Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
H,

I have just tried to set up my new iPhone but I have a first generation MacBook Pro with iOS 10.6.8 as that's the latest OS that model will run. I can't install iTunes 7 on that and it won let me sync my new phone. Is tere a way around this or will I need to return the phone? I can't afford a new computer at the moment?!

Cheers.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
H,

I have just tried to set up my new iPhone but I have a first generation MacBook Pro with iOS 10.6.8 as that's the latest OS that model will run. I can't install iTunes 7 on that and it won let me sync my new phone. Is tere a way around this or will I need to return the phone? I can't afford a new computer at the moment?!

Cheers.

Bootcamp, in windows it allows you to sync with the latest iTunes.
Or a Virtual machine like parallels desktop or similar.

negrohero9

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
D[M]V
Setting it up as a new iPhone is your best bet unfortunately. You can do that thru wifi.
Or you could try to do a setup from backup of iCloud...that may work too.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
To set the iPhone up and getting it to work you dont need iTunes at all. To transfer music and your contacts from the PC, yeah thats a nusance and I am not sure of a way around other than Windows as was suggested (and iTunes on Windows still sucks, but it does work)

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Thanks for the Replies. I have set up iCloud on the iPhone 5 so have calendars, contacts, emails etc but can't get any music / photos across, need to download all the apps again (not end of the world but a real pain!) and will loose all my text messages.

Seems a real pain that apple won't allow users of older machines to do this. I have boot camp and will look at iTunes 7 but means moving my entire music collection over to the windows side..

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks for the Replies. I have set up iCloud on the iPhone 5 so have calendars, contacts, emails etc but can't get any music / photos across, need to download all the apps again (not end of the world but a real pain!) and will loose all my text messages.

Seems a real pain that apple won't allow users of older machines to do this. I have boot camp and will look at iTunes 7 but means moving my entire music collection over to the windows side..

You're welcome

Moving all your music over to windows:confused: for what?

I know there is a program which allows HFS+ to be mounted in Windows, if you get that to work you won't have to move your Music.
But, I also hope that you can point your iTunes folder to the one in your Mac environment and lets hope that it is the same structure.
The reason I tell you this is that you do not have to set it up like new, especially when you have a large Library and many playlist it is a pain in the behind.
If you don't know what I mean just tell.

Edit: I never used Parallels desktop nor any other newer Intel VM but you might be lucky, maybe that on is integrated in the Mac environment and if that is the case I would go that way.

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
I may give that a go with pointing windows to my mac music folder on boot camp. Just a lot of hassle.

As for iTunes Match, again a lot of hassle and I work as a musician so have lots of music on my iTunes and iPhone that isn't published/on iTunes etc.

I have just spoken to O2 and can post the iPhone 5 back and order a 4s (that works with iTunes 6 I guess?) I'm not overly impressed with the 5 anyway if I'm honest. Different design but nothing particularly special compared to the 4+4s.

Just very annoying that at some point they may prevent new iOS' from working with my machine and force me to buy a new computer which I have little need for. Think ill just get a 4s to replace my damaged 4.

Cheers for the help again.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I may give that a go with pointing windows to my mac music folder on boot camp. Just a lot of hassle.

As for iTunes Match, again a lot of hassle and I work as a musician so have lots of music on my iTunes and iPhone that isn't published/on iTunes etc.

I have just spoken to O2 and can post the iPhone 5 back and order a 4s (that works with iTunes 6 I guess?) I'm not overly impressed with the 5 anyway if I'm honest. Different design but nothing particularly special compared to the 4+4s.

Just very annoying that at some point they may prevent new iOS' from working with my machine and force me to buy a new computer which I have little need for. Think ill just get a 4s to replace my damaged 4.

Cheers for the help again.

Just sad it is, you CAN sync on an old windows pc with XP(I think) yet can't do it on PPC.
The only thing needed was an updated kext and wouldn't be too much of a problem to write the code for.
Sadly, people with new iPhones and PPC computers are doomed.

Good luck, an iPhone 4S is still a very good phone, hell I have a 3GS with iOS 6 and it's still a very good phone.

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Well my iPhone 4 works great with ios6 and I believe some of the features which don't work with a 4 will do with a 4s anyway? (Face time on 3G etc)? I was just upgrading the phone to a 5 as I am due an upgrade and my iPhone 4 has a cracked back so thought I may as well upgrade to the newest model.

If first gen MacBook pros could run OS X.6 then I would update it but x.5 is the latest OS the first round of intel macs can run.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have just tried to set up my new iPhone but I have a first generation MacBook Pro with iOS 10.6.8

Your first post says this...

Well my iPhone 4 works great with ios6 and I believe some of the features which don't work with a 4 will do with a 4s anyway? (Face time on 3G etc)? I was just upgrading the phone to a 5 as I am due an upgrade and my iPhone 4 has a cracked back so thought I may as well upgrade to the newest model.

If first gen MacBook pros could run OS X.6 then I would update it but x.5 is the latest OS the first round of intel macs can run.

And then ??????

Last edited:

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Think that was a typo-am on OS X.5. I looked at updating to x.6 but its not compatible with my MacBook Pro.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
H,

Cheers.

The first gen mbp with 10.6.8 will run itunes 10.7 just fine. I know this for a fact, because I'm typing this message on such a machine, running that software. Sometimes certain updates are required in order to install certain applications. Just keep running software update until itunes 10.7 comes up.

----------

Think that was a typo-am on OS X.5. I looked at updating to x.6 but its not compatible with my MacBook Pro.

Oh dang, didn't see that. Yes, 10.6 is compatible with your computer.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The first gen mbp with 10.6.8 will run itunes 10.7 just fine. I know this for a fact, because I'm typing this message on such a machine, running that software. Sometimes certain updates are required in order to install certain applications. Just keep running software update until itunes 10.7 comes up.

----------

Oh dang, didn't see that. Yes, 10.6 is compatible with your computer.

Must be a happy man now that He knows this:D

I Myself was aware that he could run 10.6.8, said so in his original post so I thought he couldn't install iTunes 10.7, yet here is the proof.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada

They cannot keep supporting older machines indefinitely. That's an unrealistic expectation from any software company.

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
I have just spoken to apple and my machine will run itunes7, quite right. Apologies for the typo at the start-and thanks for the help. I think 10.6 is the last compatible Os I can run but misread that on the apple website.

Thanks again.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I have just spoken to apple and my machine will run itunes7, quite right. Apologies for the typo at the start-and thanks for the help. I think 10.6 is the last compatible Os I can run but misread that on the apple website.

Thanks again.

When the iteration of iTunes comes out and iOS 7 is released next year, you will more than likely have to upgrade your computer... I would suggest looking online for a newer(used) computer at a great price.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
You should be able to simply back up your iPhone 4 using iCloud, then restore your new iPhone 5 from that backup.
This will copy back all of your apps, settings, sms messages etc.

You will only need iTunes to copy/sync music etc. which others have already said

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
When the iteration of iTunes comes out and iOS 7 is released next year, you will more than likely have to upgrade your computer... I would suggest looking online for a newer(used) computer at a great price.

Might but not sure if he needs to upgrade.

The AppleMobileDevice.kext was updated because of the new Lightning Cable, it might as well be that iOS 7 and iPhone 5 will be compatible with older iTunes.

For instance, I have a PPC machine and a 3GS, it's on iOS 6 and have no trouble synching it on iTunes 10.6.3.

You should be able to simply back up your iPhone 4 using iCloud, then restore your new iPhone 5 from that backup.
This will copy back all of your apps, settings, sms messages etc.

You will only need iTunes to copy/sync music etc. which others have already said

If you read the thread you would know it is already solved, He can run OS X 10.6.8 and iTunes 10.7.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Might but not sure if he needs to upgrade.

The AppleMobileDevice.kext was updated because of the new Lightning Cable, it might as well be that iOS 7 and iPhone 5 will be compatible with older iTunes.

For instance, I have a PPC machine and a 3GS, it's on iOS 6 and have no trouble synching it on iTunes 10.6.3.

If you read the thread you would know it is already solved, He can run OS X 10.6.8 and iTunes 10.7.

whatever

Mfnd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Thanks again for the help. I ordered 10.6 from the telephone apple store. The lady said this is very common since the iPhone 5 came out and that you can only buy 10.6 over the phone now for £14, not online or instore. She said lots of people are buying it elsewhere for up to £80 to get their phones working.

She confirmed that my machine won't run 10.7+.

All ordered, should arrive in a few weeks (very high demand for it at the moment!)

Cheers again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.