Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

to1986

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
I saw this feature advertised when iOS 6 was first introduced, where you get a popup if a faster route is found.

I have never seen this popup in the UK despite traffic being on my routes, and faster routes definitely being available. Is this a US only feature? Or is there something I need to do to activate it?

RTWG

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
I think there are a couple of issues:

1) Waze, and other crowd-sourcing traffic services are as popular over here as they are in the US. Hopefully that'll change soon.

2) I think it will only offer you a new route if there is a substantial (i.e. ten minutes or more) saving in time.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It does pop up. I live near the dartford bridge so traffic is crap during rush hour or if a toll booth operator takes to long going for a dump! Apple maps takes the traffic into consideration but as above the difference needs to be +10 minutes or so. It is getting better daily too.

to1986

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Well I am glad it does work in the UK, but I have yet to see it myself. I suppose there have not been substantial enough time savings for it to offer another re route. 10 mins is fairly significant, so I suppose I won't see it that often. Hopefully it improves over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.