Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
I have an iBook G4 12.1" 1.33GHz 1.5GB RAM and a 40 GB HDD that I would like to upgrade and modify.

1. I would like to install a SSD to decrease temperature, decrease read/write times, and to increase capacity.

2. I would like to install a wireless N adapter inside the computer. My idea is to remove the modem and the current airport card and put the adapter where those two would be. Does anyone think this could work?

3. Upgrade the current ODD to a superdrive.

4. Does anyone know if it's possible to install a mini-disc/mini-dvd reader/writer that would also leave room to separate the original dvd slot to create enough room for an SD card slot?

This all might sound crazy to everyone, and it sounds a little crazy to me as well, but I am having fun trying to figure out how to make this computer work a little bit better to extend its life long enough to get me through my undergraduate work and then grad school. Thanks for any help.

PerformaGuy

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
Hi,

1. I don't think a SSD would be worth the cost in this machine
2. It would have to connect to the USB port which is the tricky part.
3 & 4. Not sure. It's been awhile since I saw a mini disc!

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
1. Easiest will be PATA SSD, you can also put SATA 1.8" SSD with micro SATA do PATA adapter.
2. Not a big problem if you have soldering skills. Solder cable directly to USB port - like this: http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/103882/USB+for+external+storage+is+broken Bigger problem will be routing the cable :)
3. Easy. If you need superdrive... PATA 12,7 mm one, like this – example only will work.
4. Forget it. Too small space, there's no PATA slot loaded miniDVD drive (correct me if I'm wrong), and at last – if first two is not enough, you'd need to sacrifice second usb port to connect card reader.

In general: if you've disassembled iBook before, 1-3 are quite easy to do. If not, it will be PITA.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
4. Forget it. Too small space, there's no PATA slot loaded miniDVD drive (correct me if I'm wrong), and at last – if first two is not enough, you'd need to sacrifice second usb port to connect card reader.

While not suitable for laptops, the Nintendo Wii's slot loading drive can accept and read GameCube mini-discs.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
While not suitable for laptops, the Nintendo Wii's slot loading drive can accept and read GameCube mini-discs.

PS 3 one does it too, but OP has miniDVD drive on their mind, to get some space for card reader. Not full size slot loading drive. At least this I've understood.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
2. I would like to install a wireless N adapter inside the computer. My idea is to remove the modem and the current airport card and put the adapter where those two would be. Does anyone think this could work?

When my AP Extreme started causing kernel panics, I disabled it by first replacing its kext with phantom kexts, then used a Realtek WiFi dongle I got for five bucks on eBay. Works like a charm. At that price, I bought two in the event anything happens to dongle #1.

Good luck.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
1. Easiest will be PATA SSD, you can also put SATA 1.8" SSD with micro SATA do PATA adapter.
2. Not a big problem if you have soldering skills. Solder cable directly to USB port - like this: http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/103882/USB+for+external+storage+is+broken Bigger problem will be routing the cable :)
3. Easy. If you need superdrive... PATA 12,7 mm one, like this – example only will work.

In general: if you've disassembled iBook before, 1-3 are quite easy to do. If not, it will be PITA.

I don't have soldering skills, but I think I could figure it out. And I have not been able to find a miniDVD drive anywhere and so I don't think it exists. Vmedia had micro ODD that they were working on and trying to bring to netbooks and tablets, but they were purchased by a defense contractor and also usb sticks and flash drives are more reliable and don't require additional hardware.

And I was hoping to route the cable through the same slot that the existing airport card uses because I will no longer be using it for that purpose.

PS 3 one does it too, but OP has miniDVD drive on their mind, to get some space for card reader. Not full size slot loading drive. At least this I've understood.

I do have a miniDVD drive in mind, but I don't think one exists. I was even looking at the camcorders to see if I could work something out, but I know I don't have the skills to either modify or manufacture a miniDVD slot-loading drive.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Sheep meant to type insulation. The stuff on wires that protects it against electrical shorts. You'll strip it off of the wires.

Last edited:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Sorry, it should be "insulation". Strip this thick one to leave only thin wires (which have their own insulation).

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Sorry, it should be "insulation". Strip this thick one to leave only thin wires (which have their own insulation).

The problem here seems to be that isolation and insulation are the same word where I am originally from(Dutch) and this might also be the same in Poland.

I once had a caddy inside instead of the ODD, this one was for a SATA disk to be mounted inside and had a PATA connector, worked if I booted of it but if I booted from the normal HDD and try to move things from HDD to the SATA HDD and visa versa things got messed up, lost files, corrupted files so I removed it again.
SATA TO PATA was unreliable, maybe just cheap chinese ****

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011

Oh, ok. Or would anyone here recommend that I just remove the ODD and put a media card reader in that nice open space and remove little gray bezel-like piece around the opening so that I can put in a usb hub as well?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
The problem here seems to be that isolation and insulation are the same word where I am originally from(Dutch) and this might also be the same in Poland.

In Polish it's exactly that same as in Dutch. Meaning varies depending on usage.

Oh, ok. Or would anyone here recommend that I just remove the ODD and put a media card reader in that nice open space and remove little gray bezel-like piece around the opening so that I can put in a usb hub as well?

After removing this gray thing space will be still too narrow for USB plug I think. Some dremel job will be needed to make it wide enough. USB hub without enclosure should fit in ODD space. Ofc if it will be port powered one.

Last edited:

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
In Polish it's exactly that same as in Dutch. Meaning varies depending on usage.

After removing this gray thing space will be still too narrow for USB plug I think. Some dremel job will be needed to make it wide enough. USB hub without enclosure should fit in ODD space. Ofc if it will be port powered one.

The thing is that I am trying to save money and energy with this iBook and right now the battery gets me maybe 1.5 - 2 hours on a full charge. I wouldn't even care if I found a usb 1.1 hub that I could use for an SD card and other peripherals that don't necessarily require high speed. Does usb 2.0 require more power than 1.1 or is it negligible?

AND today I just realized how I could save money in regards to installing MAC OS X Leopard back onto the iBook. I previously cloned the HDD from my G5 iMac and simply restored the clone to the HDD in the iBook and now I have Leopard again. I don't know what the computer shop in my area did that was wrong, but when I had Leopard on it originally, it lagged like crazy and 1.5GB of RAM wasn't enough. Now it's incredibly stable and the enhancement to memory allocation is quite obvious and I don't have o use the "purge" command at all. And even though the OS X disc from my iMac didn't work to install the OS, it did work to install the applications and the developer tools.

So now I have the proper OS to make the wireless-n adapter work. Now I just need money.

juliancz37

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Ssd!

I would look up ibook g4 compatible ssds. I found a website that sells powerpc ssds. Click here to visit it. If that one does not help click here for the other link. I have a iBook and I am also thinking about upgrading the hd. Hope This Helped!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.