Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2006MB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
My wife's 2006 MacBook has bogged down horribly over time. When I checked it with Disk Utilities, Disk Verification reports it is fine, but I found dozens of faulty Disk Permissions, including an especially ominous one:

"Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired."

So I backed-up up her data, both using Time Machine and copying the files using the Finder. I erased and formatted the HD, ran my SnowLeopard System Install DVD, and restored her data via Time Machine [knowing this might possibly bring some of the junk back, as it was not a truly 'clean install'.

The broken permissions were there, in the new SnowLeopard system on the erased HD. I ran a pass of Repair Disk Permissions; it indicated it repaired each one except the one above, but when I ran Verify Disk Permissions again, dozens of broken permissions were listed.

So, I re-erased the HD, installed only SnowLeopard from the DVD and did the software updates via System Preferences. At this point I have NOT restored any of my wife's files or data - nothing. And the broken permissions are back again.

Any idea what is wrong? I am baffled? HELP!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There is a list from Apple of file permissions that are always incorrect and safe to ignore. That file happens to be one of them.

2006MB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Are you recommending that I can just ignore all of them, or just the one you know is on the list?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.