Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi folks,

For some reason, I can't make this work! I need to extract a single track from a demo Blu Ray movie. The demo is from a TV manufacturer and the entertainment shop has permission to create a blu ray with just this one track. Long story short: there's a track during the demo loop which is somewhat scary and it's being played to families. They can loop the right track, but with a power loss, it loops the entire disc.

I can extract the MKV from the BR no problem. I know which one it is. The problem is that I need to either create a full res .mov from it so I can drop into FCX to re-create a new single tracked BR or I need to extract that one track into an image from the BR to burn a seperate disc.

I saw DVDFab, but it's coughed up twice on me so I'm not using that. Not a good sign!

Is Toast Titanium with the BR plugin the way to go? I don't need all the extra software, but the Pro says it's got the blu ray plug in yet the regular version says it can burn blu rays too. confusing.

Cheers,
Keebler

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi folks,

For some reason, I can't make this work! I need to extract a single track from a demo Blu Ray movie. The demo is from a TV manufacturer and the entertainment shop has permission to create a blu ray with just this one track. Long story short: there's a track during the demo loop which is somewhat scary and it's being played to families. They can loop the right track, but with a power loss, it loops the entire disc.

I can extract the MKV from the BR no problem. I know which one it is. The problem is that I need to either create a full res .mov from it so I can drop into FCX to re-create a new single tracked BR or I need to extract that one track into an image from the BR to burn a seperate disc.

I saw DVDFab, but it's coughed up twice on me so I'm not using that. Not a good sign!

Is Toast Titanium with the BR plugin the way to go? I don't need all the extra software, but the Pro says it's got the blu ray plug in yet the regular version says it can burn blu rays too. confusing.

Cheers,
Keebler

So, you want to directly edit the contents of the streams in the MKV file? Why don't you just extract (demux) them into a H.264 file (which you can, then, put into a MOV / any other container) with avidemux / Subler / MKVtoolnix / MKVTools? The track (even with sound if you also de/remux it) could be directly imported to FCPX and cut there.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi,

Yes, I need to edit one of the tracks (there are about 30). I'll try the other tools. I've tried mkvtools but the resulting file can't be viewed - no sound or audio (I ensured they streams were checkmarked).

For one of the other tracks I need a straight burn to Blu-ray. I did manage to burn that with toast 11 but the Blu-ray was extremely choppy so I need to retry that today.

Cheers
Keebler

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
So, you want to directly edit the contents of the streams in the MKV file? Why don't you just extract (demux) them into a H.264 file (which you can, then, put into a MOV / any other container) with avidemux / Subler / MKVtoolnix / MKVTools? The track (even with sound if you also de/remux it) could be directly imported to FCPX and cut there.

oh my..I"m having issues lol

MKV Tools - i can create a file, but the file doesn't play in quicktime or VLC. it's there, but blank (it seems?) weird. I ensured the files were checkmarked too.

Subler - doesn't work for me
avidemux and mkvtoolnix are binaries and behind my capabilities. i know..that's brutal, but truthful. I don't understand it. I'm one of those who needs an interface lol

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
oh my..I"m having issues lol

MKV Tools - i can create a file, but the file doesn't play in quicktime or VLC. it's there, but blank (it seems?) weird. I ensured the files were checkmarked too.

Subler - doesn't work for me
avidemux and mkvtoolnix are binaries and behind my capabilities. i know..that's brutal, but truthful. I don't understand it. I'm one of those who needs an interface lol

So, let's get this straight: you want to convert your MKV's so that they're (preferably both the video and audio tracks) directly importable by FCPX? Then, you don't even need to extract these tracks one-by-one (to separate ones) - just use a MKV -> MP4 remuxer.

You stated Subler doesn't work for you. Did it display an error message? Now, try just opening the MKV and make sure you select the video and audio streams - but nothing else. (Don't select Blu-ray subs as they'll crash Subler.) Then, just save with Cmd + S and make sure you check in the upper "64 bit" checkbox.

Also, Avidemux 2.6 remuxes to MP4v2 files with both audio and video left as passthru. The resulting file imports to FCPX just fine. (Note that "Video only” / MP4 as output containers don't work.) avidemux 2.6 is available as a GUI-based binary for Windows ()works just fine in Parallels; prefer Win7x64 for the fastest processing) or, if you don't mind following a compilation tutorial, comparatively easy-to-install source package format for the Mac

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
So, let's get this straight: you want to convert your MKV's so that they're (preferably both the video and audio tracks) directly importable by FCPX? Then, you don't even need to extract these tracks one-by-one (to separate ones) - just use a MKV -> MP4 remuxer.

You stated Subler doesn't work for you. Did it display an error message? Now, try just opening the MKV and make sure you select the video and audio streams - but nothing else. (Don't select Blu-ray subs as they'll crash Subler.) Then, just save with Cmd + S and make sure you check in the upper "64 bit" checkbox.

Also, Avidemux 2.6 remuxes to MP4v2 files with both audio and video left as passthru. The resulting file imports to FCPX just fine. (Note that "Video only” / MP4 as output containers don't work.) avidemux 2.6 is available as a GUI-based binary for Windows ()works just fine in Parallels; prefer Win7x64 for the fastest processing) or, if you don't mind following a compilation tutorial, comparatively easy-to-install source package format for the Mac

Thanks.

Subler doesn't crash and I can add the files, checkmark the box, but once i run the queue...nothing seems to happen. It shows my file name with a red stop sign on one screen then shows Done near the bottom right, but when I check the file, it's under a MB in size.

I've used alot of software over the years so I must be doing something wrong or it just doesn't like me! lol

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks.

Subler doesn't crash and I can add the files, checkmark the box, but once i run the queue...nothing seems to happen. It shows my file name with a red stop sign on one screen then shows Done near the bottom right, but when I check the file, it's under a MB in size.

The problem might be that you're using the queue in Subler, which isn't as robust as converting files without queue. Do the same but, now, save the file instantly to see what happens.

Addendum: I've even dedicated a section to the problems of Subler's queue in an article dedicated to queuing in Subler. Let me paste it here:

Dragging the source MKV files into the queue directly

Should you just display the queue (see the above-mentioned Window > Show Queue), you can directly drop MKV files on it. It's easier but has some problems.

Problems compared to the manually opening + enqueuing approach:

- DTS audio tracks are passed thru to the output MP4 file and aren't converted to AAC, as opposed to the default conversion in the other, manual modes. This won't cause problems for desktop players like VLC but neither iTunes nor, albeit you'll be able to synchronize the videos to them, iOS devices (including the Apple TV) won't play this audio track at all – all you'll hear will be silence. (Note that I'll elaborate on handling the native Blue-Ray audio track formats, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD HR / MA and LPCM (more info HERE), in a later article.)

- MKV files with graphical subtitles like native Blue-Ray subs (bdpg) will be tried to be converted with the subtitles passed thru; of course, this will fail. (This is why dragging the above-mentioned Iron Sky trailer into the queue will eventually result in a useless “remuxed” file.) There is no way of making Subler not try to process these incompatible subtitles.

- the “ready” icons will always be the same for all the files - for non-converted files as well. Fortunately, you'll always be able to quickly find out which files haven't been converted by just sorting the output files by size. The ones under around 1 kBytes will all be non-converted.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
The problem might be that you're using the queue in Subler, which isn't as robust as converting files without queue. Do the same but, now, save the file instantly to see what happens.

Addendum: I've even dedicated a section to the problems of Subler's queue in an article dedicated to queuing in Subler. Let me paste it here:

Dragging the source MKV files into the queue directly

Should you just display the queue (see the above-mentioned Window > Show Queue), you can directly drop MKV files on it. It's easier but has some problems.

Problems compared to the manually opening + enqueuing approach:

- DTS audio tracks are passed thru to the output MP4 file and aren't converted to AAC, as opposed to the default conversion in the other, manual modes. This won't cause problems for desktop players like VLC but neither iTunes nor, albeit you'll be able to synchronize the videos to them, iOS devices (including the Apple TV) won't play this audio track at all – all you'll hear will be silence. (Note that I'll elaborate on handling the native Blue-Ray audio track formats, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD HR / MA and LPCM (more info HERE), in a later article.)

- MKV files with graphical subtitles like native Blue-Ray subs (bdpg) will be tried to be converted with the subtitles passed thru; of course, this will fail. (This is why dragging the above-mentioned Iron Sky trailer into the queue will eventually result in a useless “remuxed” file.) There is no way of making Subler not try to process these incompatible subtitles.

- the “ready” icons will always be the same for all the files - for non-converted files as well. Fortunately, you'll always be able to quickly find out which files haven't been converted by just sorting the output files by size. The ones under around 1 kBytes will all be non-converted.

Thanks! That worked! wuhoo!

The file is now in FCX and in a timeline rendering (which is taking forever - even with 12 core 2.66 and 32 GB ram :(

Another issue, which I think may be related to the fact I don't own an external monitoring source - the playback in FCX (once it renders a bit), shows flashes of green?

I'm dropped the m4v right into compressor and will report back on the burn to a blu ray.

Thanks again!
Keebler

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks! That worked! wuhoo!

The file is now in FCX and in a timeline rendering (which is taking forever - even with 12 core 2.66 and 32 GB ram :(

Another issue, which I think may be related to the fact I don't own an external monitoring source - the playback in FCX (once it renders a bit), shows flashes of green?

I'm dropped the m4v right into compressor and will report back on the burn to a blu ray.

Thanks again!
Keebler

Glad it worked :)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Glad it worked :)

Well, the file does look fantastic on my screen, but I've tried burning through Compressor and Toast 11 to BR.

Both discs have slight pixelations periodically. I don't get it. The quality settings are high, fps in FCX changed to 59.94 and still...

Very odd considering the actual file plays perfect in Quicktime, VLC etc...

Normally, I would accept this as there is compression involved, but this is going to a lottery house on behalf of the audio/video company showcasing their home theatre so it has to be perfect.

I took the file and dropped it right into compressor, changed the settings to 59.94 and away it went.

I also took the file and dropped it into fcx and it created the right sequence 1920x180 @ 59.94, BUT it's just under half way rendered (so at the 2 minute mark of this just under 5 minute video). I left it all night! :eek:
On a 12 core 2.66 with 32 GB and loads of hard drive space.

Not only that, FCX seems to be very fussy and crashes often if I scroll across the timeline too fast. It's really struggling with this file. Maybe b/c it's 59.94 fps? I've had other HD footage and it's been fine.

For the rendered part, even on playback, I get a green flickering, but I believe that might be due to not playing back on a proper external monitor.

I wanted it to render so I could try a blu ray burn from that method.

I've also used MPEG Streamclip to create a prores file, but the same pixelations occur.
Will try changing the extension to .mov then dropping in FCX to see if that helps.
Cheers,
Keebler

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.