Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danz207

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Austrayaa Mate!!
Hello,
Just picked up (my first) Macbook off of eBay for $490(!!) but it comes with Tiger 10.5.4 and the max it can support (according to wikipedia :D) is 10.8.
So i thought, why not jump the gun and upgrade to it so i can keep it like that forever but (stupid me) just sold my only 10.6.3 Snow Leopard disc so i have no way of getting the app store.
My friend has a Mac aswell and said he'd let me create a (temporary) account to buy and download 10.8 so that i can create a bootable USB or DVD of it but i'm a bit concerned:
For starters, i want to erase the hard drive and write a few 'zero's' over it so there is no trace of data on it (was an Ex-lease Mac) and do a fresh install of 10.8 but i'm scared that the installation might not work and then i have a blank hard drive.
And firstly, is it even possible to install 10.8 over 10.5.4 (after erasing hard drive? <--- Im 99.99% sure that was a stupid question and that i can, but a mac is a whole new world for a PC man.

Thanks in advanced, Danz207

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
First of all, 10.5.4 would be Leopard. Secondly you have to upgrade your Mac to 10.6 (Snow Leopard) before you can upgrade to Lion or Mountain Lion. The only really practical way to skip installing Snow Leopard would be to use Target Disk Mode.

wondersreduced

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
10.6 upgrade is $19.99 from 1-800-MY-APPLE

10.6 upgrade is $19.99 from 1-800-MY-APPLE.

I've heard that higher upgrades are the same price.

It is strange to see them selling for so much everywhere else, yet Apple doesn't want to do a solid favor for it's loyal customers and advertise the actual price

Last edited:

aishazoe

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
10.6 upgrade is $19.99 from 1-800-MY-APPLE.

I've heard that higher upgrades are the same price.

It is strange to see them selling for so much everywhere else, yet Apple doesn't want to do a solid favor for it's loyal customers and advertise the actual price.

Where / how, please? Called up 1800 My Apple and they said they don't have any in stock. Is there a department I should request?

Thanks!

[I'm a n00b lurker]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.