Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
What, do you want a case for the case? Who cares if the case gets scratched, as long as the prize on inside is protected.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
What say you?

41u7dbgzZ7L._SS400_.jpg

It's not the scratching. It's the lint and dust that are the problem.

I used the clear bumper (above) for my iPhone 4 for two years and while it was great to see the aluminum through the bumper, every two months I'd start to see the lint and dust collecting under the acrylic, had to clean it out.

BJ

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Every hard clear plastic case I've ever had has scratched all to hell in extremely short order and I baby my phones (and cases) to a ridiculous degree. Never near keys or coins, carried in their own pocket in my purse, etc. Scratches are inevitable.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
I have the incipio feather (i think... picked it up at target or walmart a yr ago). It's smoke on a white phone and I can see the scratches when i turn it towards a light... other than that it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Yes. Preparation H Feels good on the whole /Scotty Evil

I have one, and yes they do pick up scratches, but unless you are running sand paper against it I don't think it will ever make it look bad enough to replace it,

Ntran

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
I used to have one provided by Apple for my IP4 and it got scratch quickly just after a week, making the phone look ugly. Gave it up and used a dark soft clear case instead and very happy with it over the last 2 years

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I had a switcheasy nude for the 4, and while it didn't scratch, the dirt buildup was pretty bothersome.

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
What, do you want a case for the case? Who cares if the case gets scratched, as long as the prize on inside is protected.

Thanks for your help ;)
Nope, I don't want a case for a case. But, since there are so many cases to choose from, I would rather pick one that will look nicer, as opposed to one that will look crappy quickly.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I had an SGP case for my 4S that had a clear back and silver sides. The back is still unscratched, but the plastic clips that hold the sides on broke. I had the case for almost a year before they broke though. No scratches on the plastic back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.