PDA

View Full Version : Ripping DVD footage and then cropping it??

20rogersc
Aug 27, 2005, 09:35 AM
I have 2 hour long footage on a DVD and need to edit to 20 minutes :rolleyes:. I have got iMovie but nothing else, and will be looking to use freeware/iMovie for this one-off project.

What would you reccomend me to use to rip the DVD, and to which format?? (I need to keep the quality as it will be shown on an projector)

After this, is there a simple app that will allow me to cut sections of video easily, unlike iMovie where I have to import the whole footage in first?? Or will iMovie be able to do this easily??

Thanks
::20ROGERSC::

Jovian9
Aug 27, 2005, 10:57 AM
Assuming there is no copyright on the DVD you can extract the Video_TS files from it and turn them into QT files with Cinematize. You can extract scenes (chapters) individually this way.
Use QT Pro to cut out some of the scenes if you do not want to import into iMovie or FCP.

Jovian9
Aug 27, 2005, 10:58 AM
Oh yeah.....Cinematize is not freeware.....but it is an awesome app.

20rogersc
Aug 27, 2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks Jovian9.

I will just copy over the files from the DVD then, and do a search for a freeware app that will do this.

Anybody know of any freeware good apps to cut video footage??

macvac
Aug 29, 2005, 12:23 PM
You will not have any problem cutting and editing your video with imovie. Edit>Split video at Playhead and delete the protions you don't need.

Mac the Ripper is freeware for ripping protected DVD's (though I do not condone it nor does this forum) i won't point to you to where to get it but a google search will.

20rogersc
Aug 30, 2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks, its my own footageso thats fine, and MacTheRipper was great!!

I couldn't use iMovie in the end as the files were to big, but used Simple Video Splicer which worked well.

macvac
Aug 31, 2005, 08:04 AM
Glad it worked-sorry imovie didn't...