Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
So, with all the huge number of threads and news articles about how easy it is to ding or scratch the iPhone 5, it occurred to me that the Nokia Lumina's are way better designed. They can take dings and scratches and not look like a POS after a week. Since the Lumina's are made for polycarbonate that is colored all the way through the material, scratches don't uglify the phone, unlike the iPhone 5.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
It's Lumia, not Lumina! A Lumina is an ugly car :)

Nokia's are known for strong construction quality and being able to take a beating.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
So, with all the huge number of threads and news articles about how easy it is to ding or scratch the iPhone 5, it occurred to me that the Nokia Lumina's are way better designed. They can take dings and scratches and not look like a POS after a week. Since the Lumina's are made for polycarbonate that is colored all the way through the material, scratches don't uglify the phone, unlike the iPhone 5.

o_O

ok

I had a Lumia 900, they also scratch and so did my previous 4 iPhones, Motorola Razr and Slvr and my Nokia flip phone from 2005, its a fact of life.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
o_O

ok

I had a Lumia 900, they also scratch and so did my previous 4 iPhones, Motorola Razr and Slvr and my Nokia flip phone from 2005, its a fact of life.

A scratched Lumia looks infinitely better than a scratched iPhone 5 since the Lumia casing is colored all the way through instead of just a thin layer of coloring on the iPhone 5. I don't even think the iPhone 5 aluminum is even heat hardened.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Be sure to go to an AT&T store that has a Lumia on display and check out the horrible screen burn in image.

UFBoy2323

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
You should deff get a Lumia then. That way you'll be eating your foot weeks later wishing you had the iP5.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
It's Lumia, not Lumina! A Lumina is an ugly car :)

Nokia's are known for strong construction quality and being able to take a beating.

Fittingly, in a thread about build quality, the Lumina boasted terrible build quality. Man, the crap GM churned out all through the 90's and early 2000's still boggles my mind. I can't believe anybody bought their cars over the Japanese imports.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Yeah but you end up with a phone made of cheap plastic running windows.

You could just get an iPhone and be careful.

You mean the iPhone 5 that is made of the same thing that pop cans are made from on the cheap? With maps that don't work?

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I have no idea why people are trying to convince you of anything. If you want a Lumia, go get one.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
For me the only downside of the new Lumia is the glossy finish as opposed to the matte finish of the old N9/Lumia 800

As for the negative comments about Windows Phone from some peeps, well I can only imagine its based on ignorant zealots who have never even tried the OS. Currently windows phone is a very well engineered piece of software, that makes considerable attempts to deliver a very smooth user experience on hardware that both iOS 6 and more over Android would find antiquated.

A huge amount of optimisation is involved, and Microsoft have done something Google Android should have done from day 1, and that's insist on standardising hardware SKU so that user experience is not hindered by fragmented hardware specifications.

Currently the Lumia 920 is looking like a very good device, that both Apple and Google would benefit greatly from taking note of.

Just hating a device because it has association with Microsoft is puerile.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
For me the only downside of the new Lumia is the glossy finish as opposed to the matte finish of the old N9/Lumia 800

As for the negative comments about Windows Phone from some peeps, well I can only imagine its based on ignorant zealots who have never even tried the OS. Currently windows phone is a very well engineered piece of software, that makes considerable attempts to deliver a very smooth user experience on hardware that both iOS 6 and more over Android would find antiquated.

A huge amount of optimisation is involved, and Microsoft have done something Google Android should have done from day 1, and that's insist on standardising hardware SKU so that user experience is not hindered by fragmented hardware specifications.

Currently the Lumia 920 is looking like a very good device, that both Apple and Google would benefit greatly from taking note of.

Though I agree with what you said, I had the Lumia 900 and when my 30 days was approaching I decided to sit down (figuratively) and take a look at what it really had to offer.

The Lumia 900 was a nice piece of Hardware joined with a nice piece of Software, but knowing that the Lumia 900 was just released in April and its already considered obsolete (not even Android phones are phased out this quickly) and would not receive a Software update after 7.8, I started to think if I can really be happy with the current device for the next 24 months as is. The UI is awesome and the way it flows is really nice, I loved it, but the app selection is just not there and the Camera had a lot to be desired.

Well the Lumia 920 was just announced so I decided to take a look at what that phone had to offer, as well as Windows Phone 8. No release date, no pricing or carriers and Microsoft hasn't even put out an SDk yet to allow developers to start building apps for the new OS.

I really wanted to give Windows Phone a chance, I really like it but with the Lumia 900 being obsolete and the Lumia 920 having no official release date (rumored for a Nov release), the iPhone 5 was released at the right moment.

1 (of many) things that these companies need to change is to stop announcing new devices without have a release date set, this is something Apple does well, they announce a new product and its on selves (though not for long at they rate they sell) in just a week or two.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I do fear for the new shinier finish of the new Lumias. The likes of the HTC One X and older matte Lumia 800/900 look like they could be a bit more durable due to the matte finish possibly hiding scratches easier.

Good thing is, the Lumia is only a cover change away from looking like a new phone thanks to the interchangeable covers.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Though I agree with what you said, I had the Lumia 900 and when my 30 days was approaching I decided to sit down (figuratively) and take a look at what it really had to offer.

The Lumia 900 was a nice piece of Hardware joined with a nice piece of Software, but knowing that the Lumia 900 was just released in April and its already considered obsolete (not even Android phones are phased out this quickly) and would not receive a Software update after 7.8, I started to think if I can really be happy with the current device for the next 24 months as is. The UI is awesome and the way it flows is really nice, I loved it, but the app selection is just not there and the Camera had a lot to be desired.

Well the Lumia 920 was just announced so I decided to take a look at what that phone had to offer, as well as Windows Phone 8. No release date, no pricing or carriers and Microsoft hasn't even put out an SDk yet to allow developers to start building apps for the new OS.

I really wanted to give Windows Phone a chance, I really like it but with the Lumia 900 being obsolete and the Lumia 920 having no official release date (rumored for a Nov release), the iPhone 5 was released at the right moment.

1 (of many) things that these companies need to change is to stop announcing new devices without have a release date set, this is something Apple does well, they announce a new product and its on selves (though not for long at they rate they sell) in just a week or two.

I agree with everything you have said too.

Re: Lumia specifically, I think bad timing is to play a big part.

The Lumia 800 was launched in October 2011, but the 900 (mostly made as a concession to the USA market as they thought the smaller 800 minus front facing camera would not fare well) was as you say not released till April.

Both the Lumia models were late to the game in regards to windows phone 7, with other handsets that match or have similar specs have been juicing windows 7, 7.5 and the last released for them 7.8 (coming very soon) for nearly 18-24 months. (released october 2010) so like I say its not so much microsoft have rushed a new release leaving these obsolete (which they aren't really) - its just a case that the Lumia deal came a bit late in the lifespan of Windows phone 7.

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK

IIRC the red, yellow and white finishes are glossy. The black and grey are matte. I know the white 800 and 900 look great, so I'll reserve judgement until I see red and yellow 920 in the flesh. I know the matte black will appeal to me (already an owner of a black 800), but the matte grey or glossy red may well be on the cards. :D

Nokia's Lumia 800, 900 and now 920 are astonishingly well-built bits of kit. The 800 tempted me away from my iPhone 4, and the 920 is a likely successor (depending on how I can handle the screen size*).

* Though it is worth noting that Windows Phone interactions use buttons at the bottom and swipes for navigating content, whereas many iOS apps are heavily reliant on 'back' buttons in the top left corner. So even with the larger display, the clever decisions by Microsoft might allow for an even easier thumb use than I did on my iPhone 4.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
IIRC the red, yellow and white finishes are glossy. The black and grey are matte. .

That's good to know. The matte finish on my old Lumia 800 and N9 were lovely.

I loved N9 the 4" screen in a device pretty much same size as my iPhone was a real sweet spot. Felt with the Lumia 800 they could have kept the 4" screen if they had moved the capacitive buttons further down.

The 4.6" of the Lumia 900 seemed to big for me, though I have a HTC One X now so I'm used to bigger sizes now, so the 920 isn't as terrifying :)

Still think a smaller device with 4" screen is better for texting one handed. Often find myself missing letters or accidentally exiting my keyboard on the one X when I try to text one handed...

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Be sure to go to an AT&T store that has a Lumia on display and check out the horrible screen burn in image.

The new lumia 920 used an 4.5 in LCD screen with a higher resolution and higher pixel density and faster frame rate and gorilla glass 2 and better brightness AND super sensitive touch allowing you to use gloves or a pen or hell even a fork if you want to. That burn in is a problem of the past thank goodness. All of these theoretically make this screen better than iPhone 5. I can't wait to try it. :)

----------

The main reason I would NEVER go with an amoled device :eek:

See above :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.