PDA

View Full Version : Found an old recorder with a tape.

Undecided
Oct 1, 2012, 11:20 AM
Rummaging around in my parents' house, I found an old cassette tape recorder that my parents had probably from around 1969 or so.

With a tape in it.

So, tape and recorder are over 40 years old!

But it takes C batteries, so I popped four in, and the damned thing works.

I just listened long enough this morning, to hear it working. It sounds like my parents reading to my brother or something.

Man, they don't make things like they used to. Now I need to record the audio on my Mac or something.

I also have some reel to reel audio. That's going to be a pain to digitize.

Mr. McMac
Oct 1, 2012, 11:37 AM
Rummaging around in my parents' house, I found an old cassette tape recorder that my parents had probably from around 1969 or so.

With a tape in it.

So, tape and recorder are over 40 years old!

But it takes C batteries, so I popped four in, and the damned thing works.

I just listened long enough this morning, to hear it working. It sounds like my parents reading to my brother or something.

Man, they don't make things like they used to. Now I need to record the audio on my Mac or something.

I have reel to reel tapes that I recorded back in the early 60's when I was a kid that still work. I recently converted some of them to digital. It's nice to hear my parents and grand parents who are no longer with us speak. To be honest, they are a bit sad to listen to..

Undecided
Oct 1, 2012, 12:15 PM
Any suggestions on how to find a local reel to reel enthusiast who would be willing to convert the reels?

spoonie1972
Oct 1, 2012, 02:34 PM
local where?

as for recording - now you have a memo machine with a built-in limited wherever you go if you have a modern phone... and the chances of running out of 'tape' are a lot slimmer.

that said, i do miss my old sony (with the slide-in-out carrying handle) tape recording with the built in mic and speaker.

ChrisA
Oct 2, 2012, 11:43 AM

Why? Assuming you have a reel to reel tape machine. It is easy. Just plug the tape machine into the Mac's audio interface and you are set, use Garage Band.

If you don't have a reel to reel machine, look on eBay

The other route is simply to "outsource" the job

I looked around on Google for 2 minutes and found you can have the work done for about $35/hr. That is a lot cheaper than buying your own equipment for just one or two reels of tape.
http://www.dvdyourmemories.com/services/audio-transfer/
I know NOTHING about the above. Google found many others so check them out.

----------

Any suggestions on how to find a local reel to reel enthusiast who would be willing to convert the reels?

Convert the reels to what? I think they were standardized. All 1/4 inch tape comes on the same reels except some were larger diameter. (I assume this is 1/4 inch. They made wider tapes but not for home use.