Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
So we all know about Apple's sneaky authentication chips inside the lightning cables preventing third party manufacturers from making their own version. But do you think in the future we will see them? Or do you think Apple made the chips in some way that makes it impossible to duplicate?

I've bought several 30-pin connector cables from eBay for my iPhone 4 for like a dollar each. Looks exactly the same and works perfectly fine with all Apple products (before iPhone 5) and personally, I'm hoping I can do the same with these lightning cables eventually lol

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So we all know about Apple's sneaky authentication chips inside the lightning cables preventing third party manufacturers from making their own version...

The chip also dynamicaly reasigns the pins so the plug is reversible. Are you really going to trust that a $1 cable will safely do that?

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
So we all know about Apple's sneaky authentication chips inside the lightning cables preventing third party manufacturers from making their own version. But do you think in the future we will see them? Or do you think Apple made the chips in some way that makes it impossible to duplicate?

I've bought several 30-pin connector cables from eBay for my iPhone 4 for like a dollar each. Looks exactly the same and works perfectly fine with all Apple products (before iPhone 5) and personally, I'm hoping I can do the same with these lightning cables eventually lol

For now I would NOT mess around. I know its easy to save money now and get the cable from ebay etc., but given the retail price of $19.99 for this cable at Apple and the $13-$15 price on ebay is not worth the hassle. I personally love the longer 6ft cable, but i will wait until it comes out and just stick with an extra 3 footer for the time being.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
That $1 cable may end up costing you hundreds, I say just buy the authorized version.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
There will be knockoffs. Just not as quickly as before. Apple still has their "Made for iPod/iPhone" program. 3rd parties like Griffen, Belkin etc will be a part of that and have charging cords, cradles, car mounts, clock radios & more.

Once the Made for iPod partners get the official specs, someone will leak them to the Chinese cloners and we will get cheap eBay cables. Although having to put a chip in each one will affect the price a bit.

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
For now I would NOT mess around. I know its easy to save money now and get the cable from ebay etc., but given the retail price of $19.99 for this cable at Apple and the $13-$15 price on ebay is not worth the hassle. I personally love the longer 6ft cable, but i will wait until it comes out and just stick with an extra 3 footer for the time being.

DING! The 6ft cable is my main reason as well. Had one for my iPhone 4, and loved it. Although I suppose another solution would be to buy a USB extension from amazon or something and use it with the short lightning cable. Anyone tried this? Any good extension cable recommendations?

Juicy D. Links

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
DING! The 6ft cable is my main reason as well. Had one for my iPhone 4, and loved it. Although I suppose another solution would be to buy a USB extension from amazon or something and use it with the short lightning cable. Anyone tried this? Any good extension cable recommendations?

That is a great idea man..... I am gonna check some out now :D

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA

I'm using an extension cable right now works great. It's just a generic one I got with some product a long time ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.