PDA

View Full Version : New from Comdex: Samsung's 17" Moniter

Over Achiever
Nov 20, 2002, 08:14 AM
Not bad looking...16:9 aspect ratio, but cheaper than the corresponding Sony one. :) Coming soon...

arn
Nov 20, 2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Over Achiever
Not bad looking...16:9 aspect ratio, but cheaper than the corresponding Sony one. :) Coming soon...

how much?

arn

Over Achiever
Nov 20, 2002, 08:34 AM
Whoops...forgot to attach the article. It says expected to be $699.

Samsung goes wide with new LCD
Samsung Electronics unveiled on Monday the SyncMaster 172W, a sleek 17-inch wide-format LCD that the company says delivers an additional 25 percent of work space over other displays of the same size.

The extra screen real estate doesn’t just offer additional document space and drawing area; it also allows DVDs to be viewed in wide-screen format. Its 90-degree screen tilt makes the 172W amenable to SOHO (small office home office) and business settings as well. Available at $699 in the first week of December, the 1-inch-thick display may cost more than some competing 17-inch LCDs, but it incorporates both analog and digital inputs, and its stand folds back to be used as a wall-mount bracket.

Additionally, the 172W offers Samsung’s MagicBright technology, which enables users to select one of three brightness modes: PC-Text, Internet Mode and Multimedia. The 172W delivers on the tech specs, with a resolution of 1,280 pixels by 768 pixels, a 400-to-1 contrast ratio, a fast response time of 25 milliseconds, and a 150-degree (horizontal)/120-degree (vertical) viewing angle. Samsung supports the monitor with a lengthy three-year warranty.
--Adam Fisher

And the Sony LCD I was talking about is this one (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=kugfeRvrmVkfVSYwDxgVclTmF-0H4HGvs6w=?CatalogCategoryID=9PkKC0%2eNq1sAAADxepVwgaDa&ProductID=6B4KC0%2eNhsIAAADx2slwgaDd&Dept=cpu) which costs $999. But they have their differences (i.e. no speakers...:))

Mr. Anderson
Nov 20, 2002, 02:49 PM
This is quite nice and for a good price. I hope Apple realizes that they need to start competing a little better with their quality and price when it comes to LCDs. Even though they're not wide format, the Formac monitors are a much better buy than the Apple ones. And now with more companies getting into the wide screen format, Apple has to start being concerned.

I hope when the new Apple monitors come out they aren't too expensive and have higher brightness and contrast ratios.

D

mac15
Nov 20, 2002, 06:33 PM
Very good for its price, If I had a powermac I'd concider buying one of them :)

Bear
Nov 21, 2002, 06:41 AM
The 172W delivers on the tech specs, with a resolution of 1,280 pixels by 768 pixels.

The 17" iMac G4 has a screen resolution of 1440 by 990.

The Apple 17" Studio Display is 1280 by 1024, so while you don't get the widescreen, you do get the resolution of the 172W and then some.

I suspect that when Apple releases a widescreen 17" display, the resolution will be at least as good as the 17" iMac.

Over Achiever
Nov 21, 2002, 08:08 AM
I was thinking of having it as a second moniter to my powerbook...the resolution would be great for me...but i wouldn't mind the 1440x990 of the 17" iMac screen ;)