PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing my system

octoberdeath
Aug 24, 2005, 12:04 AM
I need some guidance. I am new to Mac and am trying to learn how to use the Final Cut Pro 5 suite. The thing right now that I need help with is optimizing my system so that it runs faster. Just the other day I was using Motion and I checked out how much RAM I was using and I was only using 456Mb out of a 1Gb of RAM! I didnít understand why. And then just before writing this while Iím not really doing anything but surf the web a little and it says I am using 585Mb and that 300Mb are inactive, 23MB are free, and 115Mb are wired. How do I get my computer to use the entire RAM when it should?

Mydriasis
Aug 24, 2005, 01:51 AM
I don't really pay that much attention to my RAM load... but trust me Motion uses a lot, it also uses a buch of video RAM so if you want it to be faster, get a better graphic card. If your loop sequence is a little longer and complicated motion will use as much RAM as it can get. Don't worry about Motion not using free RAM, instead think about how to pay for more RAM.

Have fun :)

mad jew
Aug 24, 2005, 03:32 AM
I think the key is to just not worry about how OSX uses RAM. It's a very complicated process that I don't think anyone fully understands other than the fact that the end product is an OS that can multitask extremely well. :)