PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharged MPEG audio on the way

vniow
Nov 19, 2002, 08:27 PM
A key multimedia-standards body is close to approving a digital-audio proposal that promises digital music in smaller files, with no significant loss in quality.

Last month, the section of the Moving Picture Experts Group responsible for the digital-audio portion of the sprawling MPEG-4 digital-media standard said it was recommending an addition to its existing audio guidelines. The new proposal, using technology from Swedish company Coding Technologies, would let digital-audio data be compressed into files half the size of what they would have been using the most recent set of standards--without a perceptible dip in sound quality. (http://news.com.com/2100-1023-966471.html?tag=fd_top)

Please, please kick WMV9's ass.

Rower_CPU
Nov 19, 2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by edvniow
Please, please kick WMV9's ass.

I second that plea...:D

FelixDerKater
Nov 19, 2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

I second that plea...:D

I'll vote for that. Anything that keeps use away from Windows Media is wonderful.

solvs
Nov 20, 2002, 12:07 AM
Oh, but WMP has so many features that the others don't. Like, um, uh...

Well...

It does have all of those security features (okay, technically there are some privacy issues. And it's not really that secure. And actually it has all sorts of problems. And, well you get the idea).

And it has such low, crappy, buggy compression.

And it's proprietary. That has to be good for somebody.

And trying to uninstall it screws up your computer.

Oh... wait. I guess WMP isn't so good. Damn M$.

(this post was sarcasm BTW, in case you couldn't tell)

barkmonster
Nov 20, 2002, 04:28 AM
Now I've heard AAC at 192Kbps compared with MP3 at 320Kbps I think it would take some very intelligent compression to be able to match 192Kbps AAC at 96Kbps.

This compression sounds like an extension to the MPEG-4 standard, this could mean we'll be seeing in quicktime sometime soon and be able to compare for ourselves instead of beleiving the hype.

AAC was totally over rated, they neglected to mention that anything less than 128Kbps, even in mono is under 44.1Khz and certainly isn't the low bandwidth, high quality codec apple said it was. It does beat mp3 at 128Kbps+ though.