Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Hi.

I've been looking to get an installer CD for Leopard. I've seen some offered on Craig's List and eBay.

I know that some discs are system-specific., and others can be used across systems.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Hi.

I've been looking to get an installer CD for Leopard. I've seen some offered on Craig's List and eBay.

I know that some discs are system-specific., and others can be used across systems.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks.

Depending on what iBook you have, they either came with Panther 10.3 or Tiger 10.4 OSX never Leopard 10.5

That said, I have the 1.33ghz 12" iBook/1.42ghz 14" final revision of the iBooks OEM discs that came with 10.4.2 Tiger. That's the best you could do in terms of OEM install discs in mid 2005.

Let me know if you need the discs. You will have to buy Leopard retail if that's what you want.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Depending on what iBook you have, they either came with Panther 10.3 or Tiger 10.4 OSX never Leopard 10.5

That said, I have the 1.33ghz 12" iBook/1.42ghz 14" final revision of the iBooks OEM discs that came with 10.4.2 Tiger. That's the best you could do in terms of OEM install discs in mid 2005.

Let me know if you need the discs. You will have to buy Leopard retail if that's what you want.

Thanks. I too have the 133.GHz 12" iBook. It came with Leopard installed but no discs.

I much prefer to keep Leopard. From your response, it seems I'd need to buy the Leopard retail discs.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You're looking for a Leopard disk with a black background (retail).

It's my understanding the no PowerBook or iBook was ever sold with Leopard pre-installed by Apple so any gray Leopard disk you see won't work in your iBook.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
You're looking for a Leopard disk with a black background (retail).

It's my understanding the no PowerBook or iBook was ever sold with Leopard pre-installed by Apple so any gray Leopard disk you see won't work in your iBook.

Thanks.

I got this on eBay in 2010 for $220, Leopard installed.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
WOW!

The prices for Leopard retail are way too high for what I'd like to spend.

Can I run Disk Utility for my iBook from a Tiger disc?

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
WOW!

The prices for Leopard retail are way too high for what I'd like to spend.

Can I run Disk Utility for my iBook from a Tiger disc?

Yes, Leopard retail discs have become very expensive. The only reason I've been able to come up with is that it's the last OS X that worked on PowerPC. But I never would have guessed there were that many PowerPC users left.

You should be able to use Disk Utility from any OS X install disc.
But if you try to resize a partition with that disc, it will erase the contents.
I think you need 10.5 or later to resize a partition and keep its contents.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Yes, Leopard retail discs have become very expensive. The only reason I've been able to come up with is that it's the last OS X that worked on PowerPC. But I never would have guessed there were that many PowerPC users left.

Supply and demand agree with your guess. I've seen them offered for as much as $219.

You should be able to use Disk Utility from any OS X install disc.
But if you try to resize a partition with that disc, it will erase the contents.
I think you need 10.5 or later to resize a partition and keep its contents.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.