Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
I ordered an extra Lightning cable when I ordered my phone. The one with the phone works, the one that came separate did not. So I call Apple for a replacement, which I received today, along with three others that I ordered separately. Of the four new cables, only one works.

They work if I press hard into the charge Jack. But as soon as I let up, the charge symbol goes away.

Now I'm starting to wonder if it's my phone?

Thoughts?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I have 3 and they all work fine. Be sure that you don't have a case blocking the opening. I have a cheap case that needed some "adjustment". :cool:

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
The one that came with my iPhone 5 stopped working after a week.

Went to Apple Store and had it replaced on the spot.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I bought 1 backup chord for the USB plug in my car. Haven't tried it yet. Now you have me paranoid. THANKS! :D

PaulyD

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
UK
The one that came with my phone was intermittent but got replaced today no questions asked. He didnt even test it before getting me a replacement. The one i bought new was fine out of the box

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I ordered an extra Lightning cable when I ordered my phone. The one with the phone works, the one that came separate did not. So I call Apple for a replacement, which I received today, along with three others that I ordered separately. Of the four new cables, only one works.

They work if I press hard into the charge Jack. But as soon as I let up, the charge symbol goes away.

Now I'm starting to wonder if it's my phone?

Thoughts?

Just a thought, perhaps the jack is the issue? Have you tried the cables on other phones?

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
I have 3 and they all work fine. Be sure that you don't have a case blocking the opening. I have a cheap case that needed some "adjustment". :cool:

OMG do I feel stupid. I have a bumper on it that I thought was totally clear where the charger inserts. But there was a very thin piece of plastic that would not let the charger fully seat.

It's a shame that AppleCare's first directive wasn't "please remove the bumper and see if that helps"!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
OMG do I feel stupid. I have a bumper on it that I thought was totally clear where the charger inserts. But there was a very thin piece of plastic that would not let the charger fully seat.

It's a shame that AppleCare's first directive wasn't "please remove the bumper and see if that helps"!

:eek:

This made me lol :p Thank you for the update...good news.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
I have 3... 2 of them are still in the box.. this thread made me want to check them lol

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
My wife said that the cable that came with her iPhone 5 only charges if she plugs it on way, if it's upside down it can sync fine with iTunes but doesn't charge. I have yet to try/verify this myself but she said now every time she wants it to charge she has to make sure it goes in proper side up or it won't charge. We got an extra one and that one seems to be fine but only using on the wall outlet, not with the computer.

conshok26

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
I have an issue with the cable that came with my phone. I'll plug it into my computer and it will show in iTunes and start charging. After some time the phone will disapear from iTunes and stop charging. I'll unplug and plug in the cable and it shows back up and starts charging. It's not a set amount of time and usually happens when I have it plugged in overnight.

I got tired of waking up and not having my battery charge and I havent' had time to go to the Apple store to have it replaced. I have my phone syncing through wi-fi and plugged into the wall. That seems to be working without any issues.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
way to read the thread. nothing odd about it.

There were two people in the thread who were having problems. I know the OP turned out to just have a case interference problem, but there's another poster who has had multiple failures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.