PDA

View Full Version : Your hopes and wishes for iPhone 6 - Themes, NFC, 4.5 inch Screen, Gaming Controller

iPad 2
Sep 29, 2012, 07:18 AM
If they keep the identical pixel density and aspect ratio as the iPhone 5 but go to a 1280x720 resolution screen, it would be exactly 4.5 inches diagonal. Current apps would run with a slim blackborder around them until updated for the new resolution.

Apple might hesistate make that the only option, but if so, akin to how they're releasing a smaller iPad to sell along side the bigger one, I really hope they release a bigger iPhone to sell along side the current size.

Battery technology has not improved signficantly, so the only way to achieve a bigger watt hour battery is to make the phone itself physically larger. I would happily opt for a bigger phone with a bigger screen and bigger battery, but a phone with the same dimensions as the current 4" phone should continue to be sold along side it for those who prefer that.

Both the 4" model and the 4.5" model would be identical internally. The only difference is that the 4.5" model would be a little bigger, have a higher resolution 1280x720 which retains the same 16:9 aspect ratio as the current iPhone 5, and as a result of being bigger, would also have enough room to have a bigger battery squeezed in. And given how well bigger smartphones with bigass batteries are selling, I am not the only person that would love a bigger iPhone.

What are your other wishes for iPhone 6?

I think NFC is a no brainer as is an official gaming controller attachment but aside from that, I can't think of any other realistic additions in terms of hardware.

With one caveat, the iPhone is a gaming beast but it would really shine if it had something like this...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703567677/icontrolpad-2-the-open-source-controller

If Apple put an accessory like that together, it would be a hell of a lot sleeker looking, would look flush with the iphone and would be a lot more popular and widely supported as a result. It would really take iOS gaming to new heights.

In terms of design...

My dream for iPhone 6 is this, but similar heft and thinness like the 4S:
http://www.concept-phones.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/iPhone5_NAK_design_1.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------
And lastly, it's about time that Apple embraces themes...

iOS is perfect the way it is. It's extremely functional, fast, neat, well organized and intuitive.

People have been using the iPhones for the past five years. They're starting to get sick of staring at essentially the same damn home screen for 5 years now, any UI after that length of time starts to feel boring.

What apple really needs is allow developers to make and submit custom themes to the app store. Apple tests them out to make sure they function well and are speedy, and then puts them up for sale on the App Store.

This way, all the complainers get access to beautiful themes like this, and Apple pockets some money along the way....

http://creativefan.com/files/2011/07/best-iphone-themes-4.jpg

http://creativefan.com/files/2011/07/best-iphone-themes-5.png

http://creativefan.com/files/2011/07/best-iphone-themes-32.jpg

http://creativefan.com/files/2011/07/best-iphone-themes-28.png

Everyone can see the above pictures right? If not, they're a select few awesome iPhone themes from... http://creativefan.com/best-iphone-themes-50-top-free-iphone-themes/

Also, I kindly ask that you only post if you have something to add to the discussion. Making posts about how you don't care to discuss the iPhone 6 is a waste of time, and if you really didn't care, why did you care enough to enter the thread in the first place?

Jane333
Sep 29, 2012, 07:56 AM
Realistic wishes: I wish they would increase the screen size without increasing the size of the phone and they would make the phone even slimmer. I like that the iphone 5 is so much lighter and slimmer - it makes it easier to carry - especially in my small, going-out-at-night purses. I have an ipad so I really don't need a bigger phone. I would also like to see it offered in more colors - like the touch. I would like a longer battery life so I don't have to worry about charging the phone if I am out and about for more than 8 hours. I would like the do not disturb to be more specific so I can actually choose who I want to disturb me and not just favorites - Just because I have someone in favorites does not mean I want them to disturb me

Unrealistic wishes: I also wonder when they will make a flexible phone - I have read that the technology is either available or will be soon. I am not sure if I would actually like a flexible phone or not, but it would be interesting. Or a clear phone, like the one showed as the future phone on the last episode of weeds - provided it would not scratch. Or one that projects a key board or apps - that would be cool and we would not need a bigger phone! I saw apple applied for a patent for some sort of projected keyboard.

1member1
Sep 29, 2012, 08:08 AM
We should be more realistic.
NFC would be great if this year it will prove itself as useful all over the world.
Screen size is alright you cant stretch it to 4.5 that will look weird.

I believe they will come up with a new design, payment system integreted with passbook and new streaming music service.

Right now iPhone 5 is great and people should be satisfied.

b166er
Sep 29, 2012, 08:11 AM
So the name game begins huh?

I'd like to see the next iPhone at least catch up with some of the competition hardware wise. Software wise there is a lot of room for improvement and innovation.

JayLenochiniMac
Sep 29, 2012, 08:31 AM
Do you mean the iPhone 6 two years from now or iPhone 5S next year, which will most likely retain the same design but with more features?

I believe they'll keep the 4" screen size but reduce the wasted space at the top and bottom to make it smaller and better proportioned in two years.

freedevil
Sep 29, 2012, 08:31 AM
My hopes are that this thread doesn't exist. Every time man. Enjoy the current phone first, okay?

mrskullfreak
Sep 29, 2012, 08:47 AM
I would like a more beveled style...

tigress666
Sep 29, 2012, 08:50 AM
Only if they give the same specs to the smaller phone.

Which they won't (check out the Mac line, the smallest mac pro really is a big level below the other two, or one size now). Which is why I don't want a "pro" model because I want them to feel pressured to put just as good specs into the smaller model because just cause some of us don't want some huge ass phone doesn't mean we don't want a phone that doesn't have the best capabilities Apple can offer.

dasx
Sep 29, 2012, 08:55 AM
OMG. iPhone 6 threads already?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vwZ2RaM2sIU/Tc7hNDd8Z3I/AAAAAAAADfs/G5kzIhJ2Bbo/s1600/facepalm-homer.jpg

AustinIllini
Sep 29, 2012, 09:12 AM
I would love a pro model of the iPhone with a 1280x720 4.5 inch display and a bigger battery which would retain the same identical pixel density as the current iPhone. And given how well bigger smartphones are selling, I am not the only person that would love a bigger iPhone.

I can't imagine Apple making the screen bigger two releases in a row. And would someone like to explain to me how big is too big? And is the screen just going to get longer?

tigress666
Sep 29, 2012, 09:13 AM

You're new here, aren't you? ;):D

iPad 2
Sep 29, 2012, 10:28 AM

I kindly ask that you only post if you have something to add to the discussion. Posting about how you don't care to discuss the iPhone 6 is a waste of time, and if you really didn't care, why did you care enough to enter the thread in the first place?

matttye
Sep 29, 2012, 10:32 AM
I'd like it if Siri supported "then" to separate commands:

"Text mum I'll call you when I leave work then remind me to call mum when I leave work"

netdog
Sep 29, 2012, 10:49 AM
The next iteration of the iPhone will not change the form, hence no larger screen.

SR45
Sep 29, 2012, 10:58 AM
My hopes are that this thread doesn't exist. Every time man. Enjoy the current phone first, okay?

Someone should Keep a running favorites count on these type of threads for the next year. So far I count two if not three of them in the past 8 days.

Next phone will be the iphone 5S, not 6

It will have the same screen.... Period

It will have some improvement in the Camera, SIRI, iOS 6, and Maps

Maybe fingerprint technology included.

No NFC until perhaps iphone 6 in two years. Still too new and Apple does not do "New" They wait it out for sometime .

Apple does not care about Fanboys, Enthusiasts, Fanatics nor anyone on these type of boards that want wider, lighter, or fancier hardware. They take their sweet time, and wait until the technology has matured.....Anyone that thinks differently than this have not kept up with Apple's thinking, and are in a dream world. ;)

vastoholic
Sep 29, 2012, 11:02 AM
I'd like it if Siri supported "then" to separate commands:

"Text mum I'll call you when I leave work then remind me to call mum when I leave work"

Yeah while it doesn't have much to do with the iPhone itself, I would like to see more Siri functionality as well, namely more sports such as MotoGP. I don't care to keep up with the sports they integrated now. But for the phone, I would like to see if any improvements can be made with the camera flash. Not that I'm having problems, but add different flash modes. The obvious battery improvements are always welcome. Hopefully the form factor won't be getting any slimmer so they can continually improve battery life now instead of just keeping the same bench marks.

iPad 2
Sep 29, 2012, 11:10 AM
It will have the same screen.... Period

Apple does not care about Fanboys, Enthusiasts, Fanatics nor anyone on these type of boards that want wider, lighter, or fancier hardware. They take their sweet time, and wait until the technology has matured.....Anyone that thinks differently than this have not kept up with Apple's thinking, and are in a dream world. ;)

You sound like all the narrow minded people over the past two years who were absolutely adamant that Apple will never increase the screen size of the iPhone beyond 3.5 inches.

Now all those people who were so sure they knew how Apple thinks are out there eating crow.

OceanView
Sep 29, 2012, 11:16 AM
1. iOS needs a major overhaul. It feels old now.
2. Screen Size needs to be Taller AND Wider.
3. Bigger capacity Battery or Removable Battery
4. Increased Storage Capacity / micro SD card
5. Google Maps / Turn by Turn Navigation
6. NFC

Oh wait, this is what's available on my Android phone now, back to to the past with the iPhone 5.

NT1440
Sep 29, 2012, 11:19 AM
1. iOS needs a major overhaul. It feels old now.

Meaning what?

*waits to hear how somehow a UI makes an OS "new"*

iPad 2
Sep 29, 2012, 11:42 AM
Meaning what?

*waits to hear how somehow a UI makes an OS "new"*

iOS is perfect the way it is. It's extremely functional, fast, neat, well organized and intuitive.

The problem is the people that have been using iPhones for the past five years. They're getting sick of staring at essentially the same damn home screen for 5 years now, any UI after that length of time starts to feel boring.

What apple really needs to do, is allow developers to make and submit custom themes to the app store. Apple tests them out to make sure they function well and are speedy, and then puts them up for sale on the App Store.

This way, all the complainers get access to beautiful themes like this, and apple pockets some money along the way....

http://creativefan.com/files/2011/07/best-iphone-themes-4.jpg

http://creativefan.com/files/2011/07/best-iphone-themes-5.png

http://creativefan.com/files/2011/07/best-iphone-themes-32.jpg

http://creativefan.com/files/2011/07/best-iphone-themes-28.png

dasx
Sep 29, 2012, 11:54 AM
I kindly ask that you only post if you have something to add to the discussion. Posting about how you don't care to discuss the iPhone 6 is a waste of time, and if you really didn't care, why did you care enough to enter the thread in the first place?

I was bored. And I had something to add, so I did.

unobtainium
Sep 29, 2012, 12:11 PM
I think it's possible that the 5S will have:

- the same design
- a new "scratch-resistant" coating
- some new camera features, like maybe low-light optimization to match the Lumia 920, and/or burst mode
- NFC and fingerprint-scanning security
- 802.11ac wifi capabilities
- bump in processor speed and graphics, possibly a bump in RAM
- a new Pandora-like streaming service

iOS 7 will probably feature some big improvements to Siri and Maps (let's hope anyway) and maybe something nifty like multiple user login (tho something like that would probably be restricted to the iPad). My unrealistic wishes for iOS 7 include live wallpapers (battery hog) and iWork and iLife apps that are completely in sync with their Mac counterparts.

NT1440
Sep 29, 2012, 12:13 PM

The problem is the people that have been using iPhones for the past five years. They're getting sick of staring at essentially the same damn home screen for 5 years now, any UI after that length of time starts to feel boring.

What apple really needs to do, is allow developers to make and submit custom themes to the app store. Apple tests them out to make sure they function well and are speedy, and then puts them up for sale on the App Store.

This way, all the complainers get access to beautiful themes like this, and apple pockets some money along the way....

People have been using OSX for over a decade now....

Does it need a new skin? :rolleyes:

iPad 2
Sep 29, 2012, 12:52 PM
People have been using OSX for over a decade now....

Does it need a new skin? :rolleyes:

Plenty of people skin their OSX with new themes. Unlike with the iPhone, skinning a new theme onto your Mac doesn't void the warranty on your device.

On iOS, the only way to install a skin is by jailbreaking it and voiding the warranty. I don't see why this needs to be the case.

Apple should make alternative skins and themes available on the App Store, so you can skin the device without having to void the warranty in the process.

daneoni
Sep 29, 2012, 12:53 PM
In another words you want it to be another Android high-end slab.

iPad 2
Sep 29, 2012, 12:56 PM
In another words you want it to be another Android high-end slab.

You too sound like all the narrow minded people over the past two years who were absolutely adamant that Apple will never increase the screen size of the iPhone beyond 3.5 inches.

People that were absolutely adamant that increasing the screen size on the iPhone would somehow turn into just another Andriod high-end slab, or even more hilariously, that if Apple were to make the iPhone bigger, it wouldn't sell as wel. Now those same people are out there eating crow.

daneoni
Sep 29, 2012, 01:14 PM
You too sound like all the narrow minded people over the past two years who were absolutely adamant that Apple will never increase the screen size of the iPhone beyond 3.5 inches.

People that were absolutely adamant that increasing the screen size on the iPhone would somehow turn into just another Andriod high-end slab, or even more hilariously, that if Apple were to make the iPhone bigger, it wouldn't sell as wel. Now those same people are out there eating crow.

I was never against increasing the screen size. I've always wanted them to go to 4" but nothing higher and preferably within the iPhone 4/4S shell. I want a phone not a phablet.

ET iPhone Home
Sep 29, 2012, 01:23 PM
http://www.concept-phones.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/iPhone5_NAK_design_1.jpg

Minhimalism
Sep 29, 2012, 01:29 PM
Plenty of people skin their OSX with new themes. Unlike with the iPhone, skinning a new theme onto your Mac doesn't void the warranty on your device.

On iOS, the only way to install a skin is by jailbreaking it and voiding the warranty. I don't see why this needs to be the case.

Apple should make alternative skins and themes available on the App Store, so you can skin the device without having to void the warranty in the process.

You can get your warranty back simply by restoring it, but yeah, Apple should allow people to theme.

Adutrumque
Sep 29, 2012, 01:31 PM
Its happening in 2 years. //Thread

dccorona
Sep 29, 2012, 02:57 PM
but akin to how they're releasing a smaller iPad to sell along side the bigger one, I really hope they release a bigger iPhone to sell along side the current size.

The thing is, there has really yet to be a single piece of convincing evidence of this "smaller iPad". The leaks this year have been happening every single year since the iPad came out (and very similar leaks used to happen for an "iPhone nano", back when 3.5" was actually considered huge for a phone). Everything we've seen this year has been a mockup, aside from one supposedly leaked backing piece that in my opinion looks far too cartoonish to be real. The apple logo is too large on the back.

matttye
Oct 7, 2012, 04:04 PM
Diamond camera lens cover?

No idea if that's possible :p

iPad 2
Oct 13, 2012, 11:06 AM
The thing is, there has really yet to be a single piece of convincing evidence of this "smaller iPad". The leaks this year have been happening every single year since the iPad came out (and very similar leaks used to happen for an "iPhone nano", back when 3.5" was actually considered huge for a phone). Everything we've seen this year has been a mockup, aside from one supposedly leaked backing piece that in my opinion looks far too cartoonish to be real. The apple logo is too large on the back.

Get back to me after Oct 23.

----------

Image (http://www.concept-phones.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/iPhone5_NAK_design_1.jpg)

Wow! Stunning. I would love that design along with a screen increase

ThatsMeRight
Oct 13, 2012, 11:17 AM
(...)

Battery technology has not improved signficantly, so the only way to achieve a bigger watt hour battery is to make the phone itself physically larger. I would happily opt for a bigger phone with a bigger screen and bigger battery, but a phone with the same dimensions as the current 4" phone should continue to be sold along side it for those who prefer that.

(...)
Nope, in fact, they can still achieve higher densities. Apple is just buying the cheapest batteries possible. They could have easily settled with a 2000 mAh battery.

The reason they don't is because it'll cost a little bit extra. Let's say that it's only $5 extra, that's still a lot of money if you sell 30 million units ($150000000).

darster
Oct 13, 2012, 11:20 AM
No 4.5 inch screen. Gawd no!

Cougarcat
Oct 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
I can't think of two changes more least likely to happen than themes and a 4.5" screen.

Also, iOS is *not* perfect the way it is. There are many, many areas that need refinements or overhauls. The homescreen was great for an App Store-less OS, but now it's just broken. Inter-app communication is almost non-existent. The App switcher needs to be rethought.

Unlike OS X, iOS is still a relatively immature OS. There's still a lot of work to be done.

NT1440
Oct 13, 2012, 11:30 AM
I can't think of two changes more least likely to happen than themes and a 4.5" screen.

Also, iOS is *not* perfect the way it is. There are many, many areas that need refinements or overhauls. The homescreen was great for an App Store-less OS, but now it's just broken. Inter-app communication is almost non-existent. The App switcher needs to be rethought.

Unlike OS X, iOS is still a relatively immature OS. There's still a lot of work to be done.

So you want to remove the sandboxing that makes iOS so secure...for what purpose? None of the existing API's fit your needs, or has some developer not made exactly what you want yet?

Cougarcat
Oct 13, 2012, 11:45 AM
So you want to remove the sandboxing that makes iOS so secure...

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if sandboxing went away, especially on OS X. I'd trade a bit of security for much more capability any day. It worries me when useful apps are forced from the MAS due to sandboxing restrictions.

But it won't, so there should be official ways apps can talk to one another. Something akin to Windows contracts.

SavMBP15
Oct 13, 2012, 11:49 AM
If someone wants a bigger screen that 4" on an iPhone, go buy a samsung phone or an iPad mini.

The Samsung galaxy is just TOO big. Apple hit the sweet spot with the 5.

Tsuchiya
Oct 13, 2012, 11:57 AM
Very unlikely now- but faster I/O.

Lighting serves no real purpose. It's just a propriety port to give Apple more control over 3rd party applications snuck in under the guise of a novelty.

Yes, we are living in a wireless world, but if the technology is there to make backing up/syncing even faster, it should be used.

Cougarcat
Oct 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
Very unlikely now- but faster I/O.

Lighting serves no real purpose. It's just a propriety port to give Apple more control over 3rd party applications snuck in under the guise of a novelty.

Yes, we are living in a wireless world, but if the technology is there to make backing up/syncing even faster, it should be used.

Lightning has the capability to go USB 3--there's your purpose right there (along with the fact that there is no longer any room for the huge 30-pin.) The reason it doesn't yet is that the flash is too slow.

Deasnutz
Oct 13, 2012, 01:10 PM
I am completely against a larger screen and totally get apples philosophy against enormous phones being lugged around. It's totally unnecessary unless you have bad eyesight (then you need contacts anyway).

It would also confuse the rest of the product line. If I want a bigger screen, I'll just grab my iPad.

duneriderltr450
Oct 13, 2012, 02:15 PM
Holographic projector and optional $30 chip that gets implanted in your brain so you can control phone without touching it.

Alx9876
Oct 16, 2012, 03:26 AM

Apple failed at the iPhone 5. It is not the upgrade I have waited out patiently for the last two years. I am already looking elsewhere for the next two years.

I will not be nickeled and dimmed for something that is basically an iPhone 4 overclocked with a half a thumb more screen size.

Think outside the box and look at what Apple is really doing for a change. I feel cheated out of a well deserved upgrade.

Probably why Samsung ran with the original iPhone 5 prototype and gave the world the Galaxy S3.

Ayemerica
Oct 16, 2012, 04:32 AM
No offense but that's ugly. IMO.

Sir Ruben
Oct 16, 2012, 07:26 AM
Here is what you will get with the next iPhone, ready?

iPhone 5S

4" screen
Same aluminium unibody
iOS7 (will look 99.9% the same)
One main new feature (im guessing fingerprint reader/NFS combo)

Akash.B
Oct 16, 2012, 07:49 AM
Why would they increase the resolution to 1280x720? That would just fragment things even further, which Apple isn't a fan of. I think the current size and resolution are perfect. In fact, 3.5'' is adequate for most consumers anyway

Jimmy James
Oct 16, 2012, 08:43 AM
Wirelessly posted

I hope for a smaller body wrapped around a 3.5" screen. But that's just as unrealistic as your wishes.

Alx9876
Oct 16, 2012, 02:14 PM
You guys are delusional about the 3.5 inch screen.

That size is so small. I know for sure that if Apple brought out a 4.5 inch display+width you would all say how amazing the phone is, how much you love it, etc...

But we make a list of crap we want for the next major revision and you all are here saying how great the damn 3.5 inch display is.

I'm not buying any of that one bit. 4.8 = the new normal. Get with it Apple. What were getting here is a downgraded phone that you all think is the most amazing thing since sex.

It's not. It's still tooooooo small. I'm starting to think that with Steve Jobs gone now were destined to mediocre upgrades that will take the next 5 years to get a phone the size of the Galaxy S3 (2012) which btw is Apple's original iPhone 5 prototype.

waa1futs
Oct 16, 2012, 02:26 PM
With one caveat, the iPhone is a gaming beast but it would really shine if it had something like this...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703567677/icontrolpad-2-the-open-source-controller

The iPhone already has a great game controller that is MUCH better than that:
http://www.amazon.com/Gametel-Portable-Controller-Mobile-Tablets/dp/B006L2HBXA
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41UDQolzs5L._SS400_.jpg
The Gametel uses iCade technology so it works with all iCade compatible games + if you are jailbroken you can use it with Snes9x Ex, NES.emu, GBA.emu, and GBC.emu to play any number of old school console games like SuperMetroid, Legend of Zelda: A link to the past, Metroid Fusion, Golden Sun, Mario, etc.

Plus it is cheaper than the above option, has a MUCH better iPhone holder clip that can be tucked away if not in use unlike the above controller that has some awkward clip that is always sticking out.