Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Here's my situation. I've got a lot of movies on my PowerMac G5. I'd like to be able to use my iBook to watch those movies on my TV using my TV out adapter. My plan was to connect to my PMG5 via AFP and stream the movies from it in VLC. The problem is, the campus network is only 10 mbit (pretty pathetic, I know). That's really not fast enough, as the movies constantly skip and are unwatchable. And it takes way too long to download the movies to my hard drive, plus, hard drive space on my iBook is running low. Also, running my own 100mbit router is not feasible because these are in 2 seperate rooms. Are there any workarounds I can do? Increase a buffer in VLC or something? Or am I pretty much stuck? Thanks.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The buffer thing probably won't work since the files are so large anyway. You may as well just download them on the iBook in the first place.

You might not be keen, but can I recommend getting an AirPort Express and just using the 54Mbps speed to stream the videos. They're good investments but this is all assuming you have an AirPort Extreme card in your iBook in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.