Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rate you experience with Apple Maps

• good - Don't have any issues and don't miss google maps at all

Votes: 161 37.4%
  • fine - - finds most of the locations all the time

Votes: 126 29.2%
  • not very good - finds some locations, but misses most

Votes: 96 22.3%
  • horrible - maps wrong all the time

Votes: 48 11.1%

• Total voters

twowinns

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
McKinney, Texas
I've used it 4 times since the 21st, and had only one minor error (placed the destination about 100 yards away from actual location). Otherwise, it works perfectly. I like it much better than the Google Map app.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I've used it a handful of times since iOS 6 was released. It hasn't "steered" me wrong yet. I haven't even tried the 3D maps, so I can't speak to that. Just the regular turn by turn. Now I will say that I am in the USA and all of my travels were to places that have existed for a long time. I haven't tried any of the new development in town....

KdParker

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I've used it 4 times since the 21st, and had only one minor error (placed the destination about 100 yards away from actual location). Otherwise, it works perfectly. I like it much better than the Google Map app.

Same experience for me too. Posted poll to guage where most people fall.

michaelz

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
LA
The program of iOS Map is the best on iPhone, smooth zooming, clean interface, traffic info. Their data may not be the most completed and updated for few users, but the app itself is the best.

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
The Maps app has worked fine for me so far. I have only used it for navigation once just to test it out and it did fine for me. I've gotten the most use out of it with the Find my Friends app to keep track of my son and so far it has been spot on.

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
I know it's not as good as Google maps, and it does have it's issues, however I personally have not run into anything too odd or problematic.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
Being in Boston it works pretty good and the 3D is awesome. I am missing the lack of public transportation directions. Not as good as the old app but I can't say it is the end of the world people are making it out to be. Maybe it's because of my location though.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Considering more people saying it good, the maps app is fine. There are just some faults in certain areas but that will be patched and worked on. Overall I love the UI and never had a problem with Apple's Map...yet

Last edited:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Finally a poll. So many people complaining about it on the forums, lets see the real results from a straight up poll.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I don't like your poll options.

The new Maps has worked fine for me so far, but I do miss Google as the back-end mapping system ;)

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
It's not very good but I'm fine with it. It's going to take some time for it to be on par with Google Maps, they didn't get the way they are overnight.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
The UI is awesome, I love it.

The problem is, they are very incomplete in Mexico, VERY.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
100% perfect for me here in CT/USA. I've used it a handful of times via Siri. Love it! I may ditch my Navigon app for this.

mdawid

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Maps couldn't even give me correct directions from a local pizza shop to my home which is less than 2 miles away. It wanted me to make a right on my street rather than a left.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Its OK IMO. I live in the US and its let me down a few times in major cities (Baltimore, NYC and Vegas) but its worked properly more then its let me down. My only gripe is lack of POI's because sometimes I like to just see what's around or on my route. Thankfully I don't have a huge need for public transit.

I think the app itself is kind of featureless but it gets the job done.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Its OK IMO. I live in the US and its let me down a few times in major cities (Baltimore, NYC and Vegas) but its worked properly more then its let me down. My only gripe is lack of POI's because sometimes I like to just see what's around or on my route. Thankfully I don't have a huge need for public transit.

I think the app itself is kind of featureless but it gets the job done.

Agreed. Just have to wait and see, but this does seem to be getting better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.