Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poet4u

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Greetings Fellow Mac a roons,

I thought the Brother printer I purchased for my iMac would had what they called iFax that would make me able to send faxes through my ISP just like an email. However when I got it now I have found out that only their color printers have this feature. Mine has it but can only use SBC because they are the only ones who do not use Secure Socket Layer or SSL. Everyone else on the planet does.

I thought maybe there is some software out there that will do this but now that I am looking it appears that the software is to be used in conjunction with sites where you have to pay for their internet fax services.

I have done tons of research and I wonder can I buy an app that will allow me to fax right from my Mac? If not is there a monochrome laser printer that does that? I am open to free services I have seen but I guess they are limited to the pages you can send. I want to close down my landline but this has turned in to a pain in the butt.

Can anyone give me relief? LOL Neil

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have been using Faxzero to send faxes. As you mentioned though, the free service is limited to three pages. For my limited needs it does the trick.

poet4u

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
I have been using Faxzero to send faxes. As you mentioned though, the free service is limited to three pages. For my limited needs it does the trick.

Greetings
Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, that is an issue for me though most of the time I don't fax a lot of pages. I think also I am beginning to see that even if a printer is set up to send internet faxes it still needs a service. Do you know anything about that? I know for sure that HP has something they call efax and so many (20) I think a month are free but then you have to pay. Well, if I am limited by not having a landline then so be it. I will figure a way around it. Many thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Greetings
Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, that is an issue for me though most of the time I don't fax a lot of pages. I think also I am beginning to see that even if a printer is set up to send internet faxes it still needs a service. Do you know anything about that? I know for sure that HP has something they call efax and so many (20) I think a month are free but then you have to pay. Well, if I am limited by not having a landline then so be it. I will figure a way around it. Many thanks!

I think for the use you describe you would be better off just subscribing to a web based service. I am not familiar with the HP service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.