Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
I'm wondering when we might see a desktop companion to Maps, either a web page or a free standing app? Those corrections that Apple so desperately needs would be a lot easier to make on a desktop or at least a 15" screen. I know I made some corrections to Google maps near an area where I used to live and it would have been tough or impossible to draw out with my fingertip.

Before my corrections, directions to my home were by way of a dead end street. I had to draw fairly precise lines for them where the street actually ended. After the map correction was made the directions changed along with the map.

If Apple is serious about user corrections, I think they will need desktop input.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I bet you 10.9 will have a Maps app. Apple is bent on integrating iOS and OS X (Messages, Reminders, Notes apps; Notification Center). Either there will be a standalone Maps app in 10.9, or Apple's maps will be integrated into apps like iPhoto, Contacts, etc.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
good point

Not sure if the OP meant this, but I think it needs to be web based so ANYONE can access it
I hadn't thought of it that way but there are still a lot of people out there with Windows PC's and iPhones. You are correct.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I hadn't thought of it that way but there are still a lot of people out there with Windows PC's and iPhones. You are correct.

Standalone Apple Maps can be released to Windows too, like iTunes or QuickTime.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.