PDA

View Full Version : Genius Bar Repairs / Inspections

rockthecasbah
Aug 26, 2005, 08:04 AM
The Story
hello, 'tis a sad day in the Eisenberg household...we are iPod-less. Rather I am, nobody else touches my baby! Anyway, my 1 yr warranty was about to expire and a battery issue just arose where there would be about 3/4 battery left and the iPod sent up a message saying there was no battery left, even though there was. The first time i couldn't get it to turn on and it made beeping sounds, then yesterday it did it again and i just reset it and it worked normally. I called Apple and they said to bring it to the store while im still under warranty for inspection.

The Question(s)
Now here's the question: Has anybody had personal experience with the repairs/inspections the stores do? Do you know if an issue with the iPod is found, the likelihood of me receiving a new replacement / fixed up iPod? Also, if they give me a different iPod, will it be the same kind as mine (4th gen 20gb clickwheel monochrome)? I heard from other sources they give you a new one of whatever the current model is, meaning a color 20gb...

Applespider
Aug 26, 2005, 08:14 AM
You're very very unlikely to get a new model one. They appear to have vast stockpiles of refurbed iPods of previous generations.

I took my 40GB 4G iPod into the Genius Bar a couple of weeks before my warranty died. They had a look at it and tried restoring etc but took my word that it was an ongoing problem and just swapped it out for a 'new' 40GB monochrome iPod. You'll get an extra 90 day warranty on the replaced one too (or the length of your current warranty whichever is longer)

AoWolf
Aug 26, 2005, 09:48 AM
I doubt they will give you a new one but you never know. From my experience the people at the genius bar are just great. Once I came in because I ruined the power charger on my iBook it was my fault but they still repaired it for free because I didn't lie or scream at them...

XNine
Aug 26, 2005, 09:56 AM
Your battery problem has been seen by many Geniuses before, and 90% of the time its a software conflict. That is, the iTunes version you may be on may not be completely compatible with the iPod software you are running, causing glitches such as this one.

Be sure, before you take it into them, that all software (itunes and ipod) are up to date. If the problem still persists, take it in. You are at a 99% chance of NOT getting a new model. IF it's a battery problem, they will replace the battery.

Look forward for up to a 10 day turn around on this. Parts are scarce some times.

mrgreen4242
Aug 26, 2005, 10:15 AM
Your battery problem has been seen by many Geniuses before, and 90% of the time its a software conflict. That is, the iTunes version you may be on may not be completely compatible with the iPod software you are running, causing glitches such as this one.

Be sure, before you take it into them, that all software (itunes and ipod) are up to date. If the problem still persists, take it in. You are at a 99% chance of NOT getting a new model. IF it's a battery problem, they will replace the battery.

Look forward for up to a 10 day turn around on this. Parts are scarce some times.

While I don't know anything about the iTunes/iPod software conflicts, and I agree that they probably won't give you a new iPod, I can say fairly confidently, that they won't replace the battery on his iPod and give it back. They will just take the old one, test it, and send a matching refurb unit out to him. Small difference, but one none the less. :)

I suppose that if they didn't have any models that matched his (unlikely as it is for a 20gb 4G monochrome model) they would probably send him something similar butnot 'worse'. (So no 20gb 3G, but maybe 40gb 4G or a 20gb photo). Again, they must have 10,000's of refurb and old stock 4G monochrome models laying around in a warehouse somewhere.

debroglie
Aug 26, 2005, 10:48 AM
My friend just brought his 20GB monochrome in for battery replacement. The genius bar guy was great and friendly, but they would not even let my friend pay to upgrade to a color after they said that they'd give him a new ipod.

At this store they had loads of shrink-wrapped old stock ipods that they replace your iPod with, and there is no chance of upgrade.

mrgreen4242
Aug 26, 2005, 11:28 AM
My friend just brought his 20GB monochrome in for battery replacement. The genius bar guy was great and friendly, but they would not even let my friend pay to upgrade to a color after they said that they'd give him a new ipod.

At this store they had loads of shrink-wrapped old stock ipods that they replace your iPod with, and there is no chance of upgrade.

I'm in MI also, did he goto the GR Apple store or one of the ones down in the Detoit area (Novi and Southfield)? I need to bring my mini in for some warranty work, so was just wondering where he had such ease getting a replacement! :)

debroglie
Aug 26, 2005, 11:40 AM
I'm in MI also, did he goto the GR Apple store or one of the ones down in the Detoit area (Novi and Southfield)? I need to bring my mini in for some warranty work, so was just wondering where he had such ease getting a replacement! :)

The new Woodland GR store. The Genius guys there were great.

MacinTodd
Aug 26, 2005, 12:27 PM
The Story
hello, 'tis a sad day in the Eisenberg household...we are iPod-less. Rather I am, nobody else touches my baby! Anyway, my 1 yr warranty was about to expire and a battery issue just arose where there would be about 3/4 battery left and the iPod sent up a message saying there was no battery left, even though there was. The first time i couldn't get it to turn on and it made beeping sounds, then yesterday it did it again and i just reset it and it worked normally. I called Apple and they said to bring it to the store while im still under warranty for inspection.

The Question(s)
Now here's the question: Has anybody had personal experience with the repairs/inspections the stores do? Do you know if an issue with the iPod is found, the likelihood of me receiving a new replacement / fixed up iPod? Also, if they give me a different iPod, will it be the same kind as mine (4th gen 20gb clickwheel monochrome)? I heard from other sources they give you a new one of whatever the current model is, meaning a color 20gb...

When my 40 gb 4th Gen monochrome iPod died, I took it in to the genius bar in cincinnati, and they replaced it with no questions asked. They said that it is easy for them to take the iPod apart to change parts and such, but getting them back together is the tough part.

Also, when I asked about bumping up to a 60GB color ipod, they said it usually comes down to remaning stock of your current ipod, and then it is at the manager's discretion, since Apple Retail is seperate from Apple Computer. Good luck!

-Todd

rockthecasbah
Aug 26, 2005, 03:57 PM

I do have everything up to date and i even tried restoring the iPod, it still didn't work. I took it in yesterday so i guess we'll see what happens..they say about 4 days until i'll have my (an) iPod back, meaning around Tuesday US time. *crosses fingers*

rockthecasbah
Aug 27, 2005, 07:43 PM
Just got a message from my brother today saying that the Apple store called and my battery WAS broken.. he said they were ordering a 'replacement' and were awaiting that...so i assume they are just going to replace the battery. Does that mean they would be the better batteries that are in the photos or the same '12 hour' one that was in the 4th gen monochromes?

rockthecasbah
Aug 29, 2005, 09:14 PM
My prayers have been answered and my replacement iPod is now in my arms! A refurbed 4th gen grayscale as expected, but its entirely refurbed and not mine with a new battery..yay. :)