PDA

View Full Version : Lockitron Announces New Keyless Deadbolt Entry and Remote Locking for iPhone

MacRumors
Oct 2, 2012, 01:23 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/02/lockitron-announces-new-keyless-deadbolt-entry-and-remote-locking-for-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/10/NewImage5.png

Lockitron has announced a new hardware product (https://lockitron.com) that attaches to most deadbolt locks and allows the door to be locked and unlocked via an app. It also takes advantage of Bluetooth 4.0 to unlock the door when a registered iPhone 4S or 5 approaches the door.

Lockitron previously had a lock that was a full replacement for the entire lock and handle (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/05/lockitron-unlock-your-home-with-your-cellphone/) making it nearly impossible to use for customers who rent. The new device attaches to a deadbolt without any permanent changes, allowing renters to use it. The company is positioning the device for tech-savvy consumers, as well as those looking to open the door for guests or AirBnB renters.

Users can unlock their doors via the Lockitron app, via an SMS message, or by using Bluetooth 4.0 to unlock it wirelessly.

N9R8KkDkyk4
The company is currently taking preorders (https://lockitron.com/preorder/) for the $149 lock, though the company won't take payment until the device is ready. Lockitron expects the first 1,000 units will be ready for shipment in March of 2013.

Article Link: Lockitron Announces New Keyless Deadbolt Entry and Remote Locking for iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/02/lockitron-announces-new-keyless-deadbolt-entry-and-remote-locking-for-iphone/)

Mad Mac Maniac
Oct 2, 2012, 01:25 PM
don't forget your phone!

voyagerd
Oct 2, 2012, 01:26 PM
A group in my senior year capstone project class at UCSB did a very similar project to this...

AFPoster
Oct 2, 2012, 01:29 PM
Ordered

Swedishbacon
Oct 2, 2012, 01:30 PM
So nice, until you lose your phone. Then just imagine if someone steals it.

Oct 2, 2012, 01:30 PM
Interesting. I think it would work best on iPod Touches, no 3g. Come home, in range of your own wifi, then unlock the door for yourself.

havenhamilton
Oct 2, 2012, 01:31 PM
So nice, until you lose your phone. Then just imagine if someone steals it.

what are the odds that someone steals your phone, figures out you use this product, finds out where you live and breaks in before you can get home and take it off?

guru_ck
Oct 2, 2012, 01:32 PM
I'm sure there will be a PIN lock option for the app. Wish this thing worked with my door hardware :(.

UnseenLlama
Oct 2, 2012, 01:33 PM
what are the odds that someone steals your phone, figures out you use this product, finds out where you live and breaks in before you can get home and take it off?

That's why you should always passlock your iPhone.

Swedishbacon
Oct 2, 2012, 01:34 PM

Well, since iOS 6 I'm pretty sure my adress is in my contacts list.

Greg222
Oct 2, 2012, 01:35 PM
You'll have to have a way to disable it. Time for bed, you walk too close to your front door, and it unlocks it.

ytk
Oct 2, 2012, 01:36 PM
So you just walk up to the door with your iPhone, and it uses Bluetooth 4.0 to connect and immediately unlock the door? How does it know you're approaching from the outside rather than the inside?

LaazyEye
Oct 2, 2012, 01:36 PM
Well, since iOS 6 I'm pretty sure my adress is in my contacts list.

Remote wipe

Tulipone
Oct 2, 2012, 01:37 PM
Really? Is there a need for this? How attackable is BT4? Maybe not today, but soon it'll get broken. I gave up with BT speakers as turning BT on and off was a pain - and I'm not going to leave it on all day. Impressive battery power.

I can understand BT controlling devices inside the house (from a dedicated panel) but not for gaining entry.

GenesisST
Oct 2, 2012, 01:39 PM
That's why you should always passlock your iPhone.

Annoying as hell, but so worth it! I wish there was "don't lock when on this SSID or at that location" option!

Cougarcat
Oct 2, 2012, 01:41 PM
Really? Is there a need for this? How attackable is BT4? Maybe not today, but soon it'll get broken. I gave up with BT speakers as turning BT on and off was a pain - and I'm not going to leave it on all day. Impressive battery power.

I can understand BT controlling devices inside the house (from a dedicated panel) but not for gaining entry.

It's BT 4.0, so It won't use your battery significantly.

I don't know how hard it is to crack BT, but it's not like normal locks are infallible.

mrxak
Oct 2, 2012, 01:42 PM

They get your phone, use the slide-up-to-camera to bypass your lock code, see you have the Lockitron app, find your name and address in Contacts, then ask Siri for directions to your home. Done.

Anyway, this sort of thing is nothing new. Any home automation system worth its salt has remote locks. The notification on door-knock is new (at least to me), but who ever knocks on doors anymore? You're better off with a smart doorbell.

Of course, they all have the same issue of losing your remote device, whatever it is, and it's not like somebody needs to go through your front door to get into your house. If you're going to go the home automation route, why not set up some motion sensors inside the house watching all your windows and doors, and tell the house when you come and go? Heck, you don't even have to bother locking your doors, and you'll know the minute somebody's in your house when you're away. Door locks are just a social contract. If somebody wants in, they don't need to steal your key, physical or digital.

makingdots
Oct 2, 2012, 01:43 PM

Also, most burglars/thieves are not knowledgeable enough in computer stuffs/technology

RMo
Oct 2, 2012, 01:44 PM
Just pre-odered. Why? I don't know...but I like it.

bigjobby
Oct 2, 2012, 01:48 PM
They get your phone, use the slide-up-to-camera to bypass your lock code, see you have the Lockitron app, find your name and address in Contacts, then ask Siri for directions to your home. Done.

One slight flaw to this theory... Maps.

Nickpocalypse
Oct 2, 2012, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=mrxak;15943107]They get your phone, use the slide-up-to-camera to bypass your lock code, see you have the Lockitron app, find your name and address in Contacts, then ask Siri for directions to your home. Done.[QUOTE]
I have thus far been unable to get to bypass the lock code with the slide-up camera. Anytime you try to do anything at the camera screen, it says your phone is locked, or takes you to the passcode unlock screen.

JForestZ34
Oct 2, 2012, 01:55 PM
This is just my opinion on this but I think we are putting our confidence in technology to much. This is just me but I would never trust this. Give me an old fashion key any day.

James

MasterMac
Oct 2, 2012, 01:56 PM

That doesn't work, and I'm pretty sure that's never worked, not even after the feature was introduced. There was a video showing it "getting past", but (here's where the "pretty sure" part comes in) I'm almost positive it was later found out that phone didn't have it set to require the passcode immediately after locking the phone.

Undecided
Oct 2, 2012, 02:01 PM
This is great but what I really need is a remotely controlled lock that i can use in rental properties. Although, I don't do short term rentals any more.

Mev75
Oct 2, 2012, 02:05 PM

Anyway, this sort of thing is nothing new. Any home automation system worth its salt has remote locks. The notification on door-knock is new (at least to me), but who ever knocks on doors anymore? You're better off with a smart doorbell.

Of course, they all have the same issue of losing your remote device, whatever it is, and it's not like somebody needs to go through your front door to get into your house. If you're going to go the home automation route, why not set up some motion sensors inside the house watching all your windows and doors, and tell the house when you come and go? Heck, you don't even have to bother locking your doors, and you'll know the minute somebody's in your house when you're away. Door locks are just a social contract. If somebody wants in, they don't need to steal your key, physical or digital.

Imagines you loose your keys or someone steals them... More or less the same disadvantages as old fashioned keys but some benefits.

But definitely not something for the Swiss market, we do not have these types of locks.

If it fits your needs this seems to be a cool product. I have a similar product for my car, Renault hands free keyless driving, quite cool!

violaboy
Oct 2, 2012, 02:06 PM
Great for those who are allergic to keys. Lol

STiNG Operation
Oct 2, 2012, 02:08 PM
Maybe I didn't read into it enough. Does this service cost money per month or annually?

mms13
Oct 2, 2012, 02:16 PM
Would be awesome if I had only a deadbolt. But my actual doorknob locks too so if I accidently locked that one, I'd be SOL.

bearda
Oct 2, 2012, 02:19 PM
Kind of interesting, and something I would consider if I could use it. As it stands all my deadbolts are double cylinders, though, since I have glass windows to the side of all my doors. If it relies on a handle to actuate on the inside I'm not interested.

nsayer
Oct 2, 2012, 02:31 PM
Their website is horrible. Hardly anything works properly. Either everybody and their brother is busting the door down trying to pre-order or this is the worst e-commerce operation known to man.

----------

Kind of interesting, and something I would consider if I could use it. As it stands all my deadbolts are double cylinders, though, since I have glass windows to the side of all my doors. If it relies on a handle to actuate on the inside I'm not interested.

Not that this really has anything to do with Lockitron, but what's the security win there? If someone takes a hammer and busts the glass, can't they just walk/climb through that instead of the door? Are you worried about the crook who uses a glass cutter to cut a hole just big enough to get their hand through so they can work the deadbolt... But oh curses! It requires a key!

My parents got snookered into double cylinders on their front door deadbolt.

They never took out the key on the inside one. :/

Tinmania
Oct 2, 2012, 02:33 PM

Your first premise is false: that simply is untrue and will not work. You must enter the passcode to get to the home screen.

HOWER, they can simply tell Siri to "take me home" from the lock screen and Siri will do it. If "home" has not been learned they can ask Siri "who am I" and that will reveal the owner's name and address. Then they can ask Siri to take them there.

Finally, they can say "launch lockitron" to see if the app is installed. If Siri doesn't say "it doesn't look like you have an app named lockitron installed" but instead asks for passcode they will know it is installed. They can't run it but they now know you probably have that lock.

Odds of the person who found/stole your iPhone knowing all that, and also being a criminal who will rob someone's home? I'd say 1 in a billion.

Mike

Tinmania
Oct 2, 2012, 02:43 PM
Not that this really has anything to do with Lockitron, but what's the security win there? If someone takes a hammer and busts the glass, can't they just walk/climb through that instead of the door? Are you worried about the crook who uses a glass cutter to cut a hole just big enough to get their hand through so they can work the deadbolt... But oh curses! It requires a key!

Good! My uncle was a fireman and hates them. Even a key stashed or hanging nearby is hard to get to when trying to escape a fire.

That said I see no reason Lockitron can't make a model that works with double-cylinder deadbolts. Just leave the key in the lock so it can be turned by the mechanism and replace knob on the front with a key. That would be a triple-cylinder lock!

Michael

wigby
Oct 2, 2012, 02:50 PM
i've used these lockitron locks before and they work well but it's too soon to rely solely on a smartphone and bluetooth. every one of these locks still needs a key as a backup for when your phone battery dies or is stolen or broken, etc.

nsayer
Oct 2, 2012, 02:57 PM
i've used these lockitron locks before and they work well but it's too soon to rely solely on a smartphone and bluetooth. every one of these locks still needs a key as a backup for when your phone battery dies or is stolen or broken, etc.

From what I can see, the outside "interface" to your door is unchanged. I suspect the "back door" (see what I did there?) you're talking about is to just stash your door key in a hide-a-key somewhere.

Me? We have a garage door with an opener. That'll do.

darkplanets
Oct 2, 2012, 02:59 PM
I feel like this would be rife for abuse. I wonder how easy it would be to brute force the door? Not that regular doors are that much more secure to picking.

olowott
Oct 2, 2012, 03:02 PM
Just so:cool:
Hope it comes in different colors.

Chupa Chupa
Oct 2, 2012, 03:36 PM
Just pre-ordered one. If this works similar to the hands free unlocking in my car then one of my more boring dreams has come true. Killer expensive, yes, but no more needing to manually unlock door before bringing groceries in is priceless. So worth a try.

It's going on the door inside my garage so even if I lost my phone and couldn't get to a computer to reset my acct before someone was able to figure an unlock for my phone the thief stills has to find a way to hack my garage door opener too then my wireless alarm system. Any thief that smart is going to want a better target than my house for all that work.

----------

Just so:cool:
Hope it comes in different colors.

It does, but none are too refined. I wouldn't put any on my front door.

----------

You can still use your old school key with this version so what's the risk. I wouldn't stop carrying keys, but this makes normal entry easier, esp. when both hands carrying stuff.

davidg4781
Oct 2, 2012, 03:38 PM
Imagines you loose your keys or someone steals them... More or less the same disadvantages as old fashioned keys but some benefits.

But definitely not something for the Swiss market, we do not have these types of locks.

If it fits your needs this seems to be a cool product. I have a similar product for my car, Renault hands free keyless driving, quite cool!

Just curious... what kind of locks do y'all have over there?

hirshnoc
Oct 2, 2012, 03:41 PM
I can already see people pulling college pranks on each other not allowing them to leave their apartments or dorm rooms.

Repo
Oct 2, 2012, 03:44 PM
So you just walk up to the door with your iPhone, and it uses Bluetooth 4.0 to connect and immediately unlock the door? How does it know you're approaching from the outside rather than the inside?

It doesn't matter. If you approach the door from the outside or inside, you'll want it unlocked to pass through.

Anonymous Freak
Oct 2, 2012, 03:52 PM
Interesting. I think it would work best on iPod Touches, no 3g. Come home, in range of your own wifi, then unlock the door for yourself.

That's the Bluetooth 4.0 part. I'm sure you could find a way to make it work that way, too. But this has flexibility. "Oh, I forgot to put out extra cat food before leaving for the weekend - I'll just call my next door neighbor, unlock it when he's there, wait for him to leave and re-lock it."

jclardy
Oct 2, 2012, 03:53 PM
It doesn't matter. If you approach the door from the outside or inside, you'll want it unlocked to pass through.

Unless you are walking to lock the door. Though you could now do that from your iPhone in the first place.

But in some houses the front door is next to the staircase, so you walk by and it unlocks. Maybe if it had a timeout feature so that if you don't open it after passing by it returns to its previous state.

And to those worrying about it being hacked - it could happen, but they would have to know you have the lock in the first place. Meaning in a random crime it would be very unlikely.

I don't really like how it looks though, doesn't look very nice next to normal chrome or gold door handles.

I wouldn't mind bluetooth triggered locks for my car though!

coder12
Oct 2, 2012, 04:44 PM
Your first premise is false: that simply is untrue and will not work. You must enter the passcode to get to the home screen.

HOWER, they can simply tell Siri to "take me home" from the lock screen and Siri will do it. If "home" has not been learned they can ask Siri "who am I" and that will reveal the owner's name and address. Then they can ask Siri to take them there.

Finally, they can say "launch lockitron" to see if the app is installed. If Siri doesn't say "it doesn't look like you have an app named lockitron installed" but instead asks for passcode they will know it is installed. They can't run it but they now know you probably have that lock.

Odds of the person who found/stole your iPhone knowing all that, and also being a criminal who will rob someone's home? I'd say 1 in a billion.

Mike

If it's one in a billion then there are roughly six individuals on Earth that we should worry about :eek:

ytk
Oct 2, 2012, 04:49 PM

Obviously it does matter, or I wouldn't have asked the question. :rolleyes:

Say somebody you don't know rings your doorbell. As soon as you walk up to the door with the phone in your pocket to ask who it is, it unlocks? Not good. Or what if, as others have pointed out, you're just walking past the door and didn't intend to unlock it? You might not even realize it's unlocked. Also not good.

baryon
Oct 2, 2012, 04:59 PM
Quite futuristic! Is there a chance this will work for European locks? I mean it looks like US locks seem very standardized, while EU locks are all totally different, I can't think of a single product fitting all of them...

Tinmania
Oct 2, 2012, 05:12 PM

Say somebody you don't know rings your doorbell. As soon as you walk up to the door with the phone in your pocket to ask who it is, it unlocks? Not good. Or what if, as others have pointed out, you're just walking past the door and didn't intend to unlock it? You might not even realize it's unlocked. Also not good.

You can have it auto-lock after unlocking (at least you could on the previous model). That wouldn't help with walking up to the door if someone is outside ringing the doorbell but at least it will re-lock if you accidentally unlock when walking past it.

You can also get notified when the door is unlocked.

I would assume on the new model you can turn off the passive unlocking feature but then you have to use the app to unlock.

Michael

Titanium81
Oct 2, 2012, 05:15 PM
just pre-odered. Why? I don't know...but i like it.

awesome!

Bo98
Oct 2, 2012, 05:17 PM
What if you're out of charge?

ghsNick
Oct 2, 2012, 05:29 PM
Just pre-odered. Why? I don't know...but I like it.

I wanted to but right before the order went through it never asked me for a color option...did you just pre-order any random color?

AbSoluTc
Oct 2, 2012, 05:34 PM
Great for people that have deadbolts that are not double (need a key inside and out to unlock). Those that have double deadbolts are up the creek. Lol. Pretty much useless on any door that is adjacent to a window, full view door or french door.

Nice concept though.

djrobsd
Oct 2, 2012, 05:36 PM
Very cool. To all the paranoid people: if a burglar wants to get into your house to steal you're stuff they're going to find a way in, and no alarm systems or paranoid attitudes are going to change that. When your turn is up, your turn is up and you will get your car stolen, house broken into, etc. It's just a matter of karma if you ask me and if you have good karma on your side you generally make it through life without a lot of those inconveniences happening.

Squid7085
Oct 2, 2012, 05:36 PM
I have been wanting something similar to this. When I first saw it I ignored it, living in an Apartment most of these digital lock things require the replacement of the actual lock. When I took a second look I saw what it really does. Being in college and taking the bus to school and many other places, it's perfect. I have a car, but if I don't need my car keys, I can leave them at home and just use my phone. Also good because my Roommates never want to take keys either.

Tinmania
Oct 2, 2012, 06:10 PM
Great for people that have deadbolts that are not double (need a key inside and out to unlock). Those that have double deadbolts are up the creek. Lol. Pretty much useless on any door that is adjacent to a window, full view door or french door.

Nice concept though.
I think any lock is useless on a door made of glass. Heck, or any house that has windows for that matter.

Locks keep honest people honest.

Michael

Exotic-Car Man
Oct 2, 2012, 06:13 PM
XKCD FTW! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9R8KkDkyk4#t=52s)

MacBoy88
Oct 2, 2012, 06:45 PM
I wanted to but right before the order went through it never asked me for a color option...did you just pre-order any random color?

It says they will ask for color and confirm shipping address closer to shipping time.

dontwalkhand
Oct 2, 2012, 06:52 PM
I really think its cool, but I already have two separate apps for home automation (One through my security company, and a Control 4 app), and I definitely don't want to add yet another for nothing but unlocking my door. Does this work with the Zigbee protocol?

intrepid00
Oct 2, 2012, 06:52 PM
They don't give the cleareance needed though, which is kind of important and I don't have much room on my door and the box looks big.

bpeeps
Oct 2, 2012, 07:09 PM
Directly from the website:

Unlike lost keys which anyone can use to unlock your door, in the event you lose your phone you can disable its access by resetting your account password. Never worry about changing your locks again.

a0me
Oct 2, 2012, 08:18 PM
With Apple Maps they'll probably end up 20 miles away from my place at the bottom of a river.

RMo
Oct 2, 2012, 08:25 PM
What if you're out of charge?

Then use a key? (You still can. Or charge your phone. The device itself, by the way, is supposed to notify you before its batteries run down.)

Black.Infinity
Oct 2, 2012, 08:32 PM
c0ol

one day iPhone and tech will take over most of our daily things

Fandongo
Oct 2, 2012, 08:54 PM

Thumbprint reader shoulda been built into these phones for just this purpose. Or blood powered BT4 nano bots.

The phone is endangered by all other pocket occupants. It's a computer, it should do everything...including dispensing some Burts Bees.

----------

XKCD FTW! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9R8KkDkyk4#t=52s)

Kocking too!?! Awesome!
edit: lolol *knocking*

AbSoluTc
Oct 2, 2012, 09:40 PM
I think any lock is useless on a door made of glass. Heck, or any house that has windows for that matter.

Locks keep honest people honest.

Michael

Not really. A french door or any door with glass (unless it's a full view glass door) is still valid as long as someone can't put their hands through the hole and turn the deadbolt knob.

I ordered one. We have a front door we can use it on :)

dontwalkhand
Oct 2, 2012, 10:22 PM
Not really. A french door or any door with glass (unless it's a full view glass door) is still valid as long as someone can't put their hands through the hole and turn the deadbolt knob.

Exactly, and not only that, but the deadbolt on one of the doors on my house help keep it shut, because if I don't it flies right open because the door doesn't seal properly. I know the bigger problem at hand is having to fix the seal, but at least the bolt is holding it shut for now to worry about it in the short term.

AbSoluTc
Oct 2, 2012, 11:07 PM
Exactly, and not only that, but the deadbolt on one of the doors on my house help keep it shut, because if I don't it flies right open because the door doesn't seal properly. I know the bigger problem at hand is having to fix the seal, but at least the bolt is holding it shut for now to worry about it in the short term.

Yeah, our side door is like this. If I don't bolt it, it doesn't seal. When I bolt it, it's a nice tight seal. I could kick myself in the ass for getting rid of the copper weather seal. House was built in the 60's. You just can't get good stuff anymore. I have some silicone seal stuff on it but it's only good if the door is bolted.

SeattleMoose
Oct 2, 2012, 11:49 PM
Another naive tech idea....if these get popular the hottest device on the black market will be a code generator that can create a thousand digital "keys" per second to unlock your door and allow the owner of the "housebreaker" to raid your home.

Unless of course you have the second line of defense...a steel plated robotic pitbull with razor sharp metal teeth.

Crzyrio
Oct 3, 2012, 12:17 AM
Another naive tech idea....if these get popular the hottest device on the black market will be a code generator that can create a thousand digital "keys" per second to unlock your door and allow the owner of the "housebreaker" to raid your home.

Unless of course you have the second line of defense...a steel plated robotic pitbull with razor sharp metal teeth.

More like a naive person. The 'keys' used for these are probably more secure than any encrypted password you type in online. This 'device' would need a heck of a lot of hp.

Also I can guarantee you that any lock smith can get through your front door lock within 10 mins and you wouldnt even know it. Atleast here you would know someone went in lol.

jeter0490
Oct 3, 2012, 12:53 AM
why is everyone so paranoid that they are going to get robbed... seems like you all need to move to a safer town.

EmpyreanUK
Oct 3, 2012, 02:45 AM
why is everyone so paranoid that they are going to get robbed... seems like you all need to move to a safer town.

We should replace all police/crime commissioners, security consultants and criminologists with this guy. He clearly has the solutions we in the real world are looking for.

Tha Professor
Oct 3, 2012, 04:35 AM
I don't know if I understood this correctly. The article said it was aimed at people who rent their apartments.

Maybe you can send the "key" to your customer's app and make it valid for the period of their stay. Then they can just walk up to the door and open it without having physical keys. This means a 24/7 check in time and a lot of convenience for the owners - no need to wait for people on delayed flights etc....

Gasu E.
Oct 3, 2012, 06:50 AM
One slight flaw to this theory... Maps.

Right... they'll end up robbing your neighbor's house. :D

Chupa Chupa
Oct 3, 2012, 07:16 AM

Heh. Who knew so many Luddites trolled the tech intense MR forums.

Look, if your theory was correct then the hottest devices on the black market today would be code generators for garage door openers and cars with keyless entry.

But the fact is, the preferred tool for thieves are 1) insiders, 2) small rocks, & 3) lock pick sets. You make it sound like homes with just traditional deadbolts and keys are immune from burglars and robbers. But clearly statistics says otherwise. If someone is bent on gaining entry to your property they'll find a way w/ or w/o black market James Bond devices. Of course, you also need to have something worth stealing. Most home robberies today (in the U.S. at least) are less random and more inside jobs where the thieves know what they are going in for.

Diveflo
Oct 3, 2012, 07:26 AM
This probably won't work with european-style doors will it?
We got no "pushable" handle on the outside, so you always have to use your key to push back the latch.

bearda
Oct 3, 2012, 08:03 AM

The sidelights on either side of the door a fairly narrow (certainly less than a foot), so the chances of them being able to get through are pretty minimal. They are big enough that if they cut or shattered the glass it would be easy to reach around the inside and flip the handle on a deadbolt, though. We have a key nearby (hanging on an adjacent wall), but not visible or reachable from the front door.

It's not a terribly likely scenario to be sure, but the setup is not an uncommon one.

----------

I don't know if I understood this correctly. The article said it was aimed at people who rent their apartments.

Maybe you can send the "key" to your customer's app and make it valid for the period of their stay. Then they can just walk up to the door and open it without having physical keys. This means a 24/7 check in time and a lot of convenience for the owners - no need to wait for people on delayed flights etc....

I think it was more meant in the sense that the person who buys the device is the one paying to rent an apartment (and can't change the door hardware), as opposed the the landlord.

Gemütlichkeit
Oct 3, 2012, 08:11 AM
How exactly is it powered?

MacBoy88
Oct 3, 2012, 08:16 AM
How exactly is it powered?

4 AAs - Says they last a year

cgk.emu
Oct 3, 2012, 10:15 AM
I'll pass. That'll be hacked in about 5 seconds...

tomacwhite
Oct 3, 2012, 10:56 AM
Great idea. Always wanted something like this, after all we've had remote locking on our cars for over 20 years, probably more.

skywiseca
Oct 3, 2012, 11:04 AM

They will contact you near shipping time and ask for your colour preference.

----------

Units like this won't work on doors that are using the deadbolt to hold the door shut. They have limited grunt to turn the deadbolt and any resistance will stop the unit from working.
I have an older powered deadbolt unit and I had to fix my doors in order to make them work. (make sure the door knob latch was enough to keep the deadbolt free to move)

Gemütlichkeit
Oct 3, 2012, 11:42 AM

Metal key system can be hacked in 5 seconds.

JNGold
Oct 3, 2012, 12:46 PM
Metal key system can be hacked in 5 seconds.

Don't believe what you see in the movies. Picking a lock can be an easy thing but with more secure locks (i.e. Medeco) picking is not a feasible option. Those types of cylinders can be drilled which a noisy and physical effort. Electronic hacking or RF capture (the last time I checked) didn't involve noise and physical effort. :)

fruitpunch.ben
Oct 3, 2012, 02:49 PM
Don't believe what you see in the movies. Picking a lock can be an easy thing but with more secure locks (i.e. Medeco) picking is not a feasible option. Those types of cylinders can be drilled which a noisy and physical effort. Electronic hacking or RF capture (the last time I checked) didn't involve noise and physical effort. :)

If people want to gain access to your house, they can smash or even cut a hole in a window (which also takes very little noise and physical effort).
A burglar is far more likely to have that equipment than to be able to hack your lock!
I don't understand people's paranoia about these sorts of things. Most burglars are just low-lifes or drug addicts with no real reason to break into your house except opportunity.
If a thief is talented enough and wants to hack into your door lock, he has a very good reason for breaking into your specific house, and a standard deadbolt is NOT going to stop him

cgk.emu
Oct 3, 2012, 02:50 PM

Exactly.

Fandongo
Oct 3, 2012, 02:51 PM
Heh. Who knew so many Luddites trolled the tech intense MR forums.

Look, if your theory was correct then the hottest devices on the black market today would be code generators for garage door openers and cars with keyless entry.

But the fact is, the preferred tool for thieves are 1) insiders, 2) small rocks, & 3) lock pick sets. You make it sound like homes with just traditional deadbolts and keys are immune from burglars and robbers. But clearly statistics says otherwise. If someone is bent on gaining entry to your property they'll find a way w/ or w/o black market James Bond devices. Of course, you also need to have something worth stealing. Most home robberies today (in the U.S. at least) are less random and more inside jobs where the thieves know what they are going in for.

Haha, I'm sure most people thought flat screen TVs and tiny gadgets would increase home invasions tenfold. But when you can get a 40" for $280, the whole used marketplace (with scratched off serial numbers) kinda goes...out the window.

It's cheaper and safer to commit white collar crimes.
Look out for suits.

agitoTech
Oct 3, 2012, 03:14 PM

I have a real Pit Bull and a real German Shepard with real teeth... Come on over uninvited anytime. :)

Chupa Chupa
Oct 3, 2012, 04:53 PM

4 seconds slower than it took a locksmith to pick my lock last year when I got locked out.

Gemütlichkeit
Oct 3, 2012, 06:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKAJ845IBPg

Time to replace all your locks!!!!!

Seriously, if you're worried about hacking your door electronically, there are plenty of ways to get into a house if someone wants to.

You're just as scared as the people who thought keyless entry systems and garage door openers are going to skyrocket stolen goods

mmomega
Oct 3, 2012, 08:24 PM
It just isn't a very attractive device to have on the inside.

If they made it in the normal finishes or Stainless, Aged bronze, brass and the like I'm sure it may sell more.

I like the concept and how easily it should work but like someone else pointed out, unless your deadbolt slides completely effortlessly into the door frame then it's not going to work at all.

mrgraff
Oct 3, 2012, 11:05 PM
Am I missing something?

There is a deadbolt on my front door and it also has a doorknob with a lock in it. Unless I leave the bottom lock open when i leave, won't using the Lockitron still require that I carry the other key?

mkunichi
Oct 4, 2012, 12:17 AM
I think there's a great market for folks looking for convenience. There are the more security-minded who want/need greater security, but there are many who view super-security as non-priority.

Not to be controversial, but didn't Michael Moore say in one of his documentaries that there are many Canadian cities where people don't lock their front door?

As someone said, most of the time locks are to keep people honest, not to deter someone who really wants to get in your house.

BTW my dad used to only lock the deadbolt. He said it kept him from accidentally locking himself out of the house. He also said the best theft deterrent was nosy neighbors! It's much better than a better deadbolt. :)

samdev
Oct 4, 2012, 02:06 AM
I have just patented "Wipe Feet To Unlock".

Gonna make millions off of this. :D

netdog
Oct 4, 2012, 03:55 AM
Electronic locks that don't feature an option to use a physical key are a recipe for disaster. There's a reason that cars haven't abandoned the key-based mechanism in the driver's door.

GaresTaylan
Oct 4, 2012, 07:01 AM

Because thieves will be randomly going through your neighborhood looking for houses with the off chance that someone may have one of these installed.

If someone wants in your house bad enough, they are going to get in regardless of wether you have one of these or not. :rolleyes:

Gemütlichkeit
Oct 4, 2012, 07:44 AM
Am I missing something?

There is a deadbolt on my front door and it also has a doorknob with a lock in it. Unless I leave the bottom lock open when i leave, won't using the Lockitron still require that I carry the other key?

You're not missing anything.

Kwill
Oct 4, 2012, 10:00 AM
They get your phone, use the slide-up-to-camera to bypass your lock code, see you have the Lockitron app, find your name and address in Contacts, then ask Siri for directions to your home. Done... If somebody wants in, they don't need to steal your key, physical or digital.

Actually, as Tinmania said, there appears to be a flaw in the slide-to-camera feature. When announced, it was touted that you would be able to take pictures from the locked screen. They are supposed to be stored and visible only after entering a passcode. However, in practice on my iPhone 4s, after taking pictures, you have access to the home screen without entering the passcode.

Nice concept though.

Deadbolts with a turn-handle on the inside are not the most secure. A robber should not be able to enter a window and walk out your front door. I actually came home once to that scenario. All my valuables were piled up by the front door but the perp could not get them out because a key was required to get out. So he left with a Timex watch.

This device appears to attach to a cheap deadbolt by means of a magnet. For that price, you would buy a really good lock.

Nightarchaon
Oct 4, 2012, 10:05 AM

Only the route is calculated by :apple:Maps and takes the would be burglars off the nearest cliff, after taking them off a motorway overpass, through a reservoir and 200 miles in the wrong direction to a road with the same name as yours in a different state.

MacBoy88
Oct 4, 2012, 10:35 AM
Actually, as Tinmania said, there appears to be a flaw in the slide-to-camera feature. When announced, it was touted that you would be able to take pictures from the locked screen. They are supposed to be stored and visible only after entering a passcode. However, in practice on my iPhone 4s, after taking pictures, you have access to the home screen without entering the passcode.

Are you sure your is passcode locked, not just slide to unlock? I've NEVER been able get in my phone from the slide-to-camera. I can if not enough time (idle 5 min) has passed to engage my passcode, but once my passcode has triggered, I cannot.

doelcm82
Oct 4, 2012, 11:39 AM
With Apple Maps they'll probably end up 20 miles away from my place at the bottom of a river.

You're so lucky. Apple maps would take the thief right to my house.

Damn Apple for being right some of the time!

winston1236
Oct 4, 2012, 11:44 AM
Forget that bluetooth wipes out your battery , that thing is ugly! Looks like someone stuck a tupperware container on the doorhandle.

Tinmania
Oct 4, 2012, 11:53 AM

I was replying to a message that mentioned full view door, hence my comment door made out of glass. And you would be surprised at the size of an opening a person can fit through. I had a friend in NY in a rather high-crime area (yet expensive) who had roll up barriers on windows--except the tiny little down-stairs bathroom window where it was deemed unnecessary. Yep, someone get in and let others in and cleaned them out.

Naturally I lock my doors but I also realize that it is possible for someone to get in if they wanted to, be it a door or window.

I see this device purely as a convenience item. For that I like it! :)

Michael

Tinmania
Oct 4, 2012, 12:13 PM
Forget that bluetooth wipes out your battery , that thing is ugly! Looks like someone stuck a tupperware container on the doorhandle.
LOL to the tupperware comment. At least they could have chosen better colors. Even a beige or light brown. But bright white, teal, or black? What the heck were they thinking?

Mike

GoCubsGo
Oct 4, 2012, 12:24 PM
Are you sure your is passcode locked, not just slide to unlock? I've NEVER been able get in my phone from the slide-to-camera. I can if not enough time (idle 5 min) has passed to engage my passcode, but once my passcode has triggered, I cannot.
This is isolated to you then I think. I cannot get this to happen. I use a 4-digit passcode to unlock my phone. I can take pics but I cannot get to the home screen. Now, as for siri being completely willing to "take me home", I am unimpressed with that. I find that to be a security issue for sure. For me, you'll know my name (first and last) if you tell my phone to take you home but you'll wind up at an old apartment.

Likewise, I don't have my actual home address in my NAV either.

You can have it auto-lock after unlocking (at least you could on the previous model). That wouldn't help with walking up to the door if someone is outside ringing the doorbell but at least it will re-lock if you accidentally unlock when walking past it.

You can also get notified when the door is unlocked.

I would assume on the new model you can turn off the passive unlocking feature but then you have to use the app to unlock.

Michael

This is the one thing I'd want to be sure of if I were to buy it. I don't want my door unlocked just by passing it, even if I know it is unlocking and I can simply lock it again.

MacBoy88
Oct 4, 2012, 02:13 PM
This is isolated to you then I think. I cannot get this to happen. I use a 4-digit passcode to unlock my phone. I can take pics but I cannot get to the home screen. Now, as for siri being completely willing to "take me home", I am unimpressed with that. I find that to be a security issue for sure. For me, you'll know my name (first and last) if you tell my phone to take you home but you'll wind up at an old apartment.

Likewise, I don't have my actual home address in my NAV either.

This is the one thing I'd want to be sure of if I were to buy it. I don't want my door unlocked just by passing it, even if I know it is unlocking and I can simply lock it again.

I'm saying I cannot get the the home screen, without entering my passcode. Mine works as designed.

You can disable Siri from working is your phone is locked. Settings > Genreal > Passcode Lock > Turn Siri off

Sylon
Oct 4, 2012, 02:30 PM
To all the people that are worried that a robber would "hack" your door or use your stolen phone to get into your house, I have a question for you. Unless you advertise that you have this device on your door, how would that would-be-robber know you have a Lockitron on your door? You're not hanging this thing on the outside, so how would they know unless they were already inside your house? At that point, your robber would either be someone who broke in the old fashioned way, or its someone you probably know.

And sure, the thief would eventually see the app on your phone if they stole it, but if you don't put the app in an obvious spot, like in your tray, then by the time they discovered the app, you would have reset your Lockitron password or wiped the iPhone.

Relax people, like its been said before, if a robber wanted to break into your house bad enough, they will get in. And, if someone "hacked" your door lock with some crazy crypto device, Lockitron would also notify you on your iPhone that your door was unlocked. If you were not expecting someone to enter your home, call the cops.

GoCubsGo
Oct 4, 2012, 02:41 PM
I'm saying I cannot get the the home screen, without entering my passcode. Mine works as designed.

You can disable Siri from working is your phone is locked. Settings > Genreal > Passcode Lock > Turn Siri off

AH look at that! All this time ... :)

8ate8
Oct 4, 2012, 03:22 PM
They don't give the cleareance needed though, which is kind of important and I don't have much room on my door and the box looks big.

Door handles and deadbolts are supposed to be a set distance from the edge of the door, so unless you built your own custom lock, I don't think it would be a problem.

cgk.emu
Oct 4, 2012, 03:49 PM
Because thieves will be randomly going through your neighborhood looking for houses with the off chance that someone may have one of these installed.

If someone wants in your house bad enough, they are going to get in regardless of wether you have one of these or not. :rolleyes:

Way to miss the point. It's ANOTHER avenue to get into your place. Since you are fond of emoticons: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes: (that's me rolling my eyes at your lack of security knowledge)

GaresTaylan
Oct 4, 2012, 03:56 PM
Way to miss the point. It's ANOTHER avenue to get into your place. Since you are fond of emoticons: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes: (that's me rolling my eyes at your lack of security knowledge)

Feel better about yourself now? ;)

If you get your undies in a bunch again and feel the need to boost your self-esteem/ego some more resort to PM.

pubwvj
Oct 4, 2012, 05:35 PM
I can just see the scenario now: "Hack your front door, sir?"

Obviously a robber can break in. But now a hacker can lock you out. Or just randomly open your door day-in and day-out... What fun.

Kwill
Oct 4, 2012, 06:42 PM
Only the route is calculated by :apple:Maps and takes the would be burglars off the nearest cliff, after taking them off a motorway overpass, through a reservoir and 200 miles in the wrong direction to a road with the same name as yours in a different state.

Pretty sure. But that was iOS 5. Checked it out on iPhone 5 with iOS 6 today and it worked as it's supposed to. When my wife gets back home with the iPhone 4s, I'll verify since it has since been updated to iOS 6.

thesheep
Oct 5, 2012, 02:12 AM
Annoying as hell, but so worth it! I wish there was "don't lock when on this SSID or at that location" option!

Hey this is a great idea - you should suggest it to Apple

GenesisST
Oct 5, 2012, 03:19 PM
Hey this is a great idea - you should suggest it to Apple

Done! I've never actually taken the time to look for the suggestion page, but Google was my friend!

Repo
Oct 6, 2012, 12:25 PM

Don't be defensive. I didn't say your question doesn't matter, only that in this situation, the area from which you approach the door doesn't matter.

That said, if the feature doesn't suit your needs, don't use it.

iHateMacs
Oct 6, 2012, 03:53 PM
Is this for the US only? I have NO locks on any of my doors that this would fit on.

Where does it obtain it's power? I can imagine many locks that will be too tight for this to work with. What about doors that you need to push slightly to make make the bold easier to slide? Will this do that? No of course not.

This is a solution looking for a problem I think.

I foresee most of these not doing the job intended and ending up in the bin.

Les Kern
Oct 7, 2012, 11:28 AM
Finalist: Stupidest most useless app in the history of apps. "Hey, I need to unlock my door... where's my iPad?"

Tinmania
Oct 7, 2012, 09:51 PM
Finalist: Stupidest most useless app in the history of apps. "Hey, I need to unlock my door... where's my iPad?"
You really should at least spend more than a nanosecond reading before posting. Makes you look bad.

Mike

CatsTide
Oct 7, 2012, 09:54 PM
Is this for the US only? I have NO locks on any of my doors that this would fit on.

Where does it obtain it's power? I can imagine many locks that will be too tight for this to work with. What about doors that you need to push slightly to make make the bold easier to slide? Will this do that? No of course not.

This is a solution looking for a problem I think.

I foresee most of these not doing the job intended and ending up in the bin.

Did you watch the video? I would guess not. Sounds like you need to adjust your lock on your door too.

george-brooks
Oct 8, 2012, 11:07 AM
This is so cool!! I wish my apartment had a deadbolt.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 8, 2012, 11:26 AM
I am really tempted to look into this.
1. Because I often times forget to lock my door before I go to bed at night so instead of getting out of bed to see if I locked it/locked it I just take my phone and check/lock my door.

2. I live on the third floor and when I come back from the grocery store my arms are very full of stuff. It can/has been rather tricky for me get my keys in the door to unlock it. This would allow me to unlock my door before I even got out of my car with the phone so it is good to go when I get to the door.

treynolds
Oct 8, 2012, 03:45 PM
Don't know why many of these articles bring out so many naysayers...

What's not to like?

This is cool technology, it's far cheaper that an electronic lockset and does more. Right now I have to have a key in a lockbox outside to allow people (like the cleaners) into the house. I see this as a more secure way to let people in the house remotely, especially with FaceTime. It's cool, the price is great and I've already preordered.

:)

fpsBeaTt
Oct 8, 2012, 04:29 PM
A group in my senior year capstone project class at UCSB did a very similar project to this...

On a completely different note, what possessed you to buy a 480, let alone two?

voyagerd
Oct 9, 2012, 07:26 PM
On a completely different note, what possessed you to buy a 480, let alone two?

Gaming on 2560x1440 display.

fpsBeaTt
Oct 9, 2012, 07:54 PM
Gaming on 2560x1440 display.

5970? 2x5870? Both solutions use half the power and perform just as well.

voyagerd
Oct 10, 2012, 06:20 PM
5970? 2x5870? Both solutions use half the power and perform just as well.

Not a fan of AMD.. I plan to get two GTX 780's when they are released

fpsBeaTt
Oct 10, 2012, 07:08 PM
Not a fan of AMD.. I plan to get two GTX 780's when they are released

Not a fan, either; they simply had a better lineup at the time. Now it's very close, with SLI offering better scaling.

AbSoluTc
Oct 10, 2012, 07:52 PM
I have dual XFX 7970 Black Edition's pushing 2 x 30" monitors - 2560x1600 x2 - It's really nice. Lol.

iisdan
Oct 12, 2012, 02:00 PM
I've been waiting for this forever.... but it looks like a kid lock or something, looks bad. but i need this. I hate keys.

mrsir2009
Oct 13, 2012, 04:24 PM
That plastic lock shown in the picture kinda looks like a kiddies lock - Surely though you can get some more tasteful, metal, locks...?