Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Last edited by a moderator:

VanityBonet

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
Done as soon as my contract is up in October. It's not because of the map app tho, it's mainly the dinky low-res screen, ****** build quality, and out of date tech. But also Timmy's "screw you" attitude which is so obvious in pulling the google app prematurely.

the reason i do not leave the iphone is because i invested so much into these games but somebody stated i can use some app in the android store to bring my purchases/game levels to a android device if its available in the android stores

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Done as soon as my contract is up in October. It's not because of the map app tho, it's mainly the dinky low-res screen, ****** build quality, and out of date tech. But also Timmy's "screw you" attitude which is so obvious in pulling the google app prematurely.

I'm curious, what out of date tech are you referring to then? The SOC that kicks the crap out of any Android or Windows device? The screen with one of the highest, if not the highest DPI on the market and that you can actually read outside? The thin size? The great camera made by Sony? The 2.4 and 5ghz WiFi? The LTE?

Or are you simply stating as the phone lacks wireless charging, and NFC then it's a total tech flop?

As for the build quality, some peoples have scratches, yeah, but if you drop it the screen won't crack as proved by Android fan you tube videos. The S3 on the other hand destroys itself because it's plastic crap.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I'm curious, what out of date tech are you referring to then? The SOC that kicks the crap out of any Android or Windows device? The screen with one of the highest, if not the highest DPI on the market and that you can actually read outside? The thin size? The great camera made by Sony? The 2.4 and 5ghz WiFi? The LTE?

Or are you simply stating as the phone lacks wireless charging, and NFC then it's a total tech flop?

As for the build quality, some peoples have scratches, yeah, but if you drop it the screen won't crack as proved by Android fan you tube videos. The S3 on the other hand destroys itself because it's plastic crap.

To further add to that...

From the lab: Lumia 920 low-light shootout with Nokia 808, iPhone 5, HTC One X and Galaxy S III
"The 920 took the cake, without question, but the iPhone didn't fare too poorly itself, snatching up nearly as much light as the Nokia device. The 808 PureView also performed quite well, but the HTC One X and Samsung Galaxy S III yielded unusable results."
Engadget 9-26-12

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
(1) Every other high end smartphone is 720p with a larger screen. (2) The iPhone 5 feels cheap and flimsy in your hand… What does the iPhone 5 give you that the iPhone 4 didn't 28 months ago besides (3) Siri, (4) a slightly better camera, (5) a bigger screen that's crappy compared to the competition, and (6) LTE, which Apple is years behind on.
1. Article: DisplayMate Rates iPhone 5 Screen as "Best Smartphone Display" They've Seen
2. To you, perhaps.
3. Siri was arguably the main selling point of the iPhone 4S.
4. The competitor's offerings are about the same as the iPhone 5's.
5. Measured by what metric? Size? Or, maybe, the ability to use it one-handed?
6. There's a reason why they didn't introduce LTE with the 4S. That reason is battery life.

Oh, and you forgot the A6, built on Apple's custom architecture.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Every other high end smartphone is 720p with a larger screen. The iPhone 5 feels cheap and flimsy in your hand.

And as far as old tech, what does the iPhone 5 give you that the iPhone 4 didn't 28 months ago besides Siri, a slightly better camera, a bigger screen that's crappy compared to the competition, and LTE, which Apple is years behind on. That's a pretty small list for 28 months of innovation, and the competition has been busy in that time.

Wow, really? Apple are YEARS behind everyone else on LTE is it then? So just WHEN was the first LTE enabled phone on sale in America? was it YEARS ago or a year ago?
As for the rest of us, well we mostly don't even have ANY LTE networks yet. The camera is much improved, the phone does NOT feel cheap, that is utter FUD. It is light, has a brilliant screen.

You seem to like trying to talk FUD about the iPhone 5, meh I feel like I'm just feeding the troll with this reply. Go back to your precious plastic fantastic S3, just make sure you never drop it, or you could put a case on it just to add to it's already massive width!

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Wow, really? Apple are YEARS behind everyone else on LTE is it then? So just WHEN was the first LTE enabled phone on sale in America? was it YEARS ago or a year ago?
As for the rest of us, well we mostly don't even have ANY LTE networks yet. The camera is much improved, the phone does NOT feel cheap, that is utter FUD. It is light, has a brilliant screen.

You seem to like trying to talk FUD about the iPhone 5, meh I feel like I'm just feeding the troll with this reply. Go back to your precious plastic fantastic S3, just make sure you never drop it, or you could put a case on it just to add to it's already massive width!

Good one. The Galaxy S2 and S3 are the epitome of cheap feel. It's like Samsung put Lipstick (the internals) on pig.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
I'm curious, what out of date tech are you referring to then? ... The screen with one of the highest, if not the highest DPI on the market and that you can actually read outside? The thin size? The great camera made by Sony? The 2.4 and 5ghz WiFi? The LTE?

I answered most of that for someone else on the thread....but the iPhone 5 display is very low res and the only phone pretending to be high end that isn't 720. That pos screen on the iPhone is a crappy resolution and horrible picture quality compared to the competition. Thin size is ********. The 4S is a very thin phone already, give me a large phone with a decent battery life and decent durability. LTE is last year's tech, the fact they finally included it is a second-rate game of catch-up.

See above...I'm talking about core features that every vendor except apple has offered for years and apple still doesn't offer.

It feels so damn flimsy it's like a cheap fisher price toy. The scratches are just another nail in the coffin. Calling the S3 plastic crap just shows you're ignorant and won't even look beyond the apple store.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
1. Article: DisplayMate Rates iPhone 5 Screen as "Best Smartphone Display" They've Seen
2. To you, perhaps.
3. Siri was arguably the main selling point of the iPhone 4S.
4. The competitor's offerings are about the same as the iPhone 5's.
5. Measured by what metric? Size? Or, maybe, the ability to use it one-handed?
6. There's a reason why they didn't introduce LTE with the 4S. That reason is battery life.

Oh, and you forgot the A6, built on Apple's custom architecture.

1. Wanna bet DisplayMate takes money from Apple?
2. To anyone open minded enough to actually hold both phones.
3. So because apple marking says it's all you need, you need look no farther. Talk about being ignorant.
4. Comparing smartphone cameras since some fanboi would. imo all smartphone cameras are garbage, but then I'm a professional photographer, if you can't print a perfect 16x20, don't press the button, so this is a non-issue for me.
5. That it's the smallest screen and only one that doesn't do 720p.
6. And the battery-life on the 5 is even worse because Timmy has a hard-on for skinny, skanks and can't make it the same thickness with a decent battery.

If you want to compare the A6 to anything else on the market, Apple may as well close the company and go home. Sheep like you say it's about the experience, not processor specs so I didn't mention it, but Apple doesn't come close to competing there.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
This is trolling 101! That's all you got?

This is macrumors, not macfans. I'm often a critic of Apple. Yes, there are people who are obvious fans here, but sometimes, we check in to see tech news. And voice our opinions.

1. Wanna bet DisplayMate takes money from Apple?
2. To anyone open minded enough to actually hold both phones.
3. So because apple marking says it's all you need, you need look no farther. Talk about being ignorant.
4. Comparing smartphone cameras since some fanboi would. imo all smartphone cameras are garbage, but then I'm a professional photographer, if you can't print a perfect 16x20, don't press the button, so this is a non-issue for me.
5. That it's the smallest screen and only one that doesn't do 720p.
6. And the battery-life on the 5 is even worse because Timmy has a hard-on for skinny, skanks and can't make it the same thickness with a decent battery.

If you want to compare the A6 to anything else on the market, Apple may as well close the company and go home. Sheep like you say it's about the experience, not processor specs so I didn't mention it, but Apple doesn't come close to competing there.

1. Prove it.
2. People think plastic feels cheap-even when its not. You can't drive that out of people without people equating high grades of plastic with quality. Western Society is yet to do that, despite plastics being used for many advanced purposes and far better than other materials. Its a matter of taste.
3. No disagreement here.
4. Apple's Camera is great, perhaps the best in a smartphone, perhaps not. But the quality is sufficiently good that it simply doesn't matter much to me. I'm satisfied with my old flip phone's camera, which was 1 megapixel back in the day.
5. 720p really isn't a big deal on a small screen, and some people like small screens. I don't, and I'd love choice, but my hands are really big. The reality is I was watching it without issue before, and things look fine.
6. The battery life for the 5 is about the same. I wish it was better and thicker, but not my choice, and frankly, unlike the iPhone 4S on Verizon getting terrible 3G in the New York area for the last few months, the 5 blazes. That's true with most android phones, but it is especially nice when you're upgrading from a 3G phone to see no hit in battery life whatsoever.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
The LTE chip in the iPhone is a great chip. They seemed to expect it to be ready last year around October-that's probably why the iPhone has the fall cycle now-but Qualcomm couldn't do it for a year.

So apple engineering messed up the iPhone 4S by using chips that didn't exist yet. Okay.

(screen size is an argument for papering over the engineering for the radios and battery-I like the bigger screens, but let's be realistic, they HAD to include them to make the phone look not like a bad joke).

And yet the dinky low-res apple phone makes it the bad joke instead.

It does feel light (the iPhone 5) and very cheap, but the materials are incredibly strong and durable at holding the thing together (Aluminium is a GREAT building material)-it is far stronger than an iPhone 4/4S. Yes, it scratches, get a darn case.

So you agree it fees light and cheap but argue apple goes for something that looks pretty. Then you say the quality is so crappy we should hide it in a case?

Do you really not see how stupid that argument is? The iPhone 5 is built like a piece of **** and you have to put it in a case to hide and protect it. Score one for Timmy.

The S3 is a great device, but nonetheless, I got the 5, I have my reasons, and you calling it a cheap fisher price toy is about the same as someone calling the S3 "Plastic Crap."

Yet people do call the S3 plastic crap when it's a nicer, more solid build and design than the iPhone 5 and has a better 720p screen to boot.

Would I have loved a 720p screen? Absolutely. My fingers are huge, I could use the extra space. But you know what? I was watching a downsized 720p movie over LTE, and it looked perfectly fine and perfectly watchable.

Bottom line, every other company in the world gives you that choice. Apple you take their **** and don't complain. Well apple users really must be idiots then.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
1. Prove it.
2. People think plastic feels cheap-even when its not. You can't drive that out of people without people equating high grades of plastic with quality. Western Society is yet to do that, despite plastics being used for many advanced purposes and far better than other materials. Its a matter of taste.
3. No disagreement here.
4. Apple's Camera is great, perhaps the best in a smartphone, perhaps not. But the quality is sufficiently good that it simply doesn't matter much to me. I'm satisfied with my old flip phone's camera, which was 1 megapixel back in the day.
5. 720p really isn't a big deal on a small screen, and some people like small screens. I don't, and I'd love choice, but my hands are really big. The reality is I was watching it without issue before, and things look fine.
6. The battery life for the 5 is about the same. I wish it was better and thicker, but not my choice, and frankly, unlike the iPhone 4S on Verizon getting terrible 3G in the New York area for the last few months, the 5 blazes. That's true with most android phones, but it is especially nice when you're upgrading from a 3G phone to see no hit in battery life whatsoever.

1. Always take 3rd party reviews with a grain of salt, I learned that with video games growing up and it's true of all products, I don't have to prove it there's a good chance it's true, but either way the article means very little.
2. Only seems to affect apple fanboys who won't even touch an android and use plastic as an insult, most of the world doesn't seem to have an issue with high quality plastic just the zealots here.
4. I agree with you. My point was just how little Apple has given in the last 28 months. Especially compared to Android.
5. It's a matter of opinion, and at lesat everone else gives you choice. People make such a big deal of apple's super retina magic screen when it's really one of the worst out, but they won't look at anything else. It's like a religious cult where you're not allowed to look at the other group's sacred text.
6. Every time you say you wish...but it's not your choice. In android it is your choice. Take the iPhone 5, make it the size and weight of the 4S with a solid case and larger battery and it would be a much better phone. But Apple is all about sacrificing performance for thin.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
So apple engineering messed up the iPhone 4S by using chips that didn't exist yet. Okay.

They were unwilling to use present LTE chips on the market, and thus, released it without LTE. That's Qualcomm's fault and Apple's choice.

For the size, it is a high resolution screen. I can't complain about the ppi at all, and calling it a low resolution, as opposed to low functioning, screen is just ridiculous. Its very high resolution for its size, and do Android phones go above 720p? No? Then I don't see the big deal. Plus, Pentile still has issues and an AMOLED screen is a few years away from getting genuinely good high density screens without going for Pentile at the yields and price that makes sense to put in a phone. Again, its a matter of taste. I have no problem with the iPhone 5 type LED/LCD and I don't think any sane person would, either.

So you agree it fees light and cheap but argue apple goes for something that looks pretty. Then you say the quality is so crappy we should hide it in a case?

If you're that defensive about scratches, I'd say, absolutely, put it in a case. If you don't care, then no different. I think it feels a bit light and cheap but that's simply because I'm used to steel and glass and aware of the materials. This phone is MUCH tougher built than the previous one, but it doesn't feel that way. Marketing bias.

Do you really not see how stupid that argument is? The iPhone 5 is built like a piece of **** and you have to put it in a case to hide and protect it. Score one for Timmy.

Yeah, sure. Make it so people can't see the Apple branding, score one for Timmy. And it isn't build like a piece of star star star star, its built pretty well. Its your bias against lightweight metals.

Yet people do call the S3 plastic crap when it's a nicer, more solid build and design than the iPhone 5 and has a better 720p screen to boot.

I've generally defended the S3 several times on this forum against the "plastic crap" argument. Its a solid, well built phone. You can get away with aluminium easier than plastic in our society.

Bottom line, every other company in the world gives you that choice. Apple you take their **** and don't complain. Well apple users really must be idiots then.

Apple users do take things and complain, but for most users, it gets the job done. The iPhone is very easy to use, and you don't have to really pay much attention to it. Problem? Take it to the Apple Store, they'll restore it for free, maybe even replace it for free, or otherwise, show you how to use it/not hold it wrong. Android makers don't really have that option at this time. I buy Apple not because I'm enamored with the quality but I simply don't feel like constantly tweaking my phone and paying attention and because I know I can get to the store and be intelligent enough to explain the problem and get whatever my problem is replaced for free on any device, and that is in my opinion a service I pay for with the "Apple Tax"-yes, you can get better deals, if you're willing to put in the time and effort. But I do know I had to baby my WebOS phone into doing anything I wanted, and while Android is good, first, I have personal reasons why I don't buy Android, and second, it does require a bit more of a brain to use. Not much more, but a bit more. And I spend enough time at my job and at the gym and socializing to know I don't feel like necessarily putting the extra 5 minutes a month into it when I can take it to an Apple Store and they can treat it like a disposable object.

----------

1. Always take 3rd party reviews with a grain of salt, I learned that with video games growing up and it's true of all products, I don't have to prove it there's a good chance it's true, but either way the article means very little.
2. Only seems to affect apple fanboys who won't even touch an android and use plastic as an insult, most of the world doesn't seem to have an issue with high quality plastic just the zealots here.
4. I agree with you. My point was just how little Apple has given in the last 28 months. Especially compared to Android.
5. It's a matter of opinion, and at lesat everone else gives you choice. People make such a big deal of apple's super retina magic screen when it's really one of the worst out, but they won't look at anything else. It's like a religious cult where you're not allowed to look at the other group's sacred text.
6. Every time you say you wish...but it's not your choice. In android it is your choice. Take the iPhone 5, make it the size and weight of the 4S with a solid case and larger battery and it would be a much better phone. But Apple is all about sacrificing performance for thin.

Agreed with all, except I do think the average consumer associates plastic with cheap, unaware that plastic makes their high quality stuff usually work. As far as the review goes, people are fanboys when they write. Its hard to get an unbiased review, no matter if they're on the take or not. I guess, read the reviews of people who have similar taste.

I find it funny that people here refer to me as an Android fanboy for simply defending the SIII and especially its performance on Jelly Bean. The SIII has a better chip than the iPhone 5, but ICS was killing its performance. New Benchmarks on the new OS beat the A6 processor.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

You people need to come to terms with the fact that the Galaxy S3 display is absolute ****.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
You people need to come to terms with the fact that the Galaxy S3 display is absolute ****.

How is it absolute quadruple star, Techarchy? I'm curious. I think its a fine display...though I take issue with pentile making it feel oddly dull. Unlike the iPhone, the filter does not create the color (LED/LCD) but the screen itself lights up the colors. LCDs are passive, LEDs are active, and I think that LED is the technology of the future (and everyone would agree) and, like LCD has had time to mature, LEDs will catch up to the resolution on RGB within the next three years, as well as price. And will you still be bashing those displays when in 2-4 years, Apple releases their liquidmetal iPhone solution complete with RGB OLED display?

Of course not.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009

Wow, what a fine articulate and well thought out response. You should definitely be a spokesperson for apple fans everywhere.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
You're calling a retina display "low-res"? You must be joking or trolling.

This is exactly what I mean about the apple fanbois who won't even look at what's out there. Every other high end smartphone on the market is 720p. Apple is the only one left with low-res crap.

Retina is meaningless apple marketing BS from 2010 and everyone else is way beyond it.

skunnykart

macrumors regular
May 7, 2010
This is exactly what I mean about the apple fanbois who won't even look at what's out there. Every other high end smartphone on the market is 720p. Apple is the only one left with low-res crap.

Retina is meaningless apple marketing BS from 2010 and everyone else is way beyond it.

I agree that the term "Retina" is marketing BS but the retina displays are pretty stunning.
Calling it "low-res crap" is taking it a bit too far don't you think?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
How is it absolute quadruple star, Techarchy? I'm curious. I think its a fine display...though I take issue with pentile making it feel oddly dull. Unlike the iPhone, the filter does not create the color (LED/LCD) but the screen itself lights up the colors. LCDs are passive, LEDs are active, and I think that LED is the technology of the future (and everyone would agree) and, like LCD has had time to mature, LEDs will catch up to the resolution on RGB within the next three years, as well as price. And will you still be bashing those displays when in 2-4 years, Apple releases their liquidmetal iPhone solution complete with RGB OLED display?

Of course not.

Fine by what standard?

The brightness sucks
Color reproduction is horrible
Clearly visible pentile artifacts
Burn in artifacts
Bluish green tint
Lousy power consumption
Wretched outdoor visibility

Really, what exactly does the GS3 display do right?

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
AMOLED is a technology to watch, but currently it is immature. LCD TV screens were originally panned, Plasma fans deriding its technical qualities. Now that LCD has matured, you don't find many, if any, Plasmas around. Apple has chosen the right technology for the current state of play, in the future when Amoled's colour balance, oversaturation, and power consumption issues are dealt with, Apple will presumably adopt it if they judge it to be a better or as-good for cheaper alternative. The iPhone 5's screen is superb, and Apple has properly calibrated the colours, unlike the Galaxy 3's display which is uncalibrated and badly oversaturated. Which is not a reflection of the display's potential.

Ever hear of yellow tint? By that standard, Apple ships a good bunch of uncalibrated ones.

Its not uncalibrated and badly oversaturated, but actually quite fine in my opinion-if you're used to it, I know people who hate LCDs who are used to CRTs still.

Fine by what standard?

The brightness sucks
Color reproduction is horrible
Clearly visible pentile artifacts
Burn in artifacts
Bluish green tint
Lousy power consumption
Wretched outdoor visibility

Really, what exactly does the GS3 display do right?

Brightness sucks? Are you joking? You do realize the screen itself lights the display, not the other way around. Subsequently you can get more colors, and people complain of oversaturation for that reason. Power consumption also is task dependent. The power consumption is nominally worse, and will actually be better fairly soon.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Brightness sucks? Are you joking? You do realize the screen itself lights the display, not the other way around. Subsequently you can get more colors, and people complain of oversaturation for that reason. Power consumption also is task dependent. The power consumption is nominally worse, and will actually be better fairly soon.

Yes, the brightness sucks, flat out, no getting around it.

Lie to yourself if you need to, but the the brightness of the GS3 is abysmal.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Yes, the brightness sucks, flat out, no getting around it.

Lie to yourself if you need to, but the the brightness of the GS3 is abysmal.

As if this was somehow relevant. Nobody keeps their screens anywhere near the maximum brightness. And when it comes to visibility under the Sun OLED screens have huge advantage because they have infinitely higher contrast. Brightness is not everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.