Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thensrud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
ND
I recently purchased an ATI 9800 Pro Mac Edition 128MB card. I downloaded the ATI Displays software then followed the instructions of installing the card into my G5. But, when installed, nothing comes up on the screen. I've plugged into the VGA and DVI ports (using a DVI to VGA adapter) and nothing shows up.

I read that resetting the PRAM may help but couldn't get that to work at all. I can reinstall my old card and get the display to work.

Any suggestions?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Can you boot from another volume? (Install DVD etc.)?

I assume that card should work out of the box with Mac OS X Leopard, i.e. no extra drivers / software needed.

thensrud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
ND
I tried the safe boot option but that didnt work.

Currently i am using the CD drive power cable for the card (until i get a splitter) so i can't use the CD drive. I am running 10.5.8 which should have all the ATI drivers preinstalled.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
OP, few questions for the start:
– which G5 it is?
– do you get chime?
– PRAM reset doesn't work (i.e. you can't get second chime)?

Some troubleshooting tips:
– triple check power cable which feeds power to the card – maybe plug had loosed
– reset PRAM using old card then put back 9800 and test
– connect to G5 via screen sharing if you have another Mac and see how System Profiler recognizes 9800

Post pic of the card, esp. sticker on the back with product number.

thensrud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
ND
Its a G5 DP 1.8 Ghz. 2.5 GB ram (4GB max) running 10.5.8 (early 2004?)

With the ATI card i do get the startup chime. I cannot get it to reset the PRAM with the old card either (no restart or second chime). Is there a firmware password that is restricting that? How do i fix that?

the card is the ATI 9800 Pro 128 MB
SN:230324012554
PN:102A0751600 000001

r9800pro256_board.jpg

thensrud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
ND
I did just get the PRAM to reset i believe. I removed some of the RAM. Prompt came up with the old card installed to restart the computer or power down. But after that i installed the new card with no success still.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
the card is the ATI 9800 Pro 128 MB
SN:230324012554
PN:102A0751600 000001

Card is not a Mac Edition. It's a PC DELL or Compaq OEM part. If it looks exactly like on picture (16 RAM chips or 8 on one side), it isn't even flashable.

Return it if you can, because it's not what you wanted to buy.

thensrud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
ND
Dumb. Is 109-a07500-00 a Mac Compatible PN? This is what the seller listed. Is there a website that states the PC and Mac card PN's to show extra proof?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
http://apps.ati.com/102lookup/ – ATI products decoding site – but it will not decode 109 number because it isn't ATI number AFAIK.

Again: is this card exactly that same as on pic you've posted? It's important.

Provide as much info as you can, otherwise I wouldn't be able to help. Post a link where did you buy it.

One general rule: if 9800 is genuine Mac one or proper PC version flashed with proper ROM it will work in any AGP G5 plug'n'play. If it does not, possibilities are:
– bad card
– improper ROM on the card (flashed one)
– improper card to be flashed (non flashable one)
No other possibilities.

Last edited:

thensrud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
ND
I was able to contact the seller. He apologized that he screwed up (meaning that he knew the card was not the correct one). I am returning the card and he is reimbursing me.

Thank you so much for helping me out. I'll use the information you have stated to make sure if I buy another card that it is the correct model.

----------

I was able to contact the seller. He apologized that he screwed up (meaning that he knew the card was not the correct one). I am returning the card and he is reimbursing me.

My card looks more like this. Either way, i was having tons of trouble trying to get this thing to work I just decided to return it and deal with getting a good card another time.

R9800PRO_Mac.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.