Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

denial

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2005
Upgrade city in this household. Memory now 1.5gig, ati Radeon 9000pro (128mb) installed (very happy). Now the hard bit; installing a 2nd hard drive.

The current hard drive is a fujitsu 20gig 72000rpm. Obviously it is getting full. My options? I either want to take that out and put in a Seagate Barracuda 80gig or just put in the Seagate as a 2nd hard drive. My problem? I've never done this before and do not have a clue.

Can someone point me to link that explains, in clear English for non-techies, how I go about installing this drive?

Sorry to be a nuisance but I just don't know what to do and am worried that I could mess something up!!. I don't have the original discs and the powermac only has a cd/rw so does this make a difference? Tiger is installed on the Fujitsu and runs smoothly. What are my options? how easy is the install? I have checked inside the case and there seems to be the required cables.

In a word - HELP!!

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Ok here is what you need to do.

When installing IDE hard drives. That is what you have. The drive on the very end of the IDE cable (Thats the flat ribbon cable your hard drive is using) needs to be set to MASTER. The drive on the second fitting is your SLAVE drive. Near the power supply on the HD you will see pins and hopefully a jumper which is a small plastic square tab either white or black. You need to find out from Fujitsu and seagate what the jumper settings are for master and slave. Its either on the drive itself or go to their website.

Now that the drives are set to master and slave there should be a tray to hold the second drive in your G4. Install the drive with the 4 screws. You may need to acquire said screws. If you can't just take 2 out of the 20gb drive and use them.

Now that it is installed attach the power cable and the IDE cable. Boot your mac. Go to applications/utilities and click on Disk utility. Format the drive extended journaled single partition. Name it something nice and your are all set. You can only put up to a 120gb drive in that system so your 80gb should be fine.

Good luck.

denial

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2005
Appreciate the help MacTruck. That explains the master/slave scenario well. I have the jumper settings for both.

Thanks again.

denial

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2005
MacTruck said:
Cool. Glad I could help.

Well 1hr 10mins later all up and running!!. Once I got my head round the master/slave business it worked out a treat. Cables all there and easy to fit. Fitted with just two screws but nice and firm.

Loads of space now. Thanks for your time and encouragement MacTruck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.