PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy Note 2 - Absolutely Amazing

Pages : [1] 2 3

KnightMan
Oct 1, 2012, 01:07 AM
I've now narrowed my choices down to the GS3, Note 2, and a Windows Phone 8 device. So while still doing my research into picking my next device I came upon this video from Samsung for the Note 2. This thing is truly amazing and what I would call a game changer. I'm not surprised the first Note sold so well for a device of it's size, and I can only think the Note 2 will sell even better. I never thought I'd even be interested in something like this. But I can honestly say, after watching the video and seeing the software features this thing has, I'm HYPED to try one out!!! Love the Air View and Multi Window features just to mention a few. Check out the VIDEO. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8bKvj1ZlsE)

Bravo Samsung! Truly Innovative on both Hardware and Software.

MacRumorUser
Oct 1, 2012, 01:18 AM
It's a classy device alright but the size is still what polarises people. For me it's just that too big for me (at least the original galaxy note was) that I just didn't feel comfortable using one.

Even though I now have a One X, I feel at times that it is a tad too big ergonomically for me, this (note2) being nearly an inch bigger again puts it just out of a practicality zone. I'd rather a 4-4.5" device as a phone and a 7"+ device for all the other stuff. (I would have actually bought a One S for size but got offered a one x cheaper than a one s)

For me, like many the size puts it in a bracket where it just fals between pillar and post, even though I do think its a really fine looking device.

TPadden
Oct 1, 2012, 10:38 AM
....Even though I now have a One X, I feel at times that it is a tad too big ergonomically for me, this (note2) being nearly an inch bigger again puts it just out of a practicality zone......

...... and another amazing Android device is the Razr Maxx ...... the battery alone is worth the size, which I'm now used to. Even with Verizon 4G mine lasts more than 2 days. Best $49 I've ever spent on a phone :D.

dojoman
Oct 1, 2012, 11:09 AM
Stylus LMAO!!!

nuckinfutz
Oct 1, 2012, 11:36 AM
LOL

You are not a man if you walk around with a Galaxy note.

TPadden
Oct 1, 2012, 11:38 AM
......You are not a man if you walk around with a Galaxy note.

..... but can a transsexual be gay????? :confused:

nuckinfutz
Oct 1, 2012, 11:56 AM
..... but can a transsexual be gay????? :confused:

Mea culpa you're right.

The Galaxy Note is like a VW Cabriolet. To the average man it's likely desirable at some level but when 7 out of 10 owners of the VW Cab are women it's pretty clear it's a woman's car overall.

The Galaxy Note is the Cabrio of smartphones. Women love it because they have handbags and it's easy to see because it's huge. Unless you carry a murse it's not likely the right pone for the average male that needs to slide it in the back pocket.

rmhop81
Oct 1, 2012, 12:10 PM
Mea culpa you're right.

The Galaxy Note is like a VW Cabriolet. To the average man it's likely desirable at some level but when 7 out of 10 owners of the VW Cab are women it's pretty clear it's a woman's car overall.

The Galaxy Note is the Cabrio of smartphones. Women love it because they have handbags and it's easy to see because it's huge. Unless you carry a murse it's not likely the right pone for the average male that needs to slide it in the back pocket.
unless you're a male that wears skinny jeans then i don't see the problem.

TPadden
Oct 1, 2012, 12:27 PM
Puts the Razr Maxx somewhere in the middle (but closer to the iPhone):

iPhone 5 vs Razr Maxx vs Galaxy Note
display 4" vs 4.3" vs 5.5"
size 4.87" vs 5.19" vs 5.94"

Still wouldn't put it in a back pocket :).

ixodes
Oct 1, 2012, 12:37 PM
I've now narrowed my choices down to the GS3, Note 2, and a Windows Phone 8 device. So while still doing my research into picking my next device I came upon this video from Samsung for the Note 2. This thing is truly amazing and what I would call a game changer.

I am very impressed with the progress of the Android OS from day one until now. I bought one of the first from T-Mobile, and have purchased at least one new HTC or Samsung S series at each refresh.

The Galaxy S line in particular have been just stellar. While the earlier versions of Android had some bugs and annoyances, that's in the past now.

Jelly Bean 4.1.x is simply outstanding.
Perfect? No,
Excellent? Yes!

Like any other OS there's always improvements to be made and little bugs to be resolved but overall I'm very happy with my Nexus and my SGS III.

The Galaxy Note series are ideal for those who benefit from their size and capabilities. I give Samsung a lot of credit for taking the risk to go to that size. It just proves the market studies do have their benefits, as that's what Samsung relied upon heavily to make their decision.

At the end of the day, I'm finding that running an iPhone and Galaxy phone is the best possible combination for me. I get to keep current on both, and that keeps me from getting bored with the rather simple, yet highly satisfying iOS platform.

3bs
Oct 1, 2012, 01:35 PM
LOL

I disagree. While I find that the Note and Note II are too big for me it wouldn't make me any less of a man if I had one. My brother has a Note and his jeans are no where near skinny jeans. I don't put my phone in my back pocket anyway, I use the front one. Don't wanna risk sitting on it by mistake.

zbarvian
Oct 1, 2012, 01:39 PM
That thing is way too large to be usable for average smartphone users.

sarcosis
Oct 1, 2012, 01:50 PM
I disagree. While I find that the Note and Note II are too big for me it wouldn't make me any less of a man if I had one. My brother has a Note and his jeans are no where near skinny jeans. I don't put my phone in my back pocket anyway, I use the front one. Don't wanna risk sitting on it by mistake.

Totally agree. I've got jeans and and the original Note fits just fine in my pocket. I will admit, when I'm at home, it's fabulous, but out on the go, while it does fit in my pants, it doesn't pass the one hand test. But then again, when I had the One X, it didn't pass the one hand test either for me. I love the big screens, but I'm going back to my smaller phones next round.

cynics
Oct 1, 2012, 02:03 PM
I don't see it being a woman's smartphone/phablet. All the woman I know use iPhones. It only some of my guy friends that have android devices at all. I don't know anyone with a note though.

Mrg02d
Oct 1, 2012, 02:31 PM
I don't see it being a woman's smartphone/phablet. All the woman I know use iPhones. It only some of my guy friends that have android devices at all. I don't know anyone with a note though.

Yup, I mostly see girls with iPhones...Man did I get a testosterone rush when I took my 4s back for a GS3! I felt like a Spartan ready to fight persians.

3bs
Oct 1, 2012, 02:43 PM
Yup, I mostly see girls with iPhones...Man did I get a testosterone rush when I took my 4s back for a GS3! I felt like a Spartan ready to fight persians.

I don't mean to put you down but I've seen quite a few girls with GS3's :p (I own one myself)

TPadden
Oct 1, 2012, 02:52 PM
I don't mean to put you down but I've seen quite a few girls with GS3's :p (I own one myself)

...... I don't mean to put you down either, but girls obviously don't recognize sarcasm when they see it :p!

YES, I'm being sarcastic too! :)

3bs
Oct 1, 2012, 02:55 PM
...... I don't mean to put you down either, but girls obviously don't recognize sarcasm when they see it :p!

My bad. It's been a long day :p

TPadden
Oct 1, 2012, 02:57 PM

Tell me about it; I'm just taking a break from my Tractor (Kubota) because my wife won't drive it :D.

Mrg02d
Oct 1, 2012, 02:58 PM

Dont worry, its been a long day for me too.;)

cynics
Oct 1, 2012, 03:07 PM

Lol, I should have continued my post. I have an iPhone and don't really care what other people think. I certainly don't care what someone thinks that judges people on something that petty. On the same note you'd never catch me driving a VW cabrio. Lol

TPadden
Oct 1, 2012, 03:13 PM
...... On the same note you'd never catch me driving a VW cabrio. Lol

...... is it just my wife, or do all women dislike driving Kubota's? :o

Mr. Retrofire
Oct 1, 2012, 03:32 PM
Good that i'm not a “average smartphone user”.

zbarvian
Oct 1, 2012, 05:37 PM
Good that i'm not a “average smartphone user”.

I suppose so...

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 1, 2012, 05:47 PM
Does the Note 2 come with a man purse? :p

Seriously, it's just too big for one handed operation. It also barely fits in the front pocket without having to worry about it falling out. If your a stationary person who only sits at home and sits at work, then it might be for you.

oBMTo
Oct 1, 2012, 06:00 PM

Seriously, it's just too big for one handed operation. It also barely fits in the front pocket without having to worry about it falling out. If your a stationary person who only sits at home and sits at work, then it might be for you.

I didn't know there were so many people out there with only one hand. :rolleyes:

I used the iPhone 4 mostly with 2 hands. I used the HTC One X mostly with 2 hands. One-handed operation is the most overblown issue in the smartphone world.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 1, 2012, 06:06 PM
I didn't know there were so many people out there with only one hand. :rolleyes:

I used the iPhone 4 mostly with 2 hands. I used the HTC One X mostly with 2 hands. One-handed operation is the most overblown issue in the smartphone world.

You do know a phone was meant to be held with one hand right? :rolleyes:

One hand operation is not overblown at all. When in portrait, I use one hand about 90% of the time. Most people I see using their smartphones do the same.

oBMTo
Oct 1, 2012, 06:16 PM
You do know a phone was meant to be held with one hand right? :rolleyes:

One hand operation is not overblown at all. When in portrait, I use one hand about 90% of the time. Most people I see using their smartphones do the same.

I can hold the Note fine with one hand. I can make phone calls, text, and check email with one hand, which is what that "90%" consists of. Anything else I use 2 hands. Overblown issue.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 1, 2012, 07:00 PM
I can hold the Note fine with one hand. I can make phone calls, text, and check email with one hand, which is what that "90%" consists of. Anything else I use 2 hands. Overblown issue.

Sure ya can .....:cool:

oBMTo
Oct 1, 2012, 07:13 PM
Sure ya can .....:cool:

Yes, my average sized hands can. :rolleyes:

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 1, 2012, 09:14 PM
Just look how this person has to tilt the Note to use it with one hand. You shouldn't need to do that, it's too damn big for a comfortable one hand usage. And the Note 2 has a bigger screen which will make it worse.

http://youtu.be/ZTMHqLsZmI0

einmusiker
Oct 1, 2012, 09:23 PM
I'd love to have one but alas, its not on verizon :/

----------

man this is the coolest phone ever. wish verizon had it

EDIT: holy crap! vzw is getting it. this will be my next device!

Timzer
Oct 1, 2012, 09:47 PM

Oh really, so you must have an issue with people hauling around a massive Tablet right? Or even the upcoming iPad mini. Oh wait, I just remembered, because Apple makes devices that size, you're ok with it.
Just because the Note won't fit in your pant pockets, don't apply that to the average adult. Btw, And let's not forget this condition of one handed operation, because since you use consider it so important, it must be important for everyone. I guess Steve is using the 3.5 inch display iPhone the wrong way. Wow, imagine that, the guy behind Apple is using his own device completely the wrong way.

Doc750
Oct 1, 2012, 10:20 PM
They announced today that its coming to us carriers likely at the end of this month. I will be getting this phone on Verizon. Honestly can't wait!

MacBH928
Oct 1, 2012, 10:45 PM
I think most people mistake this for an iphone replacement.
While it can make calls , its really a mini tablet not a phone.

it is a tablet that make calls, it is really an iPad replacement. You can use whatever phone you like to make calls(smart or not) and you can carry this. A friend of mine said that the iPad is too big to carry around(I agree, it feels like carrying a book) and this is more like carrying a phone. Plus it has no iOS restrictions whatever they maybe be.

Question:

How is this different from S3? Just a bigger screen ? Can't I use the stylus with s3?

Basically, what would I be able to do with this that I cant with S3?

oBMTo
Oct 1, 2012, 11:02 PM
Just look how this person has to tilt the Note to use it with one hand. You shouldn't need to do that, it's too damn big for a comfortable one hand usage. And the Note 2 has a bigger screen which will make it worse.

http://youtu.be/ZTMHqLsZmI0

The Note 2 has been widely reviewed to be better for 1 handed usage because it is less wide. But who cares, one handed usage is overrated.

irDigital0l
Oct 2, 2012, 12:05 AM
Bigger isn't always better.

SIII 4.8 inch size is MAX

thats already a little to big

kiltedthrower
Oct 2, 2012, 05:02 AM
2 handed use is only an issue if it's an issue for you. The Note has an option to enable one hand use with its core functions. My hand is bigger than my note. I have average size guy hands. My hands fit comfortably in my pockets. Swype makes typing one handed easy if that's important to you. As for me, I typed using 2 hands even when I used blackberries.

daveathall
Oct 2, 2012, 05:18 AM
I must admit that I quite like them, it would be too big for me though, but that is just my preference. I can see it being very useful to a business man that commutes to work carrying the note in his suit jacket inside top pocket, he could sit on the train/tube etc using something that's larger than a normal mobile phone with ease. TBH, because I drive to work at an office each day, the same could be said about me, the phone, no matter the size would connect with my bluetooth in the car, once at the office the larger screen would prove useful. Could have my S3 for weekends and days off.

ChrisTX
Oct 2, 2012, 06:07 AM
The Note II is a beast, thinking about picking this up. :cool:

snow blind
Oct 2, 2012, 06:50 AM
The Note II is a beast, thinking about picking this up. :cool: Even with your GSIII? Not speaking negatively at all... i'm curious as i'm looking at both the GSIII and the NoteII. Is there something you don't care for on the GSIII that the NoteII does better/differently etc?

ChrisTX
Oct 2, 2012, 08:16 AM
Even with your GSIII? Not speaking negatively at all... i'm curious as i'm looking at both the GSIII and the NoteII. Is there something you don't care for on the GSIII that the NoteII does better/differently etc?

Honestly, I was thinking about selling my GSIII for the note 2. However realistically with Jelly Bean coming to the GS3, I'll probably hold on to it as I'm already too invested in the GS3. I like the idea of having the S-Pen honestly, and was always attracted to the Note I. I guess it comes down to size preference really, and what you prefer.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 2, 2012, 08:42 AM
The Note 2 has been widely reviewed to be better for 1 handed usage because it is less wide. But who cares, one handed usage is overrated.

Just because you own an S3, doesn't change the fact that you are wrong.

Again, one hand usage is far from overrated. It's a natural and convenient way of usage for most. Your fooling yourself if you think the Note(2) doesn't fall in a niche market, it's not called a phablet for nothing. The fact that the average person can't use it one handed in a natural manner and without tilting the device is a problem for the average smartphone consumer.

I'm not knocking anyone's preference. But for me, a smartphone that's too big for normal/natural one hand usage is just too much for my taste. I'm pretty sure others feel the same. Otherwise, I would have went for the Note instead of the GS3 being that they were right next to each other in the AT&T store.

Mr. Retrofire
Oct 2, 2012, 10:29 AM
it's just too big for one handed operation
That's what she said!

snow blind
Oct 2, 2012, 10:33 AM
Those who think it's too big for one handed operation are entitled to that opinion. There are a large percentage of us who can operate a large phone like the Note 2 with one hand. Maybe we simply have larger hands... maybe we are more dexterous or coordinated. Not 'knockin' anyone here... but keep it to "it's too big for me" and move on.

http://cdn.pocket-lint.com/images/HLJP/samsung-galaxy-note-2-lands-in-uk-october-1-0.jpg?20120925-174310

TPadden
Oct 2, 2012, 11:40 AM
While it can make calls , its really a mini tablet not a phone......

.... so as an iPad replacement that can be used as a phone; it is a replacement for both iPhone and iPad :D

Your S3 could probably also replace your iPad but the Note just does it better :cool:.

MacRumorUser
Oct 2, 2012, 12:06 PM
Those who think it's too big for one handed operation are entitled to that opinion. There are a large percentage of us who can operate a large phone like the Note 2 with one hand.

http://cdn.pocket-lint.com/images/HLJP/samsung-galaxy-note-2-lands-in-uk-october-1-0.jpg?20120925-174310]Image

Holding the phone in one hand yes....

Operating it and holding it in one hand maybe not.... !!! ;)

snow blind
Oct 2, 2012, 12:24 PM
Holding the phone in one hand yes....

Operating it and holding it in one hand maybe not.... !!! ;)The picture was to illustrate that the overall size isn't as large as many of you believe. Yes, it's still a very large screen size, but the thinness and smaller bezel make it very manageable with one hand. Look at this person's hand. Does it not appear that his thumb can reach just about every part of the screen with relative ease? And he doesn't have huge monster hands either! http://www.theinquirer.net/IMG/098/232098/samsung-galaxy-note-2-smartphone-front-540x334.JPG?1346418744

There is also the "one handed operation" option those with small hands can enable on the phone.
http://www.samsunggalaxynote.nl/wp-content/uploads/samsung-galaxy-note-2-een-hand-toetsenbord.jpg

MacRumorUser
Oct 2, 2012, 12:40 PM
There is also the "one handed operation" option those with small hands can enable on the phone.
http://www.samsunggalaxynote.nl/wp-content/uploads/samsung-galaxy-note-2-een-hand-toetsenbord.jpg

That's handy feature but only highlights the problem for some people... For example can you see that if you held one hand like this, if you wanted to swipe down to your notifications, it would be a desperate stretch for your thumb, and require you to shuffle your hand up.

I find I have to do that with my one X at times, with a Note2 I and many others would struggle, or have a very unergonomic experience.

Also but kind of obvious, the stylus rules out 1 handed operation pretty much anyway.

As I've said I think its a lovely device, now if they released it a little smaller than the GS3 so maybe 4.5" I'd be tempted to buy one without doubt, but that 1" means it's taken out of my grasp... literally.....

mmomega
Oct 2, 2012, 12:40 PM
I've always been interested in some of the Galaxy Note devices but with already owning an iPhone 5 and iPad 3 it just doesn't fall into any area where I could justify owning one. It would never get used. The other 2 fill their respective spots. With having a 4" screen, a 9.7" screen, a 13" screen and a 27" I feel covered when it comes to on the go and getting my internet fix for the day.

Now not saying it doesn't for others and I'm sure it is pretty damn cool device.

Just like I don't knock my friend for owning a Chevy HD instead of a Ford SD (MUCH :D) they both do their intended purpose and have their followings....mine just does it better, or so I say :p

snow blind
Oct 2, 2012, 01:23 PM
I've always been interested in some of the Galaxy Note devices but with already owning an iPhone 5 and iPad 3 it just doesn't fall into any area where I could justify owning one. It would never get used. The other 2 fill their respective spots. With having a 4" screen, a 9.7" screen, a 13" screen and a 27" I feel covered when it comes to on the go and getting my internet fix for the day.

Now not saying it doesn't for others and I'm sure it is pretty damn cool device.

Just like I don't knock my friend for owning a Chevy HD instead of a Ford SD (MUCH :D) they both do their intended purpose and have their followings....mine just does it better, or so I say :p

You my friend have too many screens!:D I was exactly (well a 24" lol) like you with all my devices before I started to liquidate the old Apple stuff out and replace it with... well my iPad 3 is current and solid technology haha. Maybe one year they'll update the iMac;)

nba1341
Oct 2, 2012, 03:22 PM
LOL

the only people I've ever seen with them are men over 40.....

must have something to do with eyes

MACis122
Oct 2, 2012, 04:22 PM
all these haters on this phone because of its size. have no legitimate reason, it can't fit in my pocket, yet it does. i can't use it with one hand, thats your problem. people who want this phone know what they are getting.

Webb
Oct 2, 2012, 06:15 PM
I'm sending my iPhone 5 back for the Note II.:D

lavrishevo
Oct 2, 2012, 06:19 PM
I have 20/10 vision and I much prefer the screen size of the S3 over my 4S. But this is just my personal preference.

ChrisTX
Oct 2, 2012, 07:23 PM
For example can you see that if you held one hand like this, if you wanted to swipe down to your notifications, it would be a desperate stretch for your thumb, and require you to shuffle your hand up.

In Nova Launcher on my S3 I have it set so I can swipe up from the bottom to get to the notifications menu. :cool:

MacRumorUser
Oct 3, 2012, 02:12 AM
In Nova Launcher on my S3 I have it set so I can swipe up from the bottom to get to the notifications menu. :cool:

But if you used Nova Launcher would you have access to the smaller hand layout option on Touchwiz ?

k995
Oct 3, 2012, 06:29 AM
Benchmarks:

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/6n0x-a7-fb7b-jpg.html

It beats the crap out of 2core GSG3 iphone 5 and even the quad core GSG3 (wich is about the fastest current around)

ChrisTX
Oct 3, 2012, 07:11 AM
But if you used Nova Launcher would you have access to the smaller hand layout option on Touchwiz ?

I'd assume so as Nova Launcher doesn't require root. But honestly, not sure.

MacRumorUser
Oct 3, 2012, 07:20 AM
Benchmarks:
even the quad core GSG3 (wich is about the fastest current around)

Actually my international One X with Sense 4.1 & 4.04 gets just under 6000 (5920 to be precise) on Quadrant, which actually best's the Quad Core Samsung GS3 ;-)

But in real world Benchmarks like these mean very little. NanoMark GS3 still slightly beats out One X.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRLGawjmC5E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit: updated One X to JB on HTC elevate programme

Quadrant score on JB = 6567 which beats the Note 2 quadrant posted above, and well past the SGS3. Top Dog didn't remain top dog for too long... ;-)

http://dl.xda-developers.com/attachdl/a752c7cd5a8cd574918ca78f7071465d/506d345e/1/3/7/4/4/9/1/2012-10-04_11-35-24.jpg

Antutu score is 12330 so just slightly behind the Note 2 on this one, but still ahead of the SgS3

I'd assume so as Nova Launcher doesn't require root. But honestly, not sure.

I'll enquire over on XDA :-)

Sincci
Oct 3, 2012, 09:08 AM
I would assume that the keyboard layout doesn't have anything to do with touchwiz and would work with any launcher. It mostly just looks like an setting that you'll turn on in the keyboard's settings menu.

nuckinfutz
Oct 3, 2012, 10:38 AM
the only people I've ever seen with them are men over 40.....

must have something to do with eyes

Hear hear!

Just attended a family function and saw a Galaxy Note by the wife of my cousin. As long time iPhone users I was surprised and wanted to see what caused the change. I asked her and she said she can see the screen.

I then said that Note was like a girls phone because guys couldn't put it in their back pocket and my cousin looked at me and laughed and said "we both got Galaxy Notes" he also said it wasn't much of an issue to put it in his pocket. a

So I'm here to say I was wrong and that are people buying large phones not going away. In fact they are actually becoming more of accessibility features. I'm in my 40s and my eye sight is declining as well.

Perhaps there should be two sizes of phones. Skinny and Fat. Let the consumer decide.

madden
Oct 4, 2012, 11:20 PM
This phone looks awesome, getting one for sure. Just curious why so many people are obsessed with how operational a phone is with one hand. Where are you using it where you cant use 2 hands? Probably the car, thats illegal by the way. carrying something in your hand maybe? Ok, how long are you walking around carrying stuff? Not long I am sure. I dont get it. I also dont know who holds phones up to their ear these days either. I haven't in ages. I use my speakerphone or a bluetooth ear piece. Good thing we have choices.

onthecouchagain
Oct 4, 2012, 11:43 PM
This phone looks awesome, getting one for sure. Just curious why so many people are obsessed with how operational a phone is with one hand. Where are you using it where you cant use 2 hands? Probably the car, thats illegal by the way. carrying something in your hand maybe? Ok, how long are you walking around carrying stuff? Not long I am sure. I dont get it. I also dont know who holds phones up to their ear these days either. I haven't in ages. I use my speakerphone or a bluetooth ear piece. Good thing we have choices.

Apple's made people obsessed with it. Apple makes people obsessed with only what they do better, so things like retina display, one handed use, the most apps, and now reversible plug (gasp!) are paramount.

Oh, and the list used to be longer. When the competition caught up, certain things suddenly weren't as important. Go figure. ;)

wonderspark
Oct 5, 2012, 02:40 AM
I agree... the Note 2 looks fantastic. I'm much more excited about what Android has coming than what comes after iPhone 5. Hopefully, Apple creates something really great next time. I feel like they are starting to take their success for granted.

Less courts and more dreams!

MacRumorUser
Oct 5, 2012, 02:50 AM
Apple's made people obsessed with it. Apple makes people obsessed with only what they do better, so things like retina display, one handed use, the most apps, and now reversible plug (gasp!) are paramount.

Oh, and the list used to be longer. When the competition caught up, certain things suddenly weren't as important. Go figure. ;)

Actually the one thing I've had a lot of people noticing about the iPhone 5 above everything else is what you can't see.... That is call quality.

Everyone who I have spoken to on the we iPhone have remarked how crystal clear and crisp I sounded. Previously up to this point the bb Bold 9900 had best call quality, but the iPhone 5 has now upped the ante.

It's such a small thing, but when you think about it, probably the MOST important feature of a phone.
Albeit probably the least exciting when put down on Paper.

I thought sound quality was alright on my other phones to be honest, but its the fact that other people I'm talking to are now remarking on how much better it sounds which shows that is an big improvement over my previous Sensation Xe, SGS2, Nexus and current One X handsets, not forgetting my previous iPhones, and my assemble of other handsets N9, Lumia 800, Torch 9860, & Bold 9900.

----------

I also dont know who holds phones up to their ear these days either. I haven't in ages. I use my speakerphone or a bluetooth ear piece. Good thing we have choices.

I dare say, the VAST majority do...

snow blind
Oct 5, 2012, 07:01 AM
It's such a small thing, but when you think about it, probably the MOST important feature of a phone.
Albeit probably the least exciting when put down on Paper.. I do remember my BB Bold having great call clarity. Nowadays one of a phone's more MINOR functions are phone calls. I can't tell you the last time I've spent any real personal (non-work) time on a phone. Almost everyone has a smart phone with internet and texting... maps and streaming music. Phones now are really just computers. Texting has replaced most phone conversation.

Tarzanman
Oct 5, 2012, 07:01 AM
When possible, I use google voice chat instead of making a phone call. It sounds waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. It even sounds better than HD Voice.

Hopefully, someone in the phone industry will push voice technology forward from the crap 8 KHz sampling frequency that our phone system uses.

hot spare
Oct 5, 2012, 09:40 AM
It's more than just power and internal hardware when it comes to features of Note 2. This is already a mini-computer. Have anyone seen the awesome (I literally mean freaking awesome) multi-window feature:

Check this about actual working of this feature:

k6c7XaDWmJg

To add to this awesome feature, there is another feature that many reviews have missed,
The S Pen can work as mouse pointer and works incredibly well for websites not optimized for mobile.

Check this video: http://youtu.be/ealqvz196M0?t=8m38s

Go to around 8:40 mark. They show it for porsche website.

dukeblue91
Oct 5, 2012, 10:00 AM
Well I for one can't wait for it to come to At&t.
I have the One X right now but had the original Note first but it was defective and they had no replacement available and I needed a phone right away so I got the One X.

I also don't understand what the big issue is with one handed use as I mostly use two hands to work my phone.

Djlild7hina
Oct 5, 2012, 10:08 AM
Man I already have a S3 but the note 2 is really tempting. maybe ill just wait and upgrade to the 1080P display version of one of them :P

delToros
Oct 5, 2012, 12:07 PM
I've played with note 2 in samsung store for 40 min. And what can I say:

- It is very original device
- Screen is great.
- S-pen is really great and convenient. I know I would use use it daily
- Android is smooth and offers some new experience if you (like me) have been using iPhone since 2007.

But all these "+"s dont count because:

IT IS VERY CHEAP PLASTIC PHONE!!!!! It is useful and interesting.. but I hate it in my hand.. Nokia 6230 HAS MORE SOLID MATERIALS... It is some cheap plastic..

Tones2
Oct 5, 2012, 12:22 PM
IT IS VERY CHEAP PLASTIC PHONE!!!!! It is useful and interesting.. but I hate it in my hand.. Nokia 6230 HAS MORE SOLID MATERIALS... It is some cheap plastic..

It's the same material as the S3. It's NOT "cheap" plastic. It's textured polycarbonate, a much higher grade, but still retains lightness. It may FEEL cheap if you are used to the massive glass bulk brick of a device like the iPhone 4/4S and only use it for a shirt period of time, but after using my S3 for awhile, I can assure you that it's quite durable and feels great in the hand, AND DOESN'T SCRATCH / SCUFF!

kdarling
Oct 5, 2012, 12:45 PM
I also don't understand what the big issue is with one handed use as I mostly use two hands to work my phone.

Yep, unless I only have one hand free, in which case quite often I use my voice to do things instead.

Besides, the whole point of "multi-touch" requires having more than one finger free to do stuff.

And the iPhone wasn't really designed for single-handed usage all the time. Ever try to zoom back out on iOS using only one hand? Ouch. Hurray for on-screen +/- buttons sometimes.

As for the case material, I always put on a nice looking non-slip cover (like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Flexible-Protector-International-Packaging/dp/B0089F2ILM/)) anyway.

cynics
Oct 5, 2012, 03:04 PM
Yep, unless I only have one hand free, in which case quite often I use my voice to do things instead.

Besides, the whole point of "multi-touch" requires having more than one finger free to do stuff.

And the iPhone wasn't really designed for single-handed usage all the time. Ever try to zoom back out on iOS using only one hand? Ouch. Hurray for on-screen +/- buttons sometimes.

As for the case material, I always put on a nice looking non-slip cover (like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Flexible-Protector-International-Packaging/dp/B0089F2ILM/)) anyway.

I agree a lot of gestures require two hands however zoom out does not. Double tap your thumb....

einmusiker
Oct 5, 2012, 04:47 PM
I CANNOT wait to get this phone. this is the cell phone/tablet of the future

kdarling
Oct 5, 2012, 07:26 PM
I agree a lot of gestures require two hands however zoom out does not. Double tap your thumb....

Are we talking about the same thing?

Double-tap causes a zoom-in (as in magnify).

Sometimes a second double-tap zooms you back out again. But rarely.

If I double-tap zoom in on a map multiple times, there's no way to go back out again.

madden
Oct 5, 2012, 07:52 PM
It's more than just power and internal hardware when it comes to features of Note 2. This is already a mini-computer. Have anyone seen the awesome (I literally mean freaking awesome) multi-window feature:

Check this about actual working of this feature:

k6c7XaDWmJg

To add to this awesome feature, there is another feature that many reviews have missed,
The S Pen can work as mouse pointer and works incredibly well for websites not optimized for mobile.

Check this video: http://youtu.be/ealqvz196M0?t=8m38s

Go to around 8:40 mark. They show it for porsche website.

Awesome! This is the kind of innovation lacking with Apple in both iOS and the iphone. Of course iphone fans will just call these features "gimmicky" and say they dont need them :p

cynics
Oct 5, 2012, 07:59 PM

If I double-tap zoom in on a map multiple times, there's no way to go back out again.

Interesting. Maybe a device issue. Double tap zooms in, another zooms out. If you are way zoomed in it might take two double taps to zoom out. Works perfectly for me.

OceanView
Oct 6, 2012, 11:19 AM
OP:

I'm sure you've already made up your mind to get the Note II. It really is a fantastic device from watching all the reviews on it.
I myself have been using the Note I and it is not too big as some have stated here. It fits in my pocket just fine both with and without a case.
Regarding the 1 hand operation, I can do that too but even when I had the iPhone I tended to use both hands while using it. The only time I did use 1 hand was texting while driving and that I do not do anymore as it is too dangerous.

Once you use the Note for a while, you will not want to go back to an iPhone. It is that good and revolutionary.

BTW, I too will be getting the Note II.

Oohara
Oct 6, 2012, 11:37 AM
I love what this thing can do but it's just too damn ugly :( Still hoping for that rumored HTC Phablet.

daveathall
Oct 6, 2012, 11:47 AM
CNet UK review of Galaxy Note II.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-note-2-review-50009010/

Throw Out
Oct 6, 2012, 11:57 AM
brilliant phone,

Very innovative, but I still can't make up my mind between this and the iPhone 5.

Since I will only purchase my new phone in December, we will see what prices look like then.

madden
Oct 6, 2012, 03:22 PM
CNet UK review of Galaxy Note II.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-note-2-review-50009010/

Loved this part best!

"I found the battery to be easily capable of surviving a full 12 hours of use, even when I was playing numerous videos and downloading apps over our office Wi-Fi."

MacRumorUser
Oct 6, 2012, 04:15 PM
Loved this part best!

"I found the battery to be easily capable of surviving a full 12 hours of use, even when I was playing numerous videos and downloading apps over our office Wi-Fi."

Sadly the review claims

A similarly impressive performance was forthcoming on the Quadrant benchmark test, where it clocked up a whopping 5,987. The S3 gave a lesser 5,289 on this test while HTC's One X only managed 4,904

Well my One X scored 5900 on Android 4.04 & Sense 4.5, With Jelly Bean and Sense 4+ update it now gets 6500....

If they are using inaccurate or wrong information like this in a review in does leave me ?? their opinion...

kiltedthrower
Oct 6, 2012, 04:46 PM
Sadly the review claims

Well my One X scored 5900 on Android 4.04 & Sense 4.5, With Jelly Bean and Sense 4+ update it now gets 6500....

If they are using inaccurate or wrong information like this in a review in does leave me ?? their opinion...

Benchmarks are just numbers. I've seen numerous times where a less benchmarking device will outperform a device with a higher benchmark. Benchmarks often don't translate to real world performance and are more often there for bragging rights. My note 1 overclocked has a higher benchmark than when it's not overclocked. However, there's very little performance boost but the battery gets eaten so much faster.

rhinosrcool
Oct 6, 2012, 04:53 PM
Over the past couple of weeks, I have read and watched reviews of this device. All have been very positive. Of course, when you can, you should check out either the current Note or the Note 2 and see if the size is too big.

For me, it's an awesome device and I will be getting one on ATT asap. If you're like me and like to write things down and or do some sketchings, this is the device. Also, the larger screen really makes the S-pen so much more useful. Even if the iPhone (any version) had this functionality, with it's smaller screen, it wouldn't be as useful.

My gut tells me Samsung will sell 20 million (twice the original). We shall see...

nick_elt
Oct 6, 2012, 05:38 PM
While it can make calls , its really a mini tablet not a phone.

it is a tablet that make calls, it is really an iPad replacement. You can use whatever phone you like to make calls(smart or not) and you can carry this. A friend of mine said that the iPad is too big to carry around(I agree, it feels like carrying a book) and this is more like carrying a phone. Plus it has no iOS restrictions whatever they maybe be.

Question:

How is this different from S3? Just a bigger screen ? Can't I use the stylus with s3?

The note line has a wacom digitiser so the stylus has over 1000 levels of pressure sensitivity so its not the same as the stylus on the sgs3

unlinked
Oct 6, 2012, 06:23 PM

Would you not just use double tap and slide down to zoom out (in Google Maps anyway)?

madden
Oct 7, 2012, 05:33 AM
Sadly the review claims

inaccurate or wrong? Didnt you see the graph they posted? Having said that, those numbers are for the dual core One X, the international version you have is the quad core and performs better.

http://cdn-static.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/cat/mobiles/galaxy-note-2/samsung-galaxy-note-2-quadrant.jpg

MacRumorUser
Oct 7, 2012, 06:17 AM
inaccurate or wrong? Didnt you see the graph they posted? Having said that, those numbers are for the dual core One X, the international version you have is the quad core and performs better.

http://cdn-static.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/cat/mobiles/galaxy-note-2/samsung-galaxy-note-2-quadrant.jpg

This was the CNET UK review, one would assume they would compare the International HTC One X and not the USA model. Therefore yes, inaccurate or at very least misleading.

Tsuchiya
Oct 7, 2012, 07:48 AM
If I could justify having a second phone then the Note 2 would be it. It's big sure, but I would use it as my browsing/work device.

I like the stylus. It isn't meant to be for general use, it's for note taking/drawing etc.

doomfront
Oct 7, 2012, 11:49 AM
Hurry up and come out in the US! I need this phone so bad

Twixt
Oct 8, 2012, 05:32 AM
any idea when 64 GB version would be available?

charlieegan3
Oct 8, 2012, 05:47 AM
any idea when 64 GB version would be available?

I don't know and no one will, but why not just get a card? then you have have it now? That's what I did.

----------

Hurry up and come out in the US! I need this phone so bad

Now you know how the rest of the world feels when you get stuff first.

----------

I'm not sure if this has been posted already but this is by far the best review out there: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_ii-review-824.php

daveathall
Oct 8, 2012, 06:55 AM
[/COLOR]I'm not sure if this has been posted already but this is by far the best review out there: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_ii-review-824.php

Excellent review, not seen that before, thanks for the link. Have you any first impressions?

chinu89
Oct 8, 2012, 08:08 AM
This phone is just amazing,Multitasking and multiviewing make this phone a mini computer

onthecouchagain
Oct 8, 2012, 08:49 AM
Just so y'all know, Google Maps recently updated with a one-hand zoom in AND out. You just double tap and hold on the second tap and slide to your heart's content.

It's neat. :)

Twixt
Oct 8, 2012, 09:05 AM
I don't know and no one will, but why not just get a card? then you have have it now? That's what I did.

----------

Now you know how the rest of the world feels when you get stuff first.

----------

I'm not sure if this has been posted already but this is by far the best review out there: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_ii-review-824.php

Card is for less hot storage if I remember well.
Also I would like to have as much capacity as I can (pro phone)
I wonder when 128 GB micro SD will come on line...

charlieegan3
Oct 8, 2012, 09:11 AM
Card is for less hot storage if I remember well.
Also I would like to have as much capacity as I can (pro phone)
I wonder when 128 GB micro SD will come on line...

There's "pro" and "media hoarder", you decide :)

If they ever come out with a 128gb microSD it will be really expensive (£150) and then 50p with a year.

zbarvian
Oct 8, 2012, 12:03 PM
Apparently it's still not a normal RGB sub pixel arrangement; Samsung really needs to work on their screen tech. This is definitely a niche device, tho.

stevelam
Oct 8, 2012, 12:07 PM
I remember seeing someone use galaxy note for the first time in public and I almost burst out laughing. It looked so stupidly ridiculous.

Gangnam Style
Oct 8, 2012, 12:15 PM
I remember seeing someone use galaxy note for the first time in public and I almost burst out laughing. It looked so stupidly ridiculous.

I chuckle every time I see an iPhone user.
Makes them look like an iSheep following the heard.

onthecouchagain
Oct 8, 2012, 12:50 PM
Very strong reviews by both Engadget and Verge for the Note II.

And I'm blown away to find that it's actually smaller in size to than the Note. Marginally, but apparently enough to make it easier to hold.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/10/mg5278.jpg

Samsung is seriously impressing lately. Air View is amazing. And Verge says 2 days of regular usage on a single charge.

ReallyBigFeet
Oct 8, 2012, 02:13 PM
(Didn't read entire thread BTW, but the original link has been removed by Samsung due to copyright infraction)

I will say the marketing video/promos Samsung is doing for the Note and Note 2 are really well done. But its those same promo's that make me realize how I personally couldn't make good use of the device.

Most people say the Note/Note 2 are "oversized phones with tablet functionality," but I really think its the other way around. Its an undersized tablet with phone functionality. And precisely because it IS an undersized tablet, it misses the mark for either category.

Its just too small to be my go-to device for meetings. I prefer to take hand-written notes and while the iPad certainly isn't the best for this given its lack of native stylus input, software has been released that make it very useful for this with features such as palm-input rejection, sizeable/auto-scrolling text input boxes, snap-to shape formatting, etc. But for all that, its the size of the iPad that makes this the most useful. At just shy of the same size as an 8.5x11" sheet of paper, I can edit a PDF, use it as a 'transparency' overlay, etc. and it feels natural and just right. And if I were to try to use the Note 2 for typed notes...too small there as well.

All I get out of the Note 2 is a small tablet with embedded phone tech. Bigger than a phone, but too small to be highly useful for anything other than doodling and to-do lists. Otherwise, I'm going to be either squinting and/or scrolling like crazy. If you happen to be in the camp of bigger screens on mobile phone = better phone, then maybe. But I still think the size is going to leave many in THAT camp thinking its overkill.

I think its one of those very niche, special-purpose devices. I'm sure for someone it will find a perfect match. But then, so do ugly fat people.

3bs
Oct 8, 2012, 02:41 PM
Very strong reviews by both Engadget and Verge for the Note II.

And I'm blown away to find that it's actually smaller in size to than the Note. Marginally, but apparently enough to make it easier to hold.

Image (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/10/mg5278.jpg)

Samsung is seriously impressing lately. Air View is amazing. And Verge says 2 days of regular usage on a single charge.

Well it's thinner in thickness and width but taller and heavier so whether people prefer that or not is subjective. I am loving the grey color!

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4854&idPhone2=4135

zbarvian
Oct 8, 2012, 02:44 PM
(Didn't read entire thread BTW, but the original link has been removed by Samsung due to copyright infraction)

I will say the marketing video/promos Samsung is doing for the Note and Note 2 are really well done. But its those same promo's that make me realize how I personally couldn't make good use of the device.

Most people say the Note/Note 2 are "oversized phones with tablet functionality," but I really think its the other way around. Its an undersized tablet with phone functionality. And precisely because it IS an undersized tablet, it misses the mark for either category.

Its just too small to be my go-to device for meetings. I prefer to take hand-written notes and while the iPad certainly isn't the best for this given its lack of native stylus input, software has been released that make it very useful for this with features such as palm-input rejection, sizeable/auto-scrolling text input boxes, snap-to shape formatting, etc. But for all that, its the size of the iPad that makes this the most useful. At just shy of the same size as an 8.5x11" sheet of paper, I can edit a PDF, use it as a 'transparency' overlay, etc. and it feels natural and just right. And if I were to try to use the Note 2 for typed notes...too small there as well.

All I get out of the Note 2 is a small tablet with embedded phone tech. Bigger than a phone, but too small to be highly useful for anything other than doodling and to-do lists. Otherwise, I'm going to be either squinting and/or scrolling like crazy. If you happen to be in the camp of bigger screens on mobile phone = better phone, then maybe. But I still think the size is going to leave many in THAT camp thinking its overkill.

I think its one of those very niche, special-purpose devices. I'm sure for someone it will find a perfect match. But then, so do ugly fat people.

Hah. That's a good post, and an interesting perspective on the device.

theluggage
Oct 8, 2012, 05:11 PM

That's what I think about the 7" tablets like the Galaxy Tab and (presumably) forthcoming iPad Mini, which really are too big to be a phone and too small to be a tablet.

However, unlike these, the Note II is just small enough to live in a shirt or inside jacket pocket - and I think that is what makes the crucial difference. Compared to a phone, the big screen is much nicer for web browsing and maps, when you're using it as a GPS it's big enough to actually see (I currently drive Das Mini and if I mounted an iPad on the windshield I wouldn't be able to see out!) and the on-screen keyboard is good.

I've actually just got a Note II (to replace my ancient HTC Hero... I have a Mac, an iPad and an older iPod Touch, so when it comes to phones I'm looking for something different to scratch the gadget itch - the maps fiasco hasn't helped).

However, one warning for Mac users: syncing with a Mac via USB is a pain - the Android File Transfer program for Mac seems to just plain not work with the current version of Android, and iPhoto doesn't seem to want to play, either. Samsung provide a syncing App called "Kies" (?) which "works for me" (others have reported problems) but is a bit temperamental - and is awfully clunky.

Not quite such a deal-breaker these days - you can use Google to sync your contacts and calendars, and Google Drive or Dropbox let you exchange files, but getting your music collection with playlists intact is going to be a pain.

The default music player on Android sucks, too, but there are plenty of alternatives.

TPadden
Oct 8, 2012, 06:00 PM
That's what I think about the 7" tablets like the Galaxy Tab and (presumably) forthcoming iPad Mini, which really are too big to be a phone and too small to be a tablet......

I have both 7" and 10" tablets; the 7" relegated the 10" to bedside nightstand use only. The 7" is my carry companion when I need a tablet on the go. :)

OceanView
Oct 8, 2012, 06:38 PM
Otherwise, I'm going to be either squinting and/or scrolling like crazy.

So I guess you find it easy to do that on an iPhone screen?

ReallyBigFeet
Oct 8, 2012, 08:46 PM
So I guess you find it easy to do that on an iPhone screen?

No, actually, I don't find that easy to do on an iPhone screen. But its easier to do on a 7" Android tablet (I own several). Easier, however, doesn't mean its still a great experience.

My point was that scrolling around a tiny screen (even one as big as the Note 2) for media consumption is bad enough. But a tablet with a stylus is geared for content creation. If I'm just jotting a grocery list of one-liners, its fine. If I'm taking detailed meeting notes, penning an outline for a novel or software application, etc.....a full 8.5" x 11" is my preferred target. I certainly wouldn't want the Note 2 for that...and forget about the iPhone screens.

kdarling
Oct 8, 2012, 09:37 PM
My point was that scrolling around a tiny screen (even one as big as the Note 2) for media consumption is bad enough. But a tablet with a stylus is geared for content creation.

If I'm just jotting a grocery list of one-liners, its fine. If I'm taking detailed meeting notes, penning an outline for a novel or software application, etc.....a full 8.5" x 11" is my preferred target. I certainly wouldn't want the Note 2 for that...and forget about the iPhone screens.

Sure, 8x11 is okay around the house or office, but it's a bit large to carry everywhere you go.

A lot of us used to carry around tiny shirt pocket spiral notebooks to jot ideas down in, which is about the size of a small screened smartphone.

As for novel outlines, some people like 3x5 notecards, and still others of us use a daytimer sized notebook for software concepts.

So while a certain size might fit your content creation needs, there are plenty of other sizes that fit other people.

(I wonder how much of this is a result of what size notebooks we grew up with! )

F123D
Oct 9, 2012, 02:22 AM
I've been reading/watching reviews of the Note II and it has me very interested. I'm this close to returning my iPhone 5..

OceanView
Oct 9, 2012, 11:36 AM
I've been reading/watching reviews of the Note II and it has me very interested. I'm this close to returning my iPhone 5..

Do it before the 30 day window closes.
iPhone 5 is a toy compared to the Note.

MacBH928
Oct 12, 2012, 08:49 PM

I really think Note II is an iPad competitor not an iPhone 5 competitor. Screen size alone gives it away.

Of course this is all good, because that will force Apple to make a more featured iPad

OceanView
Oct 13, 2012, 10:48 AM
I really think Note II is an iPad competitor not an iPhone 5 competitor. Screen size alone gives it away.

no it isn't. An iPad does not have a phone system therefore it isn't a phone.
Also you can't put an iPad in your front or rear pocket.

doomfront
Oct 13, 2012, 12:32 PM
I have yet to see a bad review about this phone. Can't wait to get mine

Review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdsMwGWvhO4&feature=g-u-u)

Dmaynard83
Oct 13, 2012, 12:43 PM

The iPhone 5 is a phone not a tablet.

Besides the iPhone 5 still has higher reviews than the note. Also how often are you going to pull out a stylus to use it? Often times I'm using my phone walking through on the street or trying to get somewhere, the thought of pulling out a stylus is laughable.

nick_elt
Oct 13, 2012, 02:22 PM

I would have to disagree with you. I received the note 2 today after 4 1/2 years of iphone and its absolutely amazing I would recommend this phone to any one. Because it is thinner than my 3g iphone I actually notice the iphone in my pocket more than the note 2. Once you use it for a while the size is not so noticeable, until you pick up a 3.5" phone again they seem so small. I didn't think id use the stylus much but that too is great and im using it more often than not.

And the speed..... :)

Not trolling but im so happy that I cancelled my iphone 5. Happy customer here :)

----------

Well it's thinner in thickness and width but taller and heavier so whether people prefer that or not is subjective. I am loving the grey color!

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4854&idPhone2=4135

I have the grey. Its stunning and it feels alot lighter than I expected. Not heavy at all.

----------

do it

Sent from My Note 2

OceanView
Oct 13, 2012, 02:28 PM
The iPhone 5 is a phone not a tablet.

Besides the iPhone 5 still has higher reviews than the note. Also how often are you going to pull out a stylus to use it? Often times I'm using my phone walking through on the street or trying to get somewhere, the thought of pulling out a stylus is laughable.

Where does the iPhone 5 have a better review than the Note II ?
I have yet to see it.
Of all the reviews I've seen, most reviews favor the Note II or they just say something like get the one that works for you. None ever said the iPhone 5 is better.

Phone Dog - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pVZyOkd-TjE#!
around 13:30 min mark he states Note II is better.

Also, you don't have to use the stylus to use this phone. It's just an additional tool that you CAN use.

theluggage
Oct 13, 2012, 03:07 PM

As discussed elsewhere, the big possible downside vs. iPhone is syncing music/video/photos/files to a Mac.

The Samsung 'Keis' software will do the job but it's a bit temperamental and clunky, apps like WinAmp and Spotify will sync music over WiFi, or you can always resort to a removable MicroSD card, or you can install an SSH server on your phone and use an SFTP client, but you won't get anything quite as slick as the iTunes sync on the Mac.

Note that this phone does not currently work with Android File Transfer for Mac, and does not support 'USB Disk Mode'.

F123D
Oct 13, 2012, 04:49 PM
iPhone is my only apple device. Now just looking for a good deal on a 32 or 64 micro sd card.

dmelgar
Oct 13, 2012, 04:55 PM
The Note2 simply looks ridiculously big to think of using as a phone. Should be on MAD TV or SNL. As a small tablet I can see it. Not as a phone unless you only need to talk very rarely.

You could actually use an iPad as a phone if you're really hard up. Can run Skype or Talkatone or other VOIP apps and talk over WiFi. There's a microphone and speaker. Have to hold it upside down, but it works. I've done calls via Skype and it works fine although as a speaker phone.

Just goes to show there's a consumer for every product.

F123D
Oct 13, 2012, 05:20 PM
As a small tablet I can see it. Not as a phone unless you only need to talk very rarely.

That would be me. My main uses would be web browsing and multimedia.

You could actually use an iPad as a phone if you're really hard up. Can run Skype or Talkatone or other VOIP apps and talk over WiFi. There's a microphone and speaker. Have to hold it upside down, but it works. I've done calls via Skype and it works fine although as a speaker phone.

Except you can't place an iPad in your pocket afterwards and have it with you 24/7.

A lot of people seem to think the Note 2 is the size of a Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 or something. It's still a very portable device.

nick_elt
Oct 13, 2012, 06:04 PM
The Note2 simply looks ridiculously big to think of using as a phone. Should be on MAD TV or SNL. As a small tablet I can see it. Not as a phone unless you only need to talk very rarely.

Just goes to show there's a consumer for every product.

Well I own a note 2 and an ipad and I dont think you have compared the two nor used the note for an extensive period. The note fits fine in my jeans and I feel it less than my old iphone 3g. The ipad is huge and heavy compared to the note.the first time I saw the note I thought tbe same thing but after using it I would not go back to the iphone. Maybe it is too big for you but comparing it to the ipad is just something a fanboy would say.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 13, 2012, 06:13 PM
I have yet to see a bad review about this phone. Can't wait to get mine

Review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdsMwGWvhO4&feature=g-u-u)

That reviewer has a long thumb. The Note 2 was made for him. LOL

Dmaynard83
Oct 13, 2012, 07:26 PM
Where does the iPhone 5 have a better review than the Note II ?
I have yet to see it.
Of all the reviews I've seen, most reviews favor the Note II or they just say something like get the one that works for you. None ever said the iPhone 5 is better.

Phone Dog - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pVZyOkd-TjE#!
around 13:30 min mark he states Note II is better.

Also, you don't have to use the stylus to use this phone. It's just an additional tool that you CAN use.

The verge. In fact the s3 has a better review than the note 2. But the i5 always beats how all Samsung phones everywhere I go.

And I understand you don't have to use the stylus I'm just saying its another thing that's available and unnecessary.

smellysox8
Oct 13, 2012, 08:33 PM
The verge. In fact the s3 has a better review than the note 2. But the i5 always beats how all Samsung phones everywhere I go.

And I understand you don't have to use the stylus I'm just saying its another thing that's available and unnecessary.

Unnecessary for YOU maybe. But who cares about YOU.

MacBH928
Oct 13, 2012, 08:44 PM
no it isn't. An iPad does not have a phone system therefore it isn't a phone.
Also you can't put an iPad in your front or rear pocket.

You really plan on walking around talking from that device over your years? Thats even more ridiculous than taking photos from an iPad.

also, the deal breaking for you is that it can make phone calls? must be a very important feature for a tablet.

I am also not sure how big your rear or front pockets. Last I checked , pockets barely held a wallet+small phone , even if it fits it wont be comfortable for you.

GroundLoop
Oct 13, 2012, 09:20 PM
When are the commenters on here going to realize that, if someone is considering the Samsung Galaxy Note II, size isn't a concern. Each person will go into the store and hold it in their hands. If it is comfortable for them, then that's great for them.

I am 6'6" and have pretty damn big hands. I could use the GN2 with one hand reasonably well, but I envision that I would mostly be using two hands as my typical use would be in business meetings. So, it would work well for me with my giant hands and head. YMMV.

GL

ChrisTX
Oct 13, 2012, 09:53 PM
I think some people have a hard time realizing that everyones tastes, and opinions are different. Just because the Note II isn't right for YOU, doesn't mean it's not the right device for someone else.

smellysox8
Oct 13, 2012, 10:06 PM
You really plan on walking around talking from that device over your years? Thats even more ridiculous than taking photos from an iPad.

also, the deal breaking for you is that it can make phone calls? must be a very important feature for a tablet.

I am also not sure how big your rear or front pockets. Last I checked , pockets barely held a wallet+small phone , even if it fits it wont be comfortable for you.

You seem to know an awful lot about him. :rolleyes:

Akash.B
Oct 14, 2012, 12:00 AM
This looks like an absolutely wonderful device!

Went to the store and was baffled by how huge the original note is, can't wait to see what this one will be like. While it won't be my phone, I can definitely dig the design

OceanView
Oct 14, 2012, 12:29 AM

You obviously don't know what you're talking about if you think the note is as big as a tablet.
Maybe you should spend your free time learning to spell and punctuate correctly.

F123D
Oct 14, 2012, 01:52 AM
You obviously don't know what you're talking about if you think the note is as big as a tablet.
Maybe you should spend your free time learning to spell and punctuate correctly.

That's what happens when you type on a screen that's too small.. ;) :p

Gangnam Style
Oct 14, 2012, 02:48 AM
The verge. In fact the s3 has a better review than the note 2.

Please provide link that claims the iPhone is better than the Note II.
I looked and could not find it on the Verge.

nick_elt
Oct 14, 2012, 05:12 AM
Please provide link that claims the iPhone is better than the Note II.
I looked and could not find it on the Verge.

The verge rated the iphone 8.8 and the note 2 8.5 overall and didnt mention the iphone from what I read.

But after owning both I know which one I prefer, and its not the iphone I sent back.
But I guess the iphone is for the masses, I think the note is def phone of 2012

Dmaynard83
Oct 14, 2012, 12:22 PM
The verge rated the iphone 8.8 and the note 2 8.5 overall and didnt mention the iphone from what I read.

But after owning both I know which one I prefer, and its not the iphone I sent back.
But I guess the iphone is for the masses, I think the note is def phone of 2012

Also users gave the iPhone 5 over 9 points while the s3 users gave it 8.2ish. The note doesn't have any user rating yet but I suspect it will be in the same ballpark.

Also I am a tech guy and when I had my android the interface was so choppy and most of the features were hard to get to and unnecessary. Benchmarks of the i5 outperform the s3 and I'm betting the slight increase in processor of the note won't make much of difference. If that makes me one of the masses then I guess I'm one of them :)

daveathall
Oct 14, 2012, 12:27 PM
Also users gave the iPhone 5 over 9 points while the s3 users gave it 8.2ish. The note doesn't have any user rating yet but I suspect it will be in the same ballpark.

Also I am a tech guy and when I had my android the interface was so choppy and most of the features were hard to get to and unnecessary. Benchmarks of the i5 outperform the s3 and I'm betting the slight increase in processor of the note won't make much of difference. If that makes me one of the masses then I guess I'm one of them :)

So out of the 3 phones you are so vocal about (iP5, S3 and Note 2) you have only had personal experience of just one? Have you got an iPhone 5?

nick_elt
Oct 14, 2012, 01:00 PM

I have used all 3 and I would say in my opinion note2> iphone5> sgs3 . I have been using ios for almost 5 years. Jelly bean is smooth as butter on this beast.

daveathall
Oct 14, 2012, 01:27 PM
I have used all 3 and I would say in my opinion note2> iphone5> sgs3 . I have been using ios for almost 5 years. Jelly bean is smooth as butter on this beast.

I am looking forward to Jelly bean when I get it, I personally have only had the pleasure of owning the iPhone 5 and S3 and look forward to having a brief look at the Note 2. On this occasion I enjoy the S3 the most. I have had iPhones from the iP4, this change of heart could be down to just wanting a change, time will tell. What I am confident of, is that anyone buying any of the three should not be disappointed.

nick_elt
Oct 14, 2012, 01:45 PM
[/COLOR]I am looking forward to Jelly bean when I get it, I personally have only had the pleasure of owning the iPhone 5 and S3 and look forward to having a brief look at the Note 2. On this occasion I enjoy the S3 the most. I have had iPhones from the iP4, this change of heart could be down to just wanting a change, time will tell. What I am confident of, is that anyone buying any of the three should not be disappointed.

Competition is always good for the consumer. If Apple did "destroy" android as steve said, it would benefit no one. I think if apple made a iphone "pro" model it would fly off the shelves. Loving the s pen no matter what the fanboys say. Its not just a standard stylus.

----------

One thing I must say to anyone thinking about the note is after using it for a little while how great the size is and how normal it feels now, one thing I was nervous about. My first impressions of the original was "no way" just like a lot of you are saying.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 14, 2012, 02:30 PM
[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]One thing I must say to anyone thinking about the note is after using it for a little while how great the size is and how normal it feels now, one thing I was nervous about. My first impressions of the original was "no way" just like a lot of you are saying.

How about the pocket test? Of course it depends on you and your clothing but in your opinion how is it? Walking around and sitting with a "phablet"?

nick_elt
Oct 14, 2012, 02:41 PM
How about the pocket test? Of course it depends on you and your clothing but in your opinion how is it? Walking around and sitting with a "phablet"?

Fits fine and comfortable. Wear jeans mainly not any short shorts or anything. I noticed my iphone 3g more because of the thickness. Not exaggerating. Its no where near the size of my ipad. Its a large phone not a phablet. Maybe I wont txt and drive anymore, but thats a good thing right.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 14, 2012, 08:51 PM
Fits fine and comfortable. Wear jeans mainly not any short shorts or anything. I noticed my iphone 3g more because of the thickness. Not exaggerating. Its no where near the size of my ipad. Its a large phone not a phablet. Maybe I wont txt and drive anymore, but thats a good thing right.

Haha no texting a driving. thanks for the description. I'm going for the nexus as of now but I'll consider the note.

Edit: maybe lol

PBz
Oct 14, 2012, 10:40 PM
I have both 7" and 10" tablets; the 7" relegated the 10" to bedside nightstand use only. The 7" is my carry companion when I need a tablet on the go. :)

Agree. I like my iPad 3 but my Nexus 7 gets taken more places lately.

----------

To the Note 2 owners, how is photo/image quality? As good as 4S/5? I have read lots of Note 2 reviews & it seems the 5 always wins. Having a 16 month-old the camera is a huge priority to me. Also, any PhotoStream equivalent on Android?

MacBH928
Oct 14, 2012, 11:10 PM

I did not say the Note is as big as a tablet, I said the Note is big enough to replace a tablet. Put it this way, do you really see a need of having a Note II + iPad (Or Asus Transformer?)

And English is not my first language, so instead of criticizing me maybe you should complement me for being bilingual .

----------

That's what happens when you type on a screen that's too small.. ;) :p

I am using 13 inch macbook

Gangnam Style
Oct 15, 2012, 12:41 AM
Can the Iphone do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bse99YMeeoE

Ha ha, Note II FTW!

noisycats
Oct 15, 2012, 01:06 AM
Can the Iphone do this?

Ha ha, Note II FTW!

TextGrabber

nick_elt
Oct 15, 2012, 02:56 AM
Can the Iphone do this?

Ha ha, Note II FTW!

well I just watched the video on the pop up browser while still browsing macrumors. There is plenty of things it can do that the iphone can't.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 15, 2012, 06:59 AM
What interested me most about that video is that he was issuing with one hand for the most part. It wasn't pretty but not impossible either.

theluggage
Oct 15, 2012, 10:43 AM

If you wear a jacket - no problem.

Shirt pocket - fits most shirts but peeks out of the top (VPL - oh no!), so the whole world will know what a big phone you have.

Trousers - fits fine (but I'd want a case for that).

Main criticism physically - it is a bit easy to hit the buttons accidentally when you pick it up. It could also have done with a rubberized coating - the glossy finish is a bit slippery and it's nearly gotten away from me once or twice (I'll be getting a case).

OceanView
Oct 15, 2012, 11:19 AM
I did not say the Note is as big as a tablet, I said the Note is big enough to replace a tablet. Put it this way, do you really see a need of having a Note II + iPad (Or Asus Transformer?)

And English is not my first language, so instead of criticizing me maybe you should complement me for being bilingual

No need for both Phone and an iPad. That's the beauty of the Note. It can be used to handle both functions. I use to carry both an iPhone and an iPad but not anymore. My Note is a perfect combination of phone and tablet that you can carry.

English is my 3rd language and I have no problems. Keep studying.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 15, 2012, 11:40 AM
If you wear a jacket - no problem.

Shirt pocket - fits most shirts but peeks out of the top (VPL - oh no!), so the whole world will know what a big phone you have.

Trousers - fits fine (but I'd want a case for that).

Main criticism physically - it is a bit easy to hit the buttons accidentally when you pick it up. It could also have done with a rubberized coating - the glossy finish is a bit slippery and it's nearly gotten away from me once or twice (I'll be getting a case).

Lol thanks for the perspective. I use my phone one handed sometimes and I don't see that being very possible with the note II. plus I used phone at the gym too and that would be laughable to try with the note II. Of course I haven't tried these things but just my guess.

TheMacBookPro
Oct 15, 2012, 01:58 PM
LOL

LOL

You are not a man if your manliness is determined by what phone you use or what car you drive.

auero
Oct 15, 2012, 02:04 PM
I ordered one to see if I can convince myself to finally switch. Hopefully it comes tomorrow.

nick_elt
Oct 15, 2012, 02:34 PM
I ordered one to see if I can convince myself to finally switch. Hopefully it comes tomorrow.

you wont regret it.

auero
Oct 15, 2012, 03:02 PM
you wont regret it.

Well I've had other android phones prior to the iPhone. I flipped back and forth but Im trapped in this ecosystem. I rely on some iOS apps and iMessages. That's really the biggest feature I still kind of need: iMessages.

einmusiker
Oct 15, 2012, 03:26 PM
Well I've had other android phones prior to the iPhone. I flipped back and forth but Im trapped in this ecosystem. I rely on some iOS apps and iMessages. That's really the biggest feature I still kind of need: iMessages.

google voice>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>iMessages.

not even a competition

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 15, 2012, 03:36 PM

not even a competition

Do you mean google talk >>>> iMessage? I used google voice briefly but it was a long time ago.

nick_elt
Oct 15, 2012, 04:13 PM

you never used a cross platform messanger like whatsapp or what ever the thing is called?

auero
Oct 15, 2012, 04:49 PM

not even a competition

Do you mean google talk >>>> iMessage? I used google voice briefly but it was a long time ago.

you never used a cross platform messanger like whatsapp or what ever the thing is called?

I don't mean to save money. I just have a lot of people who text me via iMessages and I don't get service at my workplace or anywhere near my girlfriends house. This helped me get my messages. I know there are alternatives but that requires people to message you via those. I'm not to fond of porting my number to google voice.

einmusiker
Oct 15, 2012, 05:29 PM

nope I mean google voice. once you use it as your main text/voicemail/phone application it is simply amazing. Those that don't use it are missing out. It's one of the main reasons I stick with android for cell phones as it integrates seamlessly.

golf1410
Oct 15, 2012, 05:31 PM
Stylus LMAO!!!

As far as technology goes, we still use pen and pencil for writing. What is wrong with Stylus?

theluggage
Oct 15, 2012, 05:35 PM
Lol thanks for the perspective. I use my phone one handed sometimes and I don't see that being very possible with the note II. plus I used phone at the gym too and that would be laughable to try with the note II. Of course I haven't tried these things but just my guess.

Actually, if you don't have infinitely extensible thumbs then, in the settings, you can choose 'Single handed mode' for the keypad, in-call buttons etc. which makes them smaller and shifted to the left or right side of the display.

Haven't used that feature yet.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 15, 2012, 06:17 PM
Actually, if you don't have infinitely extensible thumbs then, in the settings, you can choose 'Single handed mode' for the keypad, in-call buttons etc. which makes them smaller and shifted to the left or right side of the display.

Haven't used that feature yet.

Yeah, I've seen it. Not a bad feature.

auero
Oct 16, 2012, 08:32 AM
I cancelled my order. While I don't doubt this is an amazing phone I don't like touchwiz. I was reading the xda developer forums and saw that there isn't a lot of support by cyanogenmod because the lack of support from samsung. Granted its still early but I rather play it safe. I really like a pure android experience but the Nexus line doesn't have expandable memory :(

I'm going to hold off and wait until I see some development before I buy anything.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 16, 2012, 09:10 AM
Call me stupid but I was thinking the whole time that this phone would be 199$. $299 is too much on contract. I will look to get an unlocked new Nexus for $100-150 more.

I prefer at least the option to use one handed and no physical home button and most importantly stock Android.

nick_elt
Oct 16, 2012, 11:58 AM
Call me stupid but I was thinking the whole time that this phone would be 199$. $299 is too much on contract. I will look to get an unlocked new Nexus for $100-150 more.

I prefer at least the option to use one handed and no physical home button and most importantly stock Android.

suprised its that expensive in the states. Its cheaper outright here than the iphone.

F123D
Oct 16, 2012, 03:53 PM
I wished the Note 2 was $199 but not surprised considering the original Note was $299 when it was released.

Not sure why these companis are taking so long to release phones. Each day they wait, a new product is being introduced that makes the buyer reconsider their decision.

ChrisTX
Oct 16, 2012, 07:51 PM

The 32gb, and 64gb iPhone models are both more than $199. Sure I'd rather pay less for this device, but $299 certainly isn't unreasonable for what it is, and considering the note 1 was the same price at launch.

globtroter
Oct 18, 2012, 10:57 PM
That Rocks!
Galaxy S3 software update ALPHA now with SPLIT SCREEN/ MULTIWINDOW feature(same as Note2), processor boosted-1.6 GHz and many more!
It looks like now no big dif.between S3 and Note2 (stylus, screen size)
Link:
http://apkgalaxy.com/android-news/galaxy-s3-alpha-runs-jelly-bean-with-built-in-multi-window-support.html

Bahroo
Oct 26, 2012, 06:55 AM
I've now narrowed my choices down to the GS3, Note 2, and a Windows Phone 8 device. So while still doing my research into picking my next device I came upon this video from Samsung for the Note 2. This thing is truly amazing and what I would call a game changer. I'm not surprised the first Note sold so well for a device of it's size, and I can only think the Note 2 will sell even better. I never thought I'd even be interested in something like this. But I can honestly say, after watching the video and seeing the software features this thing has, I'm HYPED to try one out!!! Love the Air View and Multi Window features just to mention a few. Check out the VIDEO. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8bKvj1ZlsE)

Bravo Samsung! Truly Innovative on both Hardware and Software.

Multi view window feature isnt even available at the moment. Lol fail

----------

not even a competition

Not at all. You know how much people use iMessage? ALOT, your statement is not true what so ever

hot spare
Oct 26, 2012, 07:12 AM

It is available. If it's not available, you must be from US. As usual US is last to get any sort of good stuff.

cynics
Oct 26, 2012, 08:21 AM

----------

Not at all. You know how much people use iMessage? ALOT, your statement is not true what so ever

Huh? With GV you can text anyone including iPhone users for free. Anyone > iOS users. Sure it's not an "iMessage" (lol) but its a free text.

einmusiker
Oct 26, 2012, 09:30 AM

----------

Less than 1% of people in my contacts use imessage

----------

I use immessage on my ipad with exactly 2 people of the 500+ contacts I have. I send thousands of texts per month via google voice. You are living in a bubble of ios alternate reality

craftytony
Oct 26, 2012, 09:34 AM
I think men who buy the Galaxy note use it to compensate for the lack of bulge in their pants?

Bahroo
Oct 26, 2012, 10:13 AM

----------

I use immessage on my ipad with exactly 2 people of the 500+ contacts I have. I send thousands of texts per month via google voice. You are living in a bubble of ios alternate reality

Ok and i text about 10 people with iMessage and i know plenty of friends who have iPhones that use iMessage, espcially girls

----------

:(It is available. If it's not available, you must be from US. As usual US is last to get any sort of good stuff.

But why would Samsung do that? That is a crucial feature in my eyes and as history tells it, the US Note 2 wont be getting a update for a while

golf1410
Oct 26, 2012, 10:31 AM
Where can I buy an unlocked version?

rmhop81
Oct 26, 2012, 10:47 AM
Where can I buy an unlocked version?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=note+ii&x=0&y=0

but keep in mind, unlocked version doesn't have 4g

golf1410
Oct 26, 2012, 01:07 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=note+ii&x=0&y=0

but keep in mind, unlocked version doesn't have 4g

It comes with warranty that I have to buy separately. Do you have a warranty?

mcman77
Oct 26, 2012, 04:53 PM
I think men who buy the Galaxy note use it to compensate for the lack of bulge in their pants?

Or people who like symmetry might be buying it to have to equal buldges :)

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 26, 2012, 06:07 PM
Wow. I just played with the note 2. One word. IMPRESSED.

I could use it with one hand one fine. I was so surprised. And the hand writing recognition with the s pen was amazing especially with my terrible hand writing.

I was a huge doubter of such a huge device but I really think I could get used to it. I could use the s pen to take notes it my work meetings and at church.

It's fast as hell and super smooth. It is now in the running for my next phone and I can't believe it.

The Face
Oct 26, 2012, 06:13 PM
But why would Samsung do that? That is a crucial feature in my eyes and as history tells it, the US Note 2 wont be getting a update for a whileI thought all Note 2's shipped with this feature on stock? I've had it out of the box, but I have the European version.

smellysox8
Oct 26, 2012, 06:28 PM

You should read a book on how to troll. You have a lot of learning to do.

robanga
Oct 26, 2012, 06:30 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing one of these Phablets in the wild. Samsung definitely hit on the right combo for many folks. I know only two owners of the original but both liked it a lot.

F123D
Oct 26, 2012, 08:04 PM

And when you come back and try again, probably best to not mention mens bulges. Makes you look creepy.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 26, 2012, 09:28 PM
Very in depth review and comparison here ...... http://www.heelsandtech.com/2012/10/23/galaxy-note-2-review-note-1-comparison/

OceanView
Oct 26, 2012, 10:43 PM
Wow. I just played with the note 2. One word. IMPRESSED.

I could use it with one hand one fine. I was so surprised. And the hand writing recognition with the s pen was amazing especially with my terrible hand writing.

I was a huge doubter of such a huge device but I really think I could get used to it. I could use the s pen to take notes it my work meetings and at church.

It's fast as hell and super smooth. It is now in the running for my next phone and I can't believe it.

That's exactly what I use to think as well.
I bought the first gen note and now I will get the second version.
It really is an impressive piece of hardware.

Timzer
Oct 26, 2012, 11:08 PM
Very in depth review and comparison here ...... http://www.heelsandtech.com/2012/10/23/galaxy-note-2-review-note-1-comparison/

This reviewer can definitely teach other tech reviewers a thing or two about doing reviews. Engadget, The Verge? Take note.

Picking up a GN2 in a month. Gonna keep my GS3 for flashing custom ROMs. If you can deal with the size, there's nothing that even comes close to this feature PACKED device.

rhinosrcool
Oct 26, 2012, 11:59 PM
This reviewer can definitely teach other tech reviewers a thing or two about doing reviews. Engadget, The Verge? Take note.

Picking up a GN2 in a month. Gonna keep my GS3 for flashing custom ROMs. If you can deal with the size, there's nothing that even comes close to this feature PACKED device.

Yes. She is awesome. By far, the most detailed and easiest to understand reviewer. Plus, she presents things from a non-fanboy perspective. Obviously, both Android and iOS have their plusses and minuses; she presents the facts and let's you decide.

Not since the original iPhone, have I been as excited to get a smartphone. :D

MareLuce
Oct 27, 2012, 10:23 AM
Yup, I mostly see girls with iPhones...Man did I get a testosterone rush when I took my 4s back for a GS3! I felt like a Spartan ready to fight persians.:) LOL.

Well done. In fact, that's the best sarcastic quip I've read here in eons.

michaeljohn
Oct 27, 2012, 10:38 PM
Multi view window feature isnt even available at the moment. Lol fail[COLOR="#808080"]

Multi Window wasnt available at launch on the international version either. It came a few weeks later via an OTA update. Will probably happen with the US version too once all carriers have released it.

craftytony
Oct 29, 2012, 07:48 AM

Could you recommend one? K thanks

opinioncircle
Oct 29, 2012, 09:44 AM

You make a good point, but I do think that also, someone travelling a lot or commuting a lot can see the usage of it.

If you have a work laptop, you can bring on your Note to use as a PA, with a lot of features. It makes sense in my mind :D...

Note: I'm a BB user, one of these 'poor' fellas as the NYT so elegantly put a few weeks back :rolleyes::D....

F123D
Oct 29, 2012, 03:54 PM
With the official Nexus 4 announcement..

Galaxy Note II OR Nexus 4??

The Face
Oct 29, 2012, 03:59 PM

Galaxy Note II OR Nexus 4??Both are in separate leagues IMO. both have very similar specs, but one is a phablet and ones is a normal phone.

It's personal preference really, but in terms of value for your money, the Nexus 4 is the winner.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 29, 2012, 04:37 PM

With the new features of Android 4.2, my decision is 100% made. Nexus 4. Who knows when you would get an update to 4.2 on the Note 2. 3-6 months? No thanks. The note 2 is really nice hardware though besides the plasticky feel...

tdream
Oct 29, 2012, 09:55 PM
Pretty damn cool review. Hope it hasn't been posted already.

HBkY3vg14JM

michaeljohn
Oct 30, 2012, 12:04 AM

The Nexus doesnt have LTE which is just absurd for a new, premium phone. Note 2 and by a mile.

Zwhaler
Oct 30, 2012, 12:51 AM

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=HBkY3vg14JM)

Awesome. This wait for the device on AT&T is taking so long!

aeboi
Oct 30, 2012, 12:56 AM

price point alone, N4

but the very reason why I'm no longer using the HTC One S is because it lacks expandable memory and a removable battery. Maybe I'm just a super power user but I burn through battery life like it's going out of style and a replaceable battery is very important to me.

nick_elt
Oct 30, 2012, 01:11 PM
With the new features of Android 4.2, my decision is 100% made. Nexus 4. Who knows when you would get an update to 4.2 on the Note 2. 3-6 months? No thanks. The note 2 is really nice hardware though besides the plasticky feel...

Can you tell me what's so great about 4.2 over 4.1 on a phone. Maybe I've missed something but I haven't seen anything that amazing

michaeljohn
Oct 30, 2012, 01:27 PM
Can you tell me what's so great about 4.2 over 4.1 on a phone. Maybe I've missed something but I haven't seen anything that amazing

This. Please share whats so amazing about 4.2 you cant wait a few months for it.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 30, 2012, 01:39 PM

It is a minor update but I am currently an iPhone user and I am excited for pure stock android in general and I am spoiled from apple for quick updates. So that's nexus.

4.2 over 4.1 brings the quick toggles which I will love, google now improvements and widgets on the lock screen and the camera gestures are all things I would use over 4.1. Plus like I said I'm spoiled, I have to has the latest and greatest.

nick_elt
Oct 30, 2012, 01:47 PM
It is a minor update but I am currently an iPhone user and I am excited for pure stock android in general and I am spoiled from apple for quick updates. So that's nexus.

4.2 over 4.1 brings the quick toggles which I will love, google now improvements and widgets on the lock screen and the camera gestures are all things I would use over 4.1. Plus like I said I'm spoiled, I have to has the latest and greatest.

I have just come from iphone after 5 years of ios to the galaxy note 2 and Trust me 4.1 is amazing. I found ios updates quick but average at best so I'm not worried about waiting a little at all. All that other stuff you mentioned in sure you can get anyway. It's Android and that s the beauty of Android. You want toggles you can have toggles. Crazy I know.

michaeljohn
Oct 30, 2012, 01:48 PM

One update a year is "quick"?

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 30, 2012, 01:53 PM
One update a year is "quick"?

What I meant is as soon as a new software update is available I will get it. Usually a few days or a week. With non nexus devices it could be 3 months, 6 months, or never.

michaeljohn
Oct 30, 2012, 01:59 PM
What I meant is as soon as a new software update is available I will get it. Usually a few days or a week. With non nexus devices it could be 3 months, 6 months, or never.

Thats why people who want the new updates asap root and ROM. There is a huge community for it. I guarantee I will have the newest Android update on my Note 2 within a few days of it being released to the Nexus 4.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 30, 2012, 02:03 PM
Thats why people who want the new updates asap root and ROM. There is a huge community for it. I guarantee I will have the newest Android update on my Note 2 within a few days of it being released to the Nexus 4.

Guarantee is a strong word my friend ;-) I have Been down the rooting/ flashing route on and android as well as the jailbreaking route on iPhone. I personally want nothing to do with either of them anymore. I don't care to put the time or Effort in. That's just me. Plus there are a skew of other reasons I'm picking the nexus over the note as well.

F123D
Oct 30, 2012, 02:15 PM
I read google now has already been updated for 4.1 users in the playstore to have the features of 4.2. Is this correct?

The Face
Oct 30, 2012, 03:40 PM
The Note 2 isn't worth rooting at the moment anyway, there's currently no AOSP ROM'S available, only tweaked stock ROMS.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 30, 2012, 03:58 PM
I have just come from iphone after 5 years of ios to the galaxy note 2 and Trust me 4.1 is amazing. I found ios updates quick but average at best so I'm not worried about waiting a little at all. All that other stuff you mentioned in sure you can get anyway. It's Android and that s the beauty of Android. You want toggles you can have toggles. Crazy I know.

Lol I know. I have had android in the past and rooted and tweaked and put custom ROMS on and all that. Even though toggles don't require rooting. I am just a big fan of the stock experience and fast updates that come with Nexus.

Edit: I can't even lie. These Lebron commercials make me want the note 2. Lol advertising works sometimes. :-D

F123D
Oct 30, 2012, 10:27 PM
Serious question. Has anyone ever have any issues with screen burn in with an amoled device?

Doc750
Oct 30, 2012, 11:08 PM
Just placed my preorder for two note 2's on Verizon.

Goodbye AT&T and your crap service

apple get your **** together real quick or your next.

Doc750
Oct 30, 2012, 11:28 PM

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=HBkY3vg14JM)

That was an awesome review! I'm really excited to get this phone. It's like when I for the first iPhone.

golf1410
Oct 31, 2012, 03:16 AM
Guys, I bought just samsung galaxy note 2 for 700$ from tmobile. I am so worried that I cant bring it back to my country as I am in usa right now. Will it be able to be unlocked? Can I pop any sim card in? Anyone? Expert?

Lindenhurst
Oct 31, 2012, 01:24 PM

The number is higher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heck....I have an S3 with ICS and just sold my Nex7 with Jellybean, and didn't see any advantage of jellybean over the ICS.
Sometimes we get caught up in always thinking the next software upgrade is vastly better than the current.....when in many cases it is just a bit better...if that.

nick_elt
Oct 31, 2012, 01:35 PM
The number is higher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heck....I have an S3 with ICS and just sold my Nex7 with Jellybean, and didn't see any advantage of jellybean over the ICS.
Sometimes we get caught up in always thinking the next software upgrade is vastly better than the current.....when in many cases it is just a bit better...if that.

Or a bit (alot) worse (iphone 3g on 4.x.x or even ios 6 for those that must have google maps)

Goratrix
Oct 31, 2012, 01:50 PM
Serious question. Has anyone ever have any issues with screen burn in with an amoled device?

Yes.

However, that's on the original HTC Desire, 2 years 7 months old now... the clock in the upper right corner in the taskbar is burned in. But it's visible only when I have a clear white background in that spot and am really looking for it. Practically unnoticable in normal use, but it is there.

walie
Oct 31, 2012, 02:29 PM

quick toggles have been available by numerous apps for phones that don't have them already. The google now improvements actually come in the update to the google voice search app for 4.1+ devices. And besides, it has been shown time and time again on developers ripping features from the latest version of android and adapting them to older builds.

F123D
Nov 2, 2012, 02:36 PM
Yes.

However, that's on the original HTC Desire, 2 years 7 months old now... the clock in the upper right corner in the taskbar is burned in. But it's visible only when I have a clear white background in that spot and am really looking for it. Practically unnoticable in normal use, but it is there.

I wont be keeping any phone for over 2 years anyway. Will probably even upgrade after one year. Did anyone have any burn in issues during the first year of use?

I know Samsung has sold millions of phones (as well as other devices using amoled) and I've only found a couple dozen of burn in threads online the past couple of years. Is it not as big of an issue as the online community makes it out to be?

OceanView
Nov 2, 2012, 02:41 PM
No issues with my screen on my note. Actually this is the first time I've heard anything about screen issues. I've heard more about iPhone 5 issues than anything Samsung.

F123D
Nov 2, 2012, 04:10 PM
Just found out speaking to a rep that I have a 20% company discount on handsets (excluding :apple: of course).

That makes the Note II $240 instead of $299 on contract.. decisions..

OceanView
Nov 2, 2012, 04:21 PM
Just found out speaking to a rep that I have a 20% company discount on handsets (excluding :apple: of course).

That makes the Note II $240 instead of $299 on contract.. decisions..

That's great.
I ordered my note II yesterday with no discount.
I'm buying early so I can sell my Note I for maximum dollar hopefully.

aeboi
Nov 2, 2012, 09:33 PM
Just received mine today. Very much awesome.

Doc750
Nov 2, 2012, 10:45 PM
I played around with one at the Samsung kiosk in the mall, totally awesome phone, cant wait for mine to get here.

gnr319
Nov 3, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hey guys, I will be switching to the Note II on ATT come the 9th. Should I pre order or will it be safe to walk in?

I didn't think that Samsung launches would come with the same hysteria as Apple but the Note II is getting a lot of attention.

thenaes
Nov 4, 2012, 06:51 PM
The Note 2 is indeed awesome, but I actually wish it was a little smaller. 5.5" is gigantic.

ixodes
Nov 4, 2012, 07:09 PM
Finally I've had an opportunity to use a Note II for a couple of days. This is one very impressive device. Faster than I anticipated, a bit ungainly when being carried, nonetheless it's an incredibly well thought out device that has carved out a well deserved niche.

There's no question why these sell so well, of all the compromises required of any mobile device, Samsung didn't give up anything important to make the Note II as special as it is.

I have no hesitation in endorsing this model to anyone who desires a roomy comfortable model.

F123D
Nov 5, 2012, 12:08 AM
Went to a TMobile store to play around with the Note some more. This store didn't have a display model but the saleperson let me borrow hers to play around with. I was 50/50 with the Note and Nexus but I'm starting to lean towards the Note. I keep hearing cheap ugly plastic but the phone feels solid and I'm loving that titanium grey look. Screen real estate is awesome and love finding and learning new features. Picked up a 64gb microsd card and have excellent LTE coverage. Unless I see some amazing Nexus reviews in the next couple of days, its starting to look like the Note II might be my next phone.

45commando
Nov 5, 2012, 07:50 AM
The Note 2 is indeed awesome, but I actually wish it was a little smaller. 5.5" is gigantic.

SIII???:cool:

----------

By the way, I'm new here. Been a guest on here for many months but only just registered!

Anyway, I've just switched from IOS to Android and pick up my Note 2 tomorrow.

Main reason for switching is because I'm bored of the iPhone experience. Can't wait for my new phone.

onthecouchagain
Nov 5, 2012, 09:23 AM
I'm really happy the Note II has taken off so well. Samsung's made a quality product with a ton of new and impressive features while maintaining great battery life.

Going to be hard to beat. Sounds like the only things the Nexus 4 will have over it are stock Android and updates.

riverob
Nov 5, 2012, 09:41 AM
That's what I think about the 7" tablets like the Galaxy Tab and (presumably) forthcoming iPad Mini, which really are too big to be a phone and too small to be a tablet.

However, unlike these, the Note II is just small enough to live in a shirt or inside jacket pocket - and I think that is what makes the crucial difference. Compared to a phone, the big screen is much nicer for web browsing and maps, when you're using it as a GPS it's big enough to actually see (I currently drive Das Mini and if I mounted an iPad on the windshield I wouldn't be able to see out!) and the on-screen keyboard is good.

I've actually just got a Note II (to replace my ancient HTC Hero... I have a Mac, an iPad and an older iPod Touch, so when it comes to phones I'm looking for something different to scratch the gadget itch - the maps fiasco hasn't helped).

However, one warning for Mac users: syncing with a Mac via USB is a pain - the Android File Transfer program for Mac seems to just plain not work with the current version of Android, and iPhoto doesn't seem to want to play, either. Samsung provide a syncing App called "Kies" (?) which "works for me" (others have reported problems) but is a bit temperamental - and is awfully clunky.

Not quite such a deal-breaker these days - you can use Google to sync your contacts and calendars, and Google Drive or Dropbox let you exchange files, but getting your music collection with playlists intact is going to be a pain.

The default music player on Android sucks, too, but there are plenty of alternatives.

Have you tried Poweramp or Google Play Music? The latter is free. The thing that's great with the music aspect and Android is that I can delete songs at will whereas you have to sync your iPhone music library with iTunes in order to get rid of it.

theluggage
Nov 5, 2012, 09:58 AM
Have you tried Poweramp or Google Play Music? The latter is free. The thing that's great with the music aspect and Android is that I can delete songs at will whereas you have to sync your iPhone music library with iTunes in order to get rid of it.

Google Play Music isn't available where I live. I agree that this sort of service is the long term solution, but it is not yet there for everybody.

The advantage of the iTunes way of doing things is that you can manage your playlists on the desktop and then sync just the changes to the phone. Given the time it takes to sync a substantial music collection, that's a huge advantage.

F123D
Nov 5, 2012, 02:00 PM
I'm really happy the Note II has taken off so well. Samsung's made a quality product with a ton of new and impressive features while maintaining great battery life.

Going to be hard to beat. Sounds like the only things the Nexus 4 will have over it are stock Android and updates.

And price, and unlocked, and contract free. :p

riverob
Nov 5, 2012, 03:36 PM
For anyone interested in getting this device, Newegg has a $90 off promo coupon that ends today. It's about $590 shipped.

THE JUICEMAN
Nov 5, 2012, 04:04 PM

Don't forget about the screen quality. To me LCD is way better than SAMOLED. And the build quality should be better on the Nexus as well IMO.

F123D
Nov 5, 2012, 05:21 PM
Just preordered my Galaxy Note II. :)

I have a 20% off handset discount through my company. I also spoke with AT&T cancellation/resolutions dept and they offered additional credit/discount towards my phone/bill so I ended up getting the Note II for $95 on contract. Free 2 day shipping, no upgrade fee. :D

einmusiker
Nov 5, 2012, 05:31 PM
How much is it off contract for verizon?

OceanView
Nov 5, 2012, 05:44 PM

I have a 20% off handset discount through my company. I also spoke with AT&T cancellation/resolutions dept and they offered additional credit/discount towards my phone/bill so I ended up getting the Note II for $95 on contract. Free 2 day shipping, no upgrade fee. :D

Must be nice to get those discounts.
Some of us are paying full retail to upgrade :(

PDFierro
Nov 5, 2012, 05:51 PM
how much is it off contract for verizon?

dvrmstrng
Nov 5, 2012, 06:35 PM

Oh boy going with the Note II huh....

F123D
Nov 5, 2012, 07:10 PM
Oh boy going with the Note II huh....

One of the main reasons I wanted the Nexus was the price point but its hard to give up excellent LTE coverage where I live and upgradable storage. Once I got the price down on the Note II, it made the decision easier.

If LTE wasnt available where I lived, I probably would've gone with the Nexus.

No matter which you choose, its a win win. :)

dvrmstrng
Nov 5, 2012, 07:19 PM
One of the main reasons I wanted the Nexus was the price point but its hard to give up excellent LTE coverage where I live and upgradable storage. Once I got the price down on the Note II, it made the decision easier.

If LTE wasnt available where I lived, I probably would've gone with the Nexus.

No matter which you choose, its a win win. :)

I agree. I still don't know if I could do the note II due to its physical size. How does HSPA+(spelling?) compared to 3g speeds? If it's faster than 3G anything will be better than what I have now.

F123D
Nov 5, 2012, 08:58 PM
I agree. I still don't know if I could do the note II due to its physical size. How does HSPA+(spelling?) compared to 3g speeds? If it's faster than 3G anything will be better than what I have now.

Have you played around with the phone? I spent a bit of time with it at T-Mobile and Sprint stores and it felt fine, did the pocket test, sat up and down, etc, and didn't have any issues.

I've been looking at AT&T hspa+ speeds since that's the network I'm on and the average I saw was around 3 - 7Mbps. T-Mobile has a faster 4G network, I saw anywhere from 8 - 13 average. Of course results could be even higher or lower depending where you are.

Compare that to AT&T LTE in my area which I got 25 - 35 down, up to 50 and so it was hard not to choose LTE.

dvrmstrng
Nov 5, 2012, 09:00 PM
I've been looking at AT&T hspa+ speeds since that's the network I'm on and the average I saw was around 3 - 7Mbps. T-Mobile has a faster 4G network, I saw anywhere from 8 - 13 average. Of course results could be even higher or lower depending where you are.

Compare that to AT&T LTE in my area which I got 25 - 35 down, up to 50 and so it was hard not to choose LTE.

Can't argue with that. I don't use the internet on my phone too much so i may have to give the ol' Nexus a shot.

F123D
Nov 5, 2012, 09:02 PM
Yeah, another reason is if you have "unlimited" data, AT&T throttles your LTE usage after 5gb but throttles your 3G/4G after 3gb. If you don't use a lot of internet and feel the Note might be to big, the Nexus would be a great choice.

flameproof
Nov 5, 2012, 09:15 PM
I wonder why Samsung didn't bring out a 7" pad with S-Pen function?

S-Pen for me is a game changer.

THE JUICEMAN
Nov 5, 2012, 09:18 PM
Have you played around with the phone? I spent a bit of time with it at T-Mobile and Sprint stores and it felt fine, did the pocket test, sat up and down, etc, and didn't have any issues.

Awesome discounts! I am glad you were able to make a decision. I am still having trouble.

I used to think I couldn't deal with touchwiz but its really not that bad. Also the development community I believe will be strong for this device just like it is for the S3. So I could be CM10 on if I start to hate touchwiz. I also believed that the size was outrageous. After trying it in the store it is not that bad either. Holding it up to my ear does seem a bit rediculous though. Did you do that test?

Also, I went and played with an LG Optimus G today. Surprisingly, its width made the phone very awkward and uncomfortable. I am pretty sure the Nexus has that same width. It makes no sense but the Note actually felt better in hand. I am going to try them both at t mobile next week.

On top of that I still have an interest in the HTC One X plus and HTC DNA because of the design and amazing screens that they have. What is a guy to do with all of these first world problems?!