Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
This goes for other Apps too, I just noticed it with Firefox. I just got my iBook yesterday and am really getting into testing it out today. I tried to download Firefox to decide whether I wanted to use Firefox or Safari (No opinions please, I'm making my own decision).
However, when I download FF, it downloads the DMG and puts something on my desktop. But, I want nothing except my HD icon on my desktop and it won't let me run Firefox unless it's on the desktop. How do I install it into the Applications folder like the rest of them?

Thanks!

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Drag it (the Firefox icon/app) from the Disk Image over to your Applications folder, or wherever you want, and start it from there.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Double click on the .dmg file. When this opens drag the file named Firefox into your Applications folder. (This is a notmal procedure for most apps)

::20ROGERSC::

EDIT: I don't see why this should be creating a shortcut, but try it again!!

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
1. Quit Firefox
2. Remove Firefox icon from the Dock if neccessary (drag it off).
3. Mount DMG, if not already mounted.
4. Drag the Firefox icon to your Applications folder.
5. Unmount DMG
6. Delete DMG
7. Doubeclick on Firefox in the Application folder

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
In case it isn't clear, when you get new applications, DO NOT drag them directly from the disk image to the dock. You have to put them in the applications folder, or somewhere else on your Mac's HD and outside the dmg. :)

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
dubbz said:
1. Quit Firefox
2. Remove Firefox icon from the Dock if neccessary (drag it off).
3. Mount DMG, if not already mounted.
4. Drag the Firefox icon to your Applications folder.
5. Unmount DMG
6. Delete DMG
7. Doubeclick on Firefox in the Application folder
I know nothing about DMG's or anything so how do I mount/unmount it?

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
mkrishnan said:
In case it isn't clear, when you get new applications, DO NOT drag them directly from the disk image to the dock. You have to put them in the applications folder, or somewhere else on your Mac's HD and outside the dmg. :)

Err.. Yes. :p

When I wrote "or wherever you want" I didn't mean the Dock as a valid place. Sorry about that.

Edit:

I know nothing about DMG's or anything so how do I mount/unmount it?

DMG is the disk images (.dmg) file you download.

To mount them, just doubleclick on them. To unmount them press the little button (looks like an eject icon) next to the Disc in the finder. Or you can ctrl/right-click it on the desktop and choose the "Eject" option.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
dubbz said:
Err.. Yes. :p

When I wrote "or wherever you want" I didn't mean the Dock as a valid place. Sorry about that.

LOL, you forget what's obvious, I guess? I honestly didn't have that much trouble with this concept, but a *lot* of people seem to, so.... :eek:

BTW, to unmount a disk image, drag the icon to the trash. This does not delete it -- to do that, go to wherever you saved it on the disk, or spotlight it, and then drag the actual image file to the trash. :)

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
iMatt mini said:
Ok, I got it now. At least it seems that way. I assume by mount/unmount you just meant eject disk? :confused:
It worked by doing that so, thanks. :)

Yes. Umount = Eject :)

Great that you worked it out :D

ironMonkey

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2005
thanks alot, i'm a mac noob who had the same problem. tried to drag the firefox icon into the dock and not into the app folder. now it works perfectly. thanks guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.