Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
I can't seem to find anything on this but how well does the otterbox commuter do against rain and moisture? I'm not talking about it being submerged but more of rain and moisture....does anyone know?

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
I had a buddy pick one up for me from bestbuy with his discount and I love the case since it is a 2 piece silicone and hard plastic. The phone is exposed for speakers and the ear piece with the screen protector cutout. You might want to look at the bulky defender.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
I had a buddy pick one up for me from bestbuy with his discount and I love the case since it is a 2 piece silicone and hard plastic. The phone is exposed for speakers and the ear piece with the screen protector cutout. You might want to look at the bulky defender.

I have the commuter and am in love with it. The defender is exposed with the speakers and I think the ear piece too. I'm just curious if the commuter will protect the iPhone from moisture so that the sensors don't trip and void my warranty.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
I have the commuter and am in love with it. The defender is exposed with the speakers and I think the ear piece too. I'm just curious if the commuter will protect the iPhone from moisture so that the sensors don't trip and void my warranty.

The Commuter says it includes screen protection, but in reality it's just a stick on screen protector, not an integrated one that is built into the case like the Defender. The bottom of the case and the screen are exposed to the elements as well as some of the other cutouts. If you want better protection that would deal with splashes, occasional exposure to the rain, you should probably look at the Defender, Griffen Survivor, a Gumdrop case that I can't remember the name of, or the supposedly waterPROOF Lifeproof case.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
The Commuter says it includes screen protection, but in reality it's just a stick on screen protector, not an integrated one that is built into the case like the Defender. The bottom of the case and the screen are exposed to the elements as well as some of the other cutouts. If you want better protection that would deal with splashes, occasional exposure to the rain, you should probably look at the Defender, Griffen Survivor, a Gumdrop case that I can't remember the name of, or the supposedly waterPROOF Lifeproof case.

Both the Defender and Commuter have port covers and both have the speakers exposed. They also both have an uncovered cut out for the camera. I'm just wondering how well the Commuter will do in occasional rain and humidity/moisture.

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
I really enjoyed the Commuter when I had it for my 4S (I hated it on my iPhone5). The two stories I am about to tell you are 100% true.

1) I was in the process of flushing the toilet and my phone hopped out of my pocket and into the toilet. It was completely submerged for a solid 2.5 seconds. I figured it was going to be bricked, but to my surprise the Commuter saved it.

2) I was on a 6 mile nature walk and when I was only halfway done, it started to rain crazily. I had no choice but to walk 3 miles to my car. The canopy of the forest was making the raindrops 3x bigger. I was beyond saturated. It was if I was swimming with all my clothes on...and my phone in my pocket. My 4S was beyond drenched, but once again, the Commuter saved it.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
I really enjoyed the Commuter when I had it for my 4S (I hated it on my iPhone5). The two stories I am about to tell you are 100% true.

1) I was in the process of flushing the toilet and my phone hopped out of my pocket and into the toilet. It was completely submerged for a solid 2.5 seconds. I figured it was going to be bricked, but to my surprise the Commuter saved it.

2) I was on a 6 mile nature walk and when I was only halfway done, it started to rain crazily. I had no choice but to walk 3 miles to my car. The canopy of the forest was making the raindrops 3x bigger. I was beyond saturated. It was if I was swimming with all my clothes on...and my phone in my pocket. My 4S was beyond drenched, but once again, the Commuter saved it.

Wow. Did it trip the water sensors in the phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.