Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I currently use Netflix on my TiVo Premiere but the performance is lacking. Takes too long to register a response to fast forwarding and rewinding. A lot of blinking (screen goes black for a second). I was thinking a dedicated box like a Roku or Apple TV might be better.

Those who stream Netflix and have used one or both, how was it in terms of how snappy the menus were and how quickly commands to pause, rewind or fast forward were during movies? I hate trying to FF but then hitting the play button and nothing happening for 3-5 seconds while it zooms past where you wanted to go.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I currently use Netflix on my TiVo Premiere but the performance is lacking. Takes too long to register a response to fast forwarding and rewinding. A lot of blinking (screen goes black for a second). I was thinking a dedicated box like a Roku or Apple TV might be better.

Those who stream Netflix and have used one or both, how was it in terms of how snappy the menus were and how quickly commands to pause, rewind or fast forward were during movies? I hate trying to FF but then hitting the play button and nothing happening for 3-5 seconds while it zooms past where you wanted to go.

I have the Apple TV 2 & 3, and they work great, no slowness or flickering. They respond quickly and as long as you have a fast Internet connection, you should get next to no buffering.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I have the Apple TV 2 & 3, and they work great, no slowness or flickering. They respond quickly and as long as you have a fast Internet connection, you should get next to no buffering.

Same here.

There's usually a delay of a few seconds before the video starts playing and I've been using it for 9 months and have only had a couple of instances when the picture has paused for buffering.

Last edited:

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Yeah, I'm fine with it taking a few seconds to buffer before it starts. It's just the ridiculous delay when trying to rewind or fast forward that drives me crazy. Sometimes there are scenes that we don't want to watch with kids in the room or whatever, or we want to rewind to hear some dialogue again and it's nearly impossible to use with the Tivo because of this lag issue.

I have a 25Mbps internet connection so I should be good there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.