PDA

View Full Version : Do you use your first name or first and last name for your Mac's name?

macuser1232
Sep 29, 2012, 09:06 PM
Is your name in the finder just your first name or is it your first and last name?

SandboxGeneral
Sep 29, 2012, 09:07 PM
I use my two first initials and last name.

Mr. McMac
Sep 29, 2012, 09:11 PM
I use my first and last name..

colloc
Sep 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
I don't see the purpose of this thread...

GGJstudios
Sep 29, 2012, 09:22 PM
This is true of many pointless threads.

macuser1232
Sep 29, 2012, 10:26 PM
Does there have to be a purpose?

Blaine
Sep 29, 2012, 10:27 PM

Yeah. I don't get it either. :S

Krazy Bill
Sep 29, 2012, 10:35 PM
I don't know what's more disturbing... the reason this poll exists or those that are actually answering it? :eek:

OP: Once all the results are tabulated, what in gods name will you (or anyone else) do with this information?

laudern
Sep 30, 2012, 01:44 AM
I voted for first name and last name. But prior to my recent format, I had only used my first name...So just be aware of this when reading the results

SR45
Sep 30, 2012, 06:55 AM
This is true of many pointless threads.

You have to consider the source that makes such threads. I bet the age has something to do with it. ;)

AlanShutko
Sep 30, 2012, 07:47 AM
I don't use either. I name my Mac something vaguely connect. My first Macbook Air was Amelia (for AIRhart).

CocoSS
Sep 30, 2012, 07:56 AM
Maybe, based on what you vote, the asker will start building a profile so you can realize what person you are.

fivenotrump
Sep 30, 2012, 09:59 AM
https://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2100.txt

Sep 30, 2012, 11:25 AM
Great thread OP.. Why do you care?!

Mr. McMac
Sep 30, 2012, 11:29 AM
Great thread OP.. Why do you care?!

I'm trying to figure out why I answered. lol!

AlphaDogg
Sep 30, 2012, 11:30 AM
Neither. I called my MBP homestarrunner.

Strong Bad FTW!

Sep 30, 2012, 11:34 AM
I'm trying to figure out why I answered. lol!

Seems a bit dodgy to me.. OP asking personal details, etc

iThinkergoiMac
Sep 30, 2012, 11:37 AM

FWIW, OP isn't asking what you named your computer, just how. Of course, OP is also assuming you use your name in said name, which I don't. Not really asking for personal details.

Pointless, but it's completely your decision to answer or not. If you don't want to answer, why do you feel the need to complain? Takes the same amount of time either way...

Sep 30, 2012, 11:47 AM
FWIW, OP isn't asking what you named your computer, just how. Of course, OP is also assuming you use your name in said name, which I don't. Not really asking for personal details.

Pointless, but it's completely your decision to answer or not. If you don't want to answer, why do you feel the need to complain? Takes the same amount of time either way...

Just getting others opinions on the OP's intentions here

If you don't like that feel free to complain... or not

iThinkergoiMac
Sep 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
Just getting others opinions on the OP's intentions here

You're claiming that OP is asking for personal information. I'd like to know how exactly what OP is asking for is personal. It's anonymous data...

elchemor
Sep 30, 2012, 11:54 AM
i name my personal Mac as "Mac" or MBP MacMini etc...
at work we use parts of the serial number in the name to be able to identify each easily.

Zwhaler
Sep 30, 2012, 12:41 PM
Neither. I use my MR/YouTube username.

Sep 30, 2012, 12:52 PM
You're claiming that OP is asking for personal information. I'd like to know how exactly what OP is asking for is personal. It's anonymous data...

I'm not claiming anything... Just asking what his intentions are and discussing with other forum members

Please read a thread fully before commenting.

RMo
Sep 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
I don't even know if the OP is talking about your username or the computer's (host) name. In any case, my username is an old nickname, and my computer's name is an elaborate and appropriately named sequence. :)

iThinkergoiMac
Sep 30, 2012, 01:28 PM
I'm not claiming anything... Just asking what his intentions are and discussing with other forum members

Please read a thread fully before commenting.

I have read every post in this thread. You didn't ask a question, you made a statement, so that's how I interpreted it. THIS is asking what OP's intentions are:

OP: Once all the results are tabulated, what in gods name will you (or anyone else) do with this information?

THIS is making a statement:

You're absolutely claiming that OP is asking for personal details right there, and I'm trying to figure out what about what OP is asking you think includes personal details. So, I ask you: what about what OP is asking includes personal details?

Sep 30, 2012, 01:42 PM
I have read every post in this thread. You didn't ask a question, you made a statement, so that's how I interpreted it. THIS is asking what OP's intentions are:

THIS is making a statement:

You're absolutely claiming that OP is asking for personal details right there, and I'm trying to figure out what about what OP is asking you think includes personal details. So, I ask you: what about what OP is asking includes personal details?

You appear to be quite upset and i do not appreciate your aggressive manner.

Please do not send me any further messages.

Have a nice evening.

macuser1232
Oct 1, 2012, 06:37 PM
Well looks like first names are more popular.

macuser1232
Oct 1, 2012, 07:18 PM
Of course right when I say that someone votes for first and last name...

doh123
Oct 1, 2012, 08:01 PM
Your computer name isn't your user name!!!!

I have 3 main Macs I use.. my main user name in all 3 are "doh123" but I have other testing accounts, and all 3 computers have different names so I know what they are on the network... Zzyyxx, Optimus, and Skyfire... easier to tell what machine it is over the network with a good computer name, but I don't see how anyone would mix that up with a user name.

DollFaceDork
Oct 1, 2012, 08:05 PM
Neither...

I use part of my first name with another word which makes it rhyme.

It's an annoying family nickname for me.

https://img.skitch.com/20121002-qybis2rr5jddqycwksx8ak34p9.preview.jpg (https://skitch.com/kookycadence/esjdp/systemuiserver)Click for large view (https://skitch.com/kookycadence/esjdp/systemuiserver) - Uploaded with Skitch (http://skitch.com)

mmomega
Oct 1, 2012, 08:07 PM
I use my First and Middle initials then the name of the computer.

Ex: DJ's iMac, Dj's Macbook Air, etc.

Woooo-sah people the OP isn't asking for your SSN#

Krazy Bill
Oct 1, 2012, 10:33 PM
To everyone responding in this thread.... nobody really cares how you spell the name of your mac. Seriously.

macuser1232
Oct 2, 2012, 06:12 AM
To everyone responding in this thread.... nobody really cares how you spell the name of your mac. Seriously.

Just like nobody cares about your comment.

fiveainone
Oct 2, 2012, 06:28 PM
My name... is Administrator. ;)

phyrexia
Oct 2, 2012, 07:33 PM
my username is 'vwilson' to match my other machines. My MBP's name is hypnotoad.