Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themainevent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2011
Is there currently a way, other than a tethered jailbreak, to unlock an iPhone 3GS for use with another carrier that has iOS 6 installed? I dont need a full jailbreak, just an unlock so it can be used with a T-Mobile SIM card. I also dont have any blobs because I got lucky and managed to restore the phone from a bricked state.

I apologize if this question has already been asked, but I didn't see it when I searched. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
I'd purchase an unlock from ebay. Last I looked they were &8-12 dollars and took about 48 hours.

themainevent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2011
I thought the phone had to be purchased through an AT&T retailer and would be unlocked on the spot?

I wasn't aware you could take an old iPhone to have it unlocked there? Am I wrong?

----------

I'd purchase an unlock from ebay. Last I looked they were &8-12 dollars and took about 48 hours.

Have any success with these? Will this unlock the phone for use with iOS 6 or do they downgrade to 5 to unlock?

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
It's an apple database unlock. The person that sold me my new phone did it. I checked apples info and it is now factory unlocked. I would look for a well known seller. Maybe someone here knows of one?

Mylo130

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
I just unlocked a 3GS through an ebay seller. Looked for one with several reviews, and obviously, a high rating. Took a little less than 15 hours for the confirmation e-mail to arrive.

themainevent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2011
So the person that does this has hacked the apple database and has the unlock codes for all iPhones?

Also, how we're you able to check apples database to confirm it was now unlocked?

Mylo130

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
Can't speak to the hacking aspect, but I put in a T-Mobile Sim, did the restore from iTunes, and got the message congratulating me that my phone is now unlocked. Works just fine...some tinkering to get MMS to work, and it is Edge only until T-Mobile finishes refarming its towers.

STC

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
I thought the phone had to be purchased through an AT&T retailer and would be unlocked on the spot?

I wasn't aware you could take an old iPhone to have it unlocked there? Am I wrong?

----------

Have any success with these? Will this unlock the phone for use with iOS 6 or do they downgrade to 5 to unlock?

Maybe I'm mistaken and misunderstood the OP's question, but I thought all US 3GS phones had to be on AT&T at one point (unless it was bought unlocked from Apple then this question wouldn't have been asked).

From my understanding and I have unlocked 2 out of contract 3GSs through AT&T, they ask if the the phone was "current", "previous", and "non customer".

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
So the person that does this has hacked the apple database and has the unlock codes for all iPhones?

Also, how we're you able to check apples database to confirm it was now unlocked?

Probably it's people who work at a carrier and have access to the system and run them through to make some money on the side not someone actually hacking in.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
There are several unlock services. If it's an AT&T iPhone, then you can get an unlock for $0-$40.

I paid $17 to unlock my iPhone 4S. AT&T unlocked my iPhone 3GS for free. Many people have unlocked their iPhone for just $8.99 (eBay) - even those with a new iPhone 5!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.