PDA

View Full Version : First Look at Rovio's 'Bad Piggies', Launching Thursday

MacRumors
Sep 26, 2012, 04:31 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/26/first-look-at-rovios-bad-piggies-launching-thursday/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/09/NewImage44.png

Our sister site TouchArcade got an early peek (http://toucharcade.com/2012/09/26/ta-plays-bad-piggies-rovios-pigs-strike-back/) at Bad Piggies, the contraption-focused addition to the Angry Birds-universe. The game has the Pigs building grand contraptions to steal eggs away from the birds.

The game will arrive sometime tomorrow for the iPhone, iPad and Mac. Historically, Rovio has released games at midnight Pacific time.
We start things out with the first level, which shows the very basic gist of the game then immediately jump in to some more challenging levels later in the game before utterly failing at the star-gathering sandbox mode. So far, I like it a lot. It takes the Angry Birds franchise in a direction I'm not sure anyone was expecting with a really clever spin on the "contraption building" genre.A_uGoYJ4zvQ

Article Link: First Look at Rovio's 'Bad Piggies', Launching Thursday (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/26/first-look-at-rovios-bad-piggies-launching-thursday/)

lwapps
Sep 26, 2012, 04:39 PM
They should have called it Angry Pigs

chris.robison
Sep 26, 2012, 04:40 PM
Perhaps they should delay it to make it fit the iPhone 5 screen.

Sheza
Sep 26, 2012, 04:42 PM
Indeed, is it iPhone 5 compatible?

chris.robison
Sep 26, 2012, 04:44 PM

I'm sure it plays on 5 just fine, but if it supports the new screen size, they chose not to show it with this video.

needfx
Sep 26, 2012, 05:04 PM

oink

Yamcha
Sep 26, 2012, 05:07 PM
Honestly I hate Angry Birds, I've tried playing it many times, just couldn't get into it.. This looks like it might be better..

Dagless
Sep 26, 2012, 05:20 PM
Honestly I hate Angry Birds, I've tried playing it many times, just couldn't get into it.. This looks like it might be better..

Totally the opposite of me. I don't much like mobile games but Angry Birds is what I enjoyed the most. This one looks awfully clumsy to me. I won't be getting it.

brettizzle
Sep 26, 2012, 05:39 PM
Looks entertaining. I'm just glad they put a different twist on it and having the player create ways to move the pig.

iWe
Sep 26, 2012, 05:52 PM
Looks great. Interesting to see if it's going to be another smash hit for Rovio.

GenesisJLS
Sep 26, 2012, 06:35 PM
I don't understand what's the infatuation with these games. I always thought the best independent application released for the iPhone was smule (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ocarina/id293053479?mt=8) (the ocarina app).

Lukeyy19
Sep 26, 2012, 06:46 PM
I'm sure it plays on 5 just fine, but if it supports the new screen size, they chose not to show it with this video.

Well they were playing the iPad version.

Blinny83
Sep 26, 2012, 07:40 PM
Must be a slow day in the rumor mill...

singhjeet29
Sep 26, 2012, 08:26 PM

I remember one of the first videos they showed for this game, showed a 16:9 ratio video, so I believe it should be fine on the iPhone 5. I can't remember where I saw that video though.

SumoHamster
Sep 26, 2012, 08:31 PM
Looks interesting. I usually love Angry Birds games, but often don't get around to finishing them.. so I'll probably pass on this even though it's a bit different.

SandboxGeneral
Sep 26, 2012, 08:36 PM
Looks interesting. I usually love Angry Birds games, but often don't get around to finishing them.. so I'll probably pass on this even though it's a bit different.

I end up doing the same thing on Angry Birds... never end up finishing them. But I'll probably buy this one too and not finish it as well. :p

SumoHamster
Sep 26, 2012, 08:37 PM
I end up doing the same thing on Angry Birds... never end up finishing them. But I'll probably buy this one too and not finish it as well. :p

I suspect I will as well.. since it'll only be a buck or two (I imagine). :o

chris.robison
Sep 26, 2012, 08:50 PM
Well they were playing the iPad version.

Well then, this changes everything. I'll buy it if its full screen on iPhone 5.

bennyboy34
Sep 26, 2012, 10:30 PM
They should have called it Angry Pigs

No, they shouldn't have.

boshii
Sep 26, 2012, 10:38 PM
I remember one of the first videos they showed for this game, showed a 16:9 ratio video, so I believe it should be fine on the iPhone 5. I can't remember where I saw that video though.

This is it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsCpDaSooWA)

Releasing the app without iPhone 5 support would be a huge oversight. Rovio is smarter than that.

rwilliams
Sep 26, 2012, 10:38 PM
I bet they'll release both this and an update for Angry Birds to fit the screen of the iPhone 5.

chris.robison
Sep 27, 2012, 02:21 AM
It's out. I got it and its not iPhone 5 screen ready. :(

iChrist
Sep 27, 2012, 02:29 AM
It's out. I got it and its not iPhone 5 screen ready. :(

Thanks macrumors for advertising another subpar app on the FRONT PAGE. How much did they pay you? It's not even an iPhone exclusive game.

Adidas Addict
Sep 27, 2012, 02:35 AM
Looks a bit meh.

Shasta McNasty
Sep 27, 2012, 02:54 AM
How can they have not released it iPhone 5 ready? Makes no sense at all.

Manderby
Sep 27, 2012, 03:16 AM
These physics-inspired games...

It's getting old.

Actually, has been dated for some years already.

BillyBobBongo
Sep 27, 2012, 04:03 AM
Who was actually playing that game?! I can't believe it took them sooooo long to realise to go over the top.

verniesgarden
Sep 27, 2012, 04:38 AM

It's getting old.

I'd rather enjoy these games though, I love the practical problem solving aspect.

carmenodie
Sep 27, 2012, 05:42 AM
Engineering schools will be using this to help thier students. MIT, Cal Tech, UC Berkley....COUGH COUGH!

Manderby
Sep 27, 2012, 07:01 AM
I'd rather enjoy these games though, I love the practical problem solving aspect.
I agree, they can be enjoyable if done well. But basically, these games are all the same. There are a few exceptions which bring something new but this game here looks plain average, or even worse: It looks very slow and boring.

My point is: It's just getting old.

slu
Sep 27, 2012, 07:19 AM
How does Rovio get to know and/or dictate when their apps will be released?

BillyBobBongo
Sep 27, 2012, 07:42 AM
How does Rovio get to know and/or dictate when their apps will be released?

You submit the App to the App Store, long before you want to release it. It gets approved...you turn it on when you want to.

slu
Sep 27, 2012, 08:22 AM
You submit the App to the App Store, long before you want to release it. It gets approved...you turn it on when you want to.

I did not know that. Thanks.

PantherCreek
Sep 27, 2012, 08:27 AM
Thanks macrumors for advertising another subpar app on the FRONT PAGE. How much did they pay you? It's not even an iPhone exclusive game.

...pretty sure this was posted in the iOS blog and not the front page.

With as big as a hit the other titles from Rovio were I think it's safe to assume that a good amount of people would be interested in this story.

BillyBobBongo
Sep 27, 2012, 08:37 AM
I did not know that. Thanks.

No worries. The exact time of day it goes live can however vary.

At what time will my app go live?

Your app will be available worldwide no later than midnight eastern time (ET) on the Availability Date you have set on iTunes Connect.

budselectjr
Sep 27, 2012, 08:47 AM
it's in the store. 40.9mb's for iPhone

Sadly is not optimized for iPhone 5 though.

cambookpro
Sep 27, 2012, 09:59 AM
it's in the store. 40.9mb's for iPhone

Sadly is not optimized for iPhone 5 though.

:(

Was hoping it would be. Haven't got any iP5 games that use the full screen yet.

bushido
Sep 27, 2012, 10:04 AM
i dont understand that game ??? :confused:

Mal
Sep 27, 2012, 10:12 AM

It's getting old.

Nope. How can real life become outdated? Every game is working on being more realistic, and while these games aren't aiming for realistic graphics, the realistic movement (physics-based) is the direction that all gaming is moving.

jW

Lukeyy19
Sep 27, 2012, 10:13 AM
:(

Was hoping it would be. Haven't got any iP5 games that use the full screen yet.

Infinity Blade II, Minecraft, Asphalt 7, Horn, Jetpack Joyride, Blast-A-Way, Sky Gamblers and Temple Run are all updated I believe

charlituna
Sep 27, 2012, 10:38 AM
Looks great. Interesting to see if it's going to be another smash hit for Rovio.

Yep. And then just like with Angry Birds they will release more levels but instead of doing it as levels they will release them as new games so we'll have Bad Piggies Seasons, Bad Piggies in Space etc.

macachia
Sep 27, 2012, 10:55 AM
Rovio/Bad piggies account on twitter replied to my tweet and stated that they are working hard on iphone 5 resolution (even angry birds) as they didn't have enough time to include such a new ''feature''

While I applaud their work, I find it silly how
1) they weren't included int he preview some big companies had with a prerelease iphone 5
2) shows their apps have to be rebuilt with new game textures (backgrounds and whatnot) to fit the screen and not simply a resize as other apps have done.

baryon
Sep 27, 2012, 11:09 AM
Looks great, but why is it not compatible with iPod Touch 2G?? Why is nothing compatible with the 2G dammit!

jontech
Sep 27, 2012, 11:49 AM
Cute game

for time on the toilet

ryanmcv
Sep 27, 2012, 12:20 PM
This is a fun game, but I can't believe they pushed it through without support for the iPhone 5 screen. Hopefully there will be an update soon.

JAT
Sep 27, 2012, 12:59 PM
Yep. And then just like with Angry Birds they will release more levels but instead of doing it as levels they will release them as new games so we'll have Bad Piggies Seasons, Bad Piggies in Space etc.
I've got no complaints. There are plenty of levels in each game. Seasons, esp. Very good value compared to some.

Ok, one. The Space cost/level addition is different on iOS and Android, in bizarre fashion. Seems silly.

JAT
Sep 27, 2012, 01:21 PM
Looks great, but why is it not compatible with iPod Touch 2G?? Why is nothing compatible with the 2G dammit!

But Maps works on it.

csHokie
Sep 27, 2012, 06:27 PM

Probably because most devs are using OpenGL ES2.0, GLKit (which requires OGLES2), or some other new framework that isn't supported on the older devices.

verniesgarden
Sep 28, 2012, 12:19 AM
I agree, they can be enjoyable if done well. But basically, these games are all the same. There are a few exceptions which bring something new but this game here looks plain average, or even worse: It looks very slow and boring.

My point is: It's just getting old.

It's actually rather well done, they did a great job of the focus on the solution not the gimmick

Macrolido
Sep 28, 2012, 01:03 PM
Looks more complex than Angry Birds.

baryon
Sep 28, 2012, 01:16 PM
But Maps works on it.

lol, well at least that :D

zurichuk
Sep 29, 2012, 02:15 AM
My 5 and 6 year olds absolutely love this game. They spend most of the time deliberately making bad transport tdesigns though for a laugh.