PDA

View Full Version : Dark areas of screen on 15" powerbook 1.5

Chrispy
Aug 26, 2005, 08:14 PM
Hey all. I noticed something on quite a few latest revision 15" powerbooks I have used lately. It seems that the upper left part of the screen is a tad darker than the upper right. Also, on the most recent one I have used, the bottom left and right corners of the screen are noticable darker. This is not a huge issue but is something that is noticable. Is this a common thing or something that just happens with some powerbooks? Is it a sign of something bad to come in the future? Just curious as I have seen this as a trend recently.

Chrispy

JeDiBoYTJ
Aug 26, 2005, 10:21 PM
ive never really noticed this... although, when I first boot my computer after it being off for a night or so, the screen is usually a little darker than it should be at full brightness because its warming up.

But let me be the first to say that my 15in screen is big, bright, and beautiful :p ... and evenly lit

Chrispy
Aug 26, 2005, 11:14 PM
yeah I noticed that it is darker when I first boot but this is normal. What makes me curious is if other people see the lower corners be darker or the upper left part be darker than the rest of the screen. Let me know if any of you have noticed this as well. Thanks

obecean
Nov 17, 2005, 01:22 AM
I bought a 15" rev D powerbook new back on 9/23/05. It appears to have the dark corners you've noticed. I don't want to jump on the scan line issue bandwagon regarding the rev E hi-def 15 " pb (though this issue would certainly be distracting and I hope apple makes it right), but I'm concerned these dark spots could be symptoms of a display on it's way out. anyone else have this or any thoughts?

generik
Nov 17, 2005, 02:09 AM
I observed light falloff in a couple corners on my PB too..

My screen also has the horizontal lines..

.. and it flickers from time to time when I am watching DVDs ..

Plus it is pretty slow.. Suddenly I really don't know what to think of Apple anymore, generally I feel quite fscked. On the upside Apple stuff has good resale.

generik
Nov 17, 2005, 02:13 AM
I bought a 15" rev D powerbook new back on 9/23/05. It appears to have the dark corners you've noticed. I don't want to jump on the scan line issue bandwagon regarding the rev E hi-def 15 " pb (though this issue would certainly be distracting and I hope apple makes it right), but I'm concerned these dark spots could be symptoms of a display on it's way out. anyone else have this or any thoughts?

Nope, it will serve out its useful lifespan alright.. what usually happens in such cases is the mirror that is at the back of the LCD to reflect the light back towards the screen is poorly mounted, and hence the inconsistencies you see in lighting are really due to the varying amounts of light reflected off.

Ideally the light should be spread consistently through the screen.

Anyway Apple won't accept returns on these too, citing "normal".

obecean
Nov 17, 2005, 10:25 AM
thanks generik,
I suppose I can live with the corners, the darkness is slight and almost looks like a drop shadow. As long as the darkness doesn't spread...