PDA

View Full Version : Lightning cable defects-3 of 5 defective

blackjackmark
Oct 1, 2012, 03:16 PM
I ordered an extra Lightning cable when I ordered my phone. The one with the phone works, the one that came separate did not. So I call Apple for a replacement, which I received today, along with three others that I ordered separately. Of the four new cables, only one works.

They work if I press hard into the charge Jack. But as soon as I let up, the charge symbol goes away.

Now I'm starting to wonder if it's my phone?

Thoughts?

cipher29
Oct 1, 2012, 03:18 PM
I bought 3 cables and all work ... :confused:

Givmeabrek
Oct 1, 2012, 03:22 PM
I have 3 and they all work fine. Be sure that you don't have a case blocking the opening. I have a cheap case that needed some "adjustment". :cool:

InfinitiG
Oct 1, 2012, 03:44 PM
yea i dont think so my friend

digitalfx
Oct 1, 2012, 03:47 PM
I have a total of 5 cables and not one single issue.

nlkccom
Oct 1, 2012, 03:47 PM
The one that came with my iPhone 5 stopped working after a week.

Went to Apple Store and had it replaced on the spot.

jlake02
Oct 1, 2012, 03:55 PM
I bought 1 backup chord for the USB plug in my car. Haven't tried it yet. Now you have me paranoid. THANKS! :D

PaulyD
Oct 1, 2012, 03:57 PM
The one that came with my phone was intermittent but got replaced today no questions asked. He didnt even test it before getting me a replacement. The one i bought new was fine out of the box

Geckotek
Oct 1, 2012, 03:58 PM
I ordered an extra Lightning cable when I ordered my phone. The one with the phone works, the one that came separate did not. So I call Apple for a replacement, which I received today, along with three others that I ordered separately. Of the four new cables, only one works.

They work if I press hard into the charge Jack. But as soon as I let up, the charge symbol goes away.

Now I'm starting to wonder if it's my phone?

Thoughts?

Just a thought, perhaps the jack is the issue? Have you tried the cables on other phones?

blackjackmark
Oct 1, 2012, 04:42 PM
I have 3 and they all work fine. Be sure that you don't have a case blocking the opening. I have a cheap case that needed some "adjustment". :cool:

OMG do I feel stupid. I have a bumper on it that I thought was totally clear where the charger inserts. But there was a very thin piece of plastic that would not let the charger fully seat.

It's a shame that AppleCare's first directive wasn't "please remove the bumper and see if that helps"!

Geckotek
Oct 1, 2012, 04:44 PM
OMG do I feel stupid. I have a bumper on it that I thought was totally clear where the charger inserts. But there was a very thin piece of plastic that would not let the charger fully seat.

It's a shame that AppleCare's first directive wasn't "please remove the bumper and see if that helps"!

:eek:

This made me lol :p Thank you for the update...good news.

Cripps
Oct 2, 2012, 03:53 AM
OMG do I feel stupid...

AppleCare should also tell you to be careful crossing the street. ;)

nlkccom
Oct 2, 2012, 07:49 AM
The replacement cable that I got a few days ago died on me again! WTF? :mad:

Leonard1818
Oct 2, 2012, 07:51 AM

Give the person a break...

Must be nice to have never made any silly mistakes in life. Tell me more about how great you are at everything! :p

Jman13
Oct 2, 2012, 07:51 AM
Odd. I have 5 total and all work perfectly.

pnoyblazed
Oct 2, 2012, 07:58 AM
I have 3... 2 of them are still in the box.. this thread made me want to check them lol

BSoares
Oct 2, 2012, 08:46 AM
My wife said that the cable that came with her iPhone 5 only charges if she plugs it on way, if it's upside down it can sync fine with iTunes but doesn't charge. I have yet to try/verify this myself but she said now every time she wants it to charge she has to make sure it goes in proper side up or it won't charge. We got an extra one and that one seems to be fine but only using on the wall outlet, not with the computer.

mcdj
Oct 2, 2012, 09:18 AM
Odd. I have 5 total and all work perfectly.

way to read the thread. nothing odd about it.

NickRno77
Oct 2, 2012, 09:21 AM
i bought 3 cables and all work ... :confused:

ditto :)

PittsDriver
Oct 2, 2012, 09:56 AM
Ive got 5, they all work.

conshok26
Oct 2, 2012, 10:15 AM
I have an issue with the cable that came with my phone. I'll plug it into my computer and it will show in iTunes and start charging. After some time the phone will disapear from iTunes and stop charging. I'll unplug and plug in the cable and it shows back up and starts charging. It's not a set amount of time and usually happens when I have it plugged in overnight.

I got tired of waking up and not having my battery charge and I havent' had time to go to the Apple store to have it replaced. I have my phone syncing through wi-fi and plugged into the wall. That seems to be working without any issues.

Jman13
Oct 2, 2012, 10:16 AM
way to read the thread. nothing odd about it.

There were two people in the thread who were having problems. I know the OP turned out to just have a case interference problem, but there's another poster who has had multiple failures.

jotwee
Oct 14, 2012, 06:12 AM
I bought one separate cable and it is defect.

compwiz1202
Oct 14, 2012, 09:43 AM

First rule of good tech support is K.I.S.S.

AuroraProject
Oct 14, 2012, 01:56 PM

It's a shame that common sense didn't kick in before heading to Apple.

hatersgonnahate
Oct 14, 2012, 02:21 PM

Facepalm.jpg

Thank god I don't work retail. :D

Stadashic
Oct 14, 2012, 05:12 PM
mine will occasionally stop charging, only happened about twice though. Sometimes it makes the sound for unplug/plugging randomly while its charging as well.

Rajani Isa
Oct 14, 2012, 07:25 PM
It's a shame that common sense didn't kick in before heading to Apple.

To be fair, sounds like the issue is one of barely measurable differences in the cable, interacting with the case - notice that two of the five cables worked fine WITH the bumper.

RickG
Oct 14, 2012, 09:34 PM
I have four cables- one is a bit harder to pull out- they all work

Applejuiced
Oct 15, 2012, 10:51 PM
I bought 2 spare lightning cables from a Sprint store since they had them on sale for 20% off.
Phone is at 16%, I plug it in and shows that its chargning with the green battery indicator etc...
30-40 minutes later I look and still stuck at the same level and hasnt move up not even 1%.
Still showing that it charges but battery not moving up.
Thought maybe if I restart the phone. Nothing still.
I plug in the old usb wire that came with the i5 and within minutes the percent indicator went up and within a half hour went up to 75%.
So my guess is a defective wire.
Anyone else notice the same out there?