PDA

View Full Version : Why I will never go Android again

LachlanH
Oct 3, 2012, 06:47 PM
Hey guys, just thought I would share my experiences with the Android platform and how I have moved from liking Android to despising it. Maybe this will help anyone on the fence.

So in 2010 Apple released the iPhone 4 and Android was hitting around version 2.2

I had never owned a smartphone, just had a basic Nokia dumbphone. The iPhone 4 was all the rage but I was wary of Apple phones as my experience with the Apple brand was limited to my iPad 1. My trainee at work at just gotten himself a Nexus One which I had a play with, and quite liked. After a quick bit of searching I learnt about the HTC Desire. As far as I could tell it was one of HTC's flagship phones. I liked the look of it, so I went and got one on a 2 year contract.

For the first few weeks I loved it. It was my first smartphone and I saw no reason to want an iPhone 4 which at the time was going through antenna issues, reports were coming out of it breaking easily due to being glass etc, and I felt totally happy with my purchase.

Before long however I learned that my phone can wifi tether. I searched everywhere in the settings for it but couldn't find it.

Turns out, my phone was on Android 2.1 Eclair. Wifi Tethering was a feature added in 2.2 Froyo.

Not to worry, I will just update it I thought.
Wrong.

Which begins my first major issue with Android.
Although I bought my phone well after the release of 2.2 Froyo, it still came with 2.1.

Worse yet, the 2.2 update was not available for my phone. Why? Well because of fragmentation.

You see, to get an update to my phones software it has to go through several steps. First, Google must release the Android update. Second, HTC must get that update and add in their custom skin (Sense) and make sure it works. Then, they release that update to the phone carriers, who THEN have to modify the update to make sure it includes their carrier bloatware and BS.

So for an update to be released, it has to goto Google, then to the handset maker, then to the carrier. Which is a BIG problem. Why? Because by the time it gets to the carrier, they are busy selling the latest phone. They don't care at all about spending time on an update to a phone they have already made their money on. It literally means nothing to them.

As it was, the 2.2 update came for my phone some 5 months after 2.2 was released. And that was the only update my phone has ever received.

I always hear people moaning about Apple dropping support for older devices. Spare a thought for those on Android.
The HTC One V has a 1ghz Single core CPU. My Desire is a 1ghz Snapdragon.

The HTC Desire has slightly MORE RAM than the One V. Yet the One V runs Android 4.03

Why am I still on 2.2?

ios6 is available for the iPhone 4 (and 3gs as well I think?)

You see my issue?

So to me, who is due for a new phone, I have ordered an iphone 5.
I'm sure the Galaxy S3 is a great phone. To me thats not the issue. To me the problem is that early next year the S4 will come out and the S3 will be totally forgotten about, never updated and left in the cold.

This isn't even touching on the whole Android App store.

Now I have voiced my complaints about Android to some of my Android loving friends. "Just root your phone" they say. One friend has an S2 and says rooting it was the best thing he ever did to it.

Sure I could root it. But thats so ANTI user friendliness I find it laughable. I should not have to root my phone just to get updates or remove carrier bloatware.

The sheer number of models of all shapes and sizes running Android is killing it in my opinion. A new update comes out and HTC or Samsung or LG or whatever have to look at their DOZENS of models they have released over the last 12-18 months and decide what ones they will support the update on. It may be that all those models could technically run the update, but theres no way they will bother.

Which doesn't exactly endear the customer. If you have a phone thats 18 months old and are still receiving updates to the OS, you at least have that feeling that the company cares about you in some way. At least thats how it would be for me.

Anyway.....my iphone 5 should arrive today. Goodbye Android, and thanks for leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

Europa13
Oct 3, 2012, 06:56 PM
I'm sure the Galaxy S3 is a great phone. To me thats not the issue. To me the problem is that early next year the S4 will come out and the S3 will be totally forgotten about, never updated and left in the cold.
Another relevant point is that the resale value of the SGS3 will most likely be lower than the iPhone 5 next fall.

Gathomblipoob
Oct 3, 2012, 06:56 PM
You see, to get an update to my phones software it has to go through several steps. First, Google must release the Android update. Second, HTC must get that update and add in their custom skin (Sense) and make sure it works. Then, they release that update to the phone carriers, who THEN have to modify the update to make sure it includes their carrier bloatware and BS.

Which is why I'm glad that Apple has enough clout to tell the carriers not to load their crapware onto the iPhone, and the carriers listen.

donster28
Oct 3, 2012, 06:59 PM
First of, this is the longest post I read in a while. ;)

I've had the Google Nexus 7 with the latest and greatest Jelly Bean. I liked it for a few days, but then I started missing simple things like rubberbanding when the bottom of the page is reached and touching the very top of the webpage to hyper-zoom to the very top. I know these can be fixed with a simple OS update (assuming Apple has not patented these features yet.)

But as you said, a simple OS update is hardware specific which furthers fragmentation. So yes, once you go iOS, you'll never go back. :)

DDustiNN
Oct 3, 2012, 07:01 PM
Your experience mimics my own, and it's one of the main reasons I switched to iPhone 4 as soon as it released on Verizon. My Droid Eris was outdated in mere months after it released... Just like the Moto Droid, the HTC Incredible, and the list goes on...

I just couldn't stand the fact that I had my phone for less than 6 months, and new OS updates were coming to the newer phones, newer apps and games weren't compatible with my phone, lag was becoming an issue...

Not good for a 2-year contract.

Apple supports their devices for much longer (and they work better, longer). The iPhone 4 missed out on a couple features, like Siri and iOS 6 Maps full functionality, but it's a 2-year-old phone and still works with nearly every other app available. That's pretty impressive in comparison to my Android experience.

My iPhone 5 just blows it out if the water though. So... Freaking... Fast.

LSUtigers03
Oct 3, 2012, 07:01 PM
Which is why I'm glad that Apple has enough clout to tell the carriers not to load their crapware onto the iPhone, and the carriers listen.

Apple puts enough worthless apps on the iPhone so I guess this is a good thing.

DDustiNN
Oct 3, 2012, 07:05 PM
Another relevant point is that the resale value of the SGS3 will most likely be lower than the iPhone 5 next fall.

That's a good point.

Resale for the iPhone 4 was about $180-200.

Resale for my sister's Droid Incredible was about $30-50.

Both phones were released within a couple months of each other.

For even more perspective, Best Buy trade-in values last week...

iPhone 4: $165
Droid Incredible: $38
LG enV3: $30

So there's that...

kitkit201
Oct 3, 2012, 07:06 PM
Good post OP.. I have the same feelings.

Fragmentation is a big part of Androids failure unless you get a AOSP device from Google. The "fun" part of it is rooting and installing non-native packages and getting a mashed up version from people's OS leaks and packages.

Full disclosure: i had the SG3 for about a month and a half after selling my iPhone and used it as my daily phone doing what i do normally. (Had the iphone since the very first one on launch day!)

Personally, I could not be happier with the iPhone , but wished there was more 'openess' to the amounts of software out there. For example, Swifttype3 is an amazing Keyboard extension for the Androids, does predictive words from your usage and its something that I really miss in the iOS world.

spades1412
Oct 3, 2012, 07:07 PM

The carriers don't "listen" to anything. They simply do not have a choice.

Gathomblipoob
Oct 3, 2012, 07:13 PM

Same thing.

pragmatous
Oct 3, 2012, 07:22 PM
I'm glad you wrote this because I don't think google themselves realize how bad the fragmentation is.

Yes you can say that who cares I just want a phone to make calls and never update android. I'm sure that would be a phandroids response right? Well some apps aren't available for all android phones. Some phones require a certain version of android and a certain processor. A friend can show up with his new phone and be like "dude check out this app" you go look for that app and you won't find it. "I can't find it what is it called again" you ask looking like a retard "dude it's <blah blah blah>" .. "I'm typing it in and it doesn't show up .. well whatever" - Not really realizing that it's because they don't have certain specs of software and hardware.

Well you might say "i don't need apps I just need a phone" - Ok well you're probably the 2% of users like that.

I can go on for even longer from development nightmares, the stupid 50MB app size limit, to how apps are interpreted (virtualized) on top of a virtual machine. All apps on android run slow - nothing can be done about it. Not to mention the Apps look like crap compared to iOS because of the stupid app size limit.

Hey guys, just thought I would share my experiences with the Android platform and how I have moved from liking Android to despising it. Maybe this will help anyone on the fence.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 3, 2012, 07:25 PM
Apple has left iP4 users without Siri, turn by turn navigation, Flyover, FaceTime over cell, Panorama, AirPlay mirroring, and probably more I can't think of at the moment.

So I don't understand the OP's gripe.

pragmatous
Oct 3, 2012, 07:30 PM
Probably hardware limitations. It's a phone that's 2 years old. Android phones don't get updated ever. When they do that's the only time it will get updated before being forgotten. At least your old iPhone is still relevant.

Apple has left iP4 users without Siri, turn by turn navigation, Flyover, FaceTime over cell, Panorama, AirPlay mirroring, and probably more I can't think of at the moment.

cynics
Oct 3, 2012, 07:33 PM
So you are leaving Android for a feature you never got on a particular Android phone, that the iPhone will never get?

Or do you mean you are willing to pay for it on the iPhone?

Also why didn't you download a wifi tethering app?

I can understand wanting to leave android but this just seems like silly reason.

GoDuke1
Oct 3, 2012, 07:34 PM
I'm in the same boat. I have the HTC Droid Incredible 2. Great phone but not perfect. It's still on 2.3.4 Gingerbread. While Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean has been "approved" for this phone, I'm sure I'll never see the updates. So I will be getting the iPhone 5 in a few months when my upgrade comes up.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 3, 2012, 07:36 PM
Probably hardware limitations. It's a phone that's 2 years old. Android phones don't get updated ever. When they do that's the only time it will get updated before being forgotten. At least your old iPhone is still relevant.

Siri has been proven to work fine on the 4. Don't see any reason why turn by turn shouldn't work and the same with panorama. Flyover is the only thing I can see the just might be to brutal on the iP4.

But anyways, Android updates are much less streamlined than iOS. That's the nature of the beast. It's also wise never to purchase expecting updates, and/or do your homework.

cynics
Oct 3, 2012, 07:39 PM

Android base OS doesn't get updated due to hardware limitations.

Native apps are separate of the OS though. So maps for example will get updated quite often. Android doesn't need to make an entire new operating system for a new map app....

Siri was in the App Store and on iPhone 4 before apple bought it then killed it for 4 users. It was a marketing ploy for the 4S not hardware limitations.

What is the point of updating the phone if you don't get new features? Might as well not update...

Wrathwitch

I've had the Google Nexus 7 with the latest and greatest Jelly Bean. I liked it for a few days, but then I started missing simple things like rubberbanding when the bottom of the page is reached and touching the very top of the webpage to hyper-zoom to the very top. I know these can be fixed with a simple OS update (assuming Apple has not patented these features yet.)

But as you said, a simple OS update is hardware specific which furthers fragmentation. So yes, once you go iOS, you'll never go back. :)

Incorrect. I went FROM iOS to Android and the phone is quite sufficient. I am enjoying it. I am sure there are millions of others like me, ergo they are selling in the millions.

Yep

The carriers dictate TO the manufacturers what they want in a phone, those that don't have the bankroll, have NO say in the matter. Apple and Sammy are the only 2 major players that have clout in what they put in their software and what they don't. Apple moreso than Sammy.

The carriers are the biggest killer in innovation for phones that there is going atm, if you don't believe me, do some research.

OP, glad you found a phone that works for you. You make it seem like as an Android user we have no choice in what happens to the phone. Perhaps in some ways you are right in that rooting and flashing ROMs etc are not necessarily user friendly, but the developers at Xda etc, support the phones longer than Apple does if the user is willing to take the steps to make it happen.

I personally believe that learning and doing new things keeps the brain from becoming stale, ergo things like learning how to root and flash ROMS which I haven't yet as I am very content with my S3, will be something I look into if I get the feeling that my phone is being left behind by Sammy and the carriers.

Peace all.

LachlanH
So you are leaving Android for a feature you never got on a particular Android phone, that the iPhone will never get?

Or do you mean you are willing to pay for it on the iPhone?

Also why didn't you download a wifi tethering app?

I can understand wanting to leave android but this just seems like silly reason.

I got wifi tethering in the 2.2 update. Pay for it on the iPhone? We don't pay extra to tether our phones in Australia.

I leaving Android not over any one feature, but over the complete lack of support and updates to my phone. It was dead and forgotten about within 6 months.

sixteen12
Oct 3, 2012, 07:40 PM
Yeah Apple does leave some features out of old phones when updating to the latest OS, but they get 95% of the new features.

I switched back from Android (lots of devices) because overall I couldn't get it working anywhere near as well as I wanted. Custom ROMS are fun, but only to a point, I eventually got fed up, as each ROM would have unique quirks because its one guy or a small group of guys writing, changing, testing this software, a lot of stuff got missed. Also, I never install a .exe file I find in a forum on the internet, no mater how reliable. Installing a custom ROM, from XDA or otherwise, is essentially installing Bill and Jim Much Improved Windauz fer Mac over your existing OS. Its ludicrous when you think about it, and even more so when you realize how hard it is to recover from a bricked or nearly bricked phone.

That being said, I miss quite a few things from android. Subsonic, sharing any type of file I want, tasker, changing native apps, etc. But ultimately the iPhone works extremely well for me.

Ultimately its a phone, if it works well for you, use it. If it doesn't well try something else.

cynics
Oct 3, 2012, 07:41 PM

Exactly. But the 4 has a nice new shiny 6.0 next to version number. I guess it also got all the bugs with iOS 6 so there's that.

petes67bird
Oct 3, 2012, 07:42 PM
Yeah Apple does leave some features out of old phones when updating to the latest OS, but they get 95% of the new features.

I switched back from Android (lots of devices) because overall I couldn't get it working anywhere near as well as I wanted. Custom ROMS are fun, but only to a point, I eventually got fed up, as each ROM would have unique quirks because its one guy or a small group of guys writing, changing, testing this software, a lot of stuff got missed. Also, I never install a .exe file I find in a forum on the internet, no mater how reliable. Installing a custom ROM, from XDA or otherwise, is essentially installing Bill and Jim Much Improved Windauz fer Mac over your existing OS. Its ludicrous when you think about it, and even more so when you realize how hard it is to recover from a bricked or nearly bricked phone.

That being said, I miss quite a few things from android. Subsonic, sharing any type of file I want, tasker, changing native apps, etc. But ultimately the iPhone works extremely well for me.

Ultimately its a phone, if it works well for you, use it. If it doesn't well try something else.

I agree, I have both apple and android and love both.

LachlanH
Oct 3, 2012, 07:46 PM
Incorrect. I went FROM iOS to Android and the phone is quite sufficient. I am enjoying it. I am sure there are millions of others like me, ergo they are selling in the millions.

Yep

The carriers dictate TO the manufacturers what they want in a phone, those that don't have the bankroll, have NO say in the matter. Apple and Sammy are the only 2 major players that have clout in what they put in their software and what they don't. Apple moreso than Sammy.

The carriers are the biggest killer in innovation for phones that there is going atm, if you don't believe me, do some research.

OP, glad you found a phone that works for you. You make it seem like as an Android user we have no choice in what happens to the phone. Perhaps in some ways you are right in that rooting and flashing ROMs etc are not necessarily user friendly, but the developers at Xda etc, support the phones longer than Apple does if the user is willing to take the steps to make it happen.

I personally believe that learning and doing new things keeps the brain from becoming stale, ergo things like learning how to root and flash ROMS which I haven't yet as I am very content with my S3, will be something I look into if I get the feeling that my phone is being left behind by Sammy and the carriers.

Peace all.

Don't get me wrong, I love technology. Build my own computers, flash ROM's, etc all the time. I don't have a problem with my phone, or any Android phone, IF you look at that phone in a bubble. Theres nothing my phone can't do now as such that I really want it to. I am updating because my contract ended and it will cost me almost nothing extra a month to get a new phone. I knew months ago though that I would go iPhone, simply because my phone is the exact same phone it was 19 months ago. No updates have come out for it, no new software features etc.

Sure ios6 on the iPhone 4 is missing a heap of features. But the fact that it gained any new features at all is something I cannot say about my current phone 2 years into it's life.

cynics
Oct 3, 2012, 07:58 PM
I got wifi tethering in the 2.2 update. Pay for it on the iPhone? We don't pay extra to tether our phones in Australia.

I leaving Android not over any one feature, but over the complete lack of support and updates to my phone. It was dead and forgotten about within 6 months.

Didn't know you got free tethering. That's cool.

I think you falling for the ploy apple uses to not support devices. Apple just doesn't give it features.

Example, why doesn't the 4 get FaceTime over cellular? It works fine with jailbreak. So why can't it support the more streamline FaceTime?

Same goes with Siri.

With Android you need to be wary of device or be prepared to root. I can understand why people don't like this solution. I stick with nexus devices only with Android. Not only will it be supported for 18 months after that there is good developer support to upgrade it further.

Regardless I think you'll be happy with the iPhone. I'm finding iOS 6 to be a bit bugging so I'm anxiously waiting 6.1 or whatever.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 3, 2012, 08:00 PM
Sure ios6 on the iPhone 4 is missing a heap of features. But the fact that it gained any new features at all is something I cannot say about my current phone 2 years into it's life.

So you plan on keeping the iP5 more than 2 years?

I do agree with you that you'll be getting some UI and functionality upgrades within those 2 years. But it would be the type of functionality that will most likely be exclusive to Apple. Any UI or cross platform function upgrades you get, Android will most likely already have.

IMO .... iOS and Android upgrades are for differ reasons in general. At least from a user's perspective.

wonderspark
Oct 3, 2012, 08:05 PM
I see your frustration, but I've been pretty happy with my first Android phone, an HTC Inspire 4G. It launched with 2.2.1 Froyo with the custom HTC Sense 2.0 skin as the user interface. The OS was later updated on August 8, 2011 to 2.3.3 with Sense 2.1 and again on July 31, 2012 to Android 2.3.5 with Sense 3.0

I also have an iPhone 3GS, which currently has 5.1.1 on it, which I really like. I had my iPhone jailbroken for many great features like SBSettings and such, but eventually Apple copied and integrated the cool things jailbreaking offered in their iOS updates, and now I leave it unjailbroken on 5.1.1. I won't go to iOS 6, because I really love it the way it is, and my Android phone does all the greatest turn-by-turn voice navigation I could ever want, flawlessly at that.

Both my phones are out of contract, and both are unlocked, so now I use both to travel overseas with prepaid SIM cards. They both work so brilliantly for this, that at this point I'm only waiting to see who makes a new multi-band phone that can do EVERYthing my two phones do now, in one phone. I think that might be the Galaxy S4 or something not yet out. It annoys me that iPhones come in three radio band flavors, but if I were to get an iPhone 5, it would probably be the Verizon one for the better radio band selection for my traveling purposes.

LachlanH
Oct 3, 2012, 08:08 PM
Didn't know you got free tethering. That's cool.

I think you falling for the ploy apple uses to not support devices. Apple just doesn't give it features.

Example, why doesn't the 4 get FaceTime over cellular? It works fine with jailbreak. So why can't it support the more streamline FaceTime?

Same goes with Siri.

With Android you need to be wary of device or be prepared to root. I can understand why people don't like this solution. I stick with nexus devices only with Android. Not only will it be supported for 18 months after that there is good developer support to upgrade it further.

Regardless I think you'll be happy with the iPhone. I'm finding iOS 6 to be a bit bugging so I'm anxiously waiting 6.1 or whatever.

Oh I am well aware Apple leave out features on older hardware to entice people to upgrade. I don't like it and think it's a dirty tactic. Sometimes there are hardware limitations but often it's just a choice they have made.

As I said though, they DO get new features on a phone thats 2 years old. Some new features are better than none.

I do agree with the Nexus idea. When I got my HTC Desire, my workmate took great humour in updating his phone right next to me. I think he was on 2.3 before I got 2.2. He had a Nexus One.

And yeah IF I had to pay for tethering......well that would possibly be a different story. I use tethering often and would HATE the idea of having to pay extra for it. I think I would have to stick with Android or jailbreak. Luckily I don't have to make that choice. We still have lame data plans like you guys, and I think we pay way more for excess data. Like...10c per megabyte. (Or $100 for 1GB over)

kdarling
Oct 3, 2012, 08:08 PM

Android phones actually get updated all the time, because their core apps are separate from the OS.

Even my beat up old original Moto Droid (2.2) and HTC Eris (2.1) run Google vector graphics Maps with navigation, for example, and can run all sorts of aftermarket launchers, stock.

And on earlier iPhones, Apple left out core features like MMS, video camera, voice control, in OS upgrades, even though they would've worked.

Agreed. But everyone has a tipping point, often an app they want/need. In this case, tethering.

dmelgar
Oct 3, 2012, 08:12 PM
Same boat for me. I've had an HTC incredible then HTC thunderbolt. Both have stupid software issues. Once they have your money, there is no interest to fix it. Lots of supposed features that never worked well or at all and no updates. I give. I'm very happy with my iPhone 5 and getting more impressed with it over time.

The incredible had a problem for months when it came out, that a long download would crash the entire phone and cause a reboot.

The phone has around 6 gb of memory but it turns out apps live in a tiny 300mb partition. Ran out of that real quick. Was there EVER an update to fix that? Heck no. Buy a new phone.

Not to mention crappy battery life and junky hardware. I had to buy a huge double size battery to try and make it through a day. And the screen has all these dots in it as the touch sensor. And worried about multi touch limitations.

So I bought an HTC thunderbolt. First lte phone. Sure I had to buy an enormous battery to make it through the day. Ended up with a huge brick of a phone. Then I notice lots of bugs, but never a fix. Voice recognition doesn't register anything half the time, and it complains to you to speak louder. Unreliable touches even on the large keyboard. Almost daily reboots. Reboots that take 5 minutes. Then FINALLY an update this past May. Great update. Since then LTE is broken. Does HTC fix it? Does Verizon? Heck no. They say its out of warranty even though its clearly a software issue. They say buy a new phone.

Got so bad I switched back to my incredible while waiting for the iPhone 5. Then on there now pandora will only play 30 seconds of any song. I've tried everything. Doesn't work.

Not worth selling either one. They're worth practically nothing.

HTC PROMISED to put ice cream sandwich on the thunderbolt. They've been working on it for almost a year. Then they PROMISED it would be out in August. DIDN'T HAPPEN. I don't care anymore. I have a new working phone.

I develop apps for both platforms so I don't want to get rid of them anyway.

I used to like the freedoms of android, but realized its been turned against the platform so that manufacturers and carriers can treat it like the old phone appliance model.

You bought it, your stuck with it.

pragmatous
Oct 3, 2012, 08:14 PM
I'm not talking about apps being updated I'm talking about the actual operating system version. Your moto droid will never see 4.1 even though it's like 2 years old.

Android phones actually get updated all the time, because their core apps are separate from the OS.

Even my beat up old original Moto Droid (2.2) and HTC Eris (2.1) run Google vector graphics Maps with navigation, for example, and can run all sorts of aftermarket launchers, stock.

And on earlier iPhones, Apple left out core features like MMS, video camera, voice control, in OS upgrades, even though they would've worked.

Agreed. But everyone has a tipping point, often an app they want/need. In this case, tethering.

LachlanH
Oct 3, 2012, 08:22 PM
Same boat for me. I've had an HTC incredible then HTC thunderbolt. Both have stupid software issues. Once they have your money, there is no interest to fix it. Lots of supposed features that never worked well or at all and no updates. I give. I'm very happy with my iPhone 5 and getting more impressed with it over time.

The incredible had a problem for months when it came out, that a long download would crash the entire phone and cause a reboot.

The phone has around 6 gb of memory but it turns out apps live in a tiny 300mb partition. Ran out of that real quick. Was there EVER an update to fix that? Heck no. Buy a new phone.

Not to mention crappy battery life and junky hardware. I had to buy a huge double size battery to try and make it through a day. And the screen has all these dots in it as the touch sensor. And worried about multi touch limitations.

So I bought an HTC thunderbolt. First lte phone. Sure I had to buy an enormous battery to make it through the day. Ended up with a huge brick of a phone. Then I notice lots of bugs, but never a fix. Voice recognition doesn't register anything half the time, and it complains to you to speak louder. Unreliable touches even on the large keyboard. Almost daily reboots. Reboots that take 5 minutes. Then FINALLY an update this past May. Great update. Since then LTE is broken. Does HTC fix it? Does Verizon? Heck no. They say its out of warranty even though its clearly a software issue. They say buy a new phone.

Got so bad I switched back to my incredible while waiting for the iPhone 5. Then on there now pandora will only play 30 seconds of any song. I've tried everything. Doesn't work.

Not worth selling either one. They're worth practically nothing.

HTC PROMISED to put ice cream sandwich on the thunderbolt. They've been working on it for almost a year. Then they PROMISED it would be out in August. DIDN'T HAPPEN. I don't care anymore. I have a new working phone.

I develop apps for both platforms so I don't want to get rid of them anyway.

I used to like the freedoms of android, but realized its been turned against the platform so that manufacturers and carriers can treat it like the old phone appliance model.

You bought it, your stuck with it.

Wow... I am glad I didn't have your experience.
One issue I have is whenever I am at my girlfriends, my phone goes from fully charged to totally flat in literally 2 hours, if that.

I'm sure it is because I get poorish signal at her place but I can still make phone calls and see a couple of bars of 3g coverage. But completely flat in 2 hours, every time. Meanwhile her slightly newer Desire HD doesn't have that issue. I will be very interested to see if the iphone 5 has this issue as I will be with the same carrier.

cynics
Oct 3, 2012, 08:40 PM
I'm not talking about apps being updated I'm talking about the actual operating system version. Your moto droid will never see 4.1 even though it's like 2 years old.

And what changed from iOS 5 to 6? Do not disturb, reply with text, crappy fb integration and maybe a couple other useless things. The OS hasnt really changed in function or appearance.

Everything else was the apps. Find my friends app, maps app, mail app, safari app, App Store app etc. All these things are apps on Android that get updated separately and way more often albeit the Android version like latitude in place of find my friends and google play instead of App Store.

So people are waiting for an update to the App Store because if crashing and poor/no performance (mine is ok thankfully). Apple is going to have to update the ENTIRE operating system to fix a couple of bugs in a single app. That will take quite a bit of time vs just fixing the App Store and updating it.

Hyper-X
Oct 3, 2012, 08:53 PM

Not so sure about that. The iP5 has not made a strong presence compared to the iPhone 4S. There hasn't been this many complaints about any iPhone since the "death grip" issue of the original 4.

When you mention iPhone 5 to anyone, people immediately associate it with defective maps. For build quality, someone who knows what the 4s feels like will think the 5 feels cheap due to the weight difference.

Also many Android phones are true "world phones" as in they support both CDMA and GSM the caveat being the carrier may disable one or the other. Retail box full price, unlocked Apple iPhone 5 is GSM only, absolutely incapable of being used on any CDMA network. The Verizon version can't even do SVLTE even though the network is capable of it due to a lack of an extra antenna only found on AT&T iPhones. It's like Apple deliberately screwed over Verizon in favor of AT&T. Sprint is simply garbage, their network is slow, their existing 3G customers using iPhones are by majority experiencing EDGE data speeds and their LTE is even less developed than any other major carrier, makes you wonder why Sprint even decided to play with the big dogs Verizon and AT&T. Having unlimited data has no value when the data network experience makes you think you're back on dial-up.

The S3 is easy to service, old batteries can be replaced easily, has the hardware to do SVLTE, needs no jailbreak to extract the full potential of the device. The battery cover is cheap to replace so it's not hard to restore the S3 to almost like-new condition much easier and cheaper than you would a scratched up iPhone 5.

TheMTtakeover
Oct 3, 2012, 08:57 PM
Seems to me that you don't like android because you didn't get the device you really wanted. That is far from androids fault. You want timely updates get a nexus. Did you do any research at all to see that you could load up a custom ROM and upgrade yourself?

PDFierro
Oct 3, 2012, 09:03 PM
Could always go with the Nexus line. Easy fix.

Vegastouch
Oct 3, 2012, 09:28 PM

So in 2010 Apple released the iPhone 4 and Android was hitting around version 2.2

I had never owned a smartphone, just had a basic Nokia dumbphone. The iPhone 4 was all the rage but I was wary of Apple phones as my experience with the Apple brand was limited to my iPad 1. My trainee at work at just gotten himself a Nexus One which I had a play with, and quite liked. After a quick bit of searching I learnt about the HTC Desire. As far as I could tell it was one of HTC's flagship phones. I liked the look of it, so I went and got one on a 2 year contract.

For the first few weeks I loved it. It was my first smartphone and I saw no reason to want an iPhone 4 which at the time was going through antenna issues, reports were coming out of it breaking easily due to being glass etc, and I felt totally happy with my purchase.

Before long however I learned that my phone can wifi tether. I searched everywhere in the settings for it but couldn't find it.

Turns out, my phone was on Android 2.1 Eclair. Wifi Tethering was a feature added in 2.2 Froyo.

Not to worry, I will just update it I thought.
Wrong.

Which begins my first major issue with Android.
Although I bought my phone well after the release of 2.2 Froyo, it still came with 2.1.

Worse yet, the 2.2 update was not available for my phone. Why? Well because of fragmentation.

So for an update to be released, it has to goto Google, then to the handset maker, then to the carrier. Which is a BIG problem. Why? Because by the time it gets to the carrier, they are busy selling the latest phone. They don't care at all about spending time on an update to a phone they have already made their money on. It literally means nothing to them.

As it was, the 2.2 update came for my phone some 5 months after 2.2 was released. And that was the only update my phone has ever received.

I always hear people moaning about Apple dropping support for older devices. Spare a thought for those on Android.

The HTC Desire has slightly MORE RAM than the One V. Yet the One V runs Android 4.03

Why am I still on 2.2?

You see my issue?

This isn't even touching on the whole Android App store.

Now I have voiced my complaints about Android to some of my Android loving friends. "Just root your phone" they say. One friend has an S2 and says rooting it was the best thing he ever did to it.

Sure I could root it. But thats so ANTI user friendliness I find it laughable. I should not have to root my phone just to get updates or remove carrier bloatware.

The sheer number of models of all shapes and sizes running Android is killing it in my opinion. A new update comes out and HTC or Samsung or LG or whatever have to look at their DOZENS of models they have released over the last 12-18 months and decide what ones they will support the update on. It may be that all those models could technically run the update, but theres no way they will bother.

Which doesn't exactly endear the customer. If you have a phone thats 18 months old and are still receiving updates to the OS, you at least have that feeling that the company cares about you in some way. At least thats how it would be for me.

Anyway.....my iphone 5 should arrive today. Goodbye Android, and thanks for leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

Whatever....you can switch to the iPhone 5 and immediately know that your Maps are messed up and Cook has already apologized for it and said to download something else

Not to mention they have admitted there is an issue with the iP5 camera (http://gizmodo.com/5947972/apple-acknowledges-iphone-5-camera-problem-says-youre-holding-it-wrong) as well with it getting some purple or, some sort of color while using it.

You still want to buy it with known issues that wont be fixed anytime soon?

As for Android, you should of kept with the Nexus line if you want faster OS updates and dont want to root. Your apps will be updated all the time and your old HTC Desire is getting the most current Maps as the newest Android. Apple cant say they update all their apps to all older phones.

Android is doing really good now. Far cry from 2.1 but its ok. Go with a phone that you know out of the box will have issues.

Sensamic
Oct 3, 2012, 09:37 PM
I left my iPhone 4 and bought a SGS3 because I got tired of...

Not getting Siri after only one year.

Two years later I don't get turn by turn (TomTom has turn by turn on the iPhone 4, so why Apple doesn't include it??), facetime over 3G, etc.

And people say Apple is better with updates?

Yeah. Sure...

throAU
Oct 3, 2012, 09:45 PM

At least the iphones get security updates and other software updates. There were hardware reasons for the lack of at least a couple of features not pushed to the 4.

There is a huge number of vulnerable Android devices out there that will never get fixed.

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 3, 2012, 10:00 PM
At least the iphones get security updates and other software updates. There were hardware reasons for the lack of at least a couple of features not pushed to the 4.

There is a huge number of vulnerable Android devices out there that will never get fixed.

Sources? .....

Like cynics already mentioned. Android app updates usually take care of that. Any serious exploits, the manufacture and/or google actually does update.

blackhand1001
Oct 3, 2012, 10:06 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love technology. Build my own computers, flash ROM's, etc all the time. I don't have a problem with my phone, or any Android phone, IF you look at that phone in a bubble. Theres nothing my phone can't do now as such that I really want it to. I am updating because my contract ended and it will cost me almost nothing extra a month to get a new phone. I knew months ago though that I would go iPhone, simply because my phone is the exact same phone it was 19 months ago. No updates have come out for it, no new software features etc.

Why not wait for the new nexus. Google actually has a better track record of giving new features to the old handsets than even apple with the nexus series. The nexus s and xoom both have full blown jellybean with all of its features. They don't have a watered down version.

Technarchy
Oct 3, 2012, 10:27 PM
Eventually, the drama that comes with android gets old.

I gave it a shot all the way from cupcake to Ice Cream Sandwhich, and it just sucks. Yeah, it's got a couple of neat features that I don't care about, but overall, the experience, support, and polish leave me cold.

I see nothing in Jelly Bean that leads me to believe that android is any less of a zoo.

LachlanH
Oct 3, 2012, 10:36 PM
I left my iPhone 4 and bought a SGS3 because I got tired of...

Not getting Siri after only one year.

Two years later I don't get turn by turn (TomTom has turn by turn on the iPhone 4, so why Apple doesn't include it??), facetime over 3G, etc.

And people say Apple is better with updates?

Yeah. Sure...

See, the SGS 3 is the current flagship Android phone so it's probably a very pleasing phone to own. For now. My gripe is that once the Galaxy S4 or whatever comes to replace it (in a matter of months), they will drop support for the S3 like a ton of bricks. MUCH more so than Apple does with any of their iPhones.

PDFierro
Oct 3, 2012, 10:44 PM
See, the SGS 3 is the current flagship Android phone so it's probably a very pleasing phone to own. For now. My gripe is that once the Galaxy S4 or whatever comes to replace it (in a matter of months), they will drop support for the S3 like a ton of bricks. MUCH more so than Apple does with any of their iPhones.

Again, why aren't you looking at the Nexus phones? Every other Android phone is going to be an unfair comparison to the iPhone when talking about them not getting the recent updates.

Vegastouch
Oct 3, 2012, 11:11 PM
Eventually, the drama that comes with android gets old.

I gave it a shot all the way from cupcake to Ice Cream Sandwhich, and it just sucks. Yeah, it's got a couple of neat features that I don't care about, but overall, the experience, support, and polish leave me cold.

I see nothing in Jelly Bean that leads me to believe that android is any less of a zoo.

On what device did you use ICS? Last we saw, you got rid of your GS2 well before ICS came to it. Using your buddy's for a few minutes isnt the same thing and ICS is much, much better than the Froyo i came from and we already know Gingerbread was more a OS for the tablets.

I dont care which device you use but dont get why you always come in this section to only rip Android if you have moved on like you say.

onthecouchagain
Oct 3, 2012, 11:22 PM
TL;DR: "I didn't do research and I made a mistake. So screw Android for eternity."

It's all good, mate, but that's essentially what happened.

G51989
Oct 3, 2012, 11:29 PM

Who cares about the resale value of a phone? Its such a tiny amount of money its 100% irrelevant. Compared to the resale value of your car or house.

Am I the only person who keeps phones until they just stop working? I had a Windows Mobile phone for like 4 years, I didn't run out and upgrade the second something better comes out?

onthecouchagain
Oct 3, 2012, 11:45 PM
Who cares about the resale value of a phone? Its such a tiny amount of money its 100% irrelevant.

Just one more thing Apple fans will tout to have you believe anything.

I've done the math, and the difference is really marginal. Why? Because Apple products are so expensive to begin with.

I've done the math with unlock phones. At the end, you lose about the same amount. I'm too lazy to go through specifics again, but it essentially looks like this:

Unlocked iPhone = ~$700 bucks
Resale value = ~$500
Lose = ~$200

Unlocked GSIII, for example = ~$600
Resale value = ~$400
Lose = ~$200

Unlocked Galxy Nexus = ~$400
Resale value = ~$200
Lose = ~$200

This is obviously rough math, and I don't doubt iPhones sell easier and are more valuable. I'm simply saying when you do the real math, the margins are a lot smaller than a lot of iPhone fans want you to believe.

And no matter how good the resale value is, doesn't make the iOS experience any better! ;)

Europa13
Oct 4, 2012, 12:04 AM
Who cares about the resale value of a phone? Its such a tiny amount of money its 100% irrelevant. Compared to the resale value of your car or house.

Am I the only person who keeps phones until they just stop working? I had a Windows Mobile phone for like 4 years, I didn't run out and upgrade the second something better comes out?

A lot of us care. It allows us to upgrade for free on the years that we're eligible for full subsidy. We aren't talking about cars and houses; we're talking about a phone - a phone that has a resale value of $300 or $400 dollars when it's a year old.

Mackan
Oct 4, 2012, 12:50 AM
Why am I still on 2.2?

You see my issue?

iOS 6 is only available with limited features on the 3GS. And some features are by purpose not available for older models, since Apple wants you to upgrade and buy new as often as possible. Be prepared to face that as well, when you switch to iPhone.

dmelgar
Oct 4, 2012, 12:58 AM
Seems to me that you don't like android because you didn't get the device you really wanted. That is far from androids fault. You want timely updates get a nexus. Did you do any research at all to see that you could load up a custom ROM and upgrade yourself?
Even the recent nexus was slow getting updates. I can't remember which one that Verizon was holding up.

----------

iOS 6 is only available with limited features on the 3GS. And some features are by purpose not available for older models, since Apple wants you to upgrade and buy new as often as possible. Be prepared to face that as well, when you switch to iPhone.

Unlike android w no support after 6 months....

ReanimationN
Oct 4, 2012, 01:06 AM

Yeah, I really miss this when using Android, it bugs me big time.
Installing a custom ROM, from XDA or otherwise, is essentially installing Bill and Jim Much Improved Windauz fer Mac over your existing OS. Its ludicrous when you think about it, and even more so when you realize how hard it is to recover from a bricked or nearly bricked phone.

That being said, I miss quite a few things from android. Subsonic, sharing any type of file I want, tasker, changing native apps, etc. But ultimately the iPhone works extremely well for me.:D

I don't get the appeal of custom ROMs either. I own a Nexus 7, which works well out of the box, I'm glad I don't have to go trawling through XDA in order to find a ROM that makes my device perform acceptably. I'd only ever keep my device on its stock ROM.

dmelgar
Oct 4, 2012, 01:07 AM
Wow... I am glad I didn't have your experience.
One issue I have is whenever I am at my girlfriends, my phone goes from fully charged to totally flat in literally 2 hours, if that.

I'm sure it is because I get poorish signal at her place but I can still make phone calls and see a couple of bars of 3g coverage. But completely flat in 2 hours, every time. Meanwhile her slightly newer Desire HD doesn't have that issue. I will be very interested to see if the iphone 5 has this issue as I will be with the same carrier.
Reminds me of another problem on my incredible.
Very often some runaway process gets going. I'll pick up the phone that's just been sitting there and it's hot and it's down to 50% power. Didn't figure out what it was. Safest to just reboot.
Android in general allows apps to run in the background. Can be neat if the app is well behaved but if its not...
iOS doesn't normally allow apps to run in the background but they can ask to run in the background. But it's limited to 10 minutes max to finish doing something. .
Skype on my thunderbolt kills the battery. Can't leave it logged in. I can't lock the phone while in the camera app. Either action will kill the battery.
No such problems with iOS. I can stay connected. That, after all is the purpose of a phone. Communication.

matttye
Oct 4, 2012, 02:28 AM
Siri has been proven to work fine on the 4. Don't see any reason why turn by turn shouldn't work and the same with panorama. Flyover is the only thing I can see the just might be to brutal on the iP4.

But anyways, Android updates are much less streamlined than iOS. That's the nature of the beast. It's also wise never to purchase expecting updates, and/or do your homework.

I think the difference is that Apple leaves out certain features, whereas you miss out on the entire update with Android.

Not a problem if you install custom ROMs, and Samsung support their phones for a while at least :) the S2 is getting jelly bean.

Markyboy81
Oct 4, 2012, 02:31 AM

However, if you buy the sgs3 now, it'll be significantly less than the iPhone 5 is now, and while the price of the sgs3 will continue to fall, the iPhone 5 will stay the same price until a new one is released. Great news for the seller, not so good for the buyer

throAU
Oct 4, 2012, 02:37 AM
And some features are by purpose not available for older models, since Apple wants you to upgrade and buy new as often as possible. Be prepared to face that as well, when you switch to iPhone.

Speculation. Sure, you can jailbreak and get some of those features. But perhaps they do not work as well as expected on the new model. E.g., siri - the 4s has a noise cancelling mic.

Facetime over 3g - maybe the codec in the 4s is better to compress the video into smaller size to suit 3g?

Fact is, you don't know and are making assumptions.

Europa13
Oct 4, 2012, 04:07 AM

Many of the new features after 3 years is better than none of the new features after 6 months.

Wrathwitch
Oct 4, 2012, 04:21 AM

True dat!

Enjoy the iPhone!

I recommend going with white if black scuff marks irritate you. Apparently even putting on cases can cause the anodization to come off. :(

VulchR
Oct 4, 2012, 05:27 AM
Not to mention they have admitted there is an issue with the iP5 camera (http://gizmodo.com/5947972/apple-acknowledges-iphone-5-camera-problem-says-youre-holding-it-wrong) as well with it getting some purple or, some sort of color while using it. ....

:rolleyes: As this has been discussed endlessly in other threads, purple fringing is an optical limitation of miniaturized camera lenses. It has everything to do with the physics of optical lenses and nothing to do with Apple per se. There are ways of digitally filtering the purple fringe out that take about a second , and the fringe doesn't appear routinely unless you take a direct shot of a very bright, compact source of light like the sun.

In any case, given the Google is such a major player in mobile phones now, I wonder why Google doesn't follow Apple's lead and stipulate licensing conditions for Android that make it more customer-friendly (requiring that the customer be allowed to remove any bloatware, prohibiting modification of key aspects of the operating system so that updates can be handled directly through Google, etc.). Oh wait ... I forgot with Google/Android the phone user is not the customer.

pmau
Oct 4, 2012, 05:32 AM
... Oh wait ... I forgot with Google/Android the phone user is not the customer.

That is so true.

JuliusPap
Oct 4, 2012, 06:05 AM
True dat!

Enjoy the iPhone!

I recommend going with white if black scuff marks irritate you. Apparently even putting on cases can cause the anodization to come off. :(

Not for me, got case on, still clean just got small scruffs from normal usage. not that big since its a phone

Mackan
Oct 4, 2012, 06:20 AM
Many of the new features after 3 years is better than none of the new features after 6 months.

Of course. I merely pointed out that Apple is no saint. They will take every reasonable chance to make you upgrade and buy new.

cynics
Oct 4, 2012, 06:24 AM
Yeah, I really miss this when using Android, it bugs me big time.
:D

I don't get the appeal of custom ROMs either. I own a Nexus 7, which works well out of the box, I'm glad I don't have to go trawling through XDA in order to find a ROM that makes my device perform acceptably. I'd only ever keep my device on its stock ROM.

A custom ROM isn't always about getting the device to perform acceptably or if it is you are asking it to do something other products on the market can't do anyway.

For example I rooted and ROM'd my Xoom when it was on Honeycomb because I wanted to overclock it. The reason I wanted to do that is so play station 1 games would have a better frame rate.

I was perfectly satisfied with the stock experience in all other cases.

MacRumorUser
Oct 4, 2012, 06:49 AM
A custom ROM isn't always about getting the device to perform acceptably or if it is you are asking it to do something other products on the market can't do anyway.

For example I rooted and ROM'd my Xoom when it was on Honeycomb because I wanted to overclock it. The reason I wanted to do that is so play station 1 games would have a better frame rate.

A little bit contradictory there ;) You wanted to over clock it so it performed more acceptably (better frame-rate) which is what your saying it isn't always about ?

----------

Apparently even putting on cases can cause the anodization to come off. :(

No problem here with a case on.... I got a black 64gb.

(alongside my HTC One X with JB & Sense 4+) :-)

hawk1410
Oct 4, 2012, 06:51 AM
Fragmentation is definitely killing it for android. Thats why I prefer getting a unlocked GSM nexus device, Android the way it was meant to be. Fast updates and no skin.

daveathall
Oct 4, 2012, 07:37 AM
I must admit that my experiance is completely different from the OP, I changed from a iPhone 4S to a Galaxy S3 and have also tried it out against an iPhone 5, the phone that gives me the most pleasure is the SGS3, both phones and OS are IMHO superb, I just prefer (ATM) the S3 and Android.

Edit; I have never jailbroken, flashed or had a custom rom etc, I also have widgets and live wallpapers and great battery life, my device doesn't hang, judder or crash. Since buying the S3 about 6 weeks ago I have had one update on ICS, I'm expecting another update to JB quite soon.

onthecouchagain
Oct 4, 2012, 08:31 AM
Speaking of getting ripped off by Apple: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-is-reaping-a-mind-blowing-93-margin-on-iPhone-5-memory_id35178

"Apple is reaping a mind-blowing 93% margin on iPhone 5 memory"

Is anyone seriously not bothered by this?

cynics
Oct 4, 2012, 08:53 AM
A little bit contradictory there ;) You wanted to over clock it so it performed more acceptably (better frame-rate) which is what your saying it isn't always about ?

----------

No problem here with a case on.... I got a black 64gb.

(alongside my HTC One X with JB & Sense 4+) :-)

Agreed, I was thinking that when I typed it but at the same time let me ask you. What do you do to increase the frame rate of PlayStation games on an iOS device?

If you think about it really everything you do with a custom ROM can be linked back to making the device run acceptably. However these are things you usually can't do with an iOS device. So are people satisfied saying "well iOS can't do it at all so I'm going to have to make due" but when it comes to Android its "I shouldn't have to put a ROM on there to make run acceptably! ie do things an iPhone/iPad can never do! Its such a hassle!".

Even just playing an emulator on iOS requires jailbreak (not so on android). I've never seen PlayStation games on an idevice either not saying they don't exist though. Not to mention overclocking which ive heard a couple times on this forum but never explored. So why should I have to jailbreak to make my iPhone run acceptably? And that's something mildly sophisticated, what about setting apps as a default? Come on that's very basic stuff I need to jb for.

Oohara
Oct 4, 2012, 09:38 AM
Speaking of getting ripped off by Apple: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-is-reaping-a-mind-blowing-93-margin-on-iPhone-5-memory_id35178

Kind of goes with the territory though, doesn't it? I mean, I love Apple products but I've learned to accept that their prices aren't "quite" proportional to the actual hardware you get :D

It's like wanting that Ralph Lauren shirt with a pink collar instead of a white one, it doesn't make any freaking sense at all that it's $100 more than the white collar version but I know and accept that I'm a victim for buying Ralph Lauren in the first place so it doesn't surprise nor upset me at all.

MacRumorUser
Oct 4, 2012, 10:01 AM
Agreed, I was thinking that when I typed it but at the same time let me ask you. What do you do to increase the frame rate of PlayStation games on an iOS device?

I don't .... I use my Vita ;-) :p

Also I believe the HTC One X is officially playstation mobile certified anyway :)

Stuntman06
Oct 4, 2012, 04:56 PM

It would only be an issue if there were some feature you really want or need on a new phone that is software only. It seemed you wanted a feature not available on the Desire and new OS release has that feature. When I had my Desire Z, it went from Froyo to GB and that's it. ICS came out, but there really wasn't anything in ICS that I really wanted or needed. Not getting ICS on my DZ didn't bother me as it did pretty much everything I needed as well if not better than the day I bought it.

If you really wanted tethering, perhaps you should have looked for a phone that had that feature. For instance, if you really wanted face unlock, you shouldn't be getting a phone that comes with GB.

AlexJaye
Oct 4, 2012, 05:12 PM

"hardware limitations".

LOL.

b24pgg
Oct 4, 2012, 05:22 PM
Rooting is half the fun of having an Android device. If you aren't rooting, you're missing out on so, so much.

MacRumorUser
Oct 4, 2012, 05:32 PM
Rooting is half the fun of having an Android device. If you aren't rooting, you're missing out on so, so much.

Just replace 'rooting' with Jailbreaking and 'android' with iOS and the same argument has been made a million times before on these forums....

TheMTtakeover
Oct 4, 2012, 07:33 PM
Even the recent nexus was slow getting updates. I can't remember which one that Verizon was holding up.[COLOR="#808080

That's on CDMA, not on GSM.

Vegastouch
Oct 4, 2012, 09:04 PM
:rolleyes: As this has been discussed endlessly in other threads, purple fringing is an optical limitation of miniaturized camera lenses. It has everything to do with the physics of optical lenses and nothing to do with Apple per se. There are ways of digitally filtering the purple fringe out that take about a second , and the fringe doesn't appear routinely unless you take a direct shot of a very bright, compact source of light like the sun.

In any case, given the Google is such a major player in mobile phones now, I wonder why Google doesn't follow Apple's lead and stipulate licensing conditions for Android that make it more customer-friendly (requiring that the customer be allowed to remove any bloatware, prohibiting modification of key aspects of the operating system so that updates can be handled directly through Google, etc.). Oh wait ... I forgot with Google/Android the phone user is not the customer.

You can remove the bloatware. Not delete it (unless you root the phone) but you can disable it(at least on the GS3 you can) and its like it isnt there and the icon disapears which also gives you better battery life.

As for the OS updates, i agree on that. It shouldnt have to go thru the carrier first. They have been improving things so we see how they do JB.

gotluck
Oct 4, 2012, 09:06 PM
Just replace 'rooting' with Jailbreaking and 'android' with iOS and the same argument has been made a million times before on these forums....

well.. it is true in both cases :p

Vegastouch
Oct 4, 2012, 09:08 PM

You can do much more on a rooted Android than you can on a jailbroken iPhone.

dmelgar
Oct 4, 2012, 09:13 PM

That is sad. The vast majority of users don't want that sort of "fun". I bet you run Linux on your PC as well...

----------

Google does the same thing with the Nexus 16GB vs. 8GB.
"Google charges $50 for $7.50 worth of storage in the Nexus 7"
http://www.zdnet.com/google-charges-50-for-7-50-worth-of-storage-in-the-nexus-7-7000000790/

Vegastouch
Oct 4, 2012, 09:18 PM
That is sad. The vast majority of users don't want that sort of "fun". I bet you run Linux on your PC as well...

----------

Google does the same thing with the Nexus 16GB vs. 8GB.
"Google charges $50 for $7.50 worth of storage in the Nexus 7"
http://www.zdnet.com/google-charges-50-for-7-50-worth-of-storage-in-the-nexus-7-7000000790/

$50 is cheaper than $100

pragmatous
Oct 4, 2012, 09:19 PM
The iPhone 4 uses the A4 processor while the iphone 4s uses the A5 processor. I can assure you that a different processor can make a difference between something being possible to something not being possible due to hardware limitations.

I know you don't understand that but I do because I'm a developer.

"hardware limitations".

LOL.

b24pgg
Oct 4, 2012, 09:35 PM
The vast majority of users don't want that sort of "fun".
Obviously. The vast majority of smartphone users utilize maybe 1% of their functionality. Those who actually have a reasonable understanding of computing always prefer Android to iOS.
I bet you run Linux on your PC as well...
Ha. I don't, but what's wrong with Linux?

Apollo 13
Oct 4, 2012, 09:57 PM
You can do much more on a rooted Android than you can on a jailbroken iPhone.

yes by installing custom roms but iphone doesn't need roms since it's fast out of the box. You can use dreamboard and winterboard and cumstomize all you want on the iphone. Also there's not that many rooting apps. Being jailbroken opens you up to crap tons of apps and tweaks.

b24pgg
Oct 4, 2012, 10:08 PM
yes by installing custom roms but iphone doesn't need roms since it's fast out of the box.
Current Android devices are fast out of the box, too.

Vegastouch
Oct 4, 2012, 10:16 PM
yes by installing custom roms but iphone doesn't need roms since it's fast out of the box. You can use dreamboard and winterboard and cumstomize all you want on the iphone. Also there's not that many rooting apps. Being jailbroken opens you up to crap tons of apps and tweaks.

You can do a lot more than ROM's as well and they are fast out of the box. Ive had an iPhone and having it jailbroken is the only way to go IMO if you own an iPhone but JB'ing dont hold a candle to what you can do to a rooted Android.

JB'ing an iPhone really just catches you up to doing things Android has been doing for years...unrooted.

Dontazemebro
Oct 4, 2012, 10:29 PM
[off topic] I just want to to know why do we always see junk threads like this in the alternative section? It seems like it's perfectly fine for someone to post "why android sucks" topics but you'll never see a iphone sucks thread in the iphone forum. And if the thread was originally created in the wrong forum why move junk threads like this to alternative forum when 9 times out of 10 you know it's just going to invite trolls to pile on.
This place is becoming an eyesore as we never see any informative android/other os threads anymore. All we see are stupid comparisons like GS3 vs iPhone 5/why I hate this etc. Like as if the GS3 is the frigging poster child of android. Just felt like ranting but the least the mods could do is move redundant threads like this to the dustbin forum just like they would do to threads that are border line trolling ios/iphone.

Carry on. :)

UseYourIllusion
Oct 4, 2012, 10:43 PM
Lot's of valid points made. For me it's the opposite. I've had every single iPhone and always from launch day, including the 5, but being so locked down has turned me off. I sold my 4S in May and got the One X and have been using it since. I'm now running CyanogenMod 10 (Jellybean) on it and have gotten so used to the convenience features on it that I can't deal with iOS anymore. I'm upset that iOS development has basically stagnated the last 2 versions. I don't care about Siri, the only thing I got use from it was dictating text messages.

Both OSes have their flaws and there is no one size fits all for anybody, and the lack of updates to some devices because of manufacturers ineptitude is definitely a huge problem. For someone like me who likes to tinker by rooting and flashing custom ROMs this is not a problem however (but again it's not for everyone). I bought a 5 on launch day and sold it 48 hours later because using it compared to Jellybean made me feel like I went back in time 4 years due to inconveniences in iOS. The new expanded notification system in Jellybean is nothing short of fantastic.

I can do almost anything I want just from my lockscreen. Being able to change my system settings from the notification bar, having custom lock screen shortcuts to different apps, having nearly unlimited shortcuts on the dock (and 5 or more at time including the app drawer), customizable widgets on my homescreen, free tethering, notification LED, and more are features that I have grown so used to they are second nature and I can no longer live without.

Now don't get me wrong, I still love the iPhone, the ecosystem, and my 3rd gen iPad (jailbroken on iOS 5 still) but the locked down nature of iOS is really keeping it from becoming what it has the potential to be. I simply can't wrap my mind around why they haven't opened up notification center to developers, so much wasted potential that it's almost insulting. When the iPhone 5 finally gets jailbroken I will give it another shot because I love the hardware (even though the screen is a step down from the HOX) and I'll at least be able to add some of the features I've become used to on this phone.

I want to be able to use MY phone how I see fit and unfortunately the iPhone, as of right now, does not let me.

LachlanH
Oct 5, 2012, 04:07 AM
Obviously. The vast majority of smartphone users utilize maybe 1% of their functionality. Those who actually have a reasonable understanding of computing always prefer Android to iOS.

Ha. I don't, but what's wrong with Linux?

I'd like to think I have a reasonable understanding of computing. I build my own, work daily with computers and manage Linux, Windows and OSX servers at work.

I do agree that more computer enthusiasts probably choose Android based phones but I can assure you there are as many clueless users on Android as there are on iOS. I see them daily.

onthecouchagain
Oct 5, 2012, 07:29 AM
Lot's of valid points made. For me it's the opposite. I've had every single iPhone and always from launch day, including the 5, but being so locked down has turned me off. I sold my 4S in May and got the One X and have been using it since. I'm now running CyanogenMod 10 (Jellybean) on it and have gotten so used to the convenience features on it that I can't deal with iOS anymore. I'm upset that iOS development has basically stagnated the last 2 versions. I don't care about Siri, the only thing I got use from it was dictating text messages.

Both OSes have their flaws and there is no one size fits all for anybody, and the lack of updates to some devices because of manufacturers ineptitude is definitely a huge problem. For someone like me who likes to tinker by rooting and flashing custom ROMs this is not a problem however (but again it's not for everyone). I bought a 5 on launch day and sold it 48 hours later because using it compared to Jellybean made me feel like I went back in time 4 years due to inconveniences in iOS. The new expanded notification system in Jellybean is nothing short of fantastic.

I can do almost anything I want just from my lockscreen. Being able to change my system settings from the notification bar, having custom lock screen shortcuts to different apps, having nearly unlimited shortcuts on the dock (and 5 or more at time including the app drawer), customizable widgets on my homescreen, free tethering, notification LED, and more are features that I have grown so used to they are second nature and I can no longer live without.

Now don't get me wrong, I still love the iPhone, the ecosystem, and my 3rd gen iPad (jailbroken on iOS 5 still) but the locked down nature of iOS is really keeping it from becoming what it has the potential to be. I simply can't wrap my mind around why they haven't opened up notification center to developers, so much wasted potential that it's almost insulting. When the iPhone 5 finally gets jailbroken I will give it another shot because I love the hardware (even though the screen is a step down from the HOX) and I'll at least be able to add some of the features I've become used to on this phone.

I want to be able to use MY phone how I see fit and unfortunately the iPhone, as of right now, does not let me.

So much truth. Especially the bolded parts.

----------

[off topic] I just want to to know why do we always see junk threads like this in the alternative section? It seems like it's perfectly fine for someone to post "why android sucks" topics but you'll never see a iphone sucks thread in the iphone forum. And if the thread was originally created in the wrong forum why move junk threads like this to alternative forum when 9 times out of 10 you know it's just going to invite trolls to pile on.

Bias moderation at its best.

VulchR
Oct 5, 2012, 08:14 AM
... Those who actually have a reasonable understanding of computing always prefer Android to iOS.

Engage in hyperbole much? :rolleyes:

I've been computing since the days of punch cards, have experience in programming in several languages and OS's, and use computers every day in my lab. I still prefer iOS for the moment because to me it seems more elegant (at an engineering level) than Android. I also don't like that Google does not view me as their customer, and that will apply no matter how fancy Android gets. I am not saying Android is bad, it's just not for me. Nor would I belittle another's choice of mobile OS, unlike some apparently....

This place is becoming an eyesore as we never see any informative android/other os threads anymore. All we see are stupid comparisons like GS3 vs iPhone 5/why I hate this etc. Like as if the GS3 is the frigging poster child of android. Just felt like ranting but the least the mods could do is move redundant threads like this to the dustbin forum just like they would do to threads that are border line trolling ios/iphone.

Carry on. :)

I feel the pain in this quote - it was exactly what many of us were feeling about Android posts in the iPhone forum. FWIW I do think there is some pro-iPhone trolling here. However, surprisingly on the few times I drop by, I find interesting tidbits here. Thus I think this sub-forum has been a really good idea and it has actually raised the level discussion somewhat.

Having said that, perhaps we need a 'Alternatives to Android and Samsung/Motorola/etc' forum. :D

bearda
Oct 5, 2012, 08:20 AM
$50 is cheaper than $100

8G is less than 16G.

The Nexus 7 starts with 8G and $50 gets you another 8G. The iPhone and iPad start at 16G and $100 gets you another 16G. Insane prices for flash in either case, but at least they're consistent.

Prototypical
Oct 5, 2012, 09:28 AM

Always is a strong word. I've built my own rigs, I've set up my own networks and home entertainment systems, I've owned an Android phone... And I assure you, I do not prefer it to iOS. Just because I CAN tinker and tweak and customize doesn't mean I WANT to. I need my devices to work and I don't have the time (or permission from my employer, who pays for my service) to root and customize.

I love this argument that only the incompetent and computer-illiterate choose iOS, and Android is the true choice for "smart people". Do you realize how ignorant that sounds? It reminds me of the fools who spout the "only poor people buy Androids" argument for iOS devices.

AlexJaye
Oct 6, 2012, 09:11 AM
The iPhone 4 uses the A4 processor while the iphone 4s uses the A5 processor. I can assure you that a different processor can make a difference between something being possible to something not being possible due to hardware limitations.

I know you don't understand that but I do because I'm a developer.

You can do at least 4 of the things he mentioned with an iPhone 4, either through the app store or jailbreaking and they work just fine. I have tried it. Continue the Apple worship.

Black Magic
Oct 6, 2012, 10:25 AM
One of the things that bothered me about Android is that its made by geeks and very unpolished. They are trying to work on polishing it now but it still has a long way to go. Perfect example: Texting.

How is texting a mess on Android you ask? There have been several phones that when you send text messages to other users, the recipients receive them out of order because time sync is off for some reason or another. Now this could be limited to a specific manufacturer, but it's still bush league.

Android is basically the Wal-Mart of phone OSes. You get what you pay for indeed.

djstile
Oct 6, 2012, 11:04 AM
For all of you saying, "Why don't you just get a Nexus phone" I have to chime in.

Number 1: The point of this post is of fragmentation amongst the multitude of android devices, so saying this is not actually responding to the OP's concerns.

Number 2: I once tried the Galaxy Nexus for 13 days (Verizon's return period) and returned the phone. Why? Because mainly I had no signal almost anywhere. I called VZW support they sent me another phone. Tried that one, no signal. Where I live VZW has VERY strong signal and my family and friends all had a strong signal whereas I literally had none. I called VZW support back and after being "escalated" to several levels of tech support the guy literally told me, "yeah that phone has terrible reception, I'd advise you to return it." I only wanted a Galaxy Nexus because I knew it would get updates first, but obviously cannot keep a phone that cannot make calls.

Of course I can only speak to what happened to me personally as fact, but a quick Google search of "Galaxy Nexus" "Reception Issues" informs me that I am not alone. Since then I went back to iPhone, tried a GSSIII but eventually returned to iPhone again and haven't looked back.

Black Magic
Oct 6, 2012, 11:14 AM
For all of you saying, "Why don't you just get a Nexus phone" I have to chime in.

Number 1: The point of this post is of fragmentation amongst the multitude of android devices, so saying this is not actually responding to the OP's concerns.

Number 2: I once tried the Galaxy Nexus for 13 days (Verizon's return period) and returned the phone. Why? Because mainly I had no signal almost anywhere. I called VZW support they sent me another phone. Tried that one, no signal. Where I live VZW has VERY strong signal and my family and friends all had a strong signal whereas I literally had none. I called VZW support back and after being "escalated" to several levels of tech support the guy literally told me, "yeah that phone has terrible reception, I'd advise you to return it." I only wanted a Galaxy Nexus because I knew it would get updates first, but obviously cannot keep a phone that cannot make calls.

Of course I can only speak to what happened to me personally as fact, but a quick Google search of "Galaxy Nexus" "Reception Issues" informs me that I am not alone. Since then I went back to iPhone, tried a GSSIII but eventually returned to iPhone again and haven't looked back.

Why did you go back to the iPhone after trying the GS3?

Vegastouch
Oct 6, 2012, 11:37 AM
One of the things that bothered me about Android is that its made by geeks and very unpolished. They are trying to work on polishing it now but it still has a long way to go. Perfect example: Texting.

How is texting a mess on Android you ask? There have been several phones that when you send text messages to other users, the recipients receive them out of order because time sync is off for some reason or another. Now this could be limited to a specific manufacturer, but it's still bush league.

Android is basically the Wal-Mart of phone OSes. You get what you pay for indeed.

In the 2.5 years i have used an Android, i have only had two of them. The Galaxy S Vibrant and now the GS3. I dont know what you mean by "recipients recieve them out of order". You mean when you send a group text? Because other than that(and ive had no issues with that either) all the texts i have sent have went right to my intended target and ive never had a complaint from anybody not getting something.

I use Handcent and you can configure sent confirmation and a lot of other things with it.

Black Magic
Oct 6, 2012, 12:16 PM
In the 2.5 years i have used an Android, i have only had two of them. The Galaxy S Vibrant and now the GS3. I dont know what you mean by "recipients recieve them out of order". You mean when you send a group text? Because other than that(and ive had no issues with that either) all the texts i have sent have went right to my intended target and ive never had a complaint from anybody not getting something.

I use Handcent and you can configure sent confirmation and a lot of other things with it.

If you send a long message that is broken up in parts, you will receive them out of order many times. Like part 3 first, then 2 minutes later part 1, and 5 minutes later part 2. Or if you send a couple texts real fast like answering multiple questions, the recipient will get them late and out of order.

Here is an Android forum with people complaining about it as well:

http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-support-troubleshooting/266956-text-messages-out-order.html

I see it often because my wife has Android. Can't wait to move her to iPhone.

daveathall
Oct 6, 2012, 12:42 PM
If you send a long message that is broken up in parts, you will receive them out of order many times. Like part 3 first, then 2 minutes later part 1, and 5 minutes later part 2. Or if you send a couple texts real fast like answering multiple questions, the recipient will get them late and out of order.

Here is and Android forum with people complaining about it as well:

http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-support-troubleshooting/266956-text-messages-out-order.html

I have never experienced this, but even so, you link a 20 month old thread from Jan 2011 with only 3 replies?

Vegastouch
Oct 6, 2012, 12:43 PM

Here is and Android forum with people complaining about it as well:

Oh, if you use Handcent , you can disable the broken up texts and it will send it as a whole. Thats why i didnt get it, i dont use the native text app.

Black Magic
Oct 6, 2012, 01:35 PM
I have never experienced this, but even so, you link a 20 month old thread from Jan 2011 with only 3 replies?

Yea, I did a quick search and just grab a random link to add validity to my post. You can do a search as well and you will see there are others. VegasTouch is correct that third party apps resolve the issue as others have reported it as well.

daveathall
Oct 6, 2012, 02:36 PM
Yea, I did a quick search and just grab a random link to add validity to my post. You can do a search as well and you will see there are others. VegasTouch is correct that third party apps resolve the issue as others have reported it as well.

Fair point, tis still a nearly two year old thread though, a more recent thread would have validated your discussion point further. I have no need to do a search as I have not had that problem.

TheRealPorkchop
Oct 6, 2012, 06:06 PM

Ain't that the truth...

Say it ain't so... you know Apple wouldn't do such.

Bottom line... and I own several iPhones now, you basically BUY an Android powered phone and it becomes yours. If you buy an iPhone, you're really just kinda borrowing it from your older sibling cause you can't change anything about it and have the sibling (Apple) approve of it. And now with iOS 6, the sibling has remote control of it and can do it like they want to.

I'm thinking of going to the S3 too. I pay all that money for a phone, I want to be the one in control and it actually be my phone. I was told one time "Apple doesn't update their OS like Windows does", uh... BS. And far as the OS on the iDevices go... iOS6, do I need to say more? You get bugs and problems with either one, iOS or Android. And far as resale, yea the iPhone will always have a higher resale value especially if you can find some idiot that doesn't know any better... you can really rip them a new one.

onthecouchagain
Oct 6, 2012, 09:06 PM
you basically BUY an Android powered phone and it becomes yours.

I agree entirely. This novelty is so understated. There is so much to customize and tweak and do with Android that once you're through all of it, it truly feels like it's your phone, unique to you not just aesthetically, but unique to how you use the phone too. Your specific calendars, widgets, toggles, lock screens, etc.

Freedom is a wonderful feeling. :)

TheRealPorkchop
Oct 6, 2012, 10:27 PM
Well I'm not exactly knocking Apple, like I said I own a few iPhones now, a Mac, iPod and a few other Apple goodies. I love how my iPhone just syncs right with iTunes (still hate iTunes but it's growing on me), plays so well with my Mac, my PowerBook (yea I'm little behind the times with my laptop). But...

It is kinda like that, you basically rent the iPhone cause you can't do anything to it unless you JB it and personally I hate Winterboard cause 2/3 of the themes don't ever fully work, paid or free. And I understand Apple's view on it, to keep it simple and keep it "working" it needs to remain as it was intended, designed and built. I get that... But it wouldn't kill them to let you theme the phone with Apple approved themes... or change some icons around or some colors...

Take the 4Chan app for example... you won't put that on your phone unless it's JB cause for some reason Apple won't allow it on the app store. Apple is the ruling super power of the iPhone and unless you jump ship with your iDevice in a plastic bag held by your teeth... they have the "end" control of YOUR experience.

dmelgar
Oct 6, 2012, 11:14 PM
Remembered another issue in my very buggy unfixed HTC thunderbolt.
The proximity sensor was never properly calibrated. This is a software issue that HTC nor Verizon ever cared to address. Essentially, it enables the screen too soon so that your face touches the screen and hangs up or calls someone else. Makes the phone hard to use as a phone. I tended to keep the phone away from me so it hasn't bothered me much, until I saw my mother try and use it and it was constantly hanging up.
Typical of android. Come out with a bunch of features and don't try to make it work well.

Voice recognition was very good for voice input, but for giving commands it was again buggy, hard to use and generally useless. I have found Siri an amazing and refreshing killer feature on the iPhone. I love asking Siri to navigate me to places. Getting much better at hands free.

dmelgar
Oct 6, 2012, 11:27 PM
I'm thinking of going to the S3 too. I pay all that money for a phone, I want to be the one in control and it actually be my phone.

That's what I had originally thought as well when I bought my android phones. But it turned out the opposite.

Instead of getting more control over my phone I had less. The carrier and maker both abandoned the phones soon after launch. There was no useful update. Stuck with tons of bloat ware.

ROMs to fix the issues were not available or were hard to decipher among the large number if similar ones. It was a nightmare to sort through with no easy fix and no one caring, certainly not HTC nor google nor Verizon.

ROMs require rooting. You get many similar benefits from jail breaking. But for most users, it's not worth the trouble in either case.

It was false freedom. About as much freedom as I have to fix my DVD players software.

Google had a big press event over a year ago promising updates to phones for 2 years. Yet that hasn't happened. Instead more announcements that phones will not be updated. Motorola (google itself) just renaged on a phones update. HTC promised ICS for the thunderbolt would be available in August. That was apparently untrue since it still is not available and likely will never be after almost a year since ICS release.

Why would anyone believe that the current android phones will get fixes and updates after replacement models are available. History says they likely will not be updated.

Vetvito
Oct 6, 2012, 11:50 PM
Get a real Android phone, Nexus. Everything else is just Android based.

I'm torn between the two. I'm getting the next Nexus and keeping my iPhone. Swap sims daily!

blackhand1001
Oct 6, 2012, 11:57 PM
Get a real Android phone, Nexus. Everything else is just Android based.

I'm torn between the two. I'm getting the next Nexus and keeping my iPhone. Swap sims daily!

The next nexus will be amazing. The galaxy nexus already runs so good even a year later. Heck even the nexus s performs great on jellybean. Can't wait for the new one to come out with the new cortex a15 chips.

Zman5225
Oct 7, 2012, 12:33 AM
The next nexus will be amazing. The galaxy nexus already runs so good even a year later. Heck even the nexus s performs great on jellybean. Can't wait for the new one to come out with the new cortex a15 chips.

I want the next Nexus also but I refuse to buy LG products and that is looking like the next manufacturer of the Nexus, boo!

Swannyy
Oct 7, 2012, 02:24 AM
That's what I had originally thought as well when I bought my android phones. But it turned out the opposite.

Instead of getting more control over my phone I had less. The carrier and maker both abandoned the phones soon after launch. There was no useful update. Stuck with tons of bloat ware.

To me it just sounds like you didn't know how to use the android phones correctly. Ive been there before. I used a Droid X stock for awhile and that sucked. I just purchased a Nexus last week, easily learned how to and installed a custom rom and kernel. No bloatware, no relying on anyone to release updates or software. Everything about my phone is now on my terms.

Dave.UK
Oct 7, 2012, 04:41 AM

ROMs to fix the issues were not available or were hard to decipher among the large number if similar ones. It was a nightmare to sort through with no easy fix and no one caring, certainly not HTC nor google nor Verizon.

ROMs require rooting. You get many similar benefits from jail breaking. But for most users, it's not worth the trouble in either case.

It was false freedom. About as much freedom as I have to fix my DVD players software.

Google had a big press event over a year ago promising updates to phones for 2 years. Yet that hasn't happened. Instead more announcements that phones will not be updated. Motorola (google itself) just renaged on a phones update. HTC promised ICS for the thunderbolt would be available in August. That was apparently untrue since it still is not available and likely will never be after almost a year since ICS release.

Why would anyone believe that the current android phones will get fixes and updates after replacement models are available. History says they likely will not be updated.

I never really understand this. Did the phone do everything you wanted it to do at purchase? If so, whats the problem? Yes updates are nice, but you make it sound like the phone was truly awful when you bought it and only an update would fix it that never arrived.

Ive got the GS3 and I know at some point this month it will get jelly bean, however if that never happened and it stayed with ICS, I wouldnt complain as the phone runs and works exactly how I wanted it too when I bought it.

madden
Oct 7, 2012, 05:21 AM
I want the next Nexus also but I refuse to buy LG products and that is looking like the next manufacturer of the Nexus, boo!

This. Plus, the Note 2 has a ton of features you will never see on a Nexus. Should be the other way around if you are the top dog. Note 2 has it beat already unless the new Nexus has some new mind blowing features no one has seen yet. Doubtful.

zbarvian
Oct 7, 2012, 09:03 AM
I think the reason I won't go to Android in the near future is because I am very concerned with design, and Android is not. Polish and UX wise, iOS and Android just aren't in the same league.

Whenever I use an Android phone, I just can't help but to feel how undercooked it is. It feels like they've just tried to tack so much on without ensuring that everything works ideally.

And nobody can match Apple's phone-making chops. The iPhone 5 is a marvel.

paulsalter
Oct 7, 2012, 09:10 AM
I think the reason I won't go to Android in the near future is because I am very concerned with design, and Android is not. Polish and UX wise, iOS and Android just aren't in the same league.

Whenever I use an Android phone, I just can't help but to feel how undercooked it is. It feels like they've just tried to tack so much on without ensuring that everything works ideally.

Any specific examples?

daveathall
Oct 7, 2012, 10:01 AM

Really? besides the maps and the scuff problems that have been reported you have started these threads;

I can't tell if my iPhone 5 is dying faster than it should or if I am just using it far more. I am sort of thinking the former, but I'd like to see how others are faring.

It's odd, some periods it drains fast and than others it drains slow.
So my iPhone 5 screen is sporadically acting goofy. It'll randomly go into periods of unresponsiveness, where it has difficulty smoothly tracking my finger and swipes, and won't react to flicks. I reset the phone to no avail, but resetting the settings fixed the problem. However, it just happened again.

It seems as though it's losing calibration. It's quite annoying, and I have no idea how to prevent it from happening. Suggestions?
Okay, so I was just wondering why my iPhone 5 is getting worse signal in some areas than before. I know Apple supposedly redesigned the antenna for the 4S, and there weren't many issues with that phone, but this phone seems more sensitive than my 4. If I hold the phone in a totally normal grip I am consistently losing 2-3 bars.

Try holding the phone with one hand like you normally do, wait for about 25 seconds (often it'll drop well before then) and then see any change in bars. Then let go and put it on any surface, the bars come back almost immediately.

I can't find a way to hold this phone so that I don't lose at least 1 bar.

And answered this;

I've used a ton of data already too, and it seems wrong because I've been on Wi-Fi for the majority of the time.

You still call the iPhone quote "marvel"?

You still think this about Android?

It feels like they've just tried to tack so much on without ensuring that everything works ideally.

matttye
Oct 7, 2012, 10:04 AM
Any specific examples?

S Voice. Slow, doesn't work when the screen is locked (rendering it useless for drivers) and the voice recognition isn't great. Seems like it was a "me too" feature rather than something Samsung actually thought hard about.

Oletros
Oct 7, 2012, 10:09 AM
S Voice. Slow, doesn't work when the screen is locked (rendering it useless for drivers) and the voice recognition isn't great. Seems like it was a "me too" feature rather than something Samsung actually thought hard about.

S Voice is not part of Android

matttye
Oct 7, 2012, 10:11 AM
S Voice is not part of Android

My apologies, thought I was still posting in an S3 thread :p

blackhand1001
Oct 7, 2012, 10:11 AM

Samsung is coming out with a refreshed gnex as well.

paulsalter
Oct 7, 2012, 10:12 AM

I am sure I have read about issues with Siri also, so this is not unique to Android devices

How does Androids voice recognition work, not Samsung's added bloat

matttye
Oct 7, 2012, 10:19 AM
I am sure I have read about issues with Siri also, so this is not unique to Android devices

How does Androids voice recognition work, not Samsung's added bloat

Siri is in a completely different league to S Voice.

Google Voice Search is really, really good. There are advantages to GVS over Siri and vice versa. To name a few: -

- Siri supports geolocation reminders.
- Siri can launch apps (this will be coming to GVS in the future apparently).
- Siri understands relationships ("John Smith is my dad" followed by "Call my dad" -> calls "John Smith")

- GVS is faster.
- GVS reads out results to you if they are part of Google's "knowledge graph." If not, then it will just do a search for the results like Siri does.
- GVS shows images from image searches directly in the app.

There might be other advantages to each one. I'm just mentioning the ones I can think of that I've noticed in day-to-day use of each.

dmelgar
Oct 7, 2012, 10:21 AM
I never really understand this. Did the phone do everything you wanted it to do at purchase? If so, whats the problem? Yes updates are nice, but you make it sound like the phone was truly awful when you bought it and only an update would fix it that never arrived.

Ive got the GS3 and I know at some point this month it will get jelly bean, however if that never happened and it stayed with ICS, I wouldnt complain as the phone runs and works exactly how I wanted it too when I bought it.

Good point.
I thought the phones did a lot when I bought them. Many android phones include a ton of features.

You just assume that the features will work. When a bug shows up, as a developer I naturally assume it will eventually be fixed. Instead, they don't fix it. The last update broke lte. There's no responsibility, no interest in fixing the update. I can't believe Verizon's response is to buy a new phone because its out of warranty. So much for their supposed testing. Without LTE the phone is practically useless. Even 3G is having issues.

It was so bad I had to go back and use my old Incredible. Oh yea. But I forgot. It's limited to 300mb of apps for some insane reason. How was I supposed to know about that time bomb limitation when I bought that phone?

Many of the other features that sounded neat originally just end up not that useful.

This is a big contrast to my new iPhone 5. I'm liking it more over time. Surprised that its better than I thought. Maybe it's expectations. Maybe I'm too jaded coming from my android phones from the last 3 years. Siri is much better than I thought. I'm really liking the new maps with turn by turn navigation. The Siri integration with maps is awesome. Doesn't work all the time, but when it does its a killer app.

Camera is another one. I'm sure they're better now, but the hd video on the thunderbolt was absolute junk. Stuttery. Very choppy handling change in brightness. Ended up so bad I never used it.

paulsalter
Oct 7, 2012, 10:22 AM
Siri is in a completely different league to S Voice.

Thanks or the other info, dont like voice recognition so dont use it (but should really try out Google Now)

for the above, i have no doubt this is correct, Siri is a built in feature like Google Now is on Android

S Voice is like a 3rd party add on made my Samsung

Oletros
Oct 7, 2012, 10:24 AM
My apologies, thought I was still posting in an S3 thread :p

The thread title is: Why I will never go Android again

And you were talking about Android UX and OS.

zbarvian
Oct 7, 2012, 10:25 AM
Really? besides the maps and the scuff problems that have been reported you have started these threads;

And answered this;

Those were minor software bugs, I'm talking hardware.

matttye
Oct 7, 2012, 10:26 AM
The thread title is: Why I will never go Android again

And you were talking about Android UX and OS.

I got that with your other post, thanks.

daveathall
Oct 7, 2012, 10:27 AM
Those were minor software bugs, I'm talking hardware.

Nope, you were talking about Android in relation to iOS.

Here, look;

matttye
Oct 7, 2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks or the other info, dont like voice recognition so dont use it (but should really try out Google Now)

for the above, i have no doubt this is correct, Siri is a built in feature like Google Now is on Android

S Voice is like a 3rd party add on made my Samsung

The thing I found annoying about Google is that it keeps releasing services in the US long before they're available anywhere else.

Google Play Music and Magazines.
Google Wallet.

I have very few complaints about Android, just found the iOS ecosystem too tempting after ~three years on Android.

daveathall
Oct 7, 2012, 10:33 AM
The thing I found annoying about Google is that it keeps releasing services in the US long before they're available anywhere else.

Google Wallet.

I must admit that I too find that frustrating.

zbarvian
Oct 7, 2012, 11:12 AM
Nope, you were talking about Android in relation to iOS.

Here, look;

Yes, and my statement still stands. Android looks like a cheap Tron UI, and that's the best it can look. Other skins are even worse.

I just feel like Android requires you to customize in order for it to be manageable and work the way you want it.

mainca
Oct 7, 2012, 11:44 AM
I forgot to add this to my post, thanks, I think this is so relevant that I edited and linked this to my post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15976162#post15976162). I'll warn you, it's looooong

Vetvito
Oct 7, 2012, 11:55 AM
People seem to forget that Google Now is way more than just voice software. It's a anticipation service as well. Siri can't do what you don't ask.

matttye
Oct 7, 2012, 11:55 AM
Yes, and my statement still stands. Android looks like a cheap Tron UI, and that's the best it can look. Other skins are even worse.

I just feel like Android requires you to customize in order for it to be manageable and work the way you want it.

Disagree wholeheartedly.

The ICS/JB UIs look nice and uniform. A vast improvement over the old ones.

paulsalter
Oct 7, 2012, 12:04 PM

Google Wallet.

I have very few complaints about Android, just found the iOS ecosystem too tempting after ~three years on Android.

fully agree about their services, be nice if they could just issue an approx date of when they expect these services to be released

I do like the iOS eco system and would have no problems going back, I just found at the time i got my first android, google seemed to offer better when using multiple platforms/mobile os's (mainly calendar/contact sync)

Vegastouch
Oct 7, 2012, 12:34 PM

I dont think you can call anything a marvel that has a messed up Maps system and a problem with the camera giving off a purple hue in any kind of light and the problem with it scrathing so easily,...even right out of the box You seem pretty sucked in to Apple though so i guess those things dont bother you.
Funny you talk about Android not being fully baked but a iOS system that isnt fully baked is just fine :rolleyes:

r.j.s
Oct 7, 2012, 12:38 PM
People seem to forget that Google Now is way more than just voice software. It's a anticipation service as well. Siri can't do what you don't ask.

This is so true. GN can actually be scary - I had an appointment on my calendar a while ago and GN notified me when I had to leave (accounting for traffic) and gave me a map to get there. I didn't ask for any of it, it just got that from having a calendar event.

Vegastouch
Oct 7, 2012, 12:39 PM

And answered this;

LOL, dude is like an electronics hypochondriac

daveathall
Oct 7, 2012, 12:42 PM
LOL, dude is like an electronics hypochondriac

Now that made me laugh, thank you.:)

I could have saved a whole load of copy and paste if I had put it that way.

zbarvian
Oct 7, 2012, 12:43 PM
I dint think you can call anything a marvel that has a messed up Maps system and a problem with the camera giving off a purple hue in any kind of light and the problem with it scrathing so easily,...even right out of the box You seem pretty sucked in to Apple though so i guess those things dont bother you.
Funny you talk about Android not being fully baked but a iOS system that isnt fully baked is just fine :rolleyes:

iOS has always felt fully baked. Android just doesn't feel nearly as done. You can disagree, it's just something I've always felt. I can't stand the app scene, and Google just pushes so many half-assed services and products. They start projects and then scrap them.

By the way, I've never seen the purple hue or have scratched my phone. Nobody else could have built this phone, and I think others need to realize that.

r.j.s
Oct 7, 2012, 12:45 PM
They start projects and then scrap them.

Like what? I don't really know of any Google projects that have been scrapped - other than a few Labs items that were never well known anyway.

paulsalter
Oct 7, 2012, 12:47 PM
This is so true. GN can actually be scary - I had an appointment on my calendar a while ago and GN notified me when I had to leave (accounting for traffic) and gave me a map to get there. I didn't ask for any of it, it just got that from having a calendar event.

This surprised me when I first saw it happen, but I was impressed

matttye
Oct 7, 2012, 12:56 PM

Google Now really is amazing, but I'm so organised and anal about things, it will take a long time before I trust my phone to tell me when I need to leave :p

Vegastouch
Oct 7, 2012, 01:05 PM
iOS has always felt fully baked. Android just doesn't feel nearly as done. You can disagree, it's just something I've always felt. I can't stand the app scene, and Google just pushes so many half-assed services and products. They start projects and then scrap them.

By the way, I've never seen the purple hue or have scratched my phone. Nobody else could have built this phone, and I think others need to realize that.

Thats my point. It isnt fully baked and your fine with it while calling another not fully baked. One might even say your statement is hypocritical.

Here is the camera problem
with accompaning article (http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-5-purple-haze-issue-2012-10)

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/507199c46bb3f7f40600000a-600-375/purple-haze-iphone-5-issue.jpeg?maxX=400&maxY=300

zbarvian
Oct 7, 2012, 01:14 PM
Thats my point. It isnt fully baked and your fine with it while calling another not fully baked. One might even say your statement is hypocritical.

with accompaning article (http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-5-purple-haze-issue-2012-10)

Image (http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/507199c46bb3f7f40600000a-600-375/purple-haze-iphone-5-issue.jpeg?maxX=400&maxY=300)

I don't know if you misread, but my perception is that iOS is fully baked, Android doesn't feel that way. There's just so many tiny bugs in Android, like everything just works like 92% of the time.

Oletros
Oct 7, 2012, 01:19 PM
There's just so many tiny bugs in Android, like everything just works like 92% of the time.

Any example of those so many bugs?

Vetvito
Oct 7, 2012, 01:24 PM
My first time actually using the iPhone as a daily driver and I'm not impressed at all. Where are all these apps people keep talking about? I got a couple, but nothing exciting or different than Android.

I'm still on 5.1.1 jb. I've never seen so many people NOT want a upgrade.

blackhand1001
Oct 7, 2012, 01:26 PM

I guess you forgot about when iOS didn't even have apps, copy and paste, pictures messaging, multitasking, and wallpapers.

In fact ICS/JB has a consistant look that actually looks good. I actually hate the way ios looks. Those pinstripes everywhere and the baby blue UX elements. It looks so ugly.

zbarvian
Oct 7, 2012, 01:32 PM
I guess you forgot about when iOS didn't even have apps, copy and paste, pictures messaging, multitasking, and wallpapers.

In fact ICS/JB has a consistant look that actually looks good. I actually hate the way ios looks. Those pinstripes everywhere and the baby blue UX elements. It looks so ugly.

Remember when Android didn't even have multitouch or a touch keyboard? Don't even get started on that route, bud.

And consistent? Go look through the Play Store. iOS undoubtedly has better designers/developers, IMO.

blackhand1001
Oct 7, 2012, 01:34 PM
Remember when Android didn't even have multitouch? Don't even get started on that route, bud.

And consistent? Go look through the Play Store. iOS undoubtedly has better designers/developers, IMO.

Android got multitouch back in like 2008. Thats a dumb point. It was designed for it since the beginning. Apple just bullied them into not enabling it at first.

djstile
Oct 7, 2012, 01:38 PM
Why did you go back to the iPhone after trying the GS3?

Number one, the phone is GIGANTIC which to some is obviously one of the selling factors and was for me before I bought it. After I got the SGS3 I realized how often I was using my iPhone with one hand and how difficult it was to do the same with the SGS3 (and for the record I have fairly large or at least normal sized hands). Additionally, since the screen was so large, I found many apps looked "blown up" and with bad resolution as they were clearly not made for the SGS3's larger screen. Finally, I found myself basically trying to make my SGS3 look and act like my jailbroken iPhone 4S and not quite getting there. I could not get a perfect LockInfo replacement or a good bitesms replacement (obviously IMO). One especially weird thing is I was unable to get group texting to work as well as it does on my iPhone.

daveathall
Oct 7, 2012, 01:42 PM
Number one, the phone is GIGANTIC which to some is obviously one of the selling factors and was for me before I bought it.

I must admit that at first I thought the S3 was gigantic also, however, after a couple of hours I sort of thought that it was about the right size. I took some photos of the difference in size, the iPhone 5 is on top of the S3, TBH, there isn't much in it, certainly a lot less than most claim.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/DSC00148.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/DSC00150.jpg

onthecouchagain
Oct 7, 2012, 01:50 PM
The thinness of the S3 also makes it surprisingly easy to reach across the screen. At times I even thought it was slightly easier than my Galaxy Nexus, which is fat comparatively.

MadeTheSwitch
Oct 7, 2012, 01:52 PM
iOS has always felt fully baked.

Really? Before Siri, it didn't have voice commands. I couldn't write a text message with it. One of the reasons I went with Android in the first place. Then there was the notifications. Now they have copied Android and made them nice. But if Android had never been around, you'd probably still be dealing with pop up notifications only.

Android just doesn't feel nearly as done.

In the earlier versions I would agree, but the OS feels pretty mature now. I like that they go in and revise the look and feel once in awhile. To me, an iPhone's home screen has always looked child-like. Like a "my first phone" from Fisher Price. I wish they would make it more sophisticated and not so cartoony. I think they could do better here.

You can disagree, it's just something I've always felt. I can't stand the app scene, and Google just pushes so many half-assed services and products. They start projects and then scrap them.

Oh..you mean things like Like Mobile Me and Ping? :p

Markyboy81
Oct 7, 2012, 02:16 PM
Oh..you mean things like Like Mobile Me and Ping? :p

And maps...

zbarvian
Oct 7, 2012, 02:26 PM
Android got multitouch back in like 2008. Thats a dumb point. It was designed for it since the beginning. Apple just bullied them into not enabling it at first.

Android didn't get official multitouch until 2.1. Android was originally designed for a blackberry form factor with no touch screen.

thejadedmonkey
Oct 7, 2012, 02:39 PM
Android didn't get official multitouch until 2.1. Android was originally designed for a blackberry form factor with no touch screen.

Yeah, but any programmer worth half their salary can switch up a UI without much effort. Look at Sony/Samsung/HTC/Motorola with their own UI's. The real genius of Android is its underpinnings.

Heck, look at Windows Phone. It looks completely different from Windows Mobile, but the OS kernel is the same between Windows Phone 7 and Windows Mobile 6.

If I recall correctly, the Linux kernel is a monolithic kernel while iOS uses a hybrid kernel. If you really want to talk about differences, that's a huge one as it supports everything else that the OS does.

tbayrgs
Oct 7, 2012, 02:44 PM
Remember when Android didn't even have multitouch or a touch keyboard? Don't even get started on that route, bud.

You need to learn to when you look foolish that it's probably best to stop talking.

Image (http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/507199c46bb3f7f40600000a-600-375/purple-haze-iphone-5-issue.jpeg?maxX=400&maxY=300)

We all know how you like to pile on iOS so this post doesn't surprise me but it's complete nonsense and you know it. This is a well documented problem with all sorts of cameras, not unique to the iPhone. Funny how you didn't post a link to this article (http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/09/26/the-iphone-5s-camera-suffering-purple-haze-flaw-not-fast/) which actually provides a small amount of useful info but then, that wouldn't have served your purpose would it.

But go ahead and keep on hating if it makes you feel better.

Vegastouch
Oct 7, 2012, 02:58 PM

You know, im starting to think you are clouded by just being a fan of Apple than being open minded because the Apple app store imo isnt any better than the Android play store. It just isnt. Thats just a BS statement as many of the same developers also have their apps in the play store.
Apple has those 400,000 apps that have never been downloaded though. Its always nice to have those in there.

----------

You need to learn to when you look foolish that it's probably best to stop talking.

We all know how you like to pile on iOS so this post doesn't surprise me but it's complete nonsense and you know it. This is a well documented problem with all sorts of cameras, not unique to the iPhone. Funny how you didn't post a link to this article (http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/09/26/the-iphone-5s-camera-suffering-purple-haze-flaw-not-fast/) which actually provides a small amount of useful info but then, that wouldn't have served your purpose would it.

But go ahead and keep on hating if it makes you feel better.

Pile on? Bro i have said many good things about iOS and the iPhone. I have Apple products. Im not a hater but i will point out BS when i see it and him saying iPhone is fully baked and is better than the half baked... blah, blah blah as if the iPhone has no problems when it has huge issues with Maps and that camera problem...in which those are two very big features of the phone....ill call a hypocrite a hypocrite.

As for that article you posted, ..obviously i never saw it so how could i post it? :rolleyes:

Guys like zbarvian who cant acknowledge those things are just ....well, there is a word for guys like him. Starts with a F and ends in Y. No system is perfect so man up and admit it.

Oletros
Oct 7, 2012, 03:36 PM

Please, this debunked history another time?

Android was developed hardware agnostic and it had non touch (and they weere WM like, not Blackberry like) and only touch prototypes

tbayrgs
Oct 7, 2012, 03:41 PM
You know, im starting to think you are clouded by just being a fan of Apple than being open minded because the Apple app store imo isnt any better than the Android play store. It just isnt. Thats just a BS statement as many of the same developers also have their apps in the play store.
Apple has those 400,000 apps that have never been downloaded though. Its always nice to have those in there.

----------

Pile on? Bro i have said many good things about iOS and the iPhone. I have Apple products. Im not a hater but i will point out BS when i see it and him saying iPhone is fully baked and is better than the half baked... blah, blah blah as if the iPhone has no problems when it has huge issues with Maps and that camera problem...in which those are two very big features of the phone....ill call a hypocrite a hypocrite.

As for that article you posted, ..obviously i never saw it so how could i post it? :rolleyes:

Guys like zbarvian who cant acknowledge those things are just ....well, there is a word for guys like him. Starts with a F and ends in Y. No system is perfect so man up and admit it.

Didn't see it? Fine, if you say so (even though it's on the Macrumors front page ;)).

And I completely agree about zbarvian--blind fanboys of all varieties, Apple, Android, whatever, drive me nuts. Just don't stoop to his level and stick with relevant facts and info. ;)

Vegastouch
Oct 7, 2012, 03:50 PM
Didn't see it? Fine, if you say so (even though it's on the Macrumors front page ;)).

And I completely agree about zbarvian--blind fanboys of all varieties, Apple, Android, whatever, drive me nuts. Just don't stoop to his level and stick with relevant facts and info. ;)

I dont go to Macrumors front page and you shouldnt assume i do. The article i posted i got from the Pulse app. I use that and Flipboard.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 7, 2012, 07:09 PM

Why am I still on 2.2?.

I am just going to point out the HTC Desire can not run ICS due to the lack of an internal SD card. In theory it could be done but it runs a huge risk of bricking your phone upgrading to it.

Also HTC Desire as the same amount of ram as the HTC One V (512)

Now I would say you have a very valid case for it not being updated to Gingerbread and I agree HTC argument for why they did not do it is weak at best but as I said before the Desire can not run ICS at all.

Also you are getting caught into the Mhz myth. The HTC One V CPU is faster . The Snapdragon chip in the desire was middle of the road when the phone came out.

madden
Oct 7, 2012, 07:30 PM
iOS has always felt fully baked.

Really? Like when iOS was first released and it didn't support 3G, it didn't support multitasking, it didn't support 3rd party apps, you couldn't copy or paste text, you couldn't attach arbitrary files to emails, it didn't support MMS, it didn't support Exchange push email, it didn't have a customizable home screen, it didn't support tethering, it hid the filesystem from users, it didn't support editing Office documents, it didn't support voice dialing.

There were dumb phones that could do many of these things back then. The simple fact is that with each update, iOS is STILL playing catch up and adding features Android phones have had for years. iOS isnt even fully baked now.

1member1
Oct 8, 2012, 05:23 PM
I couldn't agree more. I had couple of friends moving to android.
since day 1 they became a PC technician. they were so obsesive with ROMS and all the customization and they spent all day long on switching them.

Like 5 month after they still do it.

There are couple of nice things in android i wish I had in iOS 6 but I wouldnt even try it until android won't be half baked product.

There are more reasons for me for this was one of the biggest.

Dave.UK
Oct 8, 2012, 06:00 PM
since day 1 they became a PC technician. they were so obsesive with ROMS and all the customization and they spent all day long on switching them.

There are couple of nice things in android i wish I had in iOS 6 but I wouldnt even try it until android won't be half baked product.

You wont try Android because two of your friends enjoy customising their phones? Thats got to be one of the wosrt excuses ive ever heard!

You do realise that you DONT have to root/install roms with Android? Just like you dont have to jailbreak ios!

I love all this talk of "half baked" - Please enlighten me as to what you believe is half baked about Android?

SlCKB0Y
Oct 8, 2012, 06:19 PM

Why am I still on 2.2?

The HTC desire hasn't got the latest versions of Android running on it because of the small ROM size, not RAM.

If you really cared about updating that much you would have just done it yourself. A guy at my work is running a Jelly Bean rom with zero issues... it works fine.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=628

Personally, I'll only buy Nexus devices.

Oletros
Oct 9, 2012, 01:43 AM

What is half backed?

daveathall
Oct 9, 2012, 02:57 AM

This is one of the things that IMHO are misrepresented. From the box one needs to do nothing but normal set up of e mails etc, the same as an iPhone. If one wants to use it without any tinkering thats fine, it works that way, but it also gives the option (if one wants) to have a tinker, Im not talking about flashing or ROM either. One can change the launcher, the icons, apply widgets, change the e mail or messaging app or whatever, but it doesn't need to be done, one has that choice. I am not technically gifted or very computer literate, but really enjoy the way I can customise my phone, but that doesn't mean that I am constantly at it.

paulsalter
Oct 9, 2012, 03:22 AM
I don't understand why people keep saying the option to put a custom rom on android is a bad thing

It's like me saying that I dont like iOS because jailbreaking sounds too complicated

Android works out the box, custom rom/rooting if you want to do it
iOS works out the box, jailbreak if you want

daveathall
Oct 9, 2012, 03:39 AM
I don't understand why people keep saying the option to put a custom rom on android is a bad thing

It's like me saying that I dont like iOS because jailbreaking sounds too complicated

I agree, although I have not done so on mine, the option (as is Jalbreaking on an iPhone) is there. I possibly never made that clear on my post just above yours.:)

Woodcrest64
Oct 9, 2012, 01:50 PM
I do love my Samsung S2 LTE and I'm comfortable installing roms. I have Jelly Bean already on it and I can see my self using this for another 2 years. You are correct though in that the fragmentation does cause problems with getting the latest updates. iOS updates are incredibly easy to do and quite frequent compared to Android. You also get them as soon as Apple releases them.

I'm not sure if I will go back to the iPhone after I'm tired with my S2 LTE or not. My only complaint with my S2 LTE is I have to use double twist to sync my music and if I want to buy a song here in Canada via iTunes I have to have my phone connected to my Macbook. I thought I would use widgets a lot when I got my Galaxy S2 but the only one I use is the weather APP and power control widget. I don't like a lot of clutter on my screen and I prefer just to go into the APP rather than using a widget.

What I do really like about the Android platform is I can get access to the file system, download files via the web browser like a normal computer and have more user control over the operating system. The killer feature though for me is the navigation system along with google maps. Hopefully in the next year or two Apple Maps will be much better than what is today.

My wife on the other hand loves her 3Gs and I will end up getting her an iPhone 5 early next year. She doesn't want to leave the Apple ecosystem because if its simplicity and she has so much stuff already in it.

Nice thing with having competition is us consumers have a choice :)

Vetvito
Oct 10, 2012, 06:46 PM
^ you still use wires to connect your phone?

Use mifile , or any of the other gazillion apps to wireless transfer your files using wifi.

lunaoso
Oct 10, 2012, 06:53 PM
Really? Before Siri, it didn't have voice commands. I couldn't write a text message with it. One of the reasons I went with Android in the first place. Then there was the notifications. Now they have copied Android and made them nice. But if Android had never been around, you'd probably still be dealing with pop up notifications only.

Actually, iOS did have voice commands before Siri, just not as good as Siri obviously. You could use it for music and calling people though.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 10, 2012, 09:13 PM

yeah that is my though. Hell I find it funny that they seem to think you HAVE to put a custom rom on your phone. Sorry but nope. MOst people do not. I have zero interest in putting a custom rom on my Galaxy Nexus. Hell I have not even bothered rooting it yet. Now I do need to get around to rooting it but I just do not have the motivation to do it and there really not much I use that requires root. THe biggest thing I am missing is the ad blocking software I ran.

DJTaurus
Oct 11, 2012, 12:50 PM
One Android User's iPhone App Envy
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410275,00.asp

Vetvito
Oct 13, 2012, 10:41 AM
^ stopped reading after he said less piracy.

A lot of apps are great on the iPhone though, I just don't see this wide margin people are referring to.

Vetvito
Oct 13, 2012, 10:44 AM
yeah that is my though. Hell I find it funny that they seem to think you HAVE to put a custom rom on your phone. Sorry but nope. MOst people do not. I have zero interest in putting a custom rom on my Galaxy Nexus. Hell I have not even bothered rooting it yet. Now I do need to get around to rooting it but I just do not have the motivation to do it and there really not much I use that requires root. THe biggest thing I am missing is the ad blocking software I ran.

Coming from android to this iPhone was a major eye opener. Out the box Android wins hands down to me, but once jail broken though the iPhone can hold its own. (power user).