PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used both iPhone 5 and GS3?

MacBH928
Sep 25, 2012, 11:35 AM
I was wondering if any one can tell me about his feelings about the screen size in real life use.

I am scared to buy a gs3 because I am stepping into unknown area. Not sure what it is and how reliable is it. Lets not forget Apple eco-system.

But yesterday a friend let me use his iphone4 to watch a youtube video and the screen looked minute . It was sooo small and cramped. I have seen many other friends use S3 and maybe this is the reason.

While iphone5 offers taller screen it does not offer a wider one. S3 screen size just seems like something you can worth with and pleasure to use it for browsing.

How do you feel about the iphone5 screen next to the S3? is it comparable? or does it seem still too small?

Mrg02d
Sep 25, 2012, 12:40 PM
I saw an ip5 the other day...Tiny screen. 0.5in more doesn't do enough. If you are basing your choice on screen/visuals alone then go GS3 as its all about visuals and eye candy. If you want simplicity and don't mind a small world, go for iPhone. If I were going back to iPhone, I'd go back to 4s since its now cheaper yet works nearly as well. Things seem to work without a hitch on iPhones...They just don't do enough for me.

matttye
Sep 25, 2012, 02:34 PM
Still have an S3 but giving it to the mrs. Got an iPhone 5 on Sat.

I love Android and you can do a lot more with it, but ultimately I got a little sick of tinkering with it all the time and wanted something that "just works" (cliché I know :rolleyes:)

With the iPhone I find that: -

1. I can leave WiFi and Bluetooth on all the time without a big hit to battery life, so I can just get in my car, leave my phone in my pocket and have it automatically connect to Bluetooth. Likewise when I get home, it just connects to WiFi automatically.

2. It syncs perfectly with my iPad so I get iMessages, shared photo streams etc on both.

3. Siri understands me really well (much better than S Voice) and responds quickly. It also enables me to do truly useful things whilst driving such as set a geolocation reminder for when I get to my destination. I tried it out today by saying "Remind me to put in my eye drops when I get home" (I have an eye infection) and, sure enough, when I pulled up outside my house it popped up the reminder.

4. Access to iTunes from the device is great.

5. I have 64GB of space so I've put my entire music collection on it, and all my photos, and still have 30+GB left.

I think that ultimately, anyone who's sick of the simplicity of the iPhone will enjoy Android, and anyone that's sick of forever customising Android will enjoy the simplicity of the iPhone.

They're both great, just... different.

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2012, 08:47 PM
These are just my impressions.

I handled my friend's iPhone 5 today. Not very impressed. The lightweight-ness did throw me off, and the device does feel a little cheapened, but I oddly can't put my finger on exactly why. It feels as if it's been hollowed out; almost as if I pressed it, it would give in and be crushed, or at least flex. It's also lost some of its former grace, especially with the back. The back looks more utilitarian and rugged, which can be a good thing actually. It's just a stark contrast from the 4S' full glass black. I was never a big fan of it, but there was no denying the glass made the device seem more graceful and elegant.

To me, the iPh5 is just awkward as heck. It really feels significantly taller, even though I know it's not. The lack of expansion width wise feels bizarre, like it's more a chocolate bar than a smartphone. I'm sure if I ever owned it and spent days with it, I'd adjust, no doubt. I do love how thin the device has become.

I also disliked that the power/sleep button is now even further away to reach at the top. I loathe the power/sleep button on the HTC One X. It made it horribly clunky to put to sleep (and wake in the HTC's case). It's a very close clunkiness with the 5. You had to adjust your hand so that your index finger could reach it. For those who argue the importance of the ease of use with one hand, that power button sure complicates things.

There's no describing how comfortable and perfect the location of the power/sleep button is on the GN. If 'm holding it with my right hand, my thumb is always nearby. If left hand, my index is always wrapped nearby. The power button on top needs to go the way of the dinosaurs. It's making less and less sense. The front home button definitely felt helluvalot more sturdy and durable though. And the screen is pretty vibrant and gorgeous to look at. No arguing that. In my opinion though, it's still not big enough. Reading texts and websites were really no different than the 4S. Certainly better, but not enough.

And iOS is simply what it is. iOS.

For a moment, I was admittedly caught up in the hype machine. But now that I've handled the device, I feel safe to double down on my decision to wait for what's on the horizon.

Just my impressions.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 26, 2012, 01:08 AM
Still have an S3 but giving it to the mrs. Got an iPhone 5 on Sat.

I love Android and you can do a lot more with it, but ultimately I got a little sick of tinkering with it all the time and wanted something that "just works" (cliché I know :rolleyes:)

With the iPhone I find that: -

1. I can leave WiFi and Bluetooth on all the time without a big hit to battery life, so I can just get in my car, leave my phone in my pocket and have it automatically connect to Bluetooth. Likewise when I get home, it just connects to WiFi automatically.

2. It syncs perfectly with my iPad so I get iMessages, shared photo streams etc on both.

3. Siri understands me really well (much better than S Voice) and responds quickly. It also enables me to do truly useful things whilst driving such as set a geolocation reminder for when I get to my destination. I tried it out today by saying "Remind me to put in my eye drops when I get home" (I have an eye infection) and, sure enough, when I pulled up outside my house it popped up the reminder.

4. Access to iTunes from the device is great.

5. I have 64GB of space so I've put my entire music collection on it, and all my photos, and still have 30+GB left.

I think that ultimately, anyone who's sick of the simplicity of the iPhone will enjoy Android, and anyone that's sick of forever customising Android will enjoy the simplicity of the iPhone.

They're both great, just... different.

Well that's the problem with some people, they will customize and tinker non-stop just cause they can. I used to be the same back in the Windows Mobile days. You even have those who unjailbreak to go back to stock iOS. I have my GS3 setup exactly the way I like it. No reason to to keep tinkering, at least not at such a frequent basis. Everything just works for me with the GS3 too.

I think it's safe to say the iPhone just works out the box vs any android phone. This is what more of the focus of Android should be on, and Apple needs to focus on giving iOS users more freedom cause their ecosystem can only take them so far.

Dolorian
Sep 26, 2012, 01:31 AM
I am scared to buy a gs3 because I am stepping into unknown area. Not sure what it is and how reliable is it. Lets not forget Apple eco-system.

I can understand being afraid of the unknown :) My current S3 is my first Android device ever. Before it I had an iPhone 3GS and then an iPhone 4. The syncing with iTunes is definitely more straight forward than what's available in Android, but there are plenty of great alternatives, many free and some paid, for you to sync your Android device and copy stuff to and from it.

doubleTwist, for example is an excellent app that also has a Mac client. It syncs your iTunes library (videos, music) over wifi and it is quite painless to use. It is also a fantastic player for music, podcasts and videos.

Another free app I use is called Airdroid, which allows you to manage your phone via the browser, where you can do plenty of stuff with it in addition to copying and downloading files. You can use it from any computer with a browser, no need to install anything in them.

Other apps like iSyncr are popular, but I have not used them.

For stuff like Contacts, Email, Calendars and RSS feeds, I've always been using Google so the transition was totally painless, just a matter of adding my Google account in the S3 and it downloaded and synced everything.

You will find that it is really not a painful experience when it comes to syncing and getting stuff to and from your Android phone. I've found the many options available quite flexible actually.

How do you feel about the iphone5 screen next to the S3? is it comparable? or does it seem still too small?

I personally find it too small still and am disappointed that they only made it taller and not wider. As far as the S3 goes, I love it's gorgeous 4.8" screen and at this point, after almost two weeks with it, I honestly can't see myself going back to a smaller 4" screen like the iPhone 5 has.

MacBH928
Sep 26, 2012, 08:38 AM
the decision making is getting tougher and tougher..

Will I be able to install jelly bean on s3? and even so, what does jelly bean really mean?

is it a jump like from iOS5 to iOS6 or is it just under the hood enhancement for better performance?

i also wonder if any one who has an iPad+S3 setup and how is it going for him?

Stropaganda
Sep 26, 2012, 08:45 AM

Will I be able to install jelly bean on s3? and even so, what does jelly bean really mean?

is it a jump like from iOS5 to iOS6 or is it just under the hood enhancement for better performance?

ICS -> Jellybean is really great. Google Now aka Siri++, expandable notifications, and better performance. If you want to hear what jellybean is all about look up "Google I/O 2012" in YouTube and watch the conference.

matttye
Sep 26, 2012, 11:50 AM
Google Now aka Siri++

Debatable. Google Now is better at searching and provides very quick responses. It's also arguable that it's more accurate at recognising what is being said. However, Siri is more intelligent in that you can ask it to do things in more ways. It also supports geolocation reminders. Finally, and perhaps the most useful of all, is that Siri is what opens when you use the command button on a bluetooth headset... on the S3 you get crappy S voice :p

lavrishevo
Sep 26, 2012, 12:37 PM
Debatable. Google Now is better at searching and provides very quick responses. It's also arguable that it's more accurate at recognising what is being said. However, Siri is more intelligent in that you can ask it to do things in more ways. It also supports geolocation reminders. Finally, and perhaps the most useful of all, is that Siri is what opens when you use the command button on a bluetooth headset... on the S3 you get crappy S voice :p

S Voice is pretty lame. I just disabled it. To be honest, I barely ever used Siri on my 4s before I gave it to my father. I am looking forward to JB. There are plenty of people running it on their rooted phones and it should be launched officially in October. Looking forward to checking it out but I really don't need an assistant to use my phone... lol

http://www.google.com/landing/now/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQt17jt9QaU

matttye
Sep 26, 2012, 01:25 PM
S Voice is pretty lame. I just disabled it. To be honest, I barely ever used Siri on my 4s before I gave it to my father. I am looking forward to JB. There are plenty of people running it on their rooted phones and it should be launched officially in October. Looking forward to checking it out but I really don't need an assistant to use my phone... lol

http://www.google.com/landing/now/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQt17jt9QaU

You dont need to be rooted to use JB, just install one of the leaks using Odin.

Unfortunately you still get S voice when using a Bluetooth headset rather than Google Now!

I need an assistant while driving :p

ITS ME DAVID
Sep 26, 2012, 01:57 PM
I used the s3 for 3 weeks before returning and getting the 5. I feel as the s3 is just to huge and the contrast and colors aren't as good as the 5 that I can tell.

Also the buggy operating system got on my nerves I got reset a few times in the first couple of days I'm not using jelly bean but I doubt it will make a big diff maybe a little faster and smoother but I doubt it will be crash free.

Also I do like the extra customization on the s3 but I can Jb the 5 when it's available and be able to do the same so that's not a big deal as also one important thing is the camera I always take piks and upload to fb it instagram and the cams on the iPhones are just top notch and the audio when shooting in video is also much better and what really got me on the 5 was how light and thin it is and the battery life way better then on the s3.

Overall for me I like the 5 but I'm not gonna lie the s3 because of the big screen looks nice but the new a6 in the 5 makes the phone fast

Mrg02d
Sep 26, 2012, 02:08 PM
I used the s3 for 3 weeks before returning and getting the 5. I feel as the s3 is just to huge and the contrast and colors aren't as good as the 5 that I can tell.

Also the buggy operating system got on my nerves I got reset a few times in the first couple of days I'm not using jelly bean but I doubt it will make a big diff maybe a little faster and smoother but I doubt it will be crash free.

Also I do like the extra customization on the s3 but I can Jb the 5 when it's available and be able to do the same so that's not a big deal as also one important thing is the camera I always take piks and upload to fb it instagram and the cams on the iPhones are just top notch and the audio when shooting in video is also much better and what really got me on the 5 was how light and thin it is and the battery life way better then on the s3.

Overall for me I like the 5 but I'm not gonna lie the s3 because of the big screen looks nice but the new a6 in the 5 makes the phone fast

Do tell how Jailbreaking the IP5 will even come close to the GS3? Last I checked, JBing barely added more than changing the color of your icons.

Im sorry, but JBing is a joke. You have no idea what rooting and installing ROMs can accomplish. I do, because I have jailbroken many iDevices. I have also rooted many android phones.

Bogart24
Sep 26, 2012, 08:24 PM
The GS3's screen is large, but deeply flawed. It does not get bright enough and the colors are inaccurate . To me it looked like everything was being shown through a yellow filter though I've seen the problem described as too much green. The iPhone 5 has a beautiful, accurate image.

I was also worried about the size after watching a video on the 4, but the 5 looks much larger because the image can fill the entire screen where the 4 had to use bars on top and bottom to preserve the 16:9 ratio. The 5 is obviously not going to look as big as the GS3, but I think it is big enough and the difference in quality gives the point to Apple.

MacBH928
Sep 26, 2012, 08:31 PM
i tried to use the s3 from a friend today.

I am not sure how people are not complaining about this but the screen completely sucks. The hue is too blue , its very pixelated, and the pixels look like they are in teiangular shape. I dont understand the colors of the screen .

some how it seems like a 3D picture with out the glasses, a mix of blue and red.
I am not sure if this is how electronics displays always have been and I am pampered by using the retina display on my ipad?

Is there another really popular and supported Android device with great screen other than the gallaxy S3? because I just dont think I can use this or even consider ir. its not the software, it is the hardware

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 26, 2012, 08:38 PM

I am not sure how people are not complaining about this but the screen completely sucks. The hue is too blue , its very pixelated, and the pixels look like they are in teiangular shape. I dont understand the colors of the screen .

some how it seems like a 3D picture with out the glasses, a mix of blue and red.
I am not sure if this is how electronics displays always have been and I am pampered by using the retina display on my ipad?

Is there another really popular and supported Android device with great screen other than the gallaxy S3? because I just dont think I can use this or even consider ir. its not the software, it is the hardware

HTC one x is regarded as having a screen as good as iPhone or better. Also the new Nokia is supossed to have a great screen.

ITS ME DAVID
Sep 26, 2012, 10:08 PM
Do tell how Jailbreaking the IP5 will even come close to the GS3? Last I checked, JBing barely added more than changing the color of your icons.

Im sorry, but JBing is a joke. You have no idea what rooting and installing ROMs can accomplish. I do, because I have jailbroken many iDevices. I have also rooted many android phones.

I have rooted my tablet so I know what can be done and you have no idea the extent of Jb on a idevice if you think all it can do is change a color on an icon.

Technarchy
Sep 26, 2012, 10:29 PM

There is still a contingent that thinks the GS3 screen is good. It's not. It's far from good. Unless there is some massive breakthrough in AMOLED tech, it's an instant no go, which is why I am glad the HTC 8X and Nokia 920 are going with LCD panels.

The HTC One X has an amazing screen, but the software is complete dog ****, as is the software on the Atrix HD, which also has a very nice screen.

MacBH928
Sep 27, 2012, 11:45 AM
There is still a contingent that thinks the GS3 screen is good. It's not. It's far from good. Unless there is some massive breakthrough in AMOLED tech, it's an instant no go, which is why I am glad the HTC 8X and Nokia 920 are going with LCD panels.

The HTC One X has an amazing screen, but the software is complete dog ****, as is the software on the Atrix HD, which also has a very nice screen.

The S3 screen is horrible...I am really amazed people are ok with it.

I dont understand how it the software horrible on HTC but is ok on S3?

to me , its like telling me that Windows 7 is horrible on Dell but very good on HP.

I thought they all run Android?

daveathall
Sep 27, 2012, 12:11 PM

I dont understand how it the software horrible on HTC but is ok on S3?

to me , its like telling me that Windows 7 is horrible on Dell but very good on HP.

I thought they all run Android?

I have both phones and your experience with the S3 does not echo mine. If those are your impressions I would stay with the iPhone.

617aircav
Sep 27, 2012, 12:17 PM

Bill ****. I have yo One x and the software os just Fine. Its Android with.htc sense. T

Dunbar
Sep 27, 2012, 01:48 PM

The S3 screen is far from horrible. If saturated colors are so bad than why did Apple make the screen colors 44% more saturated on the iPhone 5? Blacks are stunning on OLED displays. At my normal 18" viewing distance I cannot see any pixelation or graininess on the pentile display @ 720p resolution (the same thing pretty much every review of the phone says.) The blue screen tint is only noticeable when you hold it up next to a phone with an LCD, not in normal use. My iPhone 4 display looks washed out and boring in comparison to my S3 but I wouldn't call either one "horrible."

Tones2
Sep 27, 2012, 04:18 PM
The S3 screen is far from horrible. If saturated colors are so bad than why did Apple make the screen colors 44% more saturated on the iPhone 5? Blacks are stunning on OLED displays. At my normal 18" viewing distance I cannot see any pixelation or graininess on the pentile display @ 720p resolution (the same thing pretty much every review of the phone says.) The blue screen tint is only noticeable when you hold it up next to a phone with an LCD, not in normal use. My iPhone 4 display looks washed out and boring in comparison to my S3 but I wouldn't call either one "horrible."

I feel this EXACT same way. :)

MacBH928
Oct 1, 2012, 08:57 PM
I am sorry for calling S3 screen horrible.

I called it so because I used to see the phone from an angle along with friends when they show me something. I had a closer look recently and it appears that the screens has beautiful colors looking directly at it.

Yet this does not mean its "correct" There is definitely yellow/blue shift with whites. Yes yellow/blue. I am not sure how this happens, but I used a friends phone to test it out and the screen for odd reason if an app crashes or switching from apps would have a slight blue-ish screen then returns yellowish.

I am not sure if you can calibrate this or not.

None the less, the iphone 4 screen still looks SUPERB next to it. Whites and Pixels wise. Not sure about color "vibrance" . iPhone/ipad screens always look beautiful in colors to me.

by the way, this AMOLED screen is it the OLED screen they have been talking about, perfect colors , very small energy use, longest life ever lights??

BoxerGT2.5
Oct 1, 2012, 09:09 PM
The same people who claim they can see the difference between 326 and 306ppi are the same type who swear they can feel the 7hp claimed increase from an intake on their car.

Mrg02d
Oct 1, 2012, 09:44 PM
Taking my IP5 back. Can't stand the low quality screen and the awful battery life. Also, the lag in it is awful. I'm going to go buy a gs3, like I should have.

Dolorian
Oct 1, 2012, 09:46 PM
I'm going to go buy a gs3, like I should have.

The S3 is great, you'll love it.

BoxerGT2.5
Oct 1, 2012, 10:18 PM
I thought he was trolling. lol iOS 6 has its share of issues and I love the SG3, but the iPhone 5 has probably the best screen/accurate and rich colors as any I've seen.

dmelgar
Oct 1, 2012, 10:20 PM
Taking my IP5 back. Can't stand the low quality screen and the awful battery life. Also, the lag in it is awful. I'm going to go buy a gs3, like I should have.

Not credible. ip5 has the best screen, better than S3. Battery life is good. Its a very fast phone, no lag.

BoxerGT2.5
Oct 1, 2012, 10:24 PM
Not credible. ip5 has the best screen, better than S3. Battery life is good. Its a very fast phone, no lag.

Let's be honest, the screen is it. The SG3's battery is better, the phone is also just as fast. Forstall et al dropped a turd of a OS on a remarkable piece of hardware.

dmelgar
Oct 1, 2012, 10:27 PM
I was wondering if any one can tell me about his feelings about the screen size in real life use.

But yesterday a friend let me use his iphone4 to watch a youtube video and the screen looked minute . It was sooo small and cramped. I have seen many other friends use S3 and maybe this is the reason.

While iphone5 offers taller screen it does not offer a wider one. S3 screen size just seems like something you can worth with and pleasure to use it for browsing.

Primary different is the ability to use it with one hand and what to do with the phone when you're not using it. ie pocket, even talking with it.

IMO, the S3 is huge. Feels like a tablet. Why not use an ipad as a phone. Great screen. Lots of room. Videos look great.
... because its too big.

ip5 is sized so that you can use it with one hand. S3 requires two hands to type on it.

Other than that, having owned both, the ip5 is more reliable. Typing is more accurate even on the smaller screen. S3 adds lots of features, some are cool, some are stupid. Tilt to zoom? Shake to update. Word to wake it up is a neat idea but usually didn't work for me. Siri much better than S-Voice.

I've owned Android for 3 years. I'm tired of having to manage memory and processes. S3 has nice tools to help YOU manage it. On iOS you don't have to manage it. No runaway processes like on Android. Vendors don't maintain their phones for long. Motorola announced they've given up on updating a promised phone. HTC hasn't released ICS for almost a year. I don't know Samsung's reputation for updates. But they're generally a company with poor business ethics. I'm always amazed that folks defend them. Must not know much about the company and its CEO.

Mrg02d
Oct 1, 2012, 10:32 PM
Primary different is the ability to use it with one hand and what to do with the phone when you're not using it. ie pocket, even talking with it.

IMO, the S3 is huge. Feels like a tablet. Why not use an ipad as a phone. Great screen. Lots of room. Videos look great.
... because its too big.

ip5 is sized so that you can use it with one hand. S3 requires two hands to type on it.

Other than that, having owned both, the ip5 is more reliable. Typing is more accurate even on the smaller screen. S3 adds lots of features, some are cool, some are stupid. Tilt to zoom? Shake to update. Word to wake it up is a neat idea but usually didn't work for me. Siri much better than S-Voice.

I've owned Android for 3 years. I'm tired of having to manage memory and processes. S3 has nice tools to help YOU manage it. On iOS you don't have to manage it. No runaway processes like on Android. Vendors don't maintain their phones for long. Motorola announced they've given up on updating a promised phone. HTC hasn't released ICS for almost a year. I don't know Samsung's reputation for updates. But they're generally a company with poor business ethics. I'm always amazed that folks defend them. Must not know much about the company and its CEO.

Sounds like BS to me. I've seen small handed girls text one handed on a gs3 so your fact just became a stinky armpit opinion.

The iPhone 5 requires a magnifying glass to read text...yeah.

Dolorian
Oct 1, 2012, 10:41 PM

... because its too big.

Talk about exaggerating things. Saying that the S3 feels like a is nonsense. I can use it quite comfortably with one hand, I can easily move around the phone, pull down the notifications, type on it, scroll through RSS Feeds, emails or Google+ posts or even dial to call someone. I can also quite easily reach any of the phone's buttons with one hand since they are very conveniently placed.

utl768
Oct 1, 2012, 10:44 PM
i have both

only plus about the gs3 is watching videos is pretty awesome but otherwise iphone 5 wins in about every category

battery life on the iphone 5 is a big winner also as the gs3 gets like 5 hrs of battery unless u disable all the widgets nfc and bluetooth

Dolorian
Oct 1, 2012, 10:49 PM
battery life on the iphone 5 is a big winner also as the gs3 gets like 5 hrs of battery unless u disable all the widgets nfc and bluetooth

I get by with my S3 through the whole day on a single charge and I have widgets, wifi, gps, notifications, sync and vibrate on all the time along with all the motion features like smart stay and direct call. And I have no battery management app like Juice Defender installed.

Battery life is actually one of the things I like the most about this phone.

onthecouchagain
Oct 1, 2012, 11:12 PM
The iPhone 5 screen is still pitifully small. That half inch really adds very little difference. I can't believe that's enough to satisfy iPhone users who wanted a large screen. I wonder how many are settling because they have no choice.

utl768
Oct 1, 2012, 11:18 PM
The iPhone 5 screen is still pitifully small. That half inch really adds very little difference. I can't believe that's enough to satisfy iPhone users who wanted a large screen. I wonder how many are settling because they have no choice.

phones are meant to be portable products

4.8 inch screens is basically a small tablet

Loves2spoon
Oct 1, 2012, 11:26 PM

I had the Galaxy S3 for AT&T for 2 weeks and loved everything about it, sometimes I could go 2 days without charging the phone and I use it all day at work. I had to return it because I needed to see what the iPhone 5 had to offer.

I don't play games at work, I use wifi and have everything off - just iMessage, email and use safari. When I get off work I have around 18% left...

My home button is also less then perfect, it doesn't feel solid like my 4/4S. Not sure if I'm going to return it and get the Galaxy S3 International version or the Galaxy Nexus 2.

onthecouchagain
Oct 1, 2012, 11:40 PM

I and millions of other people have no portability issues with 4.6-4.8" screen devices. Really is a non-issue.

If your prefer smaller screens, all good, mate. Just saying, the portability issue is one from imagination.

Dolorian
Oct 1, 2012, 11:46 PM

Sure, they must be portable and have a reasonable size so as to be able to be used as a phone, but the device size must also take into consideration everything that it can do, not just the phone functionality. The 4.8" screen of the S3 does that wonderfully while still keeping the size reasonable and portable, so as to be able to use it as a phone. The S3 fits nicely into my relatively tight jeans and I can use it comfortably with one hand too.

----------

I and millions of other people have no portability issues with 4.6-4.8" screen devices. Really is a non-issue.

If your prefer smaller screens, all good, mate. Just saying, the portability issue is one from imagination.

Definitely, coming from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S3, for my part I can't imagine going back to a smaller screen. I can see why some people prefer the iPhone's size, it is really not for me.

liavman
Oct 1, 2012, 11:58 PM

satire, I assume

I have a friend who does not like Apple very much and defends android and Samsung GS3 a lot, but he never told me about the need to occasionally manage memory and processes in Android and the possible color issues on GS3 that some people have mentioned here. I do not know much about Android and this thread has given me some ammunition :)

The only impression I have about GS3 is playing around with it at a store. Somehow, it does not feel like a premium phone to me. It may be unkind, but it felt a bit Toys 'R Us 'ish as a first impression. Aren't there better Android phones both from a hardware perspective and software perspective. Why is this GS3 is being held up the gold standard for Android?

irDigital0l
Oct 2, 2012, 12:02 AM
Tried my friend's SIII.

Nice screen but too big.

Also he had to turn 4G off in order to preserve battery. After about 30 mins of playing this game...his battery went down 10%...and thats basically new because he just got the phone a day before.

tech4all
Oct 2, 2012, 12:04 AM
Sounds like BS to me. I've seen small handed girls text one handed on a gs3 so your fact just became a stinky armpit opinion.

The iPhone 5 requires a magnifying glass to read text...yeah.

This also smells like BS to me...yeah :rolleyes:

matttye
Oct 2, 2012, 01:22 AM

The portability issue isn't imagination but it is overblown somewhat a lot of the time. The iPhone is very easy to wield with one hand, whereas its a struggle to reach certain parts of the screen on the S3 without shifting your grip.

The S3's size never did bother me though :)

onthecouchagain
Oct 2, 2012, 07:22 AM
The portability issue isn't imagination but it is overblown somewhat a lot of the time. The iPhone is very easy to wield with one hand, whereas its a struggle to reach certain parts of the screen on the S3 without shifting your grip.

Is that a portability issue, though?

If you're talking separately and generally about one-handed use, I'd agree there are some adjustments that need to be done to reach certain areas, but I'd say that "issue" is overblown as well. If you measure exactly how much farther one has to reach, we're typically talking about mere millimeters. It's doable.

And the tradeoffs of a larger screen far out-weight this importance of easy one hand use. (Personally, I had to do shifting too when I handled the iPhone 5, especially since there's no dedicated back button. To move backwards, I always had to reach the top left. I don't see iOS users complaining).

I still feel the iPhone 5's screen is pitifully small. You really don't get much out of that extra .5".

MacBH928
Oct 2, 2012, 11:39 AM

1) It is interesting that you say Vendors dont maintain phones for long , especially when Apple almost kills its devices in 3 years. I am pretty sure 3gs is almost absolete by now

2) What do you mean manage memory and proccesses? Even on iOS you have to shut down apps and restart some times?

liavman
Oct 2, 2012, 11:50 AM
2) What do you mean manage memory and proccesses? Even on iOS you have to shut down apps and restart some times?

Presence of app icons in the multi-tasking tray does not mean they are running. Most often they do not. ( one dramatic way to show that is, even after a full power off/on, they are all there ). There is some myth about getting stuff out of that multi tasking window to improve performance. Very rarely, so rare I do not remember, that you want to get rid of some apps.

In some cases, you have to do that in case the app can run in the background and you want that app to do a cold start. But that is app functionality and not iOS.

matttye
Oct 2, 2012, 11:51 AM
Is that a portability issue, though?

If you're talking separately and generally about one-handed use, I'd agree there are some adjustments that need to be done to reach certain areas, but I'd say that "issue" is overblown as well. If you measure exactly how much farther one has to reach, we're typically talking about mere millimeters. It's doable.

And the tradeoffs of a larger screen far out-weight this importance of easy one hand use. (Personally, I had to do shifting too when I handled the iPhone 5, especially since there's no dedicated back button. To move backwards, I always had to reach the top left. I don't see iOS users complaining).

I still feel the iPhone 5's screen is pitifully small. You really don't get much out of that extra .5".

The S3 is wider. Maybe not too much wider, but your hand has to cope with that extra wideness twice: once for your fingers to grasp/balance the phone and the second time for your thumb to reach whatever you need to tap on.

The S3 is significantly harder to use one handed, no doubt about it, but it's still easy enough not to cause problems IMO.

ugahairydawgs
Oct 2, 2012, 12:41 PM
1) It is interesting that you say Vendors dont maintain phones for long , especially when Apple almost kills its devices in 3 years. I am pretty sure 3gs is almost absolete by now

The 3GS, released over 3 years ago, just got the iOS 6 update.

Jack Flash
Oct 2, 2012, 01:16 PM
The 3GS, released over 4 years ago, just got the iOS 6 update.

Not to nitpick, but it was released June 19th 2009 which is interestingly exactly-ish 3 years and 3 months before iOS 6.0 came out. (September 19th, 2012)

From ArsTechnica:

"As the oldest supported device, the 3GS misses out on the largest number of features: it can't use the 3D Flyover or turn-by-turn navigation features of the new Maps app (restricted to the iPhone 4S and newer), Panorama mode (iPhone 4S or newer), or the offline reading list feature (iPhone 4 or newer).

Features from older iOS versions that didn't make it to the 3GS are still not present in iOS 6: these include location-based Reminders (iPhone 4 and newer), WiFi Personal Hotspot (iPhone 4 and newer), FaceTime (iPhone 4 and newer), AirPlay Mirroring (4S and newer) and Siri (iPhone 4S and newer)."

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/tempting-fate-installing-ios-6-on-the-iphone-3gs/

Not all of those restrictions are due to insufficient hardware; Apple plans obsolescence just like Android phone manufacturers do.

tbayrgs
Oct 2, 2012, 02:43 PM
Not to nitpick, but it was released June 19th 2009 which is interestingly exactly-ish 3 years and 3 months before iOS 6.0 came out. (September 19th, 2012)

From ArsTechnica:

Not all of those restrictions are due to insufficient hardware; Apple plans obsolescence just like Android phone manufacturers do.

But how many Android devices, excluding the Nexus devices, see more than one major update? And how long after the newest version of Android is released does it come to those devices?

Don't quote me on dates because I wasn't really following Android closely until recently but I believe the Galaxy S2 was released in the US last fall, correct? And didn't those handsets just start getting ICS this past June, after the newest version, Jelly Bean was announced, more than 6 months after ICS was announced in October 2011? How much would you like to bet it will never see JB? And don't start telling me at least you can flash whatever ROM you like because while you and I might be inclined to do so, the vast majority of users would look at us like we were speaking a foreign language, much less have a clue how to do it.

Point is, yes Apple cripples many feature for older handsets--that sucks, but at least the older handsets are still getting updates. How many Android phones are getting OS updates even 2 years after their release, much less 3? And getting them on the same day that all other Android users are getting it?

That reason alone is why I'll ONLY ever get a Nexus device if I want to use Android.

Dave.UK
Oct 2, 2012, 03:15 PM
Don't quote me on dates because I wasn't really following Android closely until recently but I believe the Galaxy S2 was released in the US last fall, correct? And didn't those handsets just start getting ICS this past June, after the newest version, Jelly Bean was announced, more than 6 months after ICS was announced in October 2011? How much would you like to bet it will never see JB? And don't start telling me at least you can flash whatever ROM you like because while you and I might be inclined to do so, the vast majority of users would look at us like we were speaking a foreign language, much less have a clue how to do it.

Galaxy S2 will get Jellybean.

Honza
Oct 2, 2012, 06:05 PM
I have owned both, but am sticking with the iP5. I have completely switched how I feel about screen size and aspect ratio. I used to think that to not widen the iPhone would be a horrible mistake, but in practice it is actually the right way to go. First, it is very comfortable to use one handed, something that was impossible with the GSIII. Second, I actually want a study comparison of the same screens of the same apps, websites, movies ect. pulled up with both phones, because it seems like the wider part of the screen is just space wasted in most situations. Most of the top uses for a phone are in list form anyway: texts, email, facebook, twitter, contacts, web browsing (probably about 50% of sites are in mobile or app form); then you have video and gaming, which are much better in a 16x9 widescreen format. In a few situations, like browsing desktop sites or reading a book, it is nicer to have a bigger screen, but does it offset the cost of bulkiness and two-handed use? Those things are better done for a tablet anyway. So as far as the utility and practicality of phone usage, I think the iPhone is the best design. Not to mention that the quality of the screen is far above the GSIII. In the end, it does come down to preference, but many people, including myself (before the iP5), just get caught up with the marketing of bigger is better.

cynics
Oct 2, 2012, 06:22 PM
I have a friend that just picked up an S3 and she was coming from an iPhone 4. She says it doesn't feel wide to her. I noticed she was using a thin case on the S3 but was using an Otterbox defender on her 4. I looked up the dimensions and a defender is about the width of an S3. It LOOKS a lot wider but it's just because you notice how much wider the screen is but in reality it's not.

I just wish the iPhone 5 was the 4/4S size with a larger 4+" screen. Or move the back button to the bottom in apps, I need to adjust my hand to reach the upper left where most apps keep it.

MacBH928
Oct 3, 2012, 11:38 AM
I am getting an S3 from a friend to play with today.

Can any one tell me how to get started on this thing? What to download? what features to test out?

I am looking to see what is going to set the S3 from an iPhone.

I think I once saw that you can download ubuntu on an android device!!

btw, why does Android has a browser called Internet , why does it not ship with Chrome since Google owns Android anyway?

BoxerGT2.5
Oct 3, 2012, 11:44 AM

Can any one tell me how to get started on this thing? What to download? what features to test out?

btw, why does Android has a browser called Internet , why does it not ship with Chrome since Google owns Android anyway?

Takes a few days to get used to it. It's not iOS so don't stare at the thing and say to yourself "this is how iOS does it". Do it the way you want to do it, you have that freedom, so find out what works for you. As far as the internet thing, he's the thing that's gonna blow your mind if you've only used iOS, THEY ACTUALLY LET YOU PICK THE DEFAULT. You want to use Chrome, set it as the default. OMFG what a concept? Can you believe it!

Some of the Samsung native features can be gimmicky. Some iPhone should adopt. For instance the GS3 will vibrate when you pick your phone up to let you know you have a notification. If Apple doesn't want to put a LED on the iPhone, that would be a useful feature.

Download any apps you normally use. Someone will chime in if you want to dive into different launchers but I suggest you wait on that and don't dive into to the deep end till you've tested the water.

paulsalter
Oct 3, 2012, 12:16 PM

The OS is older than Chrome, Chrome for Android came out earlier this year (it is available from the app store for ICS)

ICS and before where earlier than this
JB does come with Chrome as default browser

Zman5225
Oct 3, 2012, 12:20 PM
download swift key free, its a 30 day trial but a great improvement over the stock samsung kb. Like mentioned above, it does take a day or two, or maybe even a week or more before you appreciate android. Get used to the menu button (bottom left next to the home). It'll open up a world of settings in almost every app, page, keyboard, browser or anything you can think of. The back button is sweet. Hmm....just really get used to the settings. Tweak it tweak it tweak it until you like it....thru the settings button haha

Once your comfortable with stuff, venture into launchers. Widgets are sorta neat but a novelty to me and I don't use them anymore except the google widget and the alarm clock. You'll come to love the notification bar and all the settings available in it and how fast you can do things on the phone. Disable s voice (at least I did, I hated it)

That's a starter haha

Zman5225
Oct 3, 2012, 12:42 PM
Oh and if you don't want shortcuts added to your home screens when you download new apps, open the google play store, hit the menu button, hit settings, then disable it from there. Also check the box for update on wifi-only

joshwithachance
Oct 3, 2012, 01:03 PM
I left the 4S for the S3, and then gave up the S3 for the iPhone 5. I have to say that the 5 is the best overall device of the 3.

I think the screen size is actually the perfect compromise between these behemoth Androids and past iPhones.

The battery life is better on the iPhone 5 somehow, even with the much smaller battery.

The screen looks better and uses less power when compared to the S3.

While the 5 is a lot lighter than previous iPhones it still has this premium feel in the hand that you do not get with the S3 due to it's all plastic body.

Also, most apps are designed with the iPhone in mind, and then ported to Android. You can really tell this in the poor execution of most apps on Android.

On top of that, syncing your content from a Mac is a total pain in the ass with the Galaxy S3 due to the MTP file transfer mode, and no longer supporting USB mass storage.

And finally, if something ever goes wrong with your iPhone you can just take it to Apple. This is a luxury often overlooked, and unmatched by any other manufacturer.

To each their own, but the iPhone 5 is the best smartphone on the market.

oBMTo
Oct 3, 2012, 01:28 PM
I left the 4S for the S3, and then gave up the S3 for the iPhone 5. I have to say that the 5 is the best overall device of the 3.

I think the screen size is actually the perfect compromise between these behemoth Androids and past iPhones.

The battery life is better on the iPhone 5 somehow, even with the much smaller battery.

While the 5 is a lot lighter than previous iPhones it still has this premium feel in the hand that you do not get with the S3 due to it's all plastic body.

Also, most apps are designed with the iPhone in mind, and then ported to Android. You can really tell this in the poor execution of most apps on Android.

On top of that, syncing your content from a Mac is a total pain in the ass with the Galaxy S3 due to the MTP file transfer mode, and no longer supporting USB mass storage.

And finally, if something ever goes wrong with your iPhone you can just take it to Apple. This is a luxury often overlooked, and unmatched by any other manufacturer.

You forgot about fragmentation. :rolleyes: You are a walking cliche.

Mrg02d
Oct 3, 2012, 01:41 PM

I actually found the complete opposite to be true...:)

BoxerGT2.5
Oct 3, 2012, 03:12 PM
You forgot about fragmentation. :rolleyes: You are a walking cliche.

Can't say much about that, 3.5in apps on a 4in screen. They can only hope the letterboxes aren't a permanent fixture.

mzjin
Oct 3, 2012, 04:51 PM

The S3 screen is god awful.

Half the brightness of any LCD.
Blue shift
Viewing angles that color shift at even dead straight angles
Awful accuracy
Non-whites
Visible pixels

Owned an S3, hated the screen.

Dunbar
Oct 3, 2012, 05:17 PM

To each their own, I like mine. I really like the extra screen real estate. Screen brightness and blue shift have proven total non-issues for me in real world usage. Someone who calls it god awful probably can nitpick any smartphone to death.

mzjin
Oct 3, 2012, 05:56 PM
To each their own, I like mine. I really like the extra screen real estate. Screen brightness and blue shift have proven total non-issues for me in real world usage. Someone who calls it god awful probably can nitpick any smartphone to death.

In real world usage the S3 is unusable outside in any sunlight. Which made the phone a complete fail.

kiltedthrower
Oct 3, 2012, 06:22 PM
In real world usage the S3 is unusable outside in any sunlight. Which made the phone a complete fail.

It's weird you say that since I'm using an S3 in direct sunlight and reading and responding to this without any issues.

Technarchy
Oct 3, 2012, 06:25 PM

Blue shift
Awful accuracy
Non-whites
Visible pixels

Some would call you a liar...but what you say is true.

blackhand1001
Oct 3, 2012, 06:29 PM
The OS is older than Chrome, Chrome for Android came out earlier this year (it is available from the app store for ICS)

ICS and before where earlier than this
JB does come with Chrome as default browser

JB still does not default chrome and for good reason. Chrome for android needs a ton of work. The stock jellybean browser is so much smoother, faster, and more stable. The only device that for some dumb reason defaults chrome is the nexus 7 but you can sideload the stock browser which is still so much better.

Dunbar
Oct 3, 2012, 07:03 PM

It would make any smartphone a complete fail for me since I wear polarized sunglasses in direct sunlight rendering all screens unreadable. I almost never use my smartphones in direct sunlight so I've found this to be a complete non-issue. Man, you sure do love to nitpick though. I bet you're loving that maps app in iOS6.

mackinmike
Oct 3, 2012, 07:48 PM
I currently own both and I prefer using the S3. I came from BB and I like the fact there's a dedicated back button. For iphones, there is none except for the back button that part of the app.... and it's usually up on the left corner. I hate the fact that when i'm reading thru emails or chats, I have to move my thumb to the top left corner instead of a dedicated back button located at the bottom of the phone. It's a bit of a stretch when I'm using it one handed and trying to hold it securely.

Screen size, the ip5 is tiny. Once you go bigger, it's hard to look at the ip5's tiny screen. Whatsapp still isn't updated for the larger screen... while there was an great update to whatsapp on android 2 days ago. WTH?

Functionality-wise, all the apps I use are on both platforms. Iphones just doesn't have the edge anymore.

In the end, what do I use most? The S3.

mzjin
Oct 3, 2012, 08:18 PM
I currently own both and I prefer using the S3. I came from BB and I like the fact there's a dedicated back button. For iphones, there is none except for the back button that part of the app.... and it's usually up on the left corner. I hate the fact that when i'm reading thru emails or chats, I have to move my thumb to the top left corner instead of a dedicated back button located at the bottom of the phone. It's a bit of a stretch when I'm using it one handed and trying to hold it securely.

Screen size, the ip5 is tiny. Once you go bigger, it's hard to look at the ip5's tiny screen. Whatsapp still isn't updated for the larger screen... while there was an great update to whatsapp on android 2 days ago. WTH?

Functionality-wise, all the apps I use are on both platforms. Iphones just doesn't have the edge anymore.

In the end, what do I use most? The S3.

Whatsapp? Lol. The fact that you use this instead of Google Voice or iMessage...

What do you still use AIM on your phone too?

mackinmike
Oct 3, 2012, 08:50 PM
Whatsapp? Lol. The fact that you use this instead of Google Voice or iMessage...

yea whatsapp. what's wrong with that? i have overseas friends and friends on different platforms that continue to use it. the world doesn't revolve around imessages or google talk. SMH.

dmelgar
Oct 4, 2012, 01:15 AM

Apple may stop support after 3 years, but most android phones don't receive updates after a few months.

On iOS you do NOT have to shut down apps. That's confusion from the android world. iOS does not permit apps to run in the background. What you're referring to is a list of recently run apps. They may still be in memory but are suspended. It's generally not possible for them to be running unless your jail broken.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 4, 2012, 01:44 AM
On iOS you do NOT have to shut down apps. That's confusion from the android world. iOS does not permit apps to run in the background. What you're referring to is a list of recently run apps. They may still be in memory but are suspended. It's generally not possible for them to be running unless your jail broken.

Some apps do. Mostly some default apps. Also I remember I used an instant messenger app before and it pretty much would kill my battery. iOS is not immune.

Anyways, having no control over this has it's drawbacks. Like when safari feels like refreshing when you go back to it or you have to log into an secure app again when you just used it less than a minute ago. I even had some note and document apps do a complete refresh, losing everything I just wrote even though it suppose to auto save. Sometimes when an app acts up, you do have to manually close it out. Stuff like this doesn't happen often for me on iOS, but it does happen.

On the GS3, not only does it do a great job in managing multitasking and memory usage. You can also control how background processes are able to run at once if you run into problems. Or you can choose to auto close every app after you leave it.

paulsalter
Oct 4, 2012, 03:06 AM
JB still does not default chrome and for good reason. Chrome for android needs a ton of work. The stock jellybean browser is so much smoother, faster, and more stable. The only device that for some dumb reason defaults chrome is the nexus 7 but you can sideload the stock browser which is still so much better.

Thanks for correction, my mistake

I was basing it on the N7 but thought I read that this was the same for all JB devices

MacBH928
Oct 4, 2012, 11:05 PM
What are Android launchers?

Is Jelly bean out? and if so how can I update? If not, when will it be out?

When you say I should tinker with the device so it is how I like it, where do I tinker from? Just the settings?

Any apps you recommend that will get me the best out of Android?

Dave.UK
Oct 5, 2012, 04:19 AM

When you say I should tinker with the device so it is how I like it, where do I tinker from? Just the settings?

A launcher is an app that sits over the top and makes it look different. I currently use one on my GS3 called GoLauncher (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gau.go.launcherex&hl=en) and the missus uses one called Nova launcher (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&hl=en) on her Galaxy Nexus.

Jelly bean is due out somne point during October on the GS3 (UK release).

One app I always recommend to people using Android is Juice Defender (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.latedroid.juicedefender). Having it set up correctly has doubled my battery life and I can easily get 2 days out of my GS3.

madden
Oct 5, 2012, 08:04 PM

I had both for a month, kept the S3 for its larger scree, customizing options and mini sd card storage. However, the iphone 5 is a fantastic device too. Feels faster than the S3 and its very smooth and fluid. Screen is too narrow and small for my personal taste. Try them both, cant go wrong with either.

----------

Blue shift
Awful accuracy
Non-whites
Visible pixels

This is true, especially when you have them side by side. However, the size of the screen was just too much of a bonus to me to keep the iphone 5 over the S3

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 5, 2012, 08:38 PM

Blue shift
Awful accuracy
Non-whites
Visible pixels

Some would call you a liar...but what you say is true.

Some would call that the truth .... but what he said is lies.

Visible pixels my ***.

MacBH928
Oct 7, 2012, 12:04 PM
I had both for a month, kept the S3 for its larger scree, customizing options and mini sd card storage. However, the iphone 5 is a fantastic device too. Feels faster than the S3 and its very smooth and fluid. Screen is too narrow and small for my personal taste. Try them both, cant go wrong with either.

Thats the problem, i can't try both , where would I find an iphone 5 to test out :p

currently testing an S3 from a friend, looks pretty amazing if you ask me

matttye
Oct 7, 2012, 12:12 PM
Visible pixels

Why is there a hawk on MacRumors?! :confused:

Markyboy81
Oct 7, 2012, 12:33 PM
Why is there a hawk on MacRumors?! :confused:

I had my eyes tested earlier this year and have better than 20-20 vision and still can't make out individuals on the s3!

matttye
Oct 7, 2012, 12:54 PM
I had my eyes tested earlier this year and have better than 20-20 vision and still can't make out individuals on the s3!

I highly doubt mzjin can either.

People tend to make absurd claims when defending their product of choice, either for their product or against competing ones.

Dolorian
Oct 7, 2012, 04:36 PM

You'll have to get incredibly close to the screen to actually notice the pixels on the S3 (same with the iPhone). The difference between 326 and 306 ppi is practically indistinguishable for the naked eye.

chinu89
Oct 8, 2012, 05:40 AM
Samsung Galaxy S3 phone is better than iphone 5.Although i did not own any of these phones,i used the galaxy s3 for few days,which i took it from my friend and the phone is just superb,super speed,super processing.
Although i heard all negatives of iphone 5,so i would not recommend it to you
Although iphone 4 is my all time favourite phone

MacBH928
Oct 11, 2012, 12:46 PM

Actually thats one of the down sides for me, I can easily notice the pixels. i can notice it more than my BB 9870! Just saying what I see . I think maybe we use retina displays from Apple we can tell the smallest difference.

nick_elt
Oct 14, 2012, 10:29 AM

I have a note 2 and ipad 3. This is my first Android device and to be honest im shocked how much I am loving it. There is no lag at all. Id even say it's faster than the ipad and some of the features are amazing. It fits fine in my pocket dont notice it at all. I would def recommend this phone to anyone.

----------

you obviously havent used one for a while, l Moved from an iphone 3g to a note2 and its not like a tablet it fits in My pocket fine. I love it.

----------

They are just fan boys justifying their small screen.

Markyboy81
Oct 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
I have a note 2 and ipad 3. This is my first Android device and to be honest im shocked how much I am loving it. There is no lag at all. Id even say it's faster than the ipad and some of the features are amazing. It fits fine in my pocket dont notice it at all. I would def recommend this phone to anyone.

----------

you obviously havent used one for a while, l Moved from an iphone 3g to a note2 and its not like a tablet it fits in My pocket fine. I love it.

----------

They are just fan boys justifying their small screen.

If someone can see and gets bothered by pixels on the s3 I dread to think how they must react when watching their 32" 1080p television- they must literally go crazy

jargon51
Oct 16, 2012, 03:12 PM
So I've read through all of the posts and was hoping that I could get some insight from those of you using the S3 in regards to business use. I need to have e-mails immediately on my device. I use Gmail set up as an exchange account on my iPhone5 and that works fine. I am just tired of the same old thing and want to make the switch to the S3 but I cannot give up the reliability I have with the iPhone.

I also really like visual voice mail and I see that you can set up an app for it on the S3...does it work as well as the iPhone?

Will the S3 be as reliable when it comes to e-mails/calls/calendar etc? The rest of the features that the S3 is just icing on the cake which I really do want to try but not at the expense of losing functionality.

Another thing I rely on is the bluetooth integration with my car and the ability to play music. I'm assuming this won't be a problem but any experiences with this would help.

Also I am concerned with the build quality but not in the sense that it's plastic but I am curious to know how it holds up in your pocket when it comes to dust and lint getting in places where it shouldn't.

Thanks

tbayrgs
Oct 16, 2012, 03:37 PM
So I've read through all of the posts and was hoping that I could get some insight from those of you using the S3 in regards to business use. I need to have e-mails immediately on my device. I use Gmail set up as an exchange account on my iPhone5 and that works fine. I am just tired of the same old thing and want to make the switch to the S3 but I cannot give up the reliability I have with the iPhone.

I also really like visual voice mail and I see that you can set up an app for it on the S3...does it work as well as the iPhone?

Will the S3 be as reliable when it comes to e-mails/calls/calendar etc? The rest of the features that the S3 is just icing on the cake which I really do want to try but not at the expense of losing functionality.

Thanks

Using Google services on a phone with a Google OS, probably will work OK ;).

I'm guessing that the visual voicemail replacement is Google Voice. I used it briefly on a Galaxy Nexus and it actually goes beyond Apple's VV in that you can receive transcriptions both via text message and in the GV app. I found them to be rather inaccurate but that could very well be because my wife talks way too fast. :D. I personally prefer how Apple integrates it right into phone app but considering how customizable Android is, I'm guessing there is a better third party solution that I just didn't discover.

And again, I used a Galaxy Nexus so cannot comment specifically regarding the S3 but I used to stream both music (via Google Music) and Internet radio to my car without any issues and cannot imagine it being any different with the S3.

Markyboy81
Oct 16, 2012, 03:43 PM

Another thing I rely on is the bluetooth integration with my car and the ability to play music. I'm assuming this won't be a problem but any experiences with this would help.

Also I am concerned with the build quality but not in the sense that it's plastic but I am curious to know how it holds up in your pocket when it comes to dust and lint getting in places where it shouldn't.

Thanks

I've come from an iPhone 4s so I think I can help you not a bit on this.

When it comes to build quality, the iPhone is clearly the better device. Having said that, there are no creaks and it does feel robust. The back panel does feel flimsy but apparently it is strong and also you can't notice it when it's clipped on. The s3 feels better in the hand due to the rounded edges and it's also less noticeable in the pocket I find, due to being thinner than the 4s.
I was also dubious about the size of the s3 but I find I have no problems at all. It's true that one handed usage isn't quite as easy, but I was mostly using two hands with the iPhone anyway as most iPhone owners do- wasn't this he point of multi touch?

I initially had issues using the s3 with my exchange email account, but most of these seem to be sorted now, although for some reason I have to manually sync my calendar.

Bluetooth integration is almost as good as iPhone. Although it automatically connects to my car stereo without me having to press anything, for some reason there is more lag when skipping songs from the stereo- i don't know why this is.

Overall I'm very impressed with the s3 and won't be returning to iPhone anytime soon. It's taken me a week to get used to Android but I love that I have more control over my phone and can also upgrade the memory for a relatively small price-i'm now rocking a 64gig card and loving it!

jargon51
Oct 16, 2012, 03:49 PM
I've come from an iPhone 4s so I think I can help you not a bit on this.

When it comes to build quality, the iPhone is clearly the better device. Having said that, there are no creaks and it does feel robust. The back panel does feel flimsy but apparently it is strong and also you can't notice it when it's clipped on. The s3 feels better in the hand due to the rounded edges and it's also less noticeable in the pocket I find, due to being thinner than the 4s.
I was also dubious about the size of the s3 but I find I have no problems at all. It's true that one handed usage isn't quite as easy, but I was mostly using two hands with the iPhone anyway as most iPhone owners do- wasn't this he point of multi touch?

I initially had issues using the s3 with my exchange email account, but most of these seem to be sorted now, although for some reason I have to manually sync my calendar.

Bluetooth integration is almost as good as iPhone. Although it automatically connects to my car stereo without me having to press anything, for some reason there is more lag when skipping songs from the stereo- i don't know why this is.

Overall I'm very impressed with the s3 and won't be returning to iPhone anytime soon. It's taken me a week to get used to Android but I love that I have more control over my phone and can also upgrade the memory for a relatively small price-i'm now rocking a 64gig card and loving it!

Thank you for the information. Very good to know. Keep it coming!

kbstl
Oct 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
I picked up a Galaxy Sunday at Best Buy. I woke up Monday morning with a little buyers remorse and started watching you tube videos. Here's my take so far

Pros
Reception blows away my iPhone 4! I thought it was AT&T and it turned out to be the phone. I bought a case and car charger for 14 bucks. Not going to happen with apple. Love the micro sd and removable battery. I didn't think I would like the size but I do, iPhone seems tiny now. Yeah you have to work a little to get it the way you want but to me it's worth it.

I looked at the iPhone 5 and it's a really nice looking phone but it seemed to delicate and no google maps and the new apple connector along with the price made me wanna try something different.

Things I miss
I like the simplicity and ease of iMessage and I really miss downcast. I need a good podcast app that lets you skip and go back using earbuds and has different playback speeds.

jargon51
Oct 16, 2012, 07:04 PM
I picked up a Galaxy Sunday at Best Buy. I woke up Monday morning with a little buyers remorse and started watching you tube videos. Here's my take so far

Pros
Reception blows away my iPhone 4! I thought it was AT&T and it turned out to be the phone. I bought a case and car charger for 14 bucks. Not going to happen with apple. Love the micro sd and removable battery. I didn't think I would like the size but I do, iPhone seems tiny now. Yeah you have to work a little to get it the way you want but to me it's worth it.

I looked at the iPhone 5 and it's a really nice looking phone but it seemed to delicate and no google maps and the new apple connector along with the price made me wanna try something different.

Things I miss
I like the simplicity and ease of iMessage and I really miss downcast. I need a good podcast app that lets you skip and go back using earbuds and has different playback speeds.

Excellent, I appreciate all of this information. It's still a very tough decision but I think I am going to make the switch and give the S3 and Android a try.

BuryMeInSmoke
Oct 18, 2012, 12:15 PM
FWIW, I've owned multiple android devices including the s3. I always come back to iPhones for their simplicity and app quality. Couldn't be happier with my 64gb iPhone 5 but your mileage may vary. Good luck with your decision, it's tough!

robanga
Oct 18, 2012, 12:16 PM
Close... I use both an iPhone 5 and an HTC One X daily.

MacBH928
Oct 19, 2012, 11:33 PM
Excellent, I appreciate all of this information. It's still a very tough decision but I think I am going to make the switch and give the S3 and Android a try.

I really suggest you test it out before you make a purchase, unless it has like 30 day return policy. I was going to get the s3, but after I tested a friend's device for few days I decided I will stay with the iPhone decision. You might end up with a different conclusion

iosuser
Oct 20, 2012, 08:36 AM
I have them both, for now. Contemplating if I'm keeping the 5. That extra bit of height is not doing much for me, after used to having the enormous amount of space on the S3. But there are a few things in Android that bug me, like no zooming out in email and the apps. If I don't keep the 5, I'll switch between the 4S and S3.

To answer the OP's question, yes I feel the iPhone 5's screen is still too small, IMO it is neither big nor small enough, so I might as well keep the 4S and the S3. I'll have both too small and too big :p The enormous amount of space on the S3 is worth the extra bulk to me, but it's very hard to me to give up the apps in iOS which is why I'll have both.

Someone mentioned something about the DPI on the screen. It's not that the S3's screen has a low DPI. It's the Pentile pixel arrangement that causes blurry text (especially smaller fonts) which I can pretty clearly see.

playtillyadrop
Oct 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
I have them both, for now. Contemplating if I'm keeping the 5. That extra bit of height is not doing much for me, after used to having the enormous amount of space on the S3. But there are a few things in Android that bug me, like no zooming out in email and the apps. If I don't keep the 5, I'll switch between the 4S and S3.

To answer the OP's question, yes I feel the iPhone 5's screen is still too small, IMO it is neither big nor small enough, so I might as well keep the 4S and the S3. I'll have both too small and too big :p The enormous amount of space on the S3 is worth the extra bulk to me, but it's very hard to me to give up the apps in iOS which is why I'll have both.

Someone mentioned something about the DPI on the screen. It's not that the S3's screen has a low DPI. It's the Pentile pixel arrangement that causes blurry text (especially smaller fonts) which I can pretty clearly see.

They've fixed the zooming issue with the gmail app now. You can now pinch to zoom with in emails also it displays the entire email :) no more scrolling. The sad part is it hasn't been officially released yet but they are going to release the update soon. If you are impatient you can always do a search on XDA and install the update yourself.

Akash.B
Oct 20, 2012, 10:30 AM
I own both, and I like them both a lot. But the new iPhone just feels so much faster with no visible lag at any time. While the S3 is fast, it just lags every now and then, especially when going from app to app quickly. I hope Jelly Bean and project butter can make this phone just as snazzy as the iP5.
But in terms of customization, my god is the S3 so much better. I love the widgets a lot

3bs
Oct 20, 2012, 10:35 AM
They've fixed the zooming issue with the gmail app now. You can now pinch to zoom with in emails also it displays the entire email :) no more scrolling. The sad part is it hasn't been officially released yet but they are going to release the update soon. If you are impatient you can always do a search on XDA and install the update yourself.

So glad they finally fixed this. I'm impatient so I installed the leaked version :p

zbarvian
Oct 20, 2012, 10:38 AM
I own both, and I like them both a lot. But the new iPhone just feels so much faster with no visible lag at any time. While the S3 is fast, it just lags every now and then, especially when going from app to app quickly. I hope Jelly Bean and project butter can make this phone just as snazzy as the iP5.
But in terms of customization, my god is the S3 so much better. I love the widgets a lot

I wish there was a way for Google to get Apple's impeccable hardware-software integration. They'd probably have to start making their own devices, though. I like the sound of that.

MacRumorUser
Oct 20, 2012, 10:43 AM
I wish there was a way for Google to get Apple's impeccable hardware-software integration. They'd probably have to start making their own devices, though. I like the sound of that.

We all assumed that was the reason they bought Motorola... So far we advent seen any proof of that yet though.

zbarvian
Oct 20, 2012, 10:59 AM
We all assumed that was the reason they bought Motorola... So far we advent seen any proof of that yet though.

Motorola's releasing Android 4.0 phones with their awful skin.

.macbookpro.
Oct 20, 2012, 06:14 PM

You moved because apple changed their charger. You moved from 30 pin to micro usb, thus changing charger. Also, apple sell an (expensive-but if you see whats in it you can see why) adapter so you only need to buy one adapter and carry it with you. That doesn't make any sense. you still moved charger, and it was a more difficult move.
Personally, I will be getting a Sony Xperia S. Its a good compromise between the two. 4.3 inch screen, premium feel, and its much cheaper than the iPhone.
What i am worried about though, is how long will i continue to get update for it? iPhone 3gs got the ios6 update 3 years after it came out. My old Sony Xperia x8, which came out probably 4 years ago, hasn't had one update since i bought it.
Also, Apple sell a micro usb to lightning adapter now,

globtroter
Oct 21, 2012, 01:08 AM
Do not forget about this!

Galaxy S3 software update ALPHA now with SPLIT SCREEN/ MULTIWINDOW feature(same as Note2), processor boosted-1.6 GHz and many more!
It looks like now no big dif.between S3 and Note2 (stylus, screen size)
Link:
http://apkgalaxy.com/android-news/galaxy-s3-alpha-runs-jelly-bean-with-built-in-multi-window-support.html

tperry
Oct 21, 2012, 01:22 AM
Motorola's releasing Android 4.0 phones with their awful skin.

You been by a Verizon store to check out the new HD RAZR? What little I played with it before release day I liked. The meotoBlur skin seem like it is Applefying the device.

tperry
Oct 21, 2012, 01:25 AM
satire, I assume

I have a friend who does not like Apple very much and defends android and Samsung GS3 a lot, but he never told me about the need to occasionally manage memory and processes in Android and the possible color issues on GS3 that some people have mentioned here. I do not know much about Android and this thread has given me some ammunition :)

The only impression I have about GS3 is playing around with it at a store. Somehow, it does not feel like a premium phone to me. It may be unkind, but it felt a bit Toys 'R Us 'ish as a first impression. Aren't there better Android phones both from a hardware perspective and software perspective. Why is this GS3 is being held up the gold standard for Android?

Here is some more. A die hard iPhone fen that works at the local Verizon store just got a S3. He has dumped his iPhone and is all in on Android. Just the week before if you had looked up the definition of "fanboy" you would have seen his picture beside it. :)

tperry
Oct 21, 2012, 01:27 AM
This also smells like BS to me...yeah :rolleyes:

Actually, no. I have to use my 1.5x cheaters when I use the iPhone, don't have to with my S3.

tperry
Oct 21, 2012, 01:31 AM

Because the newer devices ARE coming with Chrome. At least from Motorola. The new RAZR line has it v

tperry
Oct 21, 2012, 01:37 AM

Replaces touchwiz on the S3. Apex and Nova are two of the most popular. I like Nova better myself, and I have registered copies of both.

kbstl
Oct 21, 2012, 05:25 PM
You moved because apple changed their charger. You moved from 30 pin to micro usb, thus changing charger. Also, apple sell an (expensive-but if you see whats in it you can see why) adapter so you only need to buy one adapter and carry it with you. That doesn't make any sense. you still moved charger, and it was a more difficult move.
Personally, I will be getting a Sony Xperia S. Its a good compromise between the two. 4.3 inch screen, premium feel, and its much cheaper than the iPhone.
What i am worried about though, is how long will i continue to get update for it? iPhone 3gs got the ios6 update 3 years after it came out. My old Sony Xperia x8, which came out probably 4 years ago, hasn't had one update since i bought it.
Also, Apple sell a micro usb to lightning adapter now,

I moved because I wanted to try something different. The new iPhone wasn't doing it for me and I needed a phone with LTE. But the fact apple gouges you for their chargers and adapters didn't help. My point was, its cheaper getting into a micro USB ecosystem than a new apple lightning ecosystem.

mackinmike
Oct 23, 2013, 06:43 PM

u must be the only one not using whatsapp. behind the curve aren't we?