Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, at least in the past, original Windows installation disc was required to install Windows on Bootcamp. A copied one did not work. How about now? I have heard that MacBook Air users can install windows using a USB flash drive. So, even a copied version might work. Am I right? Bootcamp does not check that the installation disc is original anymore?

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
It has never cared that it was not copied. Because that isn't what matters. You can install it from a burned ISO even as long as your License is valid (cd-key) Windows will activate itself.

I always buy online from Microsoft and just download the ISO and burn myself.

If your intent is to steal software then, no you will not be able to activate your copy of windows because the cd-key will not be valid. This is in no way related to installing windows on a mac, this would also happen on a PC.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
It has never cared that it was not copied. Because that isn't what matters. You can install it from a burned ISO even as long as your License is valid (cd-key) Windows will activate itself.

I always buy online from Microsoft and just download the ISO and burn myself.

If your intent is to steal software then, no you will not be able to activate your copy of windows because the cd-key will not be valid. This is in no way related to installing windows on a mac, this would also happen on a PC.

I moved to another country. My original Windows disc is at home with my parents. Before I left, I copied all the original discs into a portable hard drive. Will that work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.