PDA

View Full Version : Clean Install Question

macuser1232
Oct 2, 2012, 05:20 PM
Ok, so soon I will be getting an external hard drive for my Macbook Pro and I was wondering how I would be able to delete all my files, reinstall the OS, and then add some files from my external hard drive back onto my Mac.
NOTE: 1 reason why i'm doing this is to relieve my paranoia that something is wrong with my MBP :)

Thanks

mrapplegate
Oct 2, 2012, 06:12 PM
Ok, so soon I will be getting an external hard drive for my Macbook Pro and I was wondering how I would be able to delete all my files, reinstall the OS, and then add some files from my external hard drive back onto my Mac.
NOTE: 1 reason why i'm doing this is to relieve my paranoia that something is wrong with my MBP :)

Thanks

Clone your drive using CCC (http://www.bombich.com/ccc_features.html) and then install ML. Bring back the files you want when done installing.

macuser1232
Oct 2, 2012, 06:34 PM
Clone your drive using CCC (http://www.bombich.com/ccc_features.html) and then install ML. Bring back the files you want when done installing.

Is CCC the best for transferring files to external hard drives? Also how would I reinstall the OS while deleting everything at the same time?

mrapplegate
Oct 2, 2012, 06:37 PM
Is CCC the best for transferring files to external hard drives? Also how would I reinstall the OS while deleting everything at the same time?

That's a matter of opinion. Most use CCC or SuperDuper to clone a drive. I use CCC.

I've never done a clean install in ML. I would boot into recovery mode by holding command R down while rebooting. Once in recovery mode use Disk Utility to erase hard drive then re-install ML. Like I said I've never done it with ML so I am not sure. The concept should work though.

laudern
Oct 2, 2012, 06:47 PM
I've done it, and it works!

macuser1232
Oct 2, 2012, 06:56 PM
Ok, so go to disk utility and delete hard drive. Then reinstall OS.

mrapplegate
Oct 2, 2012, 07:03 PM
Ok, so go to disk utility and delete hard drive. Then reinstall OS.

Well yes, format your hard drive and reinstall.

macuser1232
Oct 2, 2012, 07:20 PM
Well yes, format your hard drive and reinstall.

I gotta reformat it? I need a tutorial or something.

mrapplegate
Oct 2, 2012, 07:22 PM
I gotta reformat it? I need a tutorial or something.

Yes, you need to reformat the hard drive after you clone it.
I would search Google for Clean install Mountain Lion. Several results look good. Here is one:
http://macs.about.com/od/MountainLion/ss/How-To-Perform-A-Clean-Install-Of-Os-X-Mountain-Lion-On-A-Startup-Drive.htm

macuser1232
Oct 2, 2012, 07:42 PM
That's a matter of opinion. Most use CCC or SuperDuper to clone a drive. I use CCC.

I've never done a clean install in ML. I would boot into recovery mode by holding command R down while rebooting. Once in recovery mode use Disk Utility to erase hard drive then re-install ML. Like I said I've never done it with ML so I am not sure. The concept should work though.

Wait, isn't time machine a backup application?

mrapplegate
Oct 2, 2012, 07:43 PM
Wait, isn't time machine a backup application?

Yes, you can use Time Machine to make a backup.

mmomega
Oct 2, 2012, 07:56 PM
Also the sticky at the top of this topic should give you all the information you need.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1404860

mrapplegate
Oct 2, 2012, 08:03 PM
Also the sticky at the top of this topic should give you all the information you need.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1404860

Oops, I hate overlooking the obvious. It should help the OP a lot.

macuser1232
Oct 2, 2012, 09:18 PM
Oops, I hate overlooking the obvious. It should help the OP a lot.

Don't worry I saw the obvious before that person posted the link. I'm not stupid :) .

mrapplegate
Oct 3, 2012, 05:58 AM
Don't worry I saw the obvious before that person posted the link. I'm not stupid :) .

You took my comment the wrong way. I did not see it myself. I was not implying you did not see it. I'm glad you saw it and I hope it helps.

avbeilby
Oct 10, 2012, 05:25 PM
Hey, I've done a clean install of ML to my Mac, using an external hard drive to save the installer during the whole process. This external hard drive also had all of my files/pictures/movies etc saved to it to back up my Mac.

Once I had done the clean install I went back into the external hard drive, to copy my files back over, but all of my files etc were gone. Please tell me that I haven't deleted everything, including my back up..?

When I was erasing, it prompted me to tell me that it would only be my Mac HD that would be erased, not my external hard drive as well.
Right??

Please help!! :(

Thanks.

mrapplegate
Oct 10, 2012, 06:30 PM
Hey, I've done a clean install of ML to my Mac, using an external hard drive to save the installer during the whole process. This external hard drive also had all of my files/pictures/movies etc saved to it to back up my Mac.

Once I had done the clean install I went back into the external hard drive, to copy my files back over, but all of my files etc were gone. Please tell me that I haven't deleted everything, including my back up..?

When I was erasing, it prompted me to tell me that it would only be my Mac HD that would be erased, not my external hard drive as well.
Right??

Please help!! :(

Thanks.

It should not have been erased. Only the Mac HD should have been, provided you did not select anything else and erase that.
If your external hard drive is now wiped I suspect operator error, but there could be other explanations.

avbeilby
Oct 11, 2012, 04:07 AM
Awesome, so is there a way of getting these files back, I can't see them. So does that mean its formatted wrong or something? Thanks

mrapplegate
Oct 11, 2012, 07:13 AM
Awesome, so is there a way of getting these files back, I can't see them. So does that mean its formatted wrong or something? Thanks

I'm not sure. Look into Diskwarrier http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/ it might recover the files or fix the disk.