Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webfilms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
I have a new wordpress install on a web page that was a redo of a site I created in dreamweaver. I deleted the index page with dreamweaver to get the wordpress install up and running. Now I'm concerned about my old site still being on the host computer as when you click on my photos page in wordpress a old page from my dreamweaver site appears as directory page. I deleted the photos page from the old web site but still have the problem. Is there a way to delete the old files without upsetting the files for my wordpress site. Thanks for the help.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Is there a way to delete the old files without upsetting the files for my wordpress site.
Yes, there is.

I'm not sure what you are looking for as an answer here. Without knowing your file structure we cannot give you safe advice as what to delete and what to save. Best bet would be to delete everything and reinstall. You can use a plugin to back up the wordpress database or do it manually. Then reinstall a base wordpress, setup the config page just like you did before, then upload the old database. Everything should be back in order.

To be honest there are tons of things that can go wrong here, so practice on a localsite on your computer first. Grab MAMP and install your site to that, delete it, then restore it for practice. That way you work out the kinks before trying it on a production site.

good luck

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Aren't all your old HTML files (assuming it was a static site) simply in the home directory where the WordPress site now is? It should be pretty straightforward to delete all the HTML files from that directory while not touching any of the WP files or folders.

nicksoper

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
Cape Town
Deleting files

Assuming you have an FTP client and know how to use it, this is what I would do if I were you:
  1. Download Wordpress Again from wordpress.org
  2. Upload the Wordpress FOLDER into the root of your website. Don't replace any files, upload the FOLDER. Call the folder "Wordpress"
  3. You should have a new FOLDER called "Wordpress" in the root of your website
  4. Create a new (empty) folder in the root called "Wordpress-old"
  5. Move everything in the root of your website into the "Wordpress-old" folder EXCEPT the "wp-content" folder and the "wp-config.php" file
  6. In the root of your website you should now have 4 items: 3 folders (Wordpress, Wordpress-old, wp-content) and a wp-config.php file.
  7. Go into your recently uploaded "Wordpress" folder and move all the files EXCEPT the wp-content folder into the root.

Otherwise you can delete any file or folder in the root that isn't listed below

Files

index.php
license.txt
readme.html
wp-activate.php
wp-app.php
wp-blog-header.php
wp-comments-post.php
wp-config-sample.php
wp-config.php
wp-cron.php
wp-links-opml.php
wp-load.php
wp-login.php
wp-mail.php
wp-pass.php
wp-register.php
wp-settings.php
wp-signup.php
wp-trackback.php
xmlrpc.php

Folders

wp-admin
wp-content
wp-includes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.