Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
OK so I sold my 4s to my Aunt for giving me her early iPhone upgrade. She gave it to my cousin and just got the phone today. I did a complete reset and sent the phone off to her. I just got a message on my iMac and ipad saying my cousins iPHone is now using my email address for Facetime and iMessage . HOW DO I GET THIS REMOVED?! It so odd if she sees my conversations.

anybody please help?

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
changed my password and all my idevices asked for the new password. Thank you. Will this for sure change it? cause it is so odd to even text someone now

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
its still so odd. How in the world would my email be associated with that phone still? she dose not know my password

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
its still so odd. How in the world would my email be associated with that phone still? she dose not know my password

When you say "did a complete reset," what exactly did you do? I've found that the surest way is to do Settings > Genral > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings right on the phone. Restoring while connected to iTunes sometimes causes some settings to be synced to the phone, though it's usually just the iTunes store login, and you have to sign in to FaceTime etc on the phone after the restore.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
When you say "did a complete reset," what exactly did you do? I've found that the surest way is to do Settings > Genral > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings right on the phone. Restoring while connected to iTunes sometimes causes some settings to be synced to the phone, though it's usually just the iTunes store login, and you have to sign in to FaceTime etc on the phone after the restore.

I did settings> erase all content and settings.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So "someone" is a "family member" so it's not really that tragic because you just need to call him and tell him to stop.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I did settings> erase all content and settings.

Oh, wait, did you upgrade to iOS 6 before you did the "erase all content and settings"? Maybe the phone # of the phone you gave to your relative got associated with your Apple ID?

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
So "someone" is a "family member" so it's not really that tragic because you just need to call him and tell him to stop.

I did, went to voicemail lol. Its just odd because she got the phone this morning from me and it just now said that my email was associated with her iphone. I text plenty of people with imessage. you would think she would have turned it off maybe

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Oh, wait, did you upgrade to iOS 6 before you did the "erase all content and settings"? Maybe the phone # of the phone you gave to your relative got associated with your Apple ID?

yes i upgraded to ios 6 before the reset.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
you didn't turn off imessage and your apple ID is still associated with your old 4s.

Here is what you need to do, you need to remove the 4S from your support profile at this website.

https://daw.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...618204c476572a1b5e5fb3518&path&language=US-EN

Log into your support profile, find your 4S and delete it so the association between your Apple ID and 4S are severed.

OK I did that! SO I changed my Apple ID password, and now took it off from my support file. I should be good now right? lol

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Yes you should be fine now....it was never an issue with your Apple ID/pass, it was 4S was still linked to apple ID via support profile...its a glitch/bug...

But you should be fine now

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
The same thing just happened to me the other day. Sold my iPhone 4 and I got a message saying my email was being used by the buyers iPhone. I emailed her and she never got any of my messages. She checked her iMessage settings and none of my info was there. I just checked my support profile and my iPhone 4 is still listed. So deleting that will sever the connection completely?

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
The same thing just happened to me the other day. Sold my iPhone 4 and I got a message saying my email was being used by the buyers iPhone. I emailed her and she never got any of my messages. She checked her iMessage settings and none of my info was there. I just checked my support profile and my iPhone 4 is still listed. So deleting that will sever the connection completely?

I just did this on my account... my 4Gs is on its way to the new owner... glad i saw this.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I'm now having this issue too with an iPhone I sold last week. I've now changed my Apple ID password and used the link above to unregistered the sold iPhone. Should I be all set now? This message really got me worried now.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Wait a minute...restoring a phone and setting up as a new phone will still allow the phone to receive messages unless it is explicitly de-registered?

Or is this procedure only done if somebody sold their phone without restoring it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.