PDA

View Full Version : Both Lasers and Water are Damaging to the iPhone 5

MacRumors
Sep 28, 2012, 01:41 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/28/both-lasers-and-water-are-damaging-to-the-iphone-5/)

A pair of fun videos have shown what not to do to an iPhone 5. The first, from Android Authority (http://www.androidauthority.com/iphone-5-torture-test-118634/) (via Cult of Mac (http://www.cultofmac.com/193376/it-takes-a-lot-of-water-to-kill-an-iphone-5-video/)), shows the iPhone 5 going through several torture tests, including spilled coffee and being fully submerged in water. It fared well in the first, but less so in the second.

rsWHkqRnfoc
The second test, from Wicked Lasers (via TechCrunch (http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/27/pew-pew-pew-iphone-5-destroyed-by-lasers-video/)), shows 6 watts of lasers aimed at the iPhone 5's screen; with unfortunate results:

i221tdgO3r8

Article Link: Both Lasers and Water are Damaging to the iPhone 5 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/28/both-lasers-and-water-are-damaging-to-the-iphone-5/)

Caliber26
Sep 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
In unrelated news, a hammer to the head will also cause cranial fracture.

Sep 28, 2012, 01:45 PM
Wow. I understand why water would be damaging to an iPhone, what I didn't know was that lasers where damaging too. I mean if you are going to the extremes of pointing concentrated laser beam, any devices would break.

Talk about stress testing.

nick_elt
Sep 28, 2012, 01:46 PM
How does it go against sharks with friggen laser beams?

riley41090
I also heard that bears like to defecate in wooded areas

afurry13
DEVELOPING STORY: Water is wet and the sky is blue.

keysofanxiety
http://static1.fjcdn.com/comments/this+is+the+quot+you+don+t+say+quot+face+_d3d47eea8a14bd3a870bef4ef7e56686.jpg

playsontheleft
I'm not sure what worries me more - the amount of pleasure that this guy gets out of, uh, "torturing" an iPhone or the fact that it is apparently news that water can indeed ruin an electronic device.

thasan
Sep 28, 2012, 01:47 PM
6 W? are they stupid?? how does that represent a typical accident in a consumer world :confused::confused:
they should focus that on their eyes so that their brains get cooked! ;)

bb426
Sep 28, 2012, 01:50 PM
Some of the things that happen when you have more money than you need.

Lasers are interesting, though.

Anikek
Sep 28, 2012, 01:51 PM
Lol, I can't even get my iPhone 5 that I pre-ordered and these guys are destroying theirs!

GoCubsGo
Sep 28, 2012, 01:51 PM
In unrelated news, a hammer to the head will also cause cranial fracture.
Absolute lie. It's not written in this blog so it's untrue.

Fact: A laser is also harmful to the Samsung Galaxy.

blizaine
Sep 28, 2012, 01:53 PM
Now that they've already broken it, they should see if it's bullet proof. It would be nice to know that if I had iPhone5 in my pocket and some gangsta shot me in my pocket, I wouldn't die.

arn
Sep 28, 2012, 01:54 PM
Now that they've already broken it, they should see if it's bullet proof. It would be nice to know that if I had iPhone5 in my pocket and some gangsta shot me in my pocket, I wouldn't die.

done.

bqWrPq4649k

iParis
Sep 28, 2012, 01:55 PM
While this is kind of a no brainer, it's cool to see how it held up. If you look the screen was actually still turning on after the lasers had their way with it. I think they could have given the iPhone more of a chance with the water, especially if they waited longer. This is really good considering most iPhone's are submerged for less than 15 seconds and when the owner takes the phone out of the water they're more likely to turn it off right away than see if it still works. : P

Absolute lie. It's not written in this blog so it's untrue.

Fact: A laser is also more harmful to the Samsung Galaxy.

:)

I'm also sure it wouldn't handle being in water as well.

madsci954
Sep 28, 2012, 01:57 PM
ERMERGERD! Nert werter ernd lersers!!

monoskier
Sep 28, 2012, 01:58 PM
Slow news day?

perealb
Sep 28, 2012, 02:02 PM
Lol

Sep 28, 2012, 02:12 PM
done.

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=bqWrPq4649k)

That is a bebe gun, it ain't a 9mn handgun or even a desert eagle.

KdParker
Sep 28, 2012, 02:21 PM
lasers.....is this a problem with iPhone users?

JasonElise1983
Sep 28, 2012, 02:21 PM

it's not a bebe gun either. It's a Taurus Judge with a 4/10 shotgun shell in it.

Beezzy
Sep 28, 2012, 02:22 PM
This just in! Duh!

MioPomo
Sep 28, 2012, 02:31 PM
Really does not make me want to buy their flashlight. I can't be the only one who will temporarily put a flashlight that is turned on face down on a table, why would I want something that would set said table on fire!? Heat in lighting = inefficiency, that thing much eat batteries in addition to being a fire hazard.

TimTheEnchanter
Sep 28, 2012, 02:34 PM

Only when a sniper's laser-sight moves across your iPhone to your forehead.

likemyorbs
Sep 28, 2012, 02:37 PM
I'm just curious as to who wasted an upgrade with their mobile carrier to buy an iphone to destroy.

Sep 28, 2012, 02:38 PM
Only when a sniper's laser-sight moves across your iPhone to your forehead.

Honestly, I don't think sniper scopes makes a red dot on your head anyways. I think it is just Hollywood speculation. I think most "real" snipers use optical sights instead of red dot, even if it shows up a dot, I think these days green is the cool color.

In that case, I don't think a bullet proof vest, let alone an iPhone would stop it. That is assuming that the sniper would shoot.

zorinlynx
Sep 28, 2012, 02:39 PM
I'm not one to have sympathy for electronic devices, but... isn't this a colossal waste of money that can be put towards better endeavors?

I'd sooner donate $650 to charity than buy something expensive and trash it.

Kissaragi
Sep 28, 2012, 02:47 PM
damn! i used to laser my 4s all the time! will have to stop now :(

Dragonforce
Sep 28, 2012, 02:51 PM

Is a .50 rifle more appropriate?

YouTube: video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG6Qx127xgs)

rmatthewware
Sep 28, 2012, 02:51 PM
File this under "No shiat, Sherlock".

/Still waiting for the "Will it Blend" link.

jmsait19
Sep 28, 2012, 02:59 PM
They're just upset that the iPhone beat the GS3 in the drop tests...

xodiak
Sep 28, 2012, 03:01 PM
Is there a site that I can enter for these people to send me the iPhone before the destroy it like a retard? I bet you it holds up against a chainsaw with no problems :rolleyes: I guess apple has to put idiot warnings on their products now staiting excessing key scratching, shooting, chainsawing, use underwater, hammering and etc will damage the product. A side note I really wish there was a section on MacRumors for CRAP and they would stop putting these videos as links or articles on the main page. Just put a crap button next to Buyer's Guide and post this stuff there. I want to know if the people doing these "TESTS" honestly expected anything else.

iMikeT
Sep 28, 2012, 03:03 PM
Awesome! Totally awesome!

Sokratesagogo
Sep 28, 2012, 03:04 PM
It's the rich kid version of burning ants with a magnifying glass. Recession, what recession?

SoGood
Sep 28, 2012, 03:04 PM
Pathetically wasteful people in society with zero gained apart from web traffic gains for their personal financial benefits.

TimTheEnchanter
Sep 28, 2012, 03:12 PM
Honestly, I don't think sniper scopes makes a red dot on your head anyways. I think it is just Hollywood speculation. I think most "real" snipers use optical sights instead of red dot, even if it shows up a dot, I think these days green is the cool color.

In that case, I don't think a bullet proof vest, let alone an iPhone would stop it. That is assuming that the sniper would shoot.

Seriously? You have to be the life of any party! That's pure gold!

It kills me that some on this site feel the need to technically correct meaningless details in a funny or sarcastic remark. For the love of Sam Kinison, it's humor!

Besides, I was talking about the fricken sharks with laser beams.

sazivad
Sep 28, 2012, 03:17 PM
I'm just curious as to who wasted an upgrade with their mobile carrier to buy an iphone to destroy.
Either that, or they bought it unlocked. Which would cost them, at minimum, $649 (http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/13/iphone-5-unlocked-u-s-pricing-649-16gb-749-32gb-and-849-64gb/).

:eek:

needfx
Sep 28, 2012, 03:21 PM
done.

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=bqWrPq4649k)

Losing my helmet against Cerebro is a priority. I can handle bullets.

Magneto

Luanna5515
Sep 28, 2012, 03:39 PM

iHateMacs
Sep 28, 2012, 03:47 PM
I am interested in buying an iPhone5 but I am worried how it would survive being inserted into a horses rectum.

Has this been tested yet?

Pakaku
Sep 28, 2012, 04:14 PM

Samsung has gone too far!

jrhudson
Sep 28, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hmmm. Such a random test. Ha i think he was bored and wanted to actually destroy the iphone 5

jonnysods
Sep 28, 2012, 04:37 PM
This is crap. Lasers would never have destroyed iPhone 5's if Steve was still alive.

Apple is doomed.

Safari isn't as snappy.

I'm leaving Apple etc.

----------

pathetically wasteful people in society with zero gained apart from web traffic gains for their personal financial benefits.

y

turtlez
Sep 28, 2012, 04:44 PM
iPhone can't survive being smashed to bits? I am going samsung all the way baby!!! That this is the Hilux of phones!!! this is pathetic tests and shame on Macrumors for even advertising to gain these idiots more exposure.

----------

I am interested in buying an iPhone5 but I am worried how it would survive being inserted into a horses rectum.

Has this been tested yet?

I also want to know. Do you know if the S3 has survived the horses rectum because if the iPhone doesn't survive it I will go with S3. Can't risk my phone breaking when I reach into a horses ass each day

curmudgeon32
Sep 28, 2012, 05:19 PM
Susceptible to lasers and water? I guess I'll find a different phone to use while fighting sharks.

mrxak
Sep 28, 2012, 05:27 PM
Some people have too much money.

Anyway, I can submerge my iPhone 4S (http://www.lifeproof.com/), and it's no problem. I don't think my case protects against an insane number of lasers all aimed at the same point, but then again, how would that even happen?

FieldingMellish
Sep 28, 2012, 06:03 PM
You think that's tough? Try just carrying the phone in your pocket. Amazing if it does not scuff and ding.

msheredy
Sep 28, 2012, 06:15 PM
File this video under the tag, "More money than brains."

SouthsideJohnny
Sep 28, 2012, 07:03 PM
Just wondering... I have seen dozens of things people have done with/to their new phones over the past week.

Has anyone used theirs to make an actual phone call?

oliversl
Sep 28, 2012, 07:09 PM
Nah, that day will be when someone fires high powered lasers to an ... wait a minute
Slow news day?

bketchum
Sep 28, 2012, 07:10 PM
Disappointing laser test results. Might require another letter from Cook.

Cavalier777
Sep 28, 2012, 08:22 PM

do you really think that snipers use visible lasers? SMDH

KdParker
Sep 28, 2012, 09:00 PM
note to self: avoid 5 laser pointing at phone and do not read iPhone under covers with torch light

:rolleyes:

macs4nw
Sep 28, 2012, 09:01 PM
They're just upset that the iPhone beat the GS3 in the drop tests...

Hmmm. Such a random test. Ha i think he was bored and wanted to actually destroy the iphone 5

Didn't know what to think about this 'ANDROID AUTHORITY' guy either. On the one hand he seemed to be full of praise for the iPhone5, even going as far as to say "the bar has been raised - ANDROID manufacturers are gonne have to create better quality devices from here on in, if they want to compete with the iPhone5", yet I too couldn't help but thinking that he wanted to 'destroy' this thing. Who would have thought?

Just have to remember to dodge all these stray laserbeams out there, next time I'm out with my iPhone5. ;)

On a side note, my niece dropped her iPod Touch in the lake last month. It was dead. She also immersed it in rice, and it did come back to life, but it took almost two weeks!

Moshe1010
Sep 28, 2012, 10:16 PM
But will it blend?

tech4all
Sep 28, 2012, 10:31 PM
DEVELOPING STORY: Water is wet and the sky is blue.

Not during a sunrise or sunset or at night when it's transparent ;)

iPadPublisher
Sep 28, 2012, 10:54 PM
That Android Authority guy annoys the **** out of me. Can he please get a script writer or something so he doesn't have to repeat himself over and over and over and over and over... and... wait...

xxgilxx
Sep 28, 2012, 11:00 PM
Sooooo, is it safe to deduct that a direct nuclear strike will damage the phone? Damn you Ahmadinejad! You got 1 up on me!!!

bretm
Sep 28, 2012, 11:51 PM
I'm not one to have sympathy for electronic devices, but... isn't this a colossal waste of money that can be put towards better endeavors?

Your $650 wouldn't contribute one iota to the economy or create one job. The destruction of this iPhone employed many people. Including the people that had to build the replacement. Viewers of the video contributed to the economy by clicking on ads and generating revenue streams.

Just because you're emotionally attached to a product, doesn't mean there isn't benefit to blowing the thing up. Hollywood makes money blowing up hordes of perfectly good cars every day.

----------

Pathetically wasteful people in society with zero gained apart from web traffic gains for their personal financial benefits.

Most of the money I earn is exclusively for my personal financial benefit.

----------

I see no proof that the water did any damage. I did see that someone forgot to plug it back in and charge the battery after leaving it on for 24 hours though.

The phone won't come on. Must be dead. OR THE BATTERY NEEDS TO BE CHAREGED!

My iPhone 1/2g was in my pocket when I jumped in the pool after my son that fell in. I grabbed him, then walked to the stairs to get out. Had to be more than 15 seconds. It stayed in my soaked jeans pocket for many minutes until I realized it was in there. i pulled it out and it was functioning, albeit with some weird errors. I turned it off and used the hair dryer on it and let it dry out. It still works to this day.

My son is ok too.

bernhart
Sep 29, 2012, 03:12 AM

So is buying a new iphone when your old one is still working fine. That doesn't seem to bother many people over here neither.

makitango
Sep 29, 2012, 05:17 AM
How does it go against sharks with friggen laser beams?

You mean this one?
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l6dnfivcvx1qai3fbo1_500.jpg

I8P'CS
Sep 29, 2012, 09:41 AM
These Android guys a very smart big up the iPhone knowing it will get views and Samsung and co will take notice and make their new devices on par or better than the iP5 due to these guys..

nick_elt
Sep 29, 2012, 10:17 AM
You mean this one?
Image (http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l6dnfivcvx1qai3fbo1_500.jpg)

From Austin Powers,
What else is Apple going to do with one BILLION dollars?

----------

Its a cheap way for companies to get site visits. If they donated the money it wouldnt make news now would it?

----------

Either that, or they bought it unlocked. Which would cost them, at minimum, $649 (http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/13/iphone-5-unlocked-u-s-pricing-649-16gb-749-32gb-and-849-64gb/).

:eek:
Which is pretty cheap advertising

mikefla
Sep 29, 2012, 11:14 AM
Now common sense says electronics and water don't mix. Doesn't really matter what it is or what brand. Useless test.

-Mike

Macthemaca
Sep 29, 2012, 11:32 AM
My God what level has Macrumors dropped to wasting space showing such idiocy.Must be really short of anything newsworthy
Be 'ave!!:(

Mal
Sep 29, 2012, 07:36 PM
My God what level has Macrumors dropped to wasting space showing such idiocy.Must be really short of anything newsworthy
Be 'ave!!:(

You're welcome to leave. Many of us enjoy seeing videos like this, and you don't have to watch them if you don't.

jW

mlmwalt
Sep 29, 2012, 10:14 PM
Zapping it with lasers is awesome!!!!! I'd like to see how it'd take being run over by a car.

the8thark
Sep 30, 2012, 04:11 AM
File this under "No shiat, Sherlock".

/Still waiting for the "Will it Blend" link.

Was a very slow news/rumour day here obviously.

----------

You're welcome to leave. Many of us enjoy seeing videos like this, and you don't have to watch them if you don't.

jW

He is right. Lots of trash posted on this site. And it is highly entertaining. In parts just like the onion. You watch it for the entertainment value and not to get any insight into anything.

mbhebsgaard
Sep 30, 2012, 04:38 AM
Have anyone done a hammer test - like how many times can you bash it with a big hammer... or can you drive over it with you car... or from how many meters will it survive a drop... or will it survive being eaten by a shark or a tiger which make most damage.

I suggest Apple did all these test before realeasing new products!!!

Also how many pints of beer can you spill into a Mac Pro would also be handy.. or can and average moms site on a macbook air...

If you plan a new test - you can just send the iPhone to me and I can do a real life test - like can you call, text surf etc...

mazz0
Sep 30, 2012, 10:32 AM
Is a .50 rifle more appropriate?

YouTube: video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG6Qx127xgs)

I find the existence of men like that quite concerning.

OrangeSVTguy
Sep 30, 2012, 10:32 AM

Click on the similar video when they shot a .50 cal into the iPhone 5.

ritmomundo
Sep 30, 2012, 11:56 AM
"Android manufacturers are going to have to create better quality devices if they want to compete with the iPhone 5." - from the end of the first video.

Uh no. Other way around. I don't think the iPhone 5 is the most durable smartphone. I have to admit, I was disappointed to see that the iPhone died after getting wet. I just switched over from the Droid Razr Maxx, which had some sort of hydrophobic waterproof coating (video link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLz-AB7tTb8). I liked not having to worry about using my phone in the rain, or not having to put it in a plastic bag at the beach, down by the pool, or on a water ride at Six Flags.

lwapps
Sep 30, 2012, 04:48 PM
Disappointing laser test results. Might require another letter from Cook.
I was really hoping the the new 5 would be LASER resistant. That was something that was missing from the 4S and all new phones should have as standard really.

JAT
Sep 30, 2012, 05:16 PM
This seems appropriate to the topic:
http://what-if.xkcd.com/13/

msandersen
Sep 30, 2012, 10:54 PM
I can't believe how humourless some people here are; nobody's suggested destroying it with a laser is a realistic scenario or there was any prospect of it surviving. The point of it, like with the Will It Blend videos, or your average Mythbusters episode, is to deliver wanton destruction in spectacular fashion for amusement. It is not a reflection of the phone's quality or a suggestion that other phones might have survived. It's just for fun, and since they paid for it, it's theirs to destroy.

"Android manufacturers are going to have to create better quality devices if they want to compete with the iPhone 5." - from the end of the first video.

Uh no. Other way around. I don't think the iPhone 5 is the most durable smartphone. I have to admit, I was disappointed to see that the iPhone died after getting wet. I just switched over from the Droid Razr Maxx, which had some sort of hydrophobic waterproof coating (video link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLz-AB7tTb8). I liked not having to worry about using my phone in the rain, or not having to put it in a plastic bag at the beach, down by the pool, or on a water ride at Six Flags.
It did survive the hot coffee test; rain or damp won't be an issue provided you are sensible about it and don't pour water through the open ports. Most phones, like any electronics, don't like water. You don't turn a phone on after it's been submerged like they did; it may take a while to dry off in rice, and the battery might be drained. Mostly people drop their phones into the toilet or some similar thing, and presumably don't leave it for more than a few seconds. Even with a hydrophobic coating I wouldn't care to submerge my phone deliberately, as it's tempting fate. Still seems a good idea to have a coating provided it doesn't affect the phone's operations.

ritmomundo
Oct 1, 2012, 11:01 AM
It did survive the hot coffee test; rain or damp won't be an issue provided you are sensible about it and don't pour water through the open ports. Most phones, like any electronics, don't like water. You don't turn a phone on after it's been submerged like they did; it may take a while to dry off in rice, and the battery might be drained. Mostly people drop their phones into the toilet or some similar thing, and presumably don't leave it for more than a few seconds. Even with a hydrophobic coating I wouldn't care to submerge my phone deliberately, as it's tempting fate. Still seems a good idea to have a coating provided it doesn't affect the phone's operations.

Yep, I agree with everything you're saying. However, the tech is clearly out there, and Motorola has been using it in several phones. It would have been nice if Apple did it too.

PinkyMacGodess
Oct 1, 2012, 11:55 AM
News flash: Placing hand on red hot burner still burns hand, and causes pain...

Funny that my mom-in-law ran her 3gs through the washer and it actually worked. There was some water between the layers of the display glass that never went away, but it did survive, turned on, and charged. Everything worked, except it was hard to view what the phone was doing. Apple swapped it for $...

MacDav
Oct 1, 2012, 03:00 PM
Well...how about a steamroller, or a 12 gauge? A drop from the Empire State Building? I could go on, but I've already given this way too much thought. ;)

rjphoto
Oct 1, 2012, 03:55 PM

No, it's a Taurus Judge or one of the other shotgun (410 gauge) shooting revolvers.

Go to 8 seconds and you can see the size of the barrel. At 27 seconds into the video you can see the fire come out the end of the barrel.

In the first shot 3 "BBs" (bird shot like pellets) hit the screen. In the second shot only one pellet hit it.

Sorry, missed this:
it's not a bebe gun either. It's a Taurus Judge with a 4/10 shotgun shell in it.

mjpearce023
Oct 1, 2012, 03:57 PM
This is actually really helpful to those of us who own lasers and use them on a day to day basis. Accidents happen!;)

cvaldes
Oct 1, 2012, 11:30 PM
Lots of people have lasers, either in the form of a CD or DVD player.

MacinDoc
Oct 2, 2012, 12:47 AM
;)Lots of people have lasers, either in the form of a CD or DVD player.
I'm sure inserting your iPhone into one will not be particularly good for the phone, either. Even without the laser.

May not be that good for the player, for that matter. ;)

skottichan
Oct 4, 2012, 07:07 PM
You think that's tough? Try just carrying the phone in your pocket. Amazing if it does not scuff and ding.

I'm carrying mine without a case, no scuffs or dings.

TheRealPorkchop
Oct 5, 2012, 04:53 PM
ERMERGERD! Nert werter ernd lersers!!

Best thread comment....

HAHAHA!!!

I sure hope that during the zombie apocalypse they don't have lasers.