Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
A thread to celebrate good or great industrial design and Mac-like qualities in any product. Pen, watch, shoes, stapler... whatever you want.

A definition of these 'Mac-like' qualities would include: robustness, simplicity, elegance, ease of use and perhaps a certain amount of affection towards the product.

My nomination is for my favourite kitchen gadget and the one I use at least once per day: The 2-slice Dualit toaster.

2BRV_large.jpg

Built to last, nice to look at, fool-proof to operate... if it ever broke down, it can be repaired by the manufacturer rather than thrown out -- after untold cheap and nasty toasters that lasted as long as their guarantees, it's nice to have something that's a little more substantial. Like a Mac, it may cost a little more, but it represents excellent value. I love it to bits...

*munches crunchy peanut butter on whole wheat toast and sips coffee* :)

SFVCyclone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Pasadena, Ca
So it cant be Apple designed, hmmmm just makes it that much harder. Have to think for a bit :confused: ..............OK back my canon powershot s50, easy to use, in my experience VERY rugged, made to last, its taken some good hits for the team. i really like how to turn it on you slide the cover away from the lens.
unlike my friends new sony, gosh that thing sucks, color on pictures themselves is too contrasty, to turn it on its a little button you have to find.

ok enough from me the ONE and ONLY

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Blue Velvet said:
A thread to celebrate good or great industrial design and Mac-like qualities in any product. Pen, watch, shoes, stapler... whatever you want.

A definition of these 'Mac-like' qualities would include: robustness, simplicity, elegance, ease of use and perhaps a certain amount of affection towards the product.

My nomination is for my favourite kitchen gadget and the one I use at least once per day: The 2-slice Dualit toaster.

Built to last, nice to look at, fool-proof to operate... if it ever broke down, it can be repaired by the manufacturer rather than thrown out -- after untold cheap and nasty toasters that lasted as long as their guarantees, it's nice to have something that's a little more substantial. Like a Mac, it may cost a little more, but it represents excellent value. I love it to bits...

*munches crunchy peanut butter on whole wheat toast and sips coffee* :)
They do:

Attachments

• 04_2.JPG.jpg
    04_2.JPG.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 1,331

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
A thread to celebrate ...The 2-slice Dualit toaster....

....*munches crunchy peanut butter on whole wheat toast and sips coffee* :)
Somebody's sat at home eating toast all day while they're off work aren't they?
When I was ill as a kid my mum's 'secret' cure-all was chicken soup and toast soldiers. :)

Next:- What's your favourite day-time TV show?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
How about this one: the Simplehuman butterfly trash can. It fits into small spaces, and the top opens upward when you step on it, so you can actually fit trash in all the way up to the top.

Attachments

• p-can-bfly-38.jpg
    p-can-bfly-38.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 160

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
mpw said:
Somebody's sat at home eating toast all day while they're off work aren't they?

And why not?! I didn't have surgery on my mouth... although there's probably loads of people who would wish I had.

On topic: My second nomination would probably be the Swiss Railway Watch. I don't have one but I do like them...

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
iToast ... mmm, this thread makes me hungry :)

Shouldn't it be PM G5 - Style ? :cool:

Edit: Sorry no time for PS now, to the shower.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
patek phillippe calatrava watch

patek phillippe calatrava watch

simple. elegant. known worldwide as one of the, if the not the premier watch-maker.

totally apple style- works unfailably, looks good doing it, classy

Attachments

• watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 124

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
And why not?!.....

On topic: My second nomination would probably be the Swiss Railway Watch. I don't have one but I do like them...
Oh don't get me wrong I'm a huge toast fan. I remember once, lates teen/early 20's, having the house to myself one night, renting a few videos(pre-DVD days) and taking the toaster, a loaf of thick sliced, ½lb of butter and a mini jar of Marmite into the living room....only the toaster returned.

Have you ever been tempted by a commercial toaster like those at hotel breafast buffets? .........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm endless toast :D

I'm a Rolex man myself.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Why not get a watch that doesn't need battery at all, but are powered by your arm movement (even if there were some cracks that I was so lazy that the watch would stop... :mad: and then it did... :eek: ;)), there's something very Apple-like in making very stylish watch that's just a little different:

swatch_irony_automatic.png

Swatch Irony Automatic

Which reminds me: I need a new strap for mine...

Guitarius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2004
Louisiana
M3068.jpg

Born shoes, Solo.

God damn these shoes are lasting forever. I wear them everyday, all day, and not one thing has happened to them yet, apart from the laces breaking, and that was because they got caught on my bike chain. And they're super comfy, and go with just about any outfit I've selected. Everyone should get a pair of Born shoes.

atakordie

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2005
Columbia, SC
Agree, Mitthrawnuruodo, I picked up a body & soul Swatch automatic in Florence in 2000. Makes a very interesting watch for looking at and conversation, as there is no face so you can see through to the crystal on the backside.

SFVCyclone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Pasadena, Ca
Another favorite of mine is the cologne Aqua Di Gio
aqua_gio_man.jpg

Makes girls go wild. if you dont have it, GET IT!!
Design of the bottle and logo is apple-like i believe, very simple. ;)

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Every year, ID Magazine puts out a design review right around this time. It has some fascinating consumer products, architecture, graphic work, and concepts. The consumer products in particular often blow me away with their ingenuity. It is a GREAT read, every year.

EDIT: As far as watches go, though, I would kill for a Movado:
0605557.jpg
0605556.jpg

I have a Fossil watch that replicates the look...but it's still not the same.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Good thread Blue ;) :)

Righty then... lets go. :)

Audi... with the 'Rosemeyer' design study and 'Cross' mountain bike.

Audi literally are the Apple of the automotive world. No other car manufacturer, and certainly no other mainstream manufacturer puts so much empahsis in the design of their products as Audi. ;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Bang & Olufsen.

The influence of this company on the landscape of product design is immeasurable. I really need say no more.

Here we have the classic 'Beomaster 2400' from 1977 and a pair of 'Beovox 2500' 'cubes' from 1967.

Beautiful.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Ferrari.

Whilst they've made some extraordinarily beautiful road cars over the years, (250 GT SWB California Spyder, 250 GTO, 288 GTO, Testarossa all spring to mind) it's their F1 cars that should be considered the most pure and functional of design.

Here we have a 640 from 1989, and its sister car the 641 from 1990. The stark simplicity and beauty, is IMHO one of the most beautiful examples of design in any discipline.

There design is held in such high regard, that the 641 is on display at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
Blue Velvet said:

hah, we have that same toaster..although I've never quite understood the price-tag associated with it? :eek:

my favourite item in our kitchen is the FA Porsche Kettle..

http://www.johnlewis.com/Electrical/Kitchen+Appliances/Tea+and+Coffee/Kettles/230134811/Product.aspx

230134811.jpg

Designed well. Sturdy. Intelligent (does some quirky things). In fact most things designed by FA Porsche are designed incredibly well..and things like their lighters have a great out-of-box-experience, just like Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.