Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
the parched earth of North Texas
I'm I the only one who seems to think that one should have the option to put the "Do Not Disturb" toggle switch in the Notification Center?

I don't use it all the time, nor schedule a time for it so it seems counter intuitive to have to go through several steps to enable it. And, after all, it's in the Notifications tab in settings.

Thanks

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
I'm I the only one who seems to think that one should have the option to put the "Do Not Disturb" toggle switch in the Notification Center?

I don't use it all the time, nor schedule a time for it so it seems counter intuitive to have to go through several steps to enable it. And, after all, it's in the Notifications tab in settings.

Thanks

WTF are you talking about? you tap "settings", tap the DnD switch to turn in on or off. DONE.

how much more simple do you want it?

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
I never understood why anyone would want quick settings in "Notification Center" since it was designed for quick access to your "Notifications". I understand that other phones have that setting in there notification centers but it doesn't seem like to me that-that is what they were designed for.

brammp

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
I never understood why anyone would want quick settings in "Notification Center" since it was designed for quick access to your "Notifications". I understand that other phones have that setting in there notification centers but it doesn't seem like to me that-that is what they were designed for.

Being able to post to Twitter/Facebook is not a "notification."

ah123

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011

I wouldn't mind where they were, to be honest, I just don't want to have to go through 2/3 layers of clicks to turn wi-fi on/off, or 3G, etc. Notification Centre just always seemed the most easy-access place.

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
I wouldn't mind where they were, to be honest, I just don't want to have to go through 2/3 layers of clicks to turn wi-fi on/off, or 3G, etc. Notification Centre just always seemed the most easy-access place.

There have been other methods discussed about in the forum that can achieve this without using the notification center. I think one of them suggested revamping spotlight? I don't remembere exactly.

I think it's great that apple gives me the ability to turn the "widgets" off if I don't want to use them but I think if apple wants to do a quick setting option then NC isn't where they should put it. IMHO NC wasn't designed for quick settings.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Your method:

- swipe down on screen for notification center
- tap DnD button to turn on/off

Current method:

- tap Settings app
- tap DnD button to turn on/off

can you clarify how your method saves you steps or makes it easier?? :confused:

I have more than one screen. Settings is not on all of them. At minimum, if I keep settings on my home screen I will have to press the home button, then tap settings, then tap DND.

And if DND is scheduled, you will have to go into notifications settings.

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
I have more than one screen. Settings is not on all of them. At minimum, if I keep settings on my home screen I will have to press the home button, then tap settings, then tap DND.

Just thought I would add that you can turn off DND after it is scheduled to turn on from the main settings screen without going in to notifications. Just slide the button to off and it will stay off until it is scheduled to turn on again.

Crispy Duck

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Manchester, UK
I agree with OP

I agree that the setting should be in Notification Centre.

I got used to it being there in Mountain Lion. Hidden at the top of NC requiring an extra scroll down to reveal the switch.
When I first installed iOS6. I opened the NC and did a little extra scroll down, presuming the Do Not Disturb toggle to be hidden there like it is on the desktop. Was quite surprised it wasn't there. I thought Apple were all for a 'consistent' user experience?

And also, to justify the setting being in NC. Do Not Disturb is a 'feature" of Notification Centre. i.e. "Notify Me" or "Keep Quiet" So the setting is a part of NC.

Other quick toggles to Brightness, Wi-Fi, 3G, Bluetooth. Should also be in there –*but hidden behind that extra little scroll – so only visible when prompted. Much quicker than searching through the Settings. In fact it would be great if there was a tick box for each setting we'd want in there – the same as there are for notifications.

ah123

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011

Not only that - but if you want to do this while you're in an app, you have to exit the app first.

If the quick-access settings are within NC, you can invoke it from any app you are in, change the setting, then get back to the app. That alone saves time and hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.