbanding, the tap to zoom, etc, makes things feel off. But then the notifications/widgets system is so powerful, and you have things like Swiftkey - it's pretty nice. The size of the phone is a bit much and would probably find something in the 4.3" range to be the sweet spot.

What browser are you using? Chrome?

mzjin
Sep 28, 2012, 06:23 AM
This may not be the right place but ill give it a try. I am using the official twitter account for Android and not receiving push notifications of my mentions. I tried doing what the twitter help Page says but no luck. Anyone? I it would be appreciated.

That reminds me another issue I had... No notification center!

There was no way to easily change app notification behavior.

Google voice would notify me of new texts through the stock messaging app, which was completely inane!

Beau10
Sep 28, 2012, 10:10 AM
What browser are you using? Chrome?

Yep.

tympanik
Sep 28, 2012, 01:57 PM
Where's Day 2 of "I don't really have an S3, but let's make a troll thread"?

'said the pot to the kettles...'

chakraj
Sep 28, 2012, 01:59 PM
Hmm, I dont have any issues that the OP listed, well thats not true...

When I watch videos of snakes I can hear hissing, so I do hear that sometimes.

I have three friends here at work with the 5, and when I play with them they seem slow compared to my GS3, the 5 seems lagy when switching between apps and screens.

and the camera took a while to load.

Now to be fair, I have a custom Rom, kernel, radio, loaded so my device is way faster than stock, but isnt that the point of android, you can do whatever you want with it.

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 28, 2012, 03:02 PM
Returned my S3 today after just 12 hours or so lol. My reasons you ask? Build quality, screen quality and brightness, home button and I didn't have any desire to use widgets like always. I don't know why I keep trying Android. Where's the Lumia?

Mrg02d
Sep 28, 2012, 09:42 PM
Returned my S3 today after just 12 hours or so lol. My reasons you ask? Build quality, screen quality and brightness, home button and I didn't have any desire to use widgets like always. I don't know why I keep trying Android. Where's the Lumia?

Nice day for a troll?

Vegastouch
Sep 28, 2012, 10:10 PM

Well it is different. Takes a lot mor than 12 hours to get comfortable but to each their own. You will have to get used to Windows as well though i think it is easier, and thats because it doesnt do as much but i like it. I look forward to trying out the 920, 820, 8X...which ever.

Sensamic
Sep 28, 2012, 11:58 PM
Well it is different. Takes a lot mor than 12 hours to get comfortable but to each their own. You will have to get used to Windows as well though i think it is easier, and thats because it doesnt do as much but i like it. I look forward to trying out the 920, 820, 8X...which ever.

To be fair, the majority of the people just don't want to spend hours or days learning how to use a new phone. In the end, it's just a phone. Why would it need to be more complicated? Why would we need to spend days tweaking it and all?

That happened to me when I bought the iPhone 4 two years ago. I just was tired of phones that needed too much work. I wanted something simple that would work by its own 10 minutes after the first boot up, and not needing to ever mess with things again.

Then I wanted more and that's why I'm with android now, but it's been 3 months since I have my galaxy s 3 and I'm still trying roms, kernels, tweaks, etc. It's fun sometimes, but most people don't want this.

I understand them.

Vegastouch
Sep 29, 2012, 12:22 AM
To be fair, the majority of the people just don't want to spend hours or days learning how to use a new phone. In the end, it's just a phone. Why would it need to be more complicated? Why would we need to spend days tweaking it and all?

You dont need to spend days tweaking it but there is a learning curve. It is very different from iOS and when somebody gets a new phone, i dont think they mind playing with it for a few days for long periods of time. Hec iOS is basically the same and they are doing it with the iP5. Every new phone if it is different from what your used to has a learning curve. Android is just a little more but when you discover things about it, i think it gets people excited about it but it takes some time. To me 12 hours and giving up is just somebody who is frustrated that it isnt like their other phone, ..but thats cool too. To each their own.

And somebody said in another thread that people actually line up in Apple stores to take a class to learn how to use their phone so if that is true, i disagree that people dont want to spend time learning to use their phone. The iPhone is simple to use yet they are taking a class? They want to know how to use it and taking time to do that.

Then I wanted more and that's why I'm with android now, but it's been 3 months since I have my galaxy s 3 and I'm still trying roms, kernels, tweaks, etc. It's fun sometimes, but most people don't want this.

I understand them.

This is what the majority of people dont want to do and this takes more time.

I have flashed ROM's before and it is good to have a better ROM but that was back with Froyo which still wasnt that great compared to now and i got tired of having to reload some things so flashing for me does get old in that regard though it is a good thing.

I dont feel i need to flash a ROM now since JB is coming soon and my battery is fine and so is the speed of the device.

mackinmike
Sep 29, 2012, 04:26 AM
i have both phones.... i feel ip5 is so behind.

ixodes
Sep 29, 2012, 04:34 AM
I agree.

I've been enjoying every aspect of my Galaxy S3, as my Primary Smartphone over my Secondary iPhones 4S & 5.

As much as I love Apple, they've got some serious catching up to do.

matttye
Sep 29, 2012, 05:43 AM
As much as I love Apple, they've got some serious catching up to do.

I used to think that until I got my 5. Now I realise the things that actually matter to me are better implemented on the iPhone. Connects automatically to Bluetooth every time I get in my car (S3 was hit and miss, and leaving Bluetooth on all the time isn't great for battery), Siri is really handy whilst driving, understands what I'm saying perfectly and it can set geolocation reminders, etc. there's simply no contest between Siri and S-voice. Siri can be activated from the headphones (great for running). It just feels like Apple has offered a solution whereas Samsung has just tried to get in the voice control game, but not thought about usability.

I must admit the iPhone had a bit of an unfair advantage because I wanted something that I could keep in sync with my iPad, which it does painlessly.

Everything is just easier on the iPhone and usually works better. Love having access to the iTunes Store too. Google Play Music isn't available in the UK yet with no word as to when it will be.

JonL12345
Sep 29, 2012, 06:16 AM
When people say, "At the end of the day, its just a phone" (as stated earlier in the thread), well, that is the biggest load of nonsense I have ever heard. These are hugely powerful Smartphones, that do just about everything a desktop PC can do. Making phone calls is just a tiny proportion of their capabilities. They are computers in your pocket.

Android releases that power to the user. Apple's iOS doesn't. They tie your hands, restrict what you can do, withhold your freedom. It is sad that they have not caught onto the game. If they don't become more like Android anytime soon, they will fall by the wayside.

LostSoul80
Sep 29, 2012, 06:23 AM
When people say, "At the end of the day, its just a phone" (as stated earlier in the thread), well, that is the biggest load of nonsense I have ever heard. These are hugely powerful Smartphones, that do just about everything a desktop PC can do. Making phone calls is just a tiny proportion of their capabilities. They are computers in your pocket.

Agreed. "Just a phone" may apply to dumb phones.

matttye
Sep 29, 2012, 06:41 AM

Android releases that power to the user. Apple's iOS doesn't. They tie your hands, restrict what you can do, withhold your freedom. It is sad that they have not caught onto the game. If they don't become more like Android anytime soon, they will fall by the wayside.

iOS is definitely not as powerful as Android in terms of raw features, but I find the experience more seamless. I find I spend less time fannying about with the home screens now and instead actually using apps, listening to music etc.

I've only had the iPhone for a week and there's not really anything I desperately miss from Android.. that might change as time goes by.

At the minute I'm enjoying not having to mess with settings all the time to conserve battery life or scan NFC tags, just leave them on all the time, getting into my car and instantly having my phone connected to Bluetooth without even taking it out of my pocket or having to press anything (some Android phones may do this, I'm talking about the S3 as this is an S3 thread and it's hit and miss on the S3, sometimes works and sometimes doesn't), knowing that all of my pics and videos are beamed instantly to my iPad and PC.

Love both OSes for different reasons. Going to spend a bit of time with iOS but I'll probably be back with Android later.

JonL12345
Sep 29, 2012, 07:07 AM
If you do go back to Android, I believe the app "Tasker" can auto connect to bluetooth, amongst a million other things it can do.

As to the fannying around with the home screen, you don't have to. That is personal choice. You can even skin your Android like an iPhone if you like. :)

Please note, I haven't actually got an Android yet, but will be very soon. I am still on an iPhone 3GS. I got fed up with the iPhone OS in the end and it was only when I realised what the Android could do that I wanted to switch. I felt like I had been blinkered by the general impression that iPhone is the bees knees. Its all marketing hype.

I do like the iPhone phone, it feels nice in the hand, has a good image. But its very basic at the end of the day. I'm going to get an S3 shortly, despite the fact it feels a bit cheap. The functionality wins me over big-time.

Evoken
Sep 29, 2012, 07:08 AM

Took the words out of my mouth. I spend the vast majority of the time that i use my smartphone doing other things than making/receiving calls.

zbarvian
Sep 29, 2012, 08:32 AM
Honestly Android doesn't have enough "features" to win me over. Widgets? I never use widgets on the desktop, I can't imagine them being great on the phone. Mods and customization are nice but I feel no skin or rom can match iOS's speed and elegance. Removable SD? Gimme a break...

Notifications are the only thing I envy from Android, but I wouldn't trade the polish and ecosystem of iOS for them.

matttye
Sep 29, 2012, 08:52 AM
If you do go back to Android, I believe the app "Tasker" can auto connect to bluetooth, amongst a million other things it can do.

As to the fannying around with the home screen, you don't have to. That is personal choice. You can even skin your Android like an iPhone if you like. :)

Please note, I haven't actually got an Android yet, but will be very soon. I am still on an iPhone 3GS. I got fed up with the iPhone OS in the end and it was only when I realised what the Android could do that I wanted to switch. I felt like I had been blinkered by the general impression that iPhone is the bees knees. Its all marketing hype.

I do like the iPhone phone, it feels nice in the hand, has a good image. But its very basic at the end of the day. I'm going to get an S3 shortly, despite the fact it feels a bit cheap. The functionality wins me over big-time.

I used Tasker to automate a lot of things, but unfortunately both Tasker and NFC Task Launcher cannot connect to a specific Bluetooth device - I think this is an Android limitation, as they are both able to connect to specific WiFi networks. The best I could do was add a widget to my home screen to enable Bluetooth and open the device list, but that still meant getting it out of my pocket, unlocking the device, tapping the widget then connecting to Bluetooth.

Also, when I initially got my S3 S-Voice worked when the phone was locked, but after a software update it stopped working and I would have to unlock the screen before I could use S-Voice. Not going to do that while I'm driving. That meant I had to create a Tasker profile to disable screen lock when I connected to my car's Bluetooth. Great, until someone decides to lean through my window, steal my phone and there's no lock on it! (unlikely I know :p)

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 29, 2012, 08:54 AM

Understand. There was nothing to get used to really. It was mostly hardware that I didn't like and that wasn't going to change. I look forward to the beautiful hardware on those windows phones too.

mzjin
Sep 29, 2012, 10:15 AM
Honestly Android doesn't have enough "features" to win me over. Widgets? I never use widgets on the desktop, I can't imagine them being great on the phone. Mods and customization are nice but I feel no skin or rom can match iOS's speed and elegance. Removable SD? Gimme a break...

Notifications are the only thing I envy from Android, but I wouldn't trade the polish and ecosystem of iOS for them.

Have you actually used the android notification? It actually sucks. There is way to control notification behavior like iOS notification center.

The GS3 has NFC, but no google wallet support. That feature was then effectively "useless".

I found the widgets to give me no more useful information or functionality than actively updating iOS app shortcuts.

Every other aspect of the experience is noticeably worse, from the browsing, lag, keyboard, screen, responsiveness, is just way worse.

paulsalter
Sep 29, 2012, 10:26 AM
Have you actually used the android notification? It actually sucks. There is way to control notification behavior like iOS notification center.

Can you give some examples, I have an iOS6 device and an Android, not looked into customising notifications, i just left mine as default

What can I not do in Android?

oBMTo
Sep 29, 2012, 11:04 AM
Already returned to Best Buy - $690 back. Interested in seeing what December brings with the new Lumias and Nexuses with Android 5

How hard was it to return a phone you never bought?

einmusiker
Sep 29, 2012, 11:09 AM

exactly. I owned an s3 and it was so much better than iphone. ONLY issue I had was radio reception wasnt quite up to par for 4G yet. iPhone fanbois just cant take it

mzjin
Sep 29, 2012, 11:44 AM
How hard was it to return a phone you never bought?

Hah! Fanboys :rolleyes:

mzjin
Sep 29, 2012, 11:47 AM
Can you give some examples, I have an iOS6 device and an Android, not looked into customising notifications, i just left mine as default

What can I not do in Android?

Of course:

Google Voice. That app has no notification options, nor does the OS have a dedicated section for notifications. When I get a Google Voice message, it comes through as a default MESSAGING app message. When I select it, it opens up Messaging, NOT Google Voice. Just absolutely inane. I use Google Voice text messages so I *don't* have to pay for texts and it consolidates.

Google Plus. I turned on automatic uploads of photos. It notifies me EVERY single time it completes the upload. There is no option to turn this notification OFF anywhere.

Android's lack of unified notification center reflects its general haphazard control of app and OS behavior.

paulsalter
Sep 29, 2012, 11:59 AM
Of course:

Google Voice. That app has no notification options, nor does the OS have a dedicated section for notifications. When I get a Google Voice message, it comes through as a default MESSAGING app message. When I select it, it opens up Messaging, NOT Google Voice. Just absolutely inane. I use Google Voice text messages so I *don't* have to pay for texts and it consolidates.

Google Plus. I turned on automatic uploads of photos. It notifies me EVERY single time it completes the upload. There is no option to turn this notification OFF anywhere.

Android's lack of unified notification center reflects its general haphazard control of app and OS behavior.

Thanks, gives me something to check out

I dont have Google Voice, not available to me, but will check the photos option

1) Open the Google+ App on your phone.
2) Tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner to get the drop down menu
3) Tap on Settings
4) Tap on Notifications
5) Scroll down to Photos and un-check the box for "Photos added from Instant Upload"

mzjin
Sep 29, 2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks, gives me something to check out

I dont have Google Voice, not available to me, but will check the photos option

1) Open the Google+ App on your phone.
2) Tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner to get the drop down menu
3) Tap on Settings
4) Tap on Notifications
5) Scroll down to Photos and un-check the box for "Photos added from Instant Upload"

Yep, so + does have that option to disable, which is good.

But my point is, many apps have no notification setting, and the OS itself has no dedicated notification controls. It's sad that Android started the whole notifications, but has fallen so far behind.

paulsalter
Sep 29, 2012, 12:05 PM
Y
But my point is, many apps have no notification setting, and the OS itself has no dedicated notification controls. It's sad that Android started the whole notifications, but has fallen so far behind.

personally I am glad of this, one of the reasons I like Android

app settings are within the app

I turned most of my iOS notifications off because I dont like how they work

Mrg02d
Sep 29, 2012, 01:00 PM

Yawn....same old griping about spilled milk.

Systemwars
Sep 29, 2012, 01:00 PM
I don't know why people are saying your experience with both displays is inaccurate. It matches exactly what a world renowned calibrating company had to say about both displays.

“Based on our extensive Lab measurements the iPhone 5 has a true state-of-the-art accurate display – it’s not perfect and there is plenty of room for improvements (and competitors) but it is the best Smartphone display we have seen to date,” it said. The tests include detailed laboratory measurements and extensive viewing tests with both test patterns and test images.

According to DisplayMate, the iPhone 5′s display has “lower screen reflections, much higher image contrast and screen readability in high ambient lighting (the highest DisplayMate has ever measured), and a significantly improved and accurate Color Gamut and Factory Calibration that delivers very accurate colors and very good picture quality.”

Meanwhile, DisplayMate has the following on Galaxy S III’s OLED display: (i) brightness is about half of the iPhone 5, (ii) color gamut is quite lopsided, leading to distorted and exaggerated colors, and (iii) has a much poorer contrast rating and screen visibility in bright ambient light.

Even the color shifts on AMOLED is correct

http://i.imgur.com/HoKVq.png

Vegastouch
Sep 29, 2012, 01:12 PM
iOS is definitely not as powerful as Android in terms of raw features, but I find the experience more seamless. I find I spend less time fannying about with the home screens now and instead actually using apps, listening to music etc.

I've only had the iPhone for a week and there's not really anything I desperately miss from Android.. that might change as time goes by.

At the minute I'm enjoying not having to mess with settings all the time to conserve battery life or scan NFC tags, just leave them on all the time, getting into my car and instantly having my phone connected to Bluetooth without even taking it out of my pocket or having to press anything (some Android phones may do this, I'm talking about the S3 as this is an S3 thread and it's hit and miss on the S3, sometimes works and sometimes doesn't), knowing that all of my pics and videos are beamed instantly to my iPad and PC.

Love both OSes for different reasons. Going to spend a bit of time with iOS but I'll probably be back with Android later.

LOL, like scanning an NFC tag is hard. You act like you are spending 5 minutes doing that each time and we know you arent. Scanning an NFC tag takes 2 seconds.
I dont find leaving my Bluetooth on saps battery from me and if it does, it isnt anything to speak of. However, i use NFC tags to turn it on and off so i dont need to leave it on but i do forget to scan it sometimes. The GS3 has bluetooth 4.0 which is low energy efficient.

I have a live wallpaper on all day now the last two weeks as well and my battery still lasts well into the night from the time i turn it on at around 6AM.

Vegastouch
Sep 29, 2012, 01:31 PM

Actually, ...most do, if not all. This is what happens when you dont spend enough time learning your phone. I cant speak for Google Voice, ive never used it but there are many apps you can get that lets you also text and such without paynig for it via your carrier.

imo is a instant messenger and is free, There is Skype (of course others have to have this), Text Plus is free, HeyWire is free, ...you just have to do a quick search in the play store.

matttye
Sep 29, 2012, 02:03 PM
LOL, like scanning an NFC tag is hard. You act like you are spending 5 minutes doing that each time and we know you arent. Scanning an NFC tag takes 2 seconds.
I dont find leaving my Bluetooth on saps battery from me and if it does, it isnt anything to speak of. However, i use NFC tags to turn it on and off so i dont need to leave it on but i do forget to scan it sometimes. The GS3 has bluetooth 4.0 which is low energy efficient.

I have a live wallpaper on all day now the last two weeks as well and my battery still lasts well into the night from the time i turn it on at around 6AM.

It's not only scanning an NFC tag, it's taking the phone out of my pocket, unlocking it and then scanning it. It's having to remember to do that so as to conserve battery life. You're right that Bluetooth doesn't use up too much battery, but wifi does.

I just leave them on all the time on my iPhone and get excellent battery life and it auto connects to wifi at work, at home, Bluetooth in my car. The only time I have to faff about with the settings now is when I want to play music on my Bluetooth speaker at home as it doesn't seem to auto connect to that.

With Android I placed NFC tags around home and work where I'm most likely going to need to adjust settings. With iPhone I just leave them on constantly and still get better battery life.

I know which I prefer :p

mzjin
Sep 29, 2012, 02:12 PM
Actually, ...most do, if not all. This is what happens when you dont spend enough time learning your phone. I cant speak for Google Voice, ive never used it but there are many apps you can get that lets you also text and such without paynig for it via your carrier.

imo is a instant messenger and is free, There is Skype (of course others have to have this), Text Plus is free, HeyWire is free, ...you just have to do a quick search in the play store.

The only one worth using is Google Voice.

einmusiker
Sep 29, 2012, 02:25 PM

agreed. GV is the best service for texting and voicemail

Dave.UK
Sep 29, 2012, 02:36 PM
Google Voice VS Siri - Guess who won?!

(From 3.30 secs)

Vegastouch
Sep 29, 2012, 03:43 PM

You will never know til you try the others which im sure you didnt do. The others got 4 and 4.5 stars.

Melab
Sep 29, 2012, 03:45 PM

Are you a power user?

Vegastouch
Sep 29, 2012, 03:58 PM

aznguyen316
Sep 29, 2012, 04:08 PM
I prefer notifications on Android. At least since jelly bean. It gives you more room for information. You can read emails from the bar, control music, quick reply texts without a pop up Window, have the toggles for wifi, airplane mode, flashlight, data etc etc without needing to jailbreak. If u want to talk about root and jailbreak options then you CAN get Google wallet on the s3 which I've done and used the free $10 Google gave me.

cynics
Sep 29, 2012, 04:13 PM
personally I am glad of this, one of the reasons I like Android

app settings are within the app

I turned most of my iOS notifications off because I dont like how they work

I agree with this 100%. I find the "settings" in iOS to be a cluster****, they are redundant too. Like privacy is actually in there twice kind of. In privacy and restrictions > privacy, that's not clever or clean.

Half of my apps settings are in the OS settings while the other half are in the app themselves.

I like in android settings for the apps are in the apps and settings for the OS are in the OS settings. That just makes more sense to me.

This is a pic I used showing data usage one but you can see you have network, device, and personal.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/30/utunu5eg.jpg

Dunbar
Sep 29, 2012, 05:28 PM
When I get a Google Voice message, it comes through as a default MESSAGING app message. When I select it, it opens up Messaging, NOT Google Voice. Just absolutely inane.

Have you tried in Google Voice opening settings-->sync and notifications-->Receive text message: Via the Google Voice app?

Gatecrasher1875
Oct 3, 2012, 05:46 AM
I was going to start another thread but there are so many already and I just wanted to share some basic thoughts and experiences as someone who moved from the iPhone after 4 years to the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Reason I moved from iOS to Android
I was pretty underwhelmed with the iOS6 update and felt it was time to try something new. I deceided to wait until I saw the iPhone 5 unveiled before i decided to move on as I didn't feel there was enough of an upgrade for me to part with £600 from the iPhone 4.

The Phone
The S3 seems well built, it seems solid and the materials don't feel as cheap as some make out. It's not got the same build quality of an iPhone but at the same time if something goes wrong like the back cover snaps for example you can just buy another one and replace the part thats broken.

The Screen

Probably my favourite thing about this phone, the screen is amazing. I have my screen quite bright so the colours just come out right at you. Watching videos and looking at Hi Res pictures is amazing.

Audio

It's louder and clearer than my iPhone 4 thats for sure I haven't heard any hiss or crackling at all from the speakers. Talking and listening on a phone call is also very clear.

OS

I'm currently on ICS 4.04 and waiting for the Jelly Bean update to come through. I haven't yet expericed lag or crashes from the OS I will see if this changes as the phone gets used more. I like the customization of the OS, I'm not taking about neon coloured keyboards either. It's small things that make the phone easier to use and I often ask myself why this wasn't implamented on iOS (such as changing the default browser). The notifications are also on a different level with the logo of the notification being on the bar at the top of the screen and an LED flashing so you don't even need to lift your phone to see if you have one.

The App store

If you are addicted to apps like me and worried if the Android App store will have the same apps as the one on iOS don't be, I have yet to come accross an app that I couldn't get on my iPhone and if you did there will probably be an adequate replacement. Browsing the store its self takes a bit getting used to though.

Battery Life
At first the Battery life was poor but that was because i couldn't put the phone down, now that my usage has gone down to a more normal level for me I need 1 charge per day the same as my iPhone 4 although when charging time comes its about 10% lower than what the iPhone was.

Faults

I haven't come accross anything major though one bug was a bit frustrating. I was playing about with S Voice and asked it to do an internet search, once the search was completed I closed the tab and browser and the next few times I opened the Browser it had the search i completed with S voice as the page i opened my browser with.

Do i miss iOS?
I'm not completetly done with iOS, I'm keeping my iPhone 4 as an iPod touch type device and still enjoy using it. There isn't anything on my iPhone that i can't do on my S3 though.

I hope you enjoyed reading my thoughts if you have any questions feel free to ask.