Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommy060289

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Hey everyone,

I've got a 3TB Western Digital NAS drive coming and I plan to partition it so 2TB is used for time machine and the other TB will act as a media server so I can put music, videos, etc on it.

I have a substantial iTunes library (20+ GB) and was wondering if there is anyway to make it so the folder automatically syncs to the NAS drive so when I add a new song on iTunes, it automatically goes on the NAS, this could be on an 'as music is added' basis or at set intervals, like update once a week.

One possibility I've thought of doing is using automator but I'm not familiar with it. How could I use this?

Also, I dont want to move my itunes media file to the NAS as I want the original on my iMac.

any suggestions?

Cheers,

Tom

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Hey everyone,

I've got a 3TB Western Digital NAS drive coming and I plan to partition it so 2TB is used for time machine and the other TB will act as a media server so I can put music, videos, etc on it.

I have a substantial iTunes library (20+ GB) and was wondering if there is anyway to make it so the folder automatically syncs to the NAS drive so when I add a new song on iTunes, it automatically goes on the NAS, this could be on an 'as music is added' basis or at set intervals, like update once a week.

One possibility I've thought of doing is using automator but I'm not familiar with it. How could I use this?

Also, I dont want to move my itunes media file to the NAS as I want the original on my iMac.

any suggestions?

Cheers,

Tom

I have not actually done this myself, but RSYNC sounds like it would be the way to go. I was looking at this when I was running FreeNAS, but like I said, I never implemented it.

Check out the following:

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Rsync_Tasks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.