PDA

View Full Version : Camcorder with Analog Video In

Hoef
Aug 23, 2005, 08:13 PM
I am in the market for a camcorder that has analog video input capabilities (in order to transfer VCRs). Most Sony's seem to have that but can't figure it out if Canon does .... Anyway suggestions welcome in the <$600 range.

solvs
Aug 23, 2005, 10:05 PM
Go here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&a=227_1426&shs=&ci=1871&ac=&Submit.x=15&Submit.y=12&Submit=Go and compare a few models. Sort by price. It may take you awhile, but it's all there under Specifications. Enjoy.

hotwire132002
Aug 23, 2005, 10:22 PM
I am in the market for a camcorder that has analog video input capabilities (in order to transfer VCRs). Most Sony's seem to have that but can't figure it out if Canon does .... Anyway suggestions welcome in the <$600 range.

I know my old Canon ZR60 has analog in... I don't know if the newer models do, though. I would assume that they have analog in... if so, they're probably a decent choice.

Hope that helps!

MacFan25863
Aug 23, 2005, 11:04 PM
I've never seen a camcorder without analog in, and I deal with them all day (mainly Panisonic and Canon ones, though we do have one Sony...they all have analog in).

Hoef
Aug 23, 2005, 11:16 PM
Excellent ... Thanks a bunch

tommyhonda92
Aug 24, 2005, 12:05 AM
If you are looking at camera's in the $600 price range, any camera you find should have the analog input. I can verify from personnal ownership that the Canon ZR400(I love this camera by the way) has this. As does the ZR300, and ZR200, but I don't believe the ZR100 has this. Likewise for the Sony's. The Sony DCR-HC21 does not have anolog input but the DCR-HC32 does, and anything higher than the 32 does too. This is what separates the 21 from the 32. These cameras mentioned here are all the MiniDV format. If you are looking at a mini DVD camera, then most don't have analog input. And most DVD cameras also do not have a firewire output, so if you plan on editing footage with iMovie with a DVD camera, you simply can't. Hope this helps.

D

tweakers_suck
Aug 24, 2005, 12:07 AM
I have used my canon on several occasions to transfer vhs to minidv tapes. The canon also has an ADC, so you could go directly to your mac withour DV tape.

Take a look at the Canons. I like my little camera a lot.

Hoef
Aug 24, 2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the info .... Canon gets quite a favorable response .... I am fancying an Optura 400.

crachoar
Aug 25, 2005, 03:21 AM
As much as I dislike Sony for screwing me with their Playstation products...

I've got to say - they make a decent mid-range camcorder.

I have a TRV-22 (handycam) that I use every now and then - and it's pretty solid. It has analog in and plenty of nice features. It's kind of weird not having many actual buttons (it uses a touch-screen) - but overall - I'm pretty happy with it.

The only real downside is that it doesn't have a real lens cap. It has some odd snap-on cap that swings like a door. It's kind of hard to explain...

Canon - makes excellent high-end DV cams. However, their lower-mid-range cameras - I've not been impressed with at all.

I've had a few 'ZR's' break on me. After the second time, I gave up on them.

My personal choice for consumer or mid-range is Sony. But high-end goes to Panasonic and Canon - hands down.

MacRy
Aug 25, 2005, 03:48 AM
Go here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&a=227_1426&shs=&ci=1871&ac=&Submit.x=15&Submit.y=12&Submit=Go and compare a few models. Sort by price. It may take you awhile, but it's all there under Specifications. Enjoy.

Great useful website. Thanks for that :)

NCTRNL
Aug 25, 2005, 11:27 PM
I just bought a Panasonic GS-250 and I have to say...it's pretty badass. It has analog in with S-Video as well...